“worst holiday ever”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Just came back from this hotel ..where to start ...pros ..all I can say it the bar and cleaning staff work hard .....cons everything food.cold same thing everyday just in a different sauce but again cold cold cold..rooms dark not enough light none off plugs fit this is never ever been a 5 star hotel..loads off groups off Canadian people who are very very very loud and are always shouting to each other even though Sat next to each other ..waited all year for this holiday and paid loads it was my hubby 60th on New year eve asked about sourting out a cake it was yes you have to pay I knew I would but even on the day the women in restaurant gave my hubby the receipt so in the end he knew all about it ....never again will I stay in a big hotel again

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank mitchsooty
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear mitchsooty,

I would like to offer you my apologies for the incidents that you have had during your vacation. I am sorry to know that you have left the hotel with these bad impressions.

Please, if I can help you in the future with anything, don't hesitate to contact with me.

Best regards,

Reviewed 10 January 2014

We have visited this hotel many times and were greeted on our arrival like family...it was like coming home....
it never ceases to amaze me how everytime we go it just gets BETTER and BETTER.....improvements are made and things changed to make your stay the Best it can possibly be.

We stayed in a Mayan Suite in the Colonial section...perfect location for everything including the beach and Dive Centre ( more on that later )

The Beach is stunning and the food is just fantastic...and the Gluten free corner in the buffet is a god send and of course the gluten free menu in the ala cartes makes life so much easier...and the decoration and food for Xmas and New year must have taken some serious planning because to was out of this world...totally spoilt for choice as my waist line now shows...lol lol
The staff work so hard and always have a smile on there face and will do anything to help you.

The Kantanah section has had renovation and the lobby has had all new furniture and this year is the Colonials turn to have a make over.

So.here is my list of what the hotel has to offer.

Food.
All the ala cartes are excellent and we ate at most of them..everyone has there favorites but we have many the menus's are printed in English,French,German,Spanish and the food is of a very high standard.
The Buffets both for breakfast and lunch have an array of hot and cold dishes and freshly cooked fish,meat,pasta, paella our favorite for lunch being Bar Azul in the Colonial

Food Allergies
The hotel has a CARD Food allergy system..in place ...so if you contact the hotel before you arrive or when you arrive they will give you a card with your dietry needs / allergies on it and all you have to do is show it at any buffet / ala carte and they will immediately know what you can and can not eat and advise you. I myself can not have wheat and they really went out of there way to make sure I was looked after....please private message me for further details.

Entertainment
The animation crew are something else...they work such long hours and just love their jobs.they do many forms of enetertainment around the pool all day and..even when we had a little rain .the .entertainment was brought into the lobbys and a special congratulations go out to Bow Wow who is hilarious and Memo and the crew who seem to have boundless energy and made a rainy afternoon such fun.

Shows
These are so proffesional and the dancers are amazing...the new show on new years eve..." Musical Pop " was brilliant ...all extracts from the musicals...which was also shown on a big screen because I think there was about 2000 people celebrating in the Riviera section on new years eve... the midnight cheer was deafening.

The Bars
So many drinks to choose from and they are always inventing a new cocktail ...my husbands favorite is now
a " Vodka Parallizer " youve got to try one.....lol

The hotel was very busy...but there was always somewhere to eat and the waitresses worked so hard to make sure everyone had a drink to hand.even when you were watching a show in the theatre.

Beach
Always plenty of beach beds and stunning white sand and safe water both for swimming and snorkelling. you can walk for ever and always feel safe. and security guards patrol the beach and the whole resort 24/7 so dont ever feel you will not be well looked after here...especially if after a few too many cocktails you can't find your room...lol lol

Rooms
The maids are unbelievable the rooms are cleaned to a very high standard and wonderfull towel art every day nothing EVER got touched in our room and even though we had a safe the computer and camera's etc were left out.and we never felt like we had to hide stuff away...never a shortage of towels in fact too many some days...lol lol

Kids
There is a new Kids Aqua pool...with waterfall and slides and chutes for big kids and little ones......Oh how I wish I was a kid again... it was brilliant. There are also amazing kids clubs where you can leave your children. of all ages ..safe in the knowledge that not only will they be safe and looked after...but have so much fun that they probably won't want to leave there...lol lol

Dive Centre on Beach
My husband is a dive master and dived many many times with Aqua Excursions..they are located right on the beach in the Colonial section and you dive 10 minutes from shore..he also did a Cenotes ( cave ) dive and has some amazing pictures and videos....excellent very saftey concious staff who speak MANY languages and excellent prices..for dives and trips......... if you need any details please private message me.
They also hire out FREE OF CHARGE...snorkels and masks, pedelo's,katamarans, and also have wind surfers.

