“Great family holiday.”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 January 2014

It's huge resort with many pools, bars, restaurants and animals:) We stayed in March and it was great weather. our family had an amazing time and unlimited fun the whole week. We already planning the comeback. We rented a car and travelled along the whole Yucatan.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Contributor2104
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Contributor2104,

It's a pleasure to know that you have had a great stay with us.

Thank you for your time and for your comments.

With best regards,

There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

Reviewed 15 January 2014

My wife and I travelled here last year after Christmas and we were very pleased with this resort. It's a very large resort and if you don't like walking, don't go here. There are shuttles but they are not on any type of schedule. The beach was nice for the Riviera, not nearly as nice as Cancun of course, but nice nonetheless. The food was very good, good selection and good flavor. The resort was exceptionally clean and well kept. The only other resort I've been to that compares in size is the Gran Bahia Principe in Riviera Maya. As I said, they are only comparable in size. There is no comparison to the Gran Bahia I've found anywhere.
We had 2 problems with our room and I suppose I am just way too patient and understanding because most people would have probably demanded to be moved. We had a leaking air conditioner and a backed up toilet and a door that wouldn't open. The repairs to the above problems took WAY longer than they should have but, it's Mexico and I wasn't about to let it spoil my vacation. Overall, i would still recommend this resort, it's beautiful and the people are very friendly.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mike H

Dear Mike H,

We appreciate know the opinion of our guest. Thank you for your time and for your comments.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed at the Riviera for 2 weeks starting 18.12.13 and leaving 1.1.14. I had a very good time with my family. We learned a lot and wanted to share what we found out.

OK so 1st off, this is a BIG massive complex that contains 4 different (but outwardly similar) hotels. There is the Grand Palladium Colonial, Kantenah, Riveria and White Sands. There is a 5th called the Royal Yucatan Suites but they are off limits to residents of the other 4 hotels. Each hotel has a similar layout and shuttle buses connect them all together which can disorientate. Everywhere is "inside" the overall complex so you can walk but its a BIG complex...

Thomsons / First Choice advertise this hotel as 5 stars and all-inclusive. The 5 stars is THEIR rating, not the same as an "International" 5 star rating. I've stayed in boutique and proper 4/5 star hotels & this hotel rates 3.5 stars on that other scale. All-inclusive is true but as it was my first time, I ate way too much and the quality of the food was only truly memorable on one occasion (when I went to the Mediterranean restaurant). I say this not to be mean but when you see 5 star all-inclusive, you think everything will be luxury and high standards of service at that level and on that specific basis, this hotel group in this location (Cancun, Playa Riviera) does unfortunately fail to deliver.

Next, the restaurant system. Each of the 4 hotels has its own breakfast & lunch buffet restaurants (you should try every one to find your favourite & stick to it). Each hotel also has 3-4 evening restaurants with various specialities (BBQ, Italian, Mediterranean, Chinese, etc) and these are typically only reservable on the day. Some open early (5:30pm) & others stay open 'til 11pm. Most all will give you a pager if you can't be seated straightaway & when your table is ready.

Be aware that most restaurants don't get "full" so even though tables may be visible, the serving / cooking capacity of most all restaurants is limited so don't be surprised if you have to wait 30/60/90 mins. Buffet style restaurants serve a variety of mostly hot food (by that I mean all hot food sometimes has difficulties staying so) but salads & fruit are always available. Gluten free does exist in one restaurant but even though I contacted them before telling them of my intolerance, no-one told me that only 1 restaurant had a (very limited) GF offering. I found it myself...

2 restaurants (Japanese and Seafood) are special insofar as you have to book no more than 24 hours in advance at guest services which open every day at 8am. If you are trying to book a large group, get there early. I had one woman in front of me but after she got served for her group of 24 people, I could only get a 10pm reservation and I was second in the queue!

Weather-wise, it can get pretty windy beach-side. The pools are massive and some have kiddie areas. Towel-on-the-bed reservations are mostly observed but some people don't play nicely. No touring drink-ordering service but some pools have swim-up bars & if you have to walk to get a drink, most have a walk-up bar within 3-5 minutes walk. If it rains, there is pretty much not much to do so maybe take some games, playing cards & stuff to entertain the kids.

Wi-Fi is available in the rooms for a $55/week charge or $10/day. Signal strength can be patchy and in my room I had problems with the signal. It is available in the lobby of each hotel for free but has a limited no. of connections. There are TV's in each room and the channels are a mix of some American stations (like 5?) and the rest are Mexican / dubbed / subtitled.

