Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Coba(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$285
US$312
US$373
  • Pool
Las Villas Akumal(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$168
Travelocity
US$355
Orbitz.com
Hotel Que Onda(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$68
TripAdvisor
5,671 results
All reviewsribsthe white sandsadult poolthe salt water poola la carte restaurantsfishel doradosports barmayan suitemain pooltravel clubpunta emiliajunior suitewhite partysegway tourriviera lobbymare nostrum
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Just returned from the Grand Palladium Colonial Resort and it not what we expected from a Palladium Hotel.

Check in was a breeze, thankfully after an hour and a half bus ride from the airport and we also given an upgrade to a Junior suite. Room is clean, always fully stocked. Resort is huge and very rain forest like. All the walk ways to the room and to the main lobby are thru the forest that have all the animals which will come out and greet you, so be prepared. If your someone who does not enjoy the outdoors, this is not the hotel for you. Beach is beautiful however not clean, seaweed is everywhere and space is limited as the beach is not very wide. Many beach chairs but not a lot of palapas (huts). Pool is amazing and huge, but to our surprise is 5'3 inches deep all around. So, if you not a swimmer ,it will not be enjoyable unless you bring a floater. White Sands resort pool is 4'3 inches deep which is much better if you dont know how to swim. Food was ok, very repetitive. Buffet was only good at breakfast, restaurants are awful especially the Japanese resto at the Kantenah resort. Service is a hit and miss EVERYWHERE in this resort. You could wait forever for a coffee, drinks, etc. No waiter servers at pool or beach side. Experienced a few times in beach and lobby bar others were served before me even though I was there before them. Most servers are rude. Great hotel for Families with children and couples. If your single, this is not the resort your looking for. A lot of shows are activities are for kids.

We'll not return to this hotel

Room Tip: We stayed at Villa 21-close to pool, beach, lobby...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank M2M_12
Management response:Responded 21 June 2012

Dear M2M_12,

I am sorry to know that you didn't like the hotel. We always try to do our best work for that our guest have a great vacation with us in Palladium. This time was not possible.

Please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

With best regards,

Reviewed 17 June 2012 via mobile

I booked this resort for my family after almost a year of research. It didn't disappoint. There were a few minor issues but nothing drastic and all that was asked to be attended to was quickly.

The resort is not overwhelming large IMO. It is more just about getting around it the best way. Once you get your bearings it is rather easy to navigate. I downloaded and used the Palladium App. It worked great.

We stayed in Col section. Villa 8 in rooms 1820 and 1802. Both rooms were Jr suites and were just fine. Yes the TVs are old. Didn't bother me. The bathrooms are small in both rooms. We were on the ground floor. No bugs, no problems with noise and we had a jetted bathtub.

I will mention that I use Verizon cell service and have made several trips down to the area (1rst time @ this reaort)and have never had a problem with reception until this visit. I got no signal in either room. Outside was fine and getting the wifi in the lobby's
was easy, it just simply got no reception in the room.

We ate breakfast most days in the WS buffet. A few in Col but really it was all the same and WS was closer to us.
Breakfast was a great assortment of just about everything. We were always promptly seated and wait service was always shortly behind with coffee and water. A few times things were cold or not great but no problem. It seems they were on it and quickly replaced things.
If you didn't like something try something else.

There are tons of options to eat for lunch. Offering all sorts of things. Beach bars had little buffets plus there menu. The pool buffets had great selections of everything from burger and sandwiches, roast with potatoes, grilled to order meats, salads, fruits, breads, smoothies ect. You cannot possibly go hungry.

For dinner we ate at Ribs, bamboo, portofino, and the steakhouse. All of these dinners but the steakhouse to 2+ hours. The food was great but when traveling with kids we gave up waiting and ate most meals at the buffet. They were great. My kids loved the pasta bars and selection of fruits. The service was outstanding in all the Food places.

