“fantastic holiday”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“fantastic holiday”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

just got back yesterday from grand palladium and it really is superb went with my girlfriend and couple of friends we arrived and were upgraded straight away to a suite room 3006 which was spot on as we were really close to main pool and beach and adult pool there are plenty of bars and restaraunts and food was spot on only fault I had was we booked into ribs and more one night at 9 oclock and were told to come back at half past which we did but were still waiting at half ten but other than that I cannot fault this hotel all the staff were friendly and it is kept really clean went on trip to chechan itza was really good beach was amazing would go again but want to try pacific side first

Room Tip: room 3006 close to everything excellent ac quiet at night
4 Thank grahamstaffs
ColonialKantenah, Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Greetings grahamstaffs,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our accommodations, restaurants and bars.
We regret your experience at the Ribs and More, however your feedback assists us greatly in improving our services.
We look forward to hosting you once more, as such kindly contact us prior to your next visit.
Should we be able to assist you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Accommodations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (999)
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I booked at Kantenah but got put in a junior suite on the colonial side. After fretting about which side to book, once there I realized it really does not matter- it is really 1 resort with 2 wings. The pools, restaurants, beach, activities, etc are all shared.

Our suite was fine- clean, plenty of space, good AC. There was noting fancy about it but it was comfortable. There were plenty of drinks daily in the mini fridge. The one complaint was the pillows- very hard and uncomfortable.

Overall we loved the resort- we spent many days of our vacation just moving around between the pool and the beach. There is plenty of shade at the beach, and room for sand play for the kids. The beach is clean and the water is clear and lovely! The water is sectioned off into areas for swimming, snorkeling, and boating. We saw a few fish when snorkeling; it was worthwhile but not amazing. We took out the small catamarans twice- It was a blast! We would have done it more but it seemed they were often booked or closed due to high winds or under-staffing.

The pool is great- adults and kids in our group of 17 loved it! The swim up bar was a lot of fun. The drinks were ok- mostly too sweet for me. They did not serve kids directly, but they would give me sodas or non-alcoholic versions or frozen drinks for them whenever I asked.

The food at the buffets is ok- there are some really good items but overall its nothing special. I did not like the open-air Grand Azul buffet very much- poor service and less selection for food.

We ate at 3 of the a la carte restuarants- Sumptori, Marre Nostrum, and Adelita. Sumptori was by far the best for taste as well as fun. We all loved the Japanese cooking show! The other 2 were quite nice with good food. Interestingly, although there was always a long wait for a table from 7:00 on, I noticed half the tables in the restaurant always seemed empty. They were very slow to turn tables over, and at Adelita, the wait for our main course was almost 2 hours! They could easily seat and serve many more people in the a la cartes without such a long wait if they just cleaned the tables faster and brought your food out at a reasonable time!

Yes the resort is huge, but we had no problems walking anywhere we wanted to go. We went to the salt water pool one day and also swam at the Riviera/ white Sands pool one day, and I did not feel it was too far.

Overall this was a fantastic resort and we had an amazing stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank sail_into_the_sun
ColonialKantenah, Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Greetings sail_into_the_sun,

Thank you for taking the time to share details of your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our Sumptuori restaurant and variety of pools.
Our management team has noted your comments as your feedback creates awareness so that we can improve our services.
Please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your next arrival.

Kind regards

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Colonial and thought it was just wonderful. Fantastic choice of a la carte restaurants... must admit I preferred the Mexican, Bamboo and Ribs n' More the best.
Easy to walk to lobby,bars, adult pool, restaurants as well as main pool and beach ( 5 - 10 mins). All staff were really friendly - everyone has a smile and a hola!
The bathroom was a bit shabby for a 5 star but always cleaned well and to be honest how much time do you spend in the bathroom anyway?!
Hotel bar staff were efficient and entertainment was good - loved all the live music!
We went on the sea turtle snorkelling trip from the beach which was brilliant - $45 US dollars each and well worth it.
All in all a fantastic holiday which we definitely recommend!