Service-wise is where difficulties can begin to develop. I have to say on the plus side, everyone says Hello and if you want something that they can easily give you, they will do it happily. My room was always very clean, had the most elaborate towel swans / elephants / small dolls?? sculptures. I felt very happy to tip $5/day for this. Drinks-wise, some premium brands are used at all bars & there are 2 bars where under 18's aren't allowed and more premium brands are available. Tipping the bar staff is a personal thing - by all means tip per drink but as everything is all-inclusive, this could get expensive if you drink a lot. BTW: Some bar staff understand the drink menu and a lot of standard combinations (Rum & coke, Gin & tonic, etc) but if you throw some other "standard" cocktail drinks at them (strawberry daiquiri for example), they aren't fully trained bar staff so will only make something with Strawberry in it from their menu. My favourite drink is Vodka & Soda with 3 lime wedges and either my Spanish is very bad or they don't hear so well but I only got what I wanted 60% of the time. Tip: Soda by the way (as in Soda Water) can mean any soda e.g. Coke

Dealing with non-standard problems: Difficult to comment on this - let me explain. One of our party left a hat behind one night at one of the bars. We returned next morning to ask if it was handed in. The day staff told us to come back & talk to the night staff. That night we came back again & asked the night staff. They said nothing had been handed in but asked us if we'd tried looking in Lost Property and also told us this was only controlled by the day staff. So we had to come back a 3rd time the next morning to ask if we could take a look in Lost Property. Nothing was in there but it should not have taken 2 days and 3 visits to see if a $5 hat had been handed in. Also, one time ordering drinks at a beach bar, a bartender got very dismissive and insisted we had ordered a round of drinks and that we should take them, even though we hadn't ordered anything yet.

Lastly, if you do speak proper Spanish (however badly), it will be welcomed. I could always say what I wanted but always failed to mostly understand their replies. That meant the Spa lady almost killed me giving me the strongest massage I ever had because I didn't understand her when she said tell me when to stop increasing the pressure!!

Room Tip: Try and be on a top floor as people walking around above your head sound like they are doing it in y...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank jayphi11ips
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear jayphi11ips,

I would like to offer you my apologies for the incidents that you have had during your vacation. I appreciate your complete review. This is help for improve our work and service.

Please, if we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Cordially,

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We arrived at the hotel with 18 others from the same flight from the UK after travelling for 15 hours, and were not made to feel welcome. There were no smiling staff, welcoming drink nor refreshing towel that I was looking forward to. Further, check in was unbelievably slow. The poorly staffed reception thought it was their duty to explain everything about the facilities of the four hotels in the resort to each couple before we had even seen our rooms. This was not appreciated after travelling for 15 hours and feeling extremely tired. A map and location of our room would have sufficed until the next day.
We were a smally party of two couples on the same reservation, and did not think it unreasonable to expect rooms close to, or even adjacent, to each other. In its wisdom, the hotel had placed us in blocks far away from each other. It took us some time to persuade reception to change one of the rooms so that were were all in the same block, though still some distance from each other. Not a good start Grand Palladium Colonial, on a matter with a little forethought by you, would not have arisen.
Our rooms were on the top floor of block 5 and were of a standard we expected. The rooms were comfortable, if a little dated, e.g. no flat screen tv, poor tv signals and old furniture, but the view from the nice balcony over a tree canopy was good. We also had a resident iguana that spent most days at a top of a tree close to the balcony.
As explained in details in other reports, the food in general was well prepared and there was plenty of it at any time of day or night. We visited the a la carte restaurants in preference to the buffet, for the simple reason it was nice having food brought to the table and there was less opportunity for us to gorge.
The grounds were extensive, and were well cared for, almost manicured, as there were clear demarcations between the buildings, pathways, boardwalks, gardens and the areas of mangrove they surround.
The wild animals that share the hotel grounds, seem semi-domesticated as they show no fear towards humans and take any opportunity they can to scrounge from holidaymakers. the main culprits were raccoons, coatimundis and to a lesser extent, agoutis. Iguanas were everywhere, mostly sunning themselves during the day but also happy to accept a piece of fruit if offered.
Birds also scrounged, particularly grackles in the outside buffet restaurants and Yucatan jays on room balconies.
The many stretches of water in the resort were home to an abundance of freshwater fish, mainly cichlids, that could be fed from the many feed stations positioned around the resort. Brown pelicans, cormorants and several species of heron were also present. A trip on the boat from White Sands was quite relaxing and you could view this wild life and more from it.
Although we were in the Colonial hotel, we preferred having breakfast in White Sands as it seemed quieter although the food available was essentially the same.
The beach had beautiful white sand. There were plenty of sunbeds available and we did not have to be down early to reserve them with our towels although plenty of others saw the need. For shade lovers, there was plenty under large reed covered fixed parasols and coconut palms along the right side of the main Colonial pool towards the beach bar.
This area was also identified as the snorkelling area. Snorkelling was a bit iffy though. There were fish and other sea life around but you had to look for them. Occasionally I found shoals of grunt, snapper and surgeonfish hovering over large rocks but generally the shallow sea bed was a mixture of sand and small rocks with little sea life to be seen. Coral was sparse in the area, thus there were few fish around that live in or near coral reefs.
Our holiday was mainly to chill out either on the beach or at one of the pleasant adult pools that were each supplemented with a bar, and we achieved that. We had no further complaints about the staff or facilities to add to those following our poor introduction to the Colonial that would have received the highest rating but for this.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top offer the best views
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Khimothy