We did the Segway tour. It was lots of fun and way easier then they look. We also utilized the free areas of the spa several times. The spa area is great, not to be missed. We spent most of our days at the WS/RV pool. The full moon brought rough seas and so we only spent two days on the beach. We did snorkel in the saltwater pool. It was fun teaching the kids in a wave free environment. We brought our own snorkel gear. We also brought water shoes. Both came in handy and were used often. There are some rocky areas to this beach but it's very large and has plenty of great sandy areas as well. The beach is fabulous and I can't see how anyone would not find it delightful. It's large and diverse. So much to offer:)

We spent two afternoons off the resort and a evening in PDC. We called cabs mostly because it's just easier and I prefer them over collectivos. Simply my preference. Collectivos are great too and I have used them in the area. I find that taxis in the area are willing to stay with you and give great rates when negotiated with so that's why I prefer them, works well when you have a large group.

A few minor negative points....
We had tried to arrange transport via the resort for the next afternoon to take us to some cenotes in the area. The guy helping took down our info, said he would work it out. Even called to our room to confirm. Next morning, no ride. No info on us wanting a taxi called, nothing:(
We ended up waiting a hour after a "new taxi" was called. All worked out well though. We had an amazing private tour of some area cenotes. A great Mayan chicken lunch and the "new" taxi driver was perfect(and very nice on the eyes) knew exactly where we were going and what we wanted to see. Phenomal day.

We also had to watch our 13 yr old more so then the younger ones very carefully.
Her age was never once questioned. She was wearing a minors bracelet but was always offered adult beverages. In their defense she looks much older but point is that she strolled right into the spa, adult pools and other areas without even a blink from anyone. Her bracelet was never glanced at.
Overall we enjoyed the resort. My kids loved everything. They were enthralled with the resort the entire time. I'm happy with the resort and our family's experience there. It was as close to perfect as you can get when traveling with four kids.
Thanks Palladium, can't wait to try another of your fabulous resorts!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank jleigh81

Dear jleigh81,

Thank you for your time and for your review. I will take note of your comments and I will see all with our team.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