5 Thank Sarah W
ColonialKantenah, Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Greetings Sarah W,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your vacation experience with us.
We are happy you had a great stay and enjoyed our restaurants, friendly service staff and the entertainment.
We look forward to hosting you in in the very near future, as such kindly contact us prior to your next visit.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should we be able to assist you in any way.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I returned from the grand palladium colonial yesterday and I couldn't say better things about this hotel! Firstly the hotel itself, the grounds are beautiful, well looked after. Yes the hotel is quite big and lots of walking is required but within the 2 weeks of my stay I didn't require the assistance of the train through the hotel or the golf carts. The best part of the hotel is the wildlife!! Everywhere you looked there was some kind of animal, I particularly enjoyed seeing the cheeky racoons as we don't have these in the UK!

Me and my boyfriend mainly ate within the buffet restaurants. Now I have to say that the meal I most looked forward to was breakfast! Everything you could ask for!! The other food throughout the day varied but remained quite consistent throughout the week which by the end of my stay did become quite repetitive. Not being a meat eater i did struggle a bit but I did always find something to eat.

The pools and beach are lovely, always found loungers at any time in the day. The beach bar was okay, food was okay but sometimes was a bit cold and the drinks and ice cream machine were sometimes not working.

Me and my boyfriend mostly enjoyed the smaller pool near our room, block 47. Sun all day and always guaranteed loungers. I'd like to thank Diego at this pool bar as he was always lovely and smiling and made our time much better!

The room we had was lovely and modern. The room was cleaned everyday and towels and sheets were changed daily, even when we hung them up to use again!

We went to chichen itza and on the tulum jungle adventure and thoroughly enjoyed both excursions and would recommend these.

Advice!! Take bug spray!! In the two weeks I was bitten about 16 times and I'm not sure they were all mosquito bites! So just mosquito repellant isn't enough!

I'd happily return to this hotel and tell others to visit as well!!

Only negative from our stay would be the rude and arrogant guests! But that isn't the hotels fault!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank laurenatravel
Greetings laurenatravel,

Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us.
We are delighted you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed our accommodations, wildlife and breakfast buffet options.
We look forward to hosting you once more, as such kindly advise us prior to your next visit.

edwardsville, ill
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Just retured from our 7th trip for a 10 day stay at the Grand Palladium June 11-June 21. We used Canada transfers and would definely use them again. We arrived at the resort at 1030AM and our room was not ready until 3PM the only disappointment during our stay.I emailed the resort 1 week before with our room request and received all requests plus an upgrade to a Jr Suite.The rooms are tired looking in the Colonial section but clean and the location is perfect for us.(they are being remodeled this year)
We felt the Service was even better than past expeiences. We were convinced there must have been some classes given on customer service as all staff we came in contact with were friendly.
We eat breakfast at the buffets and dinners at the alacarte's. Punta Emelia is our favorite but you must make a resevation the day before at guest services. It's best to get there by0730as it fills up fast. They have the very best coconut shrimp but you must ask for it as it it not on the menu. Men are allowed to wear shorts as it is outside and very close to the beach.
For us the no reservations and unlimited Alacartes is a perk. We don't have to decide where we want to eat and at what time as soon as we arrive. We just decide the day of. It does get crowded at peak times but they will give you a pager and you can walk around or go to the bar and get a drink
The weather was perfect it rained 10 minutes one day total in 10 days and there was a nice breeze on the fantastic beach. We will probably look at booking June again next year. There were fewer mosquitoes this year but be sure to take spray as we did use it.
The new childrens water park looks perfect for the children. It is set up so well for the parents also. I was very impressed with the layout and it looke like it has always been there.
We have been to the area 15 times and will be returning to the Palladium again next year. It checks all of our boxes, Beach, Food, Service,Cleanliness and continues to be our favorite place. Thanks Palladium for another great trip!

The Colonial Beach Bar was very busy and hats off to Daniel, Jose, Arcangel and Rosa.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are quieter
3 Thank BeachQueen51
Greetings BeachQueen51,

We are delighted that you had another terrific trip and enjoyed our accommodations, the Punta Emilia and our friendly service staff.
We look forward to hosting you for your eighth, ninth and tenth vacations to come, as such kindly contact us prior to your next arrival.

