We have just returned from this hotel (Jan 9th 2014)
The hotel is large and has everything which was lovely, we stayed in block 2 which is central for everything although the rooms are tired and dated and the lighting is so bad it is hard to see.
Not only was our holiday spoilt by raining 12 days out of our 14 which can't be helped, it was spoilt by the arrogant and rude Canadian youngsters. They were so loud and took over the hotel. At times it seemed like an 18-30's hotel surely Cancun was more suitable for them.
As previously mentioned on other reviews the food is never hot, even in the restaurants which is a nightmare trying to get booked into, you need to be there early to get booked in, unless you are prepared for a 90 min wait. Check the chicken carefully as on two occasions ours was still red raw.
How we were caught out........
On our 3rd day we had a slip of paper in our door saying go to reception as we had won a prize !
You are asked if you would like to visit the Royal Suites and have a nice breakfast, in exchange for receiving a free gift of either a spa voucher for $300 or a voucher for trips out. We asked is it "Timeshare" ? to which the lady replied "no" just a look around at the posh rooms and a better breakfast.
We were picked up at 8.15 and at 11.o'clock we walked out and made our own way back. The breakfast was nothing special and once again not hot, we had been eating better in the normal buffet areas with a lot more to choice. We had been interviewed by 4 different people and when the 5 person came along and asked why weren't we interested in buying, I let rip and said they had wasted our time and we walked out. Yes I did get my spa voucher in the end and I did enjoy the treatments.
By the way to use the spa area you are now charged $10 a day, but if you mention to your rep that when your holiday was booked it clearly states FREE spa entry, then they will pay the bill, but you will have to clear it with them first.
Tip..... All prices are marked up in dollars even at the airport, so maybe dollars are better to take than their money, you can even pay in English money at the airport.
The airport tax on return can be paid in English money which is £40 each.
We noticed bureau de change offered a rate of 22 yet the hotel was only offering 17.
Cigarettes are cheaper in the duty free shops in the UK and cheaper still on the plane.
Go on the Segways, brilliant fun . works out about £23 for an hour and a half.
Don't bother taking a 240 volt hairdryer as the rooms are 120 volts so your UK hairdryer won't work as good as the ones in the bathroom.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium Colonial are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, with the exception of the Royal Suite facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with 5viajes2012 S.L., Expedia, Odigeo, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Colonial Hotel
- Hotel Grand Palladium Colonial
- Grand Palladium Mexico
- Palladium Colonial Resort
- Grand Palladium Spa
- Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa Riviera Maya, Mexico - Akumal