Dear Khimothy,

I appreciate your time and your comments. The opinion of our guest is motivation for improve our service every day.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We were a group of 3 couples in our late 20s/early 30s and really enjoy our stay at the Palladium Colonial for 7 days. We’re all fairly relaxed, haven’t been to tons of resorts (so we don’t have much to compare to) and just wanted a nice, clean and fun place for our vacation – the Palladium Colonial delivered!

Overall Resort:

Although the palladium compound is very big with the four different resorts, I didn’t find it too hard or long to walk around. I think I only took the train once to the White Sands lobby, but then realized it was only about an 8 minute walk on the way back. From then on I walked everywhere. Everything on the resort map seems a lot farther away than it actually is.

The grounds were always kept spotless. I loved the lush, jungle feeling of this resort as well. There are lots of animals around – iguanas, birds, raccoons, which I loved. Although I did find it a bit annoying how many guests feed these animals despite the numerous signs telling guests not to (people even took bread into the ocean to feed the seagulls while we were trying to swim!)

There is free wifi available in all of the lobbies. It didn’t always work great but it was good enough to send emails, check facebook, etc. I think you pay if you want to have wifi in your room.

The Colonial seemed to have more going on at night than the other Palladium resorts. We enjoyed a few fun nights without even having to leave the Colonial lobby (casino night, live music, dancing).

Rooms:

No complaints about the rooms. They were very clean and the housekeeping staff did a great job tidying up every day. It had everything we needed – air conditioning, coffee machine, iron, blow dryer. The bathroom and shower were also nice – no problems with warm water or shower pressure.

The mini bar is restocked everyday with water, pop and beer. There is a sign in the room that the hotel charges if you request to have any items in your mini bar restocked before the next day, but we found that if you need more water bottles for any reason, just ask at reception and they’ll just give them to you for free.

We stayed in the Colonial side of the resort so the rooms are a bit dated (I hear the Kantenah rooms are a bit more updated), but all in the all the rooms worked great for us.

Buffet/Restaurants:

The buffet was large with lots of selection for breakfast and lunch, and has different dinner themes every night. No problems with it at all, but I can see getting sick of it if you didn’t check out the restaurants for dinner some nights.

The restaurants were great! We tried out the seafood, Mexican, Japanese, Italian, El Dorado (steak), and ‘Ribs and More’ restaurants. We enjoyed them all but our favourites were definitely the seafood (for the food and the ambience) and the Japanese (for the food quality and the entertainment of watching your meal be prepared in front of you).

You only need to make reservations for the seafood and Japanese restaurants, which you can do at guest services at 8am the day before your meal. Make sure to be there by 8:00am or earlier if you have a particular time in mind since they fill up surprisingly fast. We arrived just before 9am one morning and could only get reservations at the seafood restaurant for 10pm. The next day, we arrived at 8am, waited in line and were still told that we could only get a reservation, this time at the Japanese restaurant, for 10pm again – thankfully, there was a cancellation so we got in at 8:30 instead.

I personally liked that you only need to make reservations for the two so that you can decide the day of what of the other restaurants you want to try out. The time it took to get a table seems to vary greatly depending on the night, but they will give you a flashing beeper if the wait is too long. One night we went to the Italian and were told that the wait was 1 hour and 45 minutes so we went next door to Ribs and More where we were able to get a table in 10 minutes. The next night, we went back to the Italian restaurant fully prepared to put our name in, get a drink in the lobby and wait, and we were seated almost immediately. My best tip is to be prepared to wait and you’ll be pleasantly surprised if you get in quickly.

Beach:

The beach was beautiful! We spent a lot of time there when the weather was cooperating and had no problem getting chairs as long as we went down right after breakfast.

Pools:

We didn’t spend a lot of time at the main pool since we prefer the beach, but it was large and seemed very nice. I’ve seen a few complaints on here about the music playing at the pool, but I never found it to be too loud. In fact, I personally enjoy have music playing while lounging in the sun.

The Adults only pool is very quiet during the day, almost a little too quiet to be honest. A lot of reading and napping, not much swimming - but I’m sure that a lot of couples would enjoy this.