Limited Accessibility / Disability
The resort is 95% accessable for wheelchair users and the hotel is still working on these issues and can provide help should you require it...like shower stools , ramps etc.....
they also have a Disability Beach Chair that allows you to be pulled into the sea..............it is totally safe ........as my friend with M.S found out and a lot of fun... this can be hired FREE of charge from the Dive Centre.
There are also water exercise bikes in the Royal Section...and some rooms are going to be renovated to make the shower more wheelchair accessable ......This is a work in progress and many more dicussions will be held about mobility issues and everything done to make your holiday...the BEST it can be.
If you need any further help or information concerning this please private message me

The summerise.
I would like to give some very special thank you's to a few amazing people who made our stay the Best Ever
Felipe ( the carribean Director ) who's whole aim in life is to make everyones stay memorable and special and really is one of nicest kindest people you could ever meet.

Joshino ( The Hotels Director ) who keeps the whole place running smoothly and who treats his staff like friends and for whom nothing is too much trouble.and made us feel so at home and so special.

Alejandro ( Food and Beverages Director ) who really looked after my dietry needs and made sure that the standards of food and drink in the hotel are totally safe to consume and really goes out of his way to accomodate your needs.

All the staff there who work so hard to keep the place looking amazing and welcoming with a smile and a Hola

We really did have an amazing holiday and I would not hesitate for a second to reccomend this hotel to anyone.

If you have ANY questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you again to everyone for making our holiday so Special

Chrissy & Paul x

Room Tip: The Colonial section is closest to the dive centre and activity pool and kids aqua pool great locati...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
15  Thank CHRISSY007

Dear Chrissy & Paul x,

On behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your good comments and for your confidence in us.

I will share your opinion with the resto of the team.

Have a nice day!!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I went to grand palladium (riviera) for 8 days and got sick all week because of the food. we went for a wedding a group of 50 and everybody complain of the same -the service was awful. The public relations representative was arrogant and mean when you went to see her for reservations. The guy that "clean my room" Adriano, did not even clean the shower as i found hair in the floor. The resort is pretty big it has 5 lobbies and only 2 golf cars in each lobby to transport you around, they took for ever to arrive and we always had to plan with 15 mins aside for walking to places.We call the bell boy an hour before for check out and he never arrived we waited for an hour until we decided to carry our luggage 3 floors down because there was no elevator. The food in the restaurants punta emilia, portofino and rodizio were not good at all. The only restaurant that the food was good in taste and the service was really good was the japanese sumpontions. It seems that the personal is so used to expect tips before they actually do anything for you that they do not even make an effort to earn their tips. However this being said a few employees were really nice, Cecilio that works in colonial at the taxi-bell boy area (he can find good deals), William a waiter working at the laguna restaurant, Edwin and hermancio at the japanese restaurant. The installations are really nice as you see in the pictures in the hotel website, we had an oceanview room that we could not see anything because the trees were too tall. A DJ was hired for the wedding and the service was so awful that the parents of the couple when using the microphones had echo and no body could understand anything. overall i will not go back to this resort i have been to 3.5 start hotels in mexico like sea adventures in nuevo Cancun and have been treated 100 times better than this so called "4.5 stars".

Room Tip: Villas 61 and 62 are the closest to las rocas bar were a nice natural sea water pool is, also close...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank andrea g

Dear andrea g,

I am sorry to know that you have left the hotel with these impressions. We try to help our guests in every moment during their stay.
I respect your point of view and I will take note about your comments.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything in the future.

Cordially,

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Firstly the hotel can accommodate 3000 guests but fortunately many of them are not there at the same time, the complex is huge with 4 lobby's. The size of the resort is 4 square miles so its massive compared to many hotels.
With 11 restaurants to choose from there's plenty of choice and overall the food was good. You have to reserve the a la carte restaurants which could be a pain as I have seen people waiting to book a table for over an hour which is unacceptable. The bars do not give you branded drinks unless you ask specifically and tip them too.
The resort is very clean an you will always see cleaning staff around.
When we arrived we were taken to our room on a golf cart but when we opened the door it had a smell of damp-ironically its hard to dry clothes in Mexico because of the high humidity.
The rooms were dark with no direct sunlight which did not help and also the shower leaked all over the bathroom floor which in my opinion should have been picked up and reported by the maid.
The pool areas were always nice and clean with things going on all day if you like this sort of thing.
My biggest gripe was that no one cleaned the beach as there were plastic bottles, bottle tops and plastic drink containers all over the beach, I would expect a cleaning machine daily to get rid of this mess as most of the 5* hotels we have been to pride themselves on the cleanliness of the beach-but not here it seems. The sunbeds were all over the place with no one managing them so its first come first served, again I never expected this in a 5* resort.
Overall we enjoyed the holiday and Mexico too. If we go to Mexico again we would go to Playa del Carmen as there's so much to do there, you can walk around the port or have a drink in a bar or look at the street market and local shops which is not possible in Riviera Maya as its so isolated.
I forgot to mention,have a go on a Segway its about £20.00 for 1.5 hours, it was brilliant and really cheap.
In view of all of this, yes we did enjoy our stay at the Palladium but it could have been better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to a lobby
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mel01530
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Mel01530,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments. We appreciate the opinion of our guest.

