“Disappointing second stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow
“Disappointing second stay”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was our second time staying at the resort after loving the holiday last year. However we are disappointed this year and will not be returning. As returning customers we asked for a room in the kantenah section. We were told no & were given a room in colonial. The lamp shades were torn & very old TV in room. Not what you would expect from a 4 star hotel.
Food in buffets- some of it cold
Drink service in buffet. Poor! Could sit for a meal without being offered drinks.
Ribs & more - starters had to be sent back as were cold.
Outside buffet- found screw in pasta dish. Took 2 days before anyone offered us anything.
Mini bar in rooms - only topped up with 1/2 beers. Had to ask reception 5/6 times for 4 beers to be put in room.
Power cut 3 times in 1 week. This resulted in key cards not working. Then systems were down so could not get them re-set. We were planning on returning to this resort next year but I think we will be trying somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2014
10 Thank Kittymcq123
ColonialKantenah, Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Hello Kittymcq123,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us.
We regret that your stay was less than satisfactory on this visit.
We extend our apologies regarding the incidences you have highlighted.
Our management team has taken very serious note of your comments in order to make the necessary investigations with our team.
We appreciate your feedback as we rely on your comments to help us in improving our services.
Should we be able to assist you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Accommodations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (999)
  • Polish first
Marlborough
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I didn't give 5 stars, because I wouldn't call it "perfect" mostly based on food quality and drink quality. Now, that being said the rooms were good, and as described, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and a mariachi band sang to me for my birthday and brought out a cake to our table. Not a piece, A CAKE. I was very comfortable walking alone, at any hour, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I booked at their Jamaican resort while still IN Mexico because I was happy with everything.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Royal part are light years away, but you pay for the improvement :) Boat-up outdoor...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura O
Greetings Lauramelon015,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you had a wonderful birthday celebration with us at the resort.
We have noted your comments as they assist us greatly in improving our services.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should we be able to assist you in any way.
We look forward to hosting you again at our sister property in Jamaica.
See you soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I love this hotel and most of the staff. Last year we we (7 of us) went for 2 weeks, liked it so much 10 of us went for 3 weeks on the 4th of July.
If you are going try not to book with Thomson, I have had a dispute with them since April, still not resolved and only just escalated to a senior manager. The Thomson staff are clearly advised to be as nice as pie until you have paid up and then basically lie to you, any way I digress.

The good things, The Rooms 5514, 5112, 4930, 4403, Were lovely, we had Filberto as our maid and he was great and looked after us really well, with new towel designs nearly every day.

Memo, his entertainment staff POP, are fantastic, He and they work really hard. the shows are good and there is always something going on.

The pools and Beach are some of the best we have been to, there was always beds available, and you could find a quiet area if you wanted to get away from the pool games.

The food is acceptable catering to most of us, although the vegetarian selection is very basic and the same nearly every day. The restaurant staff are always cheerful and the areas are always clean. A few more spoons in the evening would be helpful.

We tried many of the A La Carte's and appeared to find a similar problem in all, our group was too big!! to sit together and even when we said 2 tables together we often had to wait over an hour, the booking of these first come first serve basis is complicated and pre booking would be better. The web site states that a group of 10 or more can pre book, but the guest services said this was not the case so either they do not know what is said on the web site or the information has not been updated. The other issue with the A La Carte is the dress code, Women can go in with almost next to no clothes whilst my 14 year old nephew was made to wear a pair of long trousers?? ( I thought this rule was for adult men) and my son in law had to return to his room for a shirt to be given entrance to the BEECH BBQ!!! Whilst women could go in a bikini. This last rule needs to be made clear as one would assume that on the beech there is also a dress code.
The head waiter was also quite unpleasant and I di complain about his attitude.
We had a few power cuts and despite the web site stating that there are back up generators we were in the dark (and the heat) for quite a few hours. It was very dark and there were a few accidents with people falling into pools and down steps, the emergency lighting also appeared to fail. The only other thing we noted was that they need more staff at the swim up and beech bar, as you can wait a long time to get served and preference is definitely shown to men and those who speak Spanish.