Kind regards

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Service does not exist in this hotel: 1) did not bring us extra beds or mattresses that we asked for. Ended up taking out a mattress on the floor so kids can sleep on lower mattress and we are on the top one 2)Room was not cleaned on time 3)Housekeeping does not pick up the phone, ended up going to the lobby to ask for room cleaning 4)Had to wait in the buffet for over 10 minutes to get water 5) Stuff is not friendly 6)Not enough food at the colonial beach bar 7)No room service 8)Couldn't make reservations for two restaurants for the next day as everything was booked by 10am 9)Not a good variety of seafood 10) Drinks are not offered by the waiters at the beach 11)Horrible horrible coffee(!) even from the espresso machines at the bar which is normally decent
Positives:
Great beach, great grounds and huge hotel. Tennis court, spa, gym are good. Great transporation between lobby. Variety of wildlife. Great kids club hours and staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Tatyana C
ColonialKantenah, Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Greetings Tatyana C,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our beaches, beautiful grounds and luxurious spa facilities.
We however regret that your stay was less than satisfactory with us.
Our management team has noted your comments in order to verify with our restaurant and housekeeping teams your feedback. Please be assured that your comments assist us greatly in improving our services consistently.
We would like to comment that the resort does not offer cocktail waitered service on the beach as well as room service.
It would be a pleasure to host you once again so that we can have the opportunity to demonstrate that this was an isolated case. We do regret that you have left the resort with this impression.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Colonial for six nights in June. There were 29 of us, 7 families total. There were 13 adults, 3 teenagers, and 13 kids under 8 years old. After researching resorts it was between this one and Iberostar. They both have activities for kids of all ages and that was very important to all of us. We chose this one because they allowed 5 people in a room and Iberostar did not.

I was worried about the check in process after reading reviews but it was very easy and took like 20 minutes tops. Someone even came and offered us a drink while our other family members checked in.

My experience with the staff was 99%. I feel bad to even mention but one of the restaurant workers was rude. My theory is: you never know what someone is going through...we are all entitled to a bad day or moment, right??

There were only 2 restaurants that could sit all 29 of us together - the Mediterranean and Mexican, but we would all have to order the same menu item so we ended up not doing that. We did all try the steakhouse but were seated in 30 min increments 5-6 of us per table. We did the same thing at the Italian. I think the key is to get there by 6:30! After that we all gave up eating together and each family did their own thing for dinner.

My favorite restaurant was the Mexican and the Japanese was a close second (great sushi). Remember get there early otherwise there will be a wait! I thought it was cool that they would make a different restaurant "adult only" on certain nights. I loved the variety they had at the buffets for breakfast and lunch. There was something for everyone! Also, guys need to wear long pants, but don't worry if you forget you can borrow some at the front desk for $20 (refundable). My husband ended up keeping his as a souvenir (they had the Grand Palladium logo on them).

Also, I know that tip is included but we tipped at the restaurants because we got great service and they deserved it!

Make sure to bring mosquito repellant!

They have babysitting available in the kids club. The kids club looked pretty fun. Our kids wanted to be with us all day (lucky us); however, they did participate in a few kid activities. The teenagers enjoyed basketball, mechanical bull, volleyball, etc. My 18 year old went to his first disco!

The shows were great. I was surprised to see the girls from the kids club in the show. When do they sleep? Some of the shows were a little risky for my little ones. I hope they forget some of the one liners they learned before school starts.

The beach was beautiful. The pools were very nice. Make sure not to forget your beach toys, water toys, and inter tubes.

We brought 24 oz insulated cups so we wouldn't have to go to the bar so much.

We don't usually like to travel to the same place once but will definitely go to another Grand Palladium based on our experiences.

Not everyone in our family was as impressed as we were. Some complained about damp sheets, bad customer service, etc. I thought it was weird that we went on the exact same vacation and had totally opposite experiences.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank B S
ColonialKantenah, Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Greetings B S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your family vacation experience with us.
We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed our restuarants, pools and friendly service staff.
Our management team has noted your comments in order to improve our services.
We look foward to hosting you at our resorts for more vacations to come, as such kindly contact us prior to your next visit.
Should we be ale to assist you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Accommodations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#50 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!