“Fantastic holiday!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic holiday!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I would like to start by saying that we have stayed in Sandals resorts, Disney resorts, and various 5 star resorts throughout the world and we thought this hotel was brilliant. It was very clean and well maintained. The food was of a good standard and there was so much to choose from. At night you could go to as many restaurants as you wanted and it was a welcome change to have our food served to us. We would definitely recommend the Japanese and Chinese restaurants. All the staff in the resort were very welcoming and the service was great. It is a great hotel for kids, my son loved seeing all of the animals roaming about the resort. We really had a wonderful stay and would definitely return!

7 Thank P R
ColonialKantenah, Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Greetings P R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday review with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our Japanese and Chinese restaurants, friendly service staff as well as our beautiful grounds.
We look forward to hosting you once more, as such kindly contact us prior to your next visit.
See you soon!

Accommodations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,008)
  • Polish first
Youngstown
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband 5yr old son and I traveled to Grand Palladium Colonial July 27-31.
Check In: was a hot mess I mean literally a hot mess! first of all check in is not until 3 and we arrived at 11 am so we waited in the hot lobby for 4 hours until we got our room key. Now this was totally our fault b/c they did offer us a place to shower and change into our bathing suits so we could wait on the beach but we didn't and so we waited. Now while we were waiting we were offered a drink by a very polite young man who had a hotel map and explained the hotel to us...oh we thought this was nice until we realized it was a time share presentation oh boy! they wanted us to sit in a 90 minute presentation the next day and we'd receive a $200 dollar credit to the spa and only have to pay 30 dollars a piece for a massage??? WHAT? who'd wanna waste 90 minutes of a vacation listening to that? well we told him no thanks...but that wasn't the end the next day we received a note under our villa door saying we were to claim our free welcome gift...so I'm thinking it's a tote bag or something...but again we go to the front desk and were approached at a time share again! and guess what there was no gift. It's kinda funny now as we'd be way more savvy in the US but somehow got dumb in Mexico. Just beware of these things.

Hotel: The hotel is beautiful the villa's are kinda cute the mattresses are suitable but are kinda hard and the pillows are kinda small. I loved the shower. Our fridge was stocked with beer and soft drinks everyday and room service kept our room clean. There are mere cat's iguana's and cheecharones (spelling) but to me they look like rabbits mixed with a rat. None of the animals are aggressive I am scared of anything with more legs then me, but even enjoyed the wildlife. I saw ppl feeding the mere cats even though there are signs saying not to do so! So the mere cats began to follow you and were coming into the dining area (outside buffet) letting their kids pet them! Um ppl these are wild animals....and then they'll go right on to eat their lunch without hand sanitizer or washing their hands and later will cry food poisioning. The same ppl also are pullling their bathing suits out of their behinds and will go on to eat lunch without hand sanitizing or hand washing. eww. but they'll all blame the resort for thier stomach issues. Someone commented on the chef sweating in the food and I have to laugh as I want them to try and cook food over that open flame in that heat and humidity and not sweat! the cooks wear chef hats and hairnets and uniforms I can't imagine,

Daycare: Was the best!! I mean if you have children definately come here! the daycare is the jewel of this place the workers are EXCELLENT and is the main reason we'd return. My son made cookies, a t-shirt, played soccer and learned spanish. He begged us to go back there! they fed him lunch and all. I am a school nurse so I know when my child is well taken care of and I can assure you these ppl were top notch. I could write this whole review on how wonderful they were!

Beach: beautiful of course. My husband did get stung by a stingray our last night....the staff immediately attended to him and when we got back to the US our first stop was the ER where they could say NOTHING bad at the treatment of my husband's wound b/c the staff at Palladium had done everything they needed to do. All they did at ER was redress the wound and gave him a tetnus. So thank you to the folks who helped my husband. One thing I didn't expect is topless women on the beach. I think this should not be allowed as there were young children on the beach I watched two american boys 10 and 12 stare at a topless women my son is 5 so he paid no attention but I mean shouldn't there be a seperate section for that? it's not allowed at the pool.

Food: We had the best steak at the El Dorado restaurant. the Buffet was delicious also. I loved the juice bar at breakfast wish they had of had it for lunch and dinner too. The drinks were best at the lobby bar The beach bar drinks left much to be desired.

Staff: Some of the friendliest ppl ever! gracious. Much more so then those in Jamaica where they almost demanded a tip. Never once did someone roll their eyes give a long sigh at any request. but were always willing to help. Many spoke english more did then didn't These are the hardest working ppl I've seen in a long time from the manager to the gardner to the guy who feeds the alligators! God bless them.

There was a power outage the last day we were there as we were checking out...I have a flash light on my phone so we could navigate but I imagine that could get uncomfortable. I'm sure it takes a lot of electricity to run that place..wonder why they don't use solar power with all that sun?
I'd return to the Grand Palladium and also try some of the Palladiums in Punta Cana and Jamaica.

4 Thank Babydear
Greetings Babydear,

Thank you for sharing details of your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our miniclub services, steakhouse and our friendly service staff.
We would like to comment that clothing optional bathing is not permitted on our beaches, however as this is a public area we do try to monitor this activity as best as possible at all times.
We have noted your feedback to share with our teams to help us in improving our services.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should we be able to assist you in the future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Please wash your cups!