Having said all of this I would go back, as would my family, as the greater percentage is good.

There is plenty of entertainment and always something to do, our group ranged from 4 to 56yrs, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Quite a few of us spent time in the beautiful SPA, and although there is now a charge it is certainly worth a visit and we did get a weekly rate, which was more economical, and a lovely way to end the day.

Special thanks to Marybel in the Colonial Bar who always looked after us and remembered all of our drinks despite serving others.
Last year there were no issues, I know that this is a popular place and with a few tweaks it could be as good as it was last time.

Be aware that if you ask for rooms together they will try, and although we were not together in the same Villa we were close, so its worth asking.
Hope you find this helpful.
Linda

Room Tip: We stayed In Colonial 49 and 50 which has good access to the Beach and pools
5 Thank lin045
Greetings lin045,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us.
We are delighted you returned for a third visit and enjoyed the services of those team members whom you have mentioned.
We would like to comment that for groups consisting of 10 or more our Public Relations team can assist with making a dinner reservation, however this is always with a set menu. A pre-selection of the menu is done in advance that will be served at the dinner. This option ensures an efficient service and an excellent dining experience. Another alternative that we may suggest is to visit the restaurants early at the moment of opening where the wait time is usually less. Our restaurant teams in this moment will do their best to accommodate the group as timely as possible, however dining may have to be at separated tables.
Our management team has noted your feedback as it will assist us in improving our services at the resort.
We look forward to hosting you once more, as such kindly inform us prior to your next visit.

Harrisonburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Let me start out by saying this is a wonderful resort in a beautiful location. The whole place seemed to be pretty well maintained and the food was adequate. Our experience however left a lot to be desired. The service at this resort is downright bad. The main culprits were the dining facility staff and the front desk personal. They were rude and not helpful throughout our stay. If you want good service from anyone you better give them a few dollars in advance or they will more or less ignore you. I could probably ignore the poor service if I was able to catch a decent buzz, but all the alcohol is watered down way too much to do so. Let me add that the group I was with is very low maintenance and have never had this much trouble in all our our years of traveling together.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank David P
ColonialKantenah, Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Greetings David P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us.
We regret that your stay was less than satisfactory and that you have departed with this impression.
We would like to comment that we are always at your disposal throughout your stay to assist in making your stay more enjoyable. We regret that we did not have the opportunity to do so in your case.
Our management team has noted your comments very seriously in order to review them with our team.
We appreciate your feedback as this helps us greatly in improving our services.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should we be able to assist you in the future.

Laguna Hills, California
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have never posted a review on Tripadvisor, but then, I’ve never stayed at a place like the Grand Palladium. The resort is amazing with pools by the acre, a beautiful white sand beach, very good food, entertainment and plenty of activities. Even after spending 7 nights including three outside excursions, we didn’t get the chance to do all of the activities the Grand Palladium had to offer.

First, the facilities are beautiful given the talent of the architects that designed them. It’s huge and twice the size of Disneyland. Cut right out of the mangroves—paths were literally lined by the jungle and iguanas, agouties, raccoons, lemurs roamed the resort freely. Our junior suite was lined in marble, was spacious and included a Jacuzzi bathtub and balcony.

The food was also very good with a huge variety—each buffet offered food types for at least four or five completely different meals. We also ate at the steakhouse, Mexican and Japanese restaurants. These restaurants were also classy and the food was nicely presented on the plates. Both the buffet and restaurants had singers/minstrels provide live background music.

The staff was hospitable, polite and ready to serve us. Never did any roll their eyes or suggest a tip like you often see in the US. Our room was kept up nicely and overall, the resort staff was very good.

I didn’t have time to enjoy the spa, but did a quick walk through. I would best describe it as “OMG!”

There were plenty of people but no crowds or lines. I could walk up to any bar, order anything I wanted and it would be served to me a moment later. Nice service.