With best regards,

Reviewed 17 June 2012

This was our 4th time to Mexico as a family I travelled with my wife, 12 yr old son (who broke his arm a week before we went, more of this later). and my 6 yr old daughter. We arrived at approxiomately 1730 hrs after choosing a private transfer. Check in was swift, and we were upgraded to a junior suite located in the Colonial section. There are 4 sections to the hotel. The Colonial, Kantenah, White Sands and Riviera which includes The Royal Suites. The room was pleasant enough. I have to say though, the room roughly the same size as other rooms in Mexico we have had as standard rooms. It was cleaned every day to a good standard, well done Veronica! Mini bar was re-stocked daily with beer, water, sprite and pepsi.. My shower only provided a trickle of water on the second day. After mentioning this to reception, it was changed ready to use the next night and worked great.
Staff at recepiton and guest services were always friendly and willing to help. No problems there at all. The exchange rate for sterling offered by the hotel was £17-1 Peso and for dollars $12-1 Peso.
We only ate at the buffet once and this was at The White Sands. The food was good. A wide variety of food on offer. It was all well presented and very warm. The rest of the time we ate at the speciality restaurants. You have the choice of Brazillian, Mexican, Ribs N More, Steakhouse, Japanese, Mediterrainian and Chinese. We ate at all of these, alternating over the 2 weeks. All were very good, with a menu to suit most tastes. All fodd was presented very well, and was served hot. Service at the restaurants was also very good and also prompt. We always eat early on holiday around the 1800-1830 mark, so didnt have a wait for a table at any of the speciality places.
We only ever used the pool at the Colonial. It was a decent size, and I saw it being cleaned every day. The godsend around the pool was the fact I couls still get a shaded spot at 9am. Every other trip to Mexico has seen me creeping around at 6am sneakily putting down towels, along with everyone else. We normally travel in April when the weather is always good. We had on day of bad rain in 2 weeks. It was often overcast in the mornings, but usually faired right up by the afternoon.
This bit is subjective and I can only speak for our family. The enteretainment at this hotel is fantastic. They have a mini disco some night for the kids, to start. This is interspersed with the kids from the daily kids clubs performing shows the have rehearsed like Grease and High School Musical, The Lion King. My 2 kids loved the kids club, and also performing in the shows. They have their own place called El Ranchito close to the beach. There is also a club called Black and White at The Kantenah, where the have X boxes etc. This was folowed by a main show at the Colonial theatre. After this they moved you to The White Sands for a second show. You can either walk to different parts of the hotel, or can be taken around by a little train, or golf carts. It is a big place, but once you get your bearings, and learn the shortcuts its fairly easy. All the shows we went to were fantastic. The entertainment team sometimes mix with the hotels professional dancers to perform. There are other things on offer too. Casino games for fun, with a prize also happened at The White sands. We did not take part in the daytime entertainment except for winning The trivia quiz twice. From what I saw during the day there was plenty on offer by the team to keep you as busy as you wanted to be. Evening entertainment is important to us when choosing an hotel. There was something for everyone here. As a performer myself I felt I had to congratulate Ricky the director for the effort and professionalism of his team. The attention to detail in the costumes, sets and lighting are a credit to him and his team. I went to the disco once, and found this to be a great little venue to end your evening. Another little haven for me was Hemmingways bar in the Kantenah. This is a non smoking bar where I went for an hour at the end of an evening, on my own to read my book. It is an adult only bar. Its smoking counterpart, Churchills is more or less next door. In these bars the serve premium brand alcohol.This coupled with comfy sofas made for a great end to the evening on most nights, to sit and read my book. The only time this was spoiled for me was when the had a piano player playing. I am calling him a piano player as he played all the right notes but not always in the right order. On most songs he usually threw in a couple of notes of his own that you wont hear in the original songs!!!. To say he was bad is an understatement of mammoth proportions.
The drinks served at the bar were of a good quality, and the cocktails were usually well mixed. For those of us who are not a big fan of light beer, the have a dark Dos Equis on offer. The bar staff work hard. They take on about 3-4 orders at a time so there may be the odd drink missed from your order, a gentle reminder works better than shouting!
The staff here all work very hard to make sure you have a great time. The work for next to nothing compared to us, so please remember to leave a tip.
As I mentioned befroe my son broke his arm before we went. We got a special cover for it so he could go in the pool. I was still worried about it getting went. I went to see the concierge and enquired where I could get some cling film to wrap his plaster before we pu the cover on. The concierge told me she lived close to a Wall Mart and would getsome and bring it in the next day. True to her word she did this. That piece of fantastic service goes beyond duty. I feel that in their own way evety member os staff does this, and it is reflected in my thanks to them. I have never been to the same rersort in Mexico twice. I am however seriously considering going again next year. If I dont, I will definately will be staying at a Fiesta resort in the future. My wife is a travel agent, and considers this chain to be very good. I hope you go here, and if you do, I hope you have as good a time as we had. A fantastic place, which has an abundance of trees and wildlife that really make you feel you are somewhere special. Have fun.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank thefinnsDurham

Dear thefinnsDurham,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your comments. I appreciate your time.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you in the future.

Banesa Burque

Reviewed 16 June 2012

My wife and I just returned from a week at the Grand Palladium Colonial. We stayed there from May 26th until June 2nd. For the most part the resort is very good.

I know many reviews mention how large the property is. Pay attention to those comments. Upon arrival the size can be a little overwhelming. Plan on taking the resort map with you when you take your first few walks around. I found the resort map as well as the numerous signs helped me to negotiate the many shortcut paths through the jungle areas.

Check in was nice and easy. We booked our vacation with the Palladium Travel Club promotion website. They asked for our confirmation and final payment; it could not have been any easier. Once the check in was complete the bell boy loaded our luggage onto the cart and drove us to our room. We felt bad for the bell boy. It was his first day on the job and he didn't know where the room was. Fortunately the villas are laid out very well so we learned together.

We booked a junior suite. It was very nice. I have read many comments about the rooms being outdated and the beds and pillows being uncomfortable. In our opinion they were perfectly fine.
The room was spacious, was cleaned everyday, the refrigerator was well stocked and the air conditioner worked well. The only substandard feature of the room was the television. The picture quality was very poor.