Regarding the beach, unfortunately the weather not is very good and the sea leaves a lot of garbage on the shore. Continuously, We have people cleaning the beach every day.

We have two bars with premium drinks, Churchill & Hemingway. These bars open from 6 pm to 12 am every day and are located at the Kantenah Lobby.

Please, if you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with me.

Have a nice day,

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Firstly I would like to say we are not overly fussy we just believe that when you pay the amount you do to travel further afield it should still be excellent service.

So off we went on the Dreamliner from Manchester on the 17 th of December for two weeks to the grand palladium colonial riviera maya.the Dreamliner is a far better plane than anything else we have Been on,quieter,much more leg room,taller cabins,great entertainment.
Landed in can cun and then a 1 1/2 hour bus ride to the hotel .arrival at can cun airport was chaotic,very slow process.

Arrived at hotel to a nice drink and one of the only pleasant reception staff we encountered in the two weeks we stayed.we were given our room keys and taken by golf cart to our rooms in the colonial side block 5.
As we were travelling as a family of four with our two daughters 18 and 17 we had asked for rooms close by so we could actually spend time with them
Discovered our rooms were at opposite sides of these blocks so had to go out of the building and walk all the way around to the other side,not very convenient when all you need is some sun cream etc.
Rooms we were given were shocking,they stunk of damp,the air con in our daughters room was pouring water onto the floor,I rang reception immediately and told them that it wasn't acceptable and all they could say was ah well never mind.
I didn't accept this and went straight back to the reception told them we had to change rooms,thanks to nancy on reception she managed to move us two days later to the kantenah side .
These rooms are lovely,exactly what you would expect from this standard hotel.
The massive pool is noisy as other people have pointed out but it didn't bother us as we went to the beach most days but get there early if you want a sunbed.
The beach is lovely if you find the right spot,we went near the turtle nests and found it very peaceful,the sea is like a warm bath.

The food was the biggest disappointment for us
The buffet restaurants although had loads of choice was generally reheated things and mediocre salads
The a la carte restaurants were disappointing apart from the Mediterranean one which we all thought provided the best food on our trip
The all inclusive drinks are a joke as usual in these types of places,no alcohol content,rubbish mixers,loads of ice.go to the Hemingway bar ,give the guy 20 pesos(£1) and tell him how much gin or jack Daniels or whatever you drink ,to put in your drink and he will oblige.
When in the lobby having a drink before dinner ask for snacks and they bring you a little dish of nuts or little savoury nibbles,they don't offer them without asking.
Unfortunately I contracted severe gastro enteritis on the fourth day of being there so was unable to enjoy the holiday for the following week,not sure where I got this from to be honest so I can't blame the hotel directly,thankfully there is a doctor on 24 hours ,Alejandro was a godsend.
Cost me about £450 for antibiotics and the doctors time
Once I was feeling better we went to xcaret for the day,one of the many trips available.
£400 for four of us basically 25 mins on a bus,it is supposed to be a feel for Mexico
I personally thought it was a rip off ,swim in under ground caves,there was no organising the amount of people getting in the water so we spent the whole time being kicked in the face by other tourists.
Then the raft around the caves( dull) the mushroom farm( dull) the best bit was the butterfly area and the giant turtles,we didn't stay for the evening as I was still feeling rough and we never had any money left,be prepared to have them helping you part with your money.
We also went to playa del Carmel for the afternoon,taxi was £30 round trip,all I can say is dont bother unless you want to spend your time being chased around constantly by idiots trying to get you to buy their crap.
Then to top it all off my daughter had a ring stolen from her room,security came and did a search,told me they would be in touch within three days,that was a week ago and at the time they didn't seem very bothered by it.i also saw an American guy complaining about something stolen from his room.
Don't mention the loud ,obnoxious, rude Americans, loads of them,didn't give a monkeys about how loud they were and how it affected you.i will not return to riviera maya for this reason alone.