I live in Orange County, California and would compare this resort to any four star hotel in OC. In my opinion, our stay there was much better than a cruise or a trip to Hawaii (which our family of five has done a few times). In fact, I don’t believe such a resort of this size, quality and cost could ever be built in the US or Hawaii, given the absence of undeveloped space and the cost to build and maintain. We are looking forward to returning, possibly as early as next year, but at a different time. In July, we were quite hot (about 90 degrees with 90% or so humidity). All of us were bitten by mosquitoes, usually after sunset.

With that being said, as much as we loved the resort it wasn’t perfect. Here are some of my gripes:

Most of us encountered stomach issues which I attribute to the food and water. Despite appearances, it’s still Mexico and its visitors may be cursed by Montezuma.
Beds and pillows were hard.
The refrigerator was never cold. Thinking it had failed, I requested maintenance replace it, only to find the new one was equally as worthless in keeping our minibar cold.
We had a couple of power outages. Normally not a big deal, but the outages took place during dinner. I’m surprised that such a facility doesn’t have backup generators.
TVs are old, small and the signals were poor with lots of static.

The check in was most frustrating. I had to wait behind two others for a half hour and our check in took 15-20 minutes. Despite having forwarded all of the information on line at the time our reservation was made, I had to once more hand write all off the information on paper (even though the desk clerk had the same information on a printout). This was a huge waste of time that could have been completed prior to our check in. We were given a small package of papers of little value. I wished instead that we were told that in order for the lights and AC to work in our rooms, we had to insert our room key in a slot on the wall. I also which there were instructions on how to change our thermostat. None of these problems were insurmountable, however trivial they may seem, they are important to us. In addition to the worthless paperwork at the front desk, you have to repeat the process to sign up web access INCLUDING your passport number and validation through your e-mail account. This is a totally unnecessary step—security should not be required for web access. If so, you should only have to provide the information once, when you make the reservation. This information is then validated at the front desk including your web access. I wish that the hotel management would stream line their check procedures and keep in mind that as travelers, we have just provided the airlines and customs officials with all kinds of paperwork and documents and we have little patience in providing more.

Regardless of the above gripes, there are always issues when traveling and none of the above significantly affected our stay.

8 Thank Steve L
ColonialKantenah, Director de Hospedaje at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Greetings Steve L,

Thank you for taking the time to share highlights of your experience with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our facilities and friendly service staff.
Our management team has noted your comments in order to assist us in improving our services.
We would be delighted to host you once more, as such kindly contact us prior to your next arrival.
Should you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

mom2ltlman
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We just returned from a week long stay at the Colonial resort. There were four adults and four kids ranging from 3-15 and we stayed from 7/14-7/20.

Let me start with the positives. I read manly, many reviews before we left and had a pretty good understanding of what to expect.

The grounds- Stunning and always clean. Beautiful vegetation and animals walking around. Lovely stone paths and people constantly trimming bushes and plants. The beach was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen and the water absolutely turquoise and warm. There are separate areas for snorkeling, boating and swimming. PERFECT!

The staff- Aways friendly. The front desk staff was courteous, friendly and knowledgeable. We were greeted with cold towels and cold drinks. Excellent. The staff in the restaurants are always smiling but most do not speak English which made asking questions difficult. We have been to many resorts in Mexico and always had both Spanish and English speaking staff.

The rooms- we were in block 20 and 21. The rooms are so outdated and everything is falling apart. The TV's are from the 80's and don't work. The pillows are rock hard as is the bed which made sleeping very difficult. The first day we were there a cockroach was crawling over our stuff in the bathroom. I immediately called the front desk and asked to relocate. They were full but Anna offered us the chance to move to another room three days later. The floors were never cleaned. Our maid service was fair. We never seemed to have enough towels and often had to call for more. Plenty of toiletries and toilet paper though. The sheets always had sand on them and I don't think they were ever changed. One night, my son dropped a glass and it shattered. We called to have someone just mop the floor to be sure we picked up all the pieces. She she finally arrived, she moped but left shards of glass everywhere. She didn't speak English so we couldn't explain what the problem was. We had to clean it with a towel so my son didn't cut his feet. Very disappointing rooms. I know they are updating them now...too bad we didn't get to experience that.