The restaurants were very good to excellent. We enjoyed the buffet in the Colonial for breakfast and had a couple of dinners there as well. The food and service in the Colonial buffet were always good. One night we tried the buffet at the White Sands. They must have had an off night. The food was cold and lacked flavor. Lunches were hit or miss. We had a bad first impression our first full day there. It started raining just before we were ready for lunch. We decided to go to the beach restaurant Punta Emilia. I don't know if the rain made it busier than normal but we waited for our lunch for over 40 minutes before we gave up and left. We then wandered down to the beach bar/restaurant on the Colonial beach. It was serve yourself so at least we were able to get some food. The trouble was it was horrible. The hamburgers and hot dogs were probably the worst I have ever eaten. On the other hand the a la carte restaurants were excellent. We ate at the Japanese, the Brazilian, the seafood restaurant on the beach (Punta Emilia) and the Mexican restaurant. Without exception they were excellent from start to finish.

The beach was magnificent. There were always plenty of palapas available so we could get a break from the sun. The northern part of the beach is very sandy and the southern has lots of coral. We enjoyed walking in the sandy parts and I loved snorkeling at the southern end. The snorkeling was excellent right off the beach. There was a wide variety of fish and on occasion a sting ray. One afternoon I spent around 20 minutes swimming a few feet away from a large ray. It was amazing.

I booked a snorkeling trip to Akumal Bay with Scuba Caribe (they are right on site). The trip was only $40.00 and they guarantee you will see turtles. The trip lasts around 2 hours and is highly recommended.

Since we booked through the Palladium Travel Club we were required to attend a 90 minute sales presentation. The young fellow that showed us around the Royal area was very polite and informative. We declined to purchase a membership and after speaking to a manager and then the owner we were free to go. I am sure the club has value for some people but since we only travel once or twice a year we could not justify the cost.

The shows in the evening were among the best we have ever seen in the Caribbean or Mexico. We enjoyed every show and liked the fact they had both early and late performances.

We knew when we booked the reservation the room would not have an ocean view due to the design of the resort (they went out of their way to minimize the impact on the local environment). The vast majority of the rooms have beautiful views of the jungle but our personal preference has always been an ocean view.

We truly enjoyed our week and recommend the Grand Palladium Colonial.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MikeandSher

Dear MikeandSher,

It's a pleasure to know that you have had a good time with us. I will check your observations with the rest of the team.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if you decide to visit us in the future.

Banesa Burque

Reviewed 13 June 2012

We travelled with First Choice & stayed for 10 nights in May 2012,
Please dont let any reviews put you off this amazing hotel. The hotels facilites are fantastic as are the staff. We had a quick transfer with Coronas on hand for a small fee, the various hotel lobbies where spotless as where the rest of the hotel and grounds. A train is provided that runs to & from the different lobbies but is no longer then a 15 minute walk, all the al acarte's are dotted around the 3 lobbies, ribs and more & the brazilain was very tasty the only one we didnt rate was the chinese and we wasnt advised we had to book the bbq on the beach the day before so missed out on that. The list of coctails was great and the barstaff arent shy at making anything you asked for.
There is plenty of wildlife at the hotel, flamingos, crocodiles, racoons etc... make sure you have a good walk round with your camara.
The spa is free to go into and has free water treatments to try. Our room was clean, large lots of space for your clothes and luggage, loved the walk in shower and the bed very comfy. The fridge was stocked everyday with beers, softdrinks and water.
The beach was spotless with plenty of sunbeds free as was the pool, plenty of entertainment to get involved in if you wished.
We did two trips- one of the seven wonders of the world and snorkling with sea turtles both brilliant trips. The trip to the pryamid was a few hours drive but the staff on the coach handed out beers, coffee, water and snacks for the full journey, first choice arrived before all the crowds and left the site before the midday sun arrived, next stop cave pool.
Its easy to see the area without doing the trips if you walk out of the hotel to the main road and take one of the mini buses ( to the left) on the main road to turtle beach you can snorkel out with the turtles free of charge. if you take a mini bus to the right you can go to playa del carr and visit the many bars and restraunts down 5th avenue both worth a look and at only a few pound each, each way. On a whole we found the mexican people very welcomming and cant wait to go back

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Leanne C
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Dear Leanne C,

It's a pleasure to know that you have had a great vacation with us. Thank you.