Overall I would say if you have already booked it then go with an open mind and don't take no for an answer if you have any issues.
If you are thinking of booking look elsewhere
P.s. the indigenous Mayan Mexicans were nice polite people and very considerate.

Room Tip: Don't go in colonial rooms Ask for higher room,noise from above awful
4  Thank adeandgill

Dear adeandgill,

I am sorry to know that you and your family don't have had a great stay with us. I will take note about your comments and I will share this information with the rest of the team.

I would like to comment that we are working in the refurbishment of the Colonial rooms for this year.

Have a nice day,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Arrived after an eleven hour flight and more than an hour transfer with First Choice to check in at reception, looking forward to the break and celebrate another New Yr in Mexico, were well travelled and been to Mexico on a number of occasions so quite upbeat.
Found our way across the dark lit resort to find the incorrect type of room allocated to us and smelt of damp (unhealthy), room did not look right...paid for a Junior Suite but given a Standard one, travelled back to reception to advise of the issue to be told "where is the First Choice paperwork" my reply was YOU have just seen it to give us the wrong room! (the lady was very very rude and seemed to be putting her out) Travelled back to the room due to the reception team would not deal with us until they seen the booking form, returned to reception to be allocated the correct room type but had to wait for the luggage to be delivered by the Bell Team (to the incorrect room first so it could be taken to the new one due to cases could not be diverted?!?). Arrived in the second room to find it was not ready for service Yikes!, eventually after four phone calls and one and a half hours later the room was made...we needed sleep!
Food - Self service buffets were quick and easy, average and repetitive, the other restaurants located within the resort were first come first served and as organised as the reception team. Eldorado..Given a buzzer, told it was an hour and half wait, device went off within the time allocation so finished our drinks to go for food...the restaurant team denied the buzzer went off even though it was lit up, they advised us come back in an hour so we did, upon arrival it was chaos people that was before us was still waiting and an angry Chappie that booked in after us was demanding a table...on that note and it was coming up to 10PM we decided to abort the meal and have the buffet, all the other restaurant experiences were much the same, Ribs place was freezing and so was the food so we left before finishing our meal. After that we stayed with the buffet and spoke with the First Choice Reps about it.
The entertainment was great apart from half way through it moved location to another complex so had to take the few and far between crowded shuttle trains to the venue, wear your trainers you need to run so to avoid disappointment!
Pools were nice but are cleaned with looked like "a bottle of chemical" and a rag within the day, sea and beach great though.
Overall after staying at other hotels within Mexico this is not on my next Xmas or New Yr list.

Room Tip: Check you are staying in the room you pay for, good job were checked eh!
6  Thank Claire M
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Claire M,

I am sorry to know that you don't have had a nice stay with us. I will take note about your comments. This information is help for improve our service day with day.

Please, if we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Cordially,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I returned to the Grand Palladium for our 2nd visit this year and we were not disappointed. We took our 2 adult children (19 and 24) and the Grand Palladium met all their expectations too! We stayed from Dec. 21st to 28th. I want to give a special mention and THANK YOU to Mernie at Trip Central who was so amazing and incredibly helpful in planning this trip. We were booked in the Kantenah, but were upgraded to the Mayan Suites, which were absolutely fantastic and right on the beach. The rooms (especially the outside Mayan Showers) are truly wonderful. We found the staff, rooms, grounds and service more than met our expectations. Christmas Eve was the highlight of our holiday. Lobster was the focus of the evening ...in every conceivable way... .. but they also had so much more ....ice carvings, elaborate food carvings and of course turkey and all the trimmings. Our daughter spent considerable time at the dark and white chocolate fountains. All of the staff were welcoming, warm and so much fun. Smiles all around. They couldn't do enough for us.....very very accommodating for sure! Alicia is one of my favorites.....she remembered us from our last visit and we were treated like "family". The coffee was hotter at the buffets and the food has improved from our last visit; the steak house was awesome, as was the Japanese Restaurant. (No problem making reservations either). No problem getting chairs on the beach; Snorkeling was amazing. Our son and daughter used the gym daily; we used the spa and I must admit I am glad that they are now charging to use those facilities. The last time we were at the Spa there were so many people (who were not getting massages) utilizing the area to the distraction of the people who were having massages. I have tried to think of at least 1 complaint, but honestly cannot. Our holiday is what we made it....with the help of the wonderful family at the Grand Palladium. Thank you for making this such a special Christmas for our family. We have already booked and will be returning in February for 2 weeks - can hardly wait!

5  Thank IdaW1259

Dear IdaW1259,

On behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for taking time to share with us your comments. We appreciate your confidence at Grand Palladium and please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

See you in February!!