5,921 results
All reviewsribsthe white sandsadult poolthe salt water poola la carte restaurantsfishel doradosports barmain poolmayan suitetravel clubpunta emiliajunior suitewhite partysegway tourriviera lobbysomething for everyone
Reviewed 27 May 2012

After a wonderful stay at Grand Palladium Bavaro in Punta Cana a few years back, we were once again excited to stay in a Palladium Resort for our first trip to Mexico. We were not disappointed! I traveled to Grand Palladium from May 17-24 with my adult son and adult daughter. I emailed the resort ahead to request rooms in the Kantenah section, rooms next to each other, since my son had his own room, and an upper floor. When we arrived, we had been upgraded to Junior Suites in the Colonial section, which we ended up being thrilled with. Thank you Grand Palladium for the upgrade!! We were in Villa 9, rooms next to each other, on an upper floor, just as requested. Our villa was just a short walk to the beach. The location was perfect for us!
Brief observations:
-Beach is beautiful! Rocky parts as mentioned by others, but there are sections that aren't. We always found chairs and a palapa. Lots of shade from palm trees as well.
-Pools areas are enormous, We are beach people, but spent one afternoon at one of the pools, and enjoyed it very much. Seemed like tons of chairs there too. Although we didn't spend the day at the saltwater pool, we enjoyed walking up there a few times and just sitting for a bit. Very different experience from the regular beach, and just beautiful.
-Food was very good to just OK. Breakfast buffet is good, lunch buffet was OK, and only did the buffet once for dinner because we arrived back very late from an excursion. We did the ala cartes for all our other dinners. We eat on the early side, so we never had a wait to get in. As everyone's tastes are different, I won't list our favorites and not so favorites. Service in all of the ala cartes was good, a little hit or miss in the buffets. You will not go hungry at this resort.
-Grounds are just beautiful. Perfectly maintained. As in Punta Cana, there are workers everywhere tending to the grounds and resort. I am so impressed by how hard these people work. There is so much to see and do on the grounds if you want.
-Rooms were a little on the "older" side, but we still loved our room for the little time we were in it. We always came back to a clean room, with cute towel art.
-Spa is lovely and peaceful. We didn't spend too much time there, but I was very impressed with what I saw. My daughter hit the gym first thing each morning to work out, and said it was good, but would like to mention that it is very warm in there, and that the sun shines in right on those working out early, which made it difficult to see. Perhaps some shades to pull down in the early hours for those working out?
We loved our first trip to Mexico, and Grand Palladium did not disappoint us at all! The staff was wonderful, friendly and helpful. We booked with Apple Tours, and were not impressed with the Apple reps at the resort, but that is not the resorts fault. If we are ever able to travel to Mexico again, we would stay here again without hesitation. Thank you again Grand Palladium for our upgrade and great location of our villa. We appreciate it very much!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Beachlover022
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2012

Dear Beachlover022,

I appreciate you comments and I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your room and the hotel. Thank you for your confidence in Palladium.

Banesa M° Burque

Reviewed 27 May 2012

Our first trip to Mexico. Looks like we picked a good one.
The hotel very generously upgraded us to a Mayan Suite as it was our anniversary - complete with bottle of champagne - Wow!! and Thanks!.
The resort is just awsome; made up of 4 hotels surrounded and lnked by tropical gardens with walkways within the natural junglescape.
The weather was a bit of a shock, not just the temperature, but the humidity. This is a tropical jungle after all and we had to use the respite of the rooms aircon many a time as many of the public areas are open rather than enclosed and airconditioned - this is a feature of the hotel and if you can stand the humidity, it is beautiful.
The entertainment team is outstanding and the shows are first class.
Buffet dining can be a little noisy, but the choice of 8 or more restaurants for evening dining is great. Brazilian, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, etc. The best one for us was the Mexican and special mention to Victor - the best waiter of the hotel and he deserves to be well rewarded.
Its always possible to find a few things that niggle, such as the aircon could have been better, the shower water could have been hotter, etc - but you have to look at al the things this resort does to keep guests happy; and it does this in spades.
Note: this hotel is on the Riviera Maya, away from the hotel zone of Cancun, but its all the better for it - Paradise.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank been-and-got-t-shirt

Dear been-and-got-t-shirt,

Thank you for share with us your comments and It's a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your anniversary in Palladium.