Food- the morning buffet is fabulous. The buffet for lunch and dinner is fair. We went to 4 A la Carte restaurants: Mexican-shout out to Jose who was AMAZING and made our dinner so much fun!, Japanese, Brazilian and steak house. They keep the temperatures in the common areas so hot that it's difficult to enjoy the meals. The food was good but not many entree options. Self service salad bars accompany most restaurants. The meat in the Brazilian was over cooked and very very dry. I enjoyed the appetizers in the Japanese restaurant the most. We have little kids so we like to eat early. We would usually eat at 5:45 and never waited for a table, not even one time.

The main pool in the colonial has sharp tiles which we all cut our feet on the first day. Many tiles are broken under water and need repair.

I want to mention that the hostess is squirting all the guests with Purell as you enter the buffet. We didn't think of it the first few days but realized why they were spraying everyone. 4 of us got violently ill three days in with fever, chills, cold sweats, diarrhea. One one us lost two days of the vacation because she was so ill. We have been to Mexico many times and never had this problem before. Very, very disappointing. We are still having intentional problems as we speak.

On a positive note, the kids water park was perfect for the little ones under 10. The sand is like powder. The spa was AMAZING! Wait for victor to offer you a deal on the beach...we got massages and facials for $135! The pool at the spa was heaven and I never wanted to leave.
In addition, one night at dinner In The White Sands, my son became ill. He's 7. I needed to get back to the room ASAP. I went to the bellhop and explained why I needed to get back to the colonial ASAP. He IMMEDIATELY pulled a golf cart around and drove up to our door! I wish I had his name because I really would like to thank him again. Another time, a driver In A club car for the owners saw us sitting at the "bus stop" and offered us a ride. So sweet!

Three separate power failures left us in the dark for over 90 minutes. My kids who are are little were scared and hot and left to fend for ourselves. It happened again on two more occasions. Not fun.

Take the golf carts if you have walking issues, or are elderly. They come frequently.

All in all the resort is lovely. Will I return, no.

Room Tip: Colonial 20/21 very close to pool, beach and lobby. Use bug spray at night...it really works.
4 Thank mom2ltlman
ColonialKantenah, Director de Hospedaje at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Greetings mom2ltlman,

Thank you for sharing details of your vacation experience with us.
We regret that your stay with us was not totally satisfactory and that you have left with such a bad impression of our rooms.
We would like to comment that we are always at our disposal throughout your stay to assist you in making your stay enjoyable. We regret that this was not the case for you.
Our management team has noted your comments in order to make the necessary checks with all the departments involved. Your feedback is critical to us so that we can keep on improving our services.

Kind regards,

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We just returned from a family vacation and had a wonderful time. We went for the beach and its close proximity to Akumal Bay, and we were not disappointed. We would possibly return again, but have rarely stayed in the same place more than once, so we will see.
We recommend using the hotel's snorkel or dive team located on the beach for trips into Akumal Bay if you want a quick affordable and easy trip but don't want to spend the entire day on an excursion. We went a few times spontaneously by their boat and would be back on the beach in an hour and a half. We planned on taking a taxi to Akumal originally but this worked better for us and didn't eat up the entire day or half day. It was an easy way to see wild sea turtles and other fish snorkeling.
The beach was great for us. We picked this resort because its beach had a nice mix of smooth sand with patches of rocky areas good for snorkeling right off the beach.
As far as the resort itself, its about the same as any major chain of all-inclusives.
Its maybe a small tick lower on some of the customer service issues compared to other more expensive all-inclusives, but all in all we were very satisfied.

2 Thank fitmaria
ColonialKantenah, Director de Hospedaje at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Greetings Fitmaria,

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you had an excellent stay and enjoyed our services and facilities thoroughly.
See you soon!

Accommodations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!