Staff:

I want to start by saying that all the bar, restaurant, cleaning and entertainment staff were excellent. I can’t sing their praises enough, they truly went above and beyond to make our vacation special and make sure that we were always enjoying ourselves.

Unfortunately, my biggest complaint about this resort is the staff at guest services (ironic, I know) and the reception desk (at night). Although it didn’t really affect our overall experience, I often felt that I was inconveniencing the staff at guest services anytime I made a reservation or asked a question. For instance, we ran out of bandaids after my husband cut his toe playing beach volleyball. We were concerned with keeping it dry and clean so we asked guest services if they had bandaids since the convenience store on the resort didn’t sell any. The first day, they gave us two and said that was all they could give us. When we returned the next day, they told us that they didn’t have any more and when we asked if there was anywhere else we could get some, the guest service representative shrugged and said she didn’t know. She certainly wasn’t eager to help.

Although the check-in and check-out were fairly cold and unwelcoming, our major problem with the reception happened on our last night. Our flight had been delayed so our tour representative arranged a new pick-up time for 4:20am the next morning. The tour rep called the hotel later that evening and asked them to give us a message that our new pick up time would be later in the morning since our flight had been further delayed. Well the hotel never called us or left a note in our rooms so we woke up at 3:30 am, checked out of the hotel, and waited for our shuttle. When it was getting close to 5am and no shuttle was showing up, I asked the woman at reception whether the tour company had called with a new pick-up time and she said told us that there was no message. Eventually, we were able to contact our tour company using their emergency number and that is how we found out about the undelivered message. Essentially we got up in the middle of the day, gave up our rooms, so that we could sit around and wait for 6 hours all because the hotel made no effort to pass along the message.

Considering that the reception and guest services are pretty much the only complaints that we had with this resort, I would definitely still recommend the Grand Palladium Colonial to others.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travellers_Checklist

Dear Travellers_Checklist,

I would like to give you thank you for to share with us your feedback. I will take note of your observations and I will analize this with our front desk manager.

Please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Have a nice day!!

Sincerly,

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I am very late in posting my review of the hotel, we visited for the first time in April 2013 for our honeymoon. We chose the Grand Palladium purely on the recommendation of the travel agent and in turn I cannot recommend it highly enough.
we were upgraded upon our arrival at the hotel and check in was no problem at all. The staff in all parts of the hotel were incredibly helpful and friendly. We had a small problem with a blocked drain in our bathroom but after we called reception the maintenance team arrived within 10 minutes and spent over an hour fixing the problem and the bathroom was left spotless.
I would recommend all of the a la carte restaurants but we particularly enjoyed the Rodizio restaurant. The buffet's were different everyday and there was enough food to even satisfy my husbands monster appetite !
Keep an eye out for all of the wildlife surrounding you, birds, lizards, racoons etc. Staff are continuously cleaning / gardening / repairing but alsways take the time to say hello.
The only downside we had was I managed to get an ulcer in a tooth 3 days into the honeymoon. The medical staff were amazing, saw mw within 10 minutes of going to see them and they had my prescription brought directly to the hotel for me - they definitely went the extra mile. Due to this unforatunate incident we are looking forward to returning to the Grand Palladium in April 2014 for a second honeymoon - we can't wait !

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KattLondon

Dear KattLondon,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments.

Please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Have a nice day!!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

My wife and I spent a long four day weekend at the Grand Palladium. We have both been to Mexico before (Cabo), but never on the east side. The flight from Ft.Lauderdale was a breeze. It actually took longer from the airport to the resort, which was about an hour and a half. This trip was all about relaxing on the beach, and eating great Mexican food. Well, we went 1 for 2. The beach was nice, and plenty of chairs and shade underneath palm trees, but the food was like low end cruise ship food. I think there were about 6 restaurants on the property, and we found one that we like. This was a free trip that my company paid for, so I couldn’t really complain. The resort was huge, but no big deal. On our first day, my wife and I, after spending time on the beach, went lobby hopping on one of the free shuttles. We would try a different drink at each lobby, and then take the next shuttle to the next lobby. It was a good way to see the property. As far as the rooms, yes they were also big, and smelt a little musty, but did not spend much time inside. The reason why I would not return was that it was so far from everything. My suggestion would be to check out good restaurants in Cancun, via T.A. I will say that the hotel staff was very accommodating, the grounds were clean, but just not the resort for me.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stratthewaterrat
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear stratthewaterrat,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments. We appreciate know the opinion of our guests.
I am sorry to know that you have left the hotel with these ideas but always we try to help to everyone.
The hotel has 5 Buffet Restaurant, 9 A la Carte Restaurant and 2 Snack Bar. Our chefs are in the restaurantes for help to our guests in every service (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner).

Resident Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
#29 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!