Sincerelly,

Reviewed 27 May 2012

Yes, second time in this hotel and it was even better than the first time. I'm already planning the third stay for late December this year. I've seen on Tripadvisor many well deserved reviews from returning guests. Thank you for taking care of my request to accommodate my family and my cousin's family on the same floor!
The resort is huge and very nice blended with nature. Lots of wildlife. I especially liked the shaded paths from my room to the reception and to the main pool. After a hearty meal, walking was the best thing to do. The resort is spread out on a huge area, so it's never crowded. I've been over the Christmas period but I'm a little late posting this review now.
Stayed in block 6, first floor and the room was very clean and large. No need to use the air condition during the night. There were no mosquitoes. The only downside was the uncomfortable pillow. I waked up every morning with the birds song, very nice way to start a day. Food was gorgeous, huge choices at the buffet to meet with all tastes. I enjoyed the Italian and the Mediterranean restaurants as well. We even have lobster at the Christmas eve dinner. Good point that you don't have to pay to eat in the a la carte restaurants. Usually in European all inclusive hotels you have to pay for a la carte. I never tried the Brazilian restaurant, next time I will hopefully do.
The pools are huge, great animation team especially for kids. My son enjoyed water polo and quiz contests. Too bad that the archery contest never took place because lack of participants, as well as the Spanish lessons.
Nice Spa with plenty free facilities, not as crowded as I expected. Just be prepared to give the room card as a guarantee for the towels and locker. They gave me the wrong card at departure, so I had to go at the reception for a replacement card.
Weather in December is perfect, very pleasant for outside sports like tennis. Nice live shows in the evening. Beach is nice, but not as nice as the beaches near Tulum. So I encourage you to hire a car to drive around, don't get stuck with the resort. The beaches in Tulum are gorgeous, stretching from the Tulum maya ruins to Boca Paila. There are many things to see around: wonderful fresh water cenote, adventure parks like Xplore, Xcaret and Xel-Ha theme parks, maya ruins, Sian Ka'an biosphere reserve. Near Akumal town there's a beach where you can swim with marine turtles. The ATV tours are an interesting way to see the jungle... Just watch out where you park in Puerto del Carmen, we ended up without the rear plate - as a guarantee for the fine.
The only downside of my stay was the weekly dinner on the beach which wasn't as I expected. Very poor choices compared with the buffet. And a lot of coatis disturbing us ... please don't feed them, they became too naughty!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank gabysb

Dear gabysb,

I would like to give you thank you for your good comments.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything or with your reservation for December.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

We stayed in The colonial between 5 and 19 of May.
The hotel is huge even after reading the reviews you do not realise how big this resort is. However once you got your bearing and found the short cuts you did get used to the size.
We stayed in block 21 which was central to most areas. We were upgraded to a junior suite which was great.Our cleaner Laura did an excellent job of ensuring our room was well presented and her towel art was amazing.

The buffets were a little hit and miss.The breakfast was very good however you did sometimes have to wait ages for coffee to be served and not once did you have a teaspoon to stir your tea or coffee if you take sugar. Having said that the food was always hot.
The buffet at lunchtime was very good whether you eat by the pool or in the main restaurant.
The evening buffet was not that great the food was more often than not luke warm.
The A La Cartes we tried were the Asian ,Ribs & More The Brazilian and the Italian Portofino. Our favourite was the Italian. The food was always hot and the service was excellent. Our waiter Nelson was really good. The Ribs & more well the steak was very good however the rest of the meal which was Jacket potatoe sweetcorn and 1 onion ring was all cold.

The Pools
All the pools were very clean.They did have a pool for all types of people.The main pool could become very noisy however if this was not your cup of tea they had the adults pool which were quiet and comfortable. We used the adults pool at the White sands alot. The barman Santos was a credit to the hotel. He was always cheerful helpful and he used to come aroun the sunbeds at least 3 times to ask if you wanted a drink.We did try the other adult pool but by the middle of the day the pool always was full of flys and no waiter service.There was never a problem getting sunbeds there was always plenty to be had by the pools.

Wildlife

This was amazing. This was our 3rd visit to Mexico and where we saw the most wildlife and beautiful coloured birds.

Entertainment
We went to 2 shows at the riviera. The Forever Rock which was very good and The Pirate Show which I didnt enjoy at all.Transportation backi to the colonial was a nightmare once the shows had finished. We walked back however some people were waiting up to 50 mins as the train only took 20 people at a time and it was definately a free for all to get on.
Entertainment in the Colonial lobby could have been better. They all seemed to sing the same songs and I did feel at weekends it was very much catered for the Mexican weekend visitors.

Trips
We went to Coba which we booked through Thomson. The day was very good and the trip very professional. It was well worth $110 each.
We also went to Coco Bongo in Playa Del Carmen. This we booked by the pool at one of the Coco bongo sites.It was great we paid $65 each which included speedy entrance. We were looked after very well. This place is amazing you cant see a show like this anywhere else in this area.

Well we did have a really great holiday my only complaint was as the resort was so big you never had the same waiter at your meals or at the bars. I did miss the repore you have with the staff.

The hotel and grounds are immaculate.

Would I return I dont know I think I would prefer a smaller hotel and perhaps nearer Playa Del Carmen. I did feel a little isolated there was nothing to see outside the complex without catching a bus.

Room Tip: High Floor as the ice machines are on the ground floor and can be quite noisy
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Susan S

Dear mogsy,

Thank you for share with us your comments. All comments, positive and negative is help for improve our work every day.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Sincerelly,

Reviewed 26 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel at the end of April to beginning of May, staying on the Colonial site, villa 7, which was quite centralised.
Yes it is huge, but you needed a walk after all the food that was consumed! and, I'm sorry, but if you resorted to taking the buggies or train all the time, you were very lazy and you missed a lot of the wildlife.The buffet breakfast were good as was the buffet lunches around the two pool areas. You never had to wait long for a waiter to come and serve you with drinks. We only had buffet evening meals twice and were a little disappointed, it was like a cattle drive, quite noisy and if you arrived after 8.30 the tablecloths were in need of changing. I do not like to sit at a table for dinner with a dirty cloth and both times I moved from the where I was shown to another table with a cleaner one.
The a la carte restaurants were wonderful, only once did we have to wait just under an hour and we just took ourselves off to the nearest bar with our pager and waited till we were called. if you arrive before 8.00 there is a good chance of going straight in. They do tend to serve you quite quickly and the first few days we felt quite rushed until we asked the waiter to give us 10 mins between the courses, this was no problem. We tried all aprt from the Japanese and found them all to be of a very good standard with very friendly staff. I would thoroughly recommend going to the fish restaurant on the beach. It is transformed from a beach bar in the day to a lovely restaurant at night. We did find the menu was a little limited but it's worth going to if only to see the racoons! If you're not careful they will steal the food right off your table! the waiters do their best to clear them off but they just creep back. They will feed from your hand but watch out for the teeth, they were extremely cute.
During the day we tried the beach a few times.....very disappointed! Extremely crowded, the first few rows of beds had no shade so if you wanted that then you were way back from the front. Unless you got there early you had to walk for ages to find a bed with no towel on it, despite the hotel saying reserving beds was not allowed. There were only 2 places that you could enter the sea as it was a little rocky, there was a lot of weed, although this was cleared first thing, it didn't take long to build up again. Also a considerable lack of fish! we had stayed at the El Dorado Seaside Suites, just a mile up the road, the previous year and while everyone moaned about the sand bags in the sea to help the erosion (they weren't particularly pretty) they did a fantastic job of luring in the brightly coloured fish. Here all we saw were 2 small shoals of silver fish approx 6" long.
The main pools were very big with plenty of beds but, being in our 60's, we didn't appreciate the constant boom boom and noise that surrounded them. We found the 2 adult only pools were great, very quite, nice bars, waiter came round the beds a couple of times in the day at the White Sands one. The water was beautiful, in the morning cool but by mid afternoon it was like stepping into a warm bath.
Our room was ok, air conditioning worked well although we also had the fan on a couple of nights. Our cleaner did an excellent job and we loved the daily towel sculptures. Because you are in the middle of a mangrove forest, we had no view apart from a bunch of trees! but it kept the sun off the room and so it stayed cool, which considering the heat outside was a blessing.
The bars at each of the 4 lobbies were slightly different in furniture, entertainment and views but all had very friendly and efficient staff, we never had an empty glass for long. Some singers were better than others!
There was plenty of wildlife around the complex including coaties, racoons, iguana of all sizes, there were monkeys in the trees although we could hear them we never saw them, very colourful birds, herons, kingfishers and pelicans, there was always something that caught your eye, keep your camera with you at all times!
I must say that this hotel is among one of the cleanest I have visited, everywhere you went there were cleaners, the place is spotless! my one big disappointment was that while I was there it was my birthday and my husband mentioned this to the lady at guest relations when booking the fish restaurant, she gave a shrug of her shoulders. On arriving at the restaurant again my husband told the maitre d before we were seated...again no response. We even told the waiter when we asked him to take a photograph....nothing! yet when we visited the Italian one evening a lady had a birthday, she was given a cake with what looked like a roman candle on it, and the entertainers came to her table to sing Happy Birthday, was she American or Canadian and did she hand out large tips? maybe that was the answer.
In spite of it's size and the beach being so crowded, we never found that to be a problem at the bars in the evenings, always somewhere to sit. After 10 days we were a little stir crazy after having just one day trip out (we were there for 14) Overall a very restful stay and I would recommend it for both families and couples as there were aeas that suited both.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank travelling2ross
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2012

Dear travelling2ross,

Thank you for taking time to share with us and other readers your comments on Tripadvisor. All comments, positive and negative, are help for improve our work every day. I will take note about your comments about the restaurantes and I will share this information with our F&B managers and our Maitres.
I would like to give you my apologies for any incident that your have had in your vacation.

Please, if you decide visit the hotel in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Banesa M° Burque