My wife and I try to make it down to Mexico at least once per year. We pretty much have stayed at most of the big resorts in this area. We try to go a new resort every year but this year we though we return to an old favorite, Grand Palladium. We were there about 10 years ago and remembered the services to be good. It still is and we had a good time with my sisters and their family this time around too. Our kids love the water park! There are little issues here and there but it happens at very resort, not a big deal.

My biggest issue is they don’t clean their cups. As anyone traveling with kids will tell you, you can use a little me time. So for me, I like getting up early in the morning and head to beach bar to have my cup of coffee alone. While waiting for the coffee, I noticed one of the bartenders brought in a garbage bag full of dirty plastic cups he collected from the beach. He proceeded to empty the sand, wave it through running water tap and put it on the rack to dry. So I thought maybe the rack is going into the dishwasher of some kind. Nope! He took the same cups fill it up with water for another couple that came after me. OMG!

So I thought, maybe it is just that one bartender. Again, OMG!!! Nope, they are all doing it, at very bar.

Love the resort but please clean your cups! And whatever else you’re not cleaning. Thanks!

17 Thank Whitesandonmyfeet
Hello Whitesandonmyfeet,

Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience with us.
We regret that your stay was less than satisfactory and that you have left the resort with this impression.
We would like to comment that the resort has very rigid quality control and sanitation procedures that are practised daily to ensure the health and safety of our guests and team. With continuous supervision of these procedures, we aim to provide the highest quality of service during vacation experience.
We would also like to comment that we are at your disposal throughout your vacation in order to assist you in making your stay more pleasurable.
We respect your point of view and our management team has noted your comments.
Should you have any further comments please do not hesitate to contact us directly as we would be delighted to assist.

Glasgow
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was our second time staying at the resort after loving the holiday last year. However we are disappointed this year and will not be returning. As returning customers we asked for a room in the kantenah section. We were told no & were given a room in colonial. The lamp shades were torn & very old TV in room. Not what you would expect from a 4 star hotel.
Food in buffets- some of it cold
Drink service in buffet. Poor! Could sit for a meal without being offered drinks.
Ribs & more - starters had to be sent back as were cold.
Outside buffet- found screw in pasta dish. Took 2 days before anyone offered us anything.
Mini bar in rooms - only topped up with 1/2 beers. Had to ask reception 5/6 times for 4 beers to be put in room.
Power cut 3 times in 1 week. This resulted in key cards not working. Then systems were down so could not get them re-set. We were planning on returning to this resort next year but I think we will be trying somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2014
10 Thank Kittymcq123
Hello Kittymcq123,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us.
We regret that your stay was less than satisfactory on this visit.
We extend our apologies regarding the incidences you have highlighted.
Our management team has taken very serious note of your comments in order to make the necessary investigations with our team.
We appreciate your feedback as we rely on your comments to help us in improving our services.
Should we be able to assist you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Marlborough
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I didn't give 5 stars, because I wouldn't call it "perfect" mostly based on food quality and drink quality. Now, that being said the rooms were good, and as described, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and a mariachi band sang to me for my birthday and brought out a cake to our table. Not a piece, A CAKE. I was very comfortable walking alone, at any hour, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I booked at their Jamaican resort while still IN Mexico because I was happy with everything.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Royal part are light years away, but you pay for the improvement :) Boat-up outdoor...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura O
Greetings Lauramelon015,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you had a wonderful birthday celebration with us at the resort.
We have noted your comments as they assist us greatly in improving our services.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should we be able to assist you in any way.
We look forward to hosting you again at our sister property in Jamaica.
See you soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I love this hotel and most of the staff. Last year we we (7 of us) went for 2 weeks, liked it so much 10 of us went for 3 weeks on the 4th of July.
If you are going try not to book with Thomson, I have had a dispute with them since April, still not resolved and only just escalated to a senior manager. The Thomson staff are clearly advised to be as nice as pie until you have paid up and then basically lie to you, any way I digress.

The good things, The Rooms 5514, 5112, 4930, 4403, Were lovely, we had Filberto as our maid and he was great and looked after us really well, with new towel designs nearly every day.

Memo, his entertainment staff POP, are fantastic, He and they work really hard. the shows are good and there is always something going on.

The pools and Beach are some of the best we have been to, there was always beds available, and you could find a quiet area if you wanted to get away from the pool games.

The food is acceptable catering to most of us, although the vegetarian selection is very basic and the same nearly every day. The restaurant staff are always cheerful and the areas are always clean. A few more spoons in the evening would be helpful.

We tried many of the A La Carte's and appeared to find a similar problem in all, our group was too big!! to sit together and even when we said 2 tables together we often had to wait over an hour, the booking of these first come first serve basis is complicated and pre booking would be better. The web site states that a group of 10 or more can pre book, but the guest services said this was not the case so either they do not know what is said on the web site or the information has not been updated. The other issue with the A La Carte is the dress code, Women can go in with almost next to no clothes whilst my 14 year old nephew was made to wear a pair of long trousers?? ( I thought this rule was for adult men) and my son in law had to return to his room for a shirt to be given entrance to the BEECH BBQ!!! Whilst women could go in a bikini. This last rule needs to be made clear as one would assume that on the beech there is also a dress code.
The head waiter was also quite unpleasant and I di complain about his attitude.
We had a few power cuts and despite the web site stating that there are back up generators we were in the dark (and the heat) for quite a few hours. It was very dark and there were a few accidents with people falling into pools and down steps, the emergency lighting also appeared to fail. The only other thing we noted was that they need more staff at the swim up and beech bar, as you can wait a long time to get served and preference is definitely shown to men and those who speak Spanish.

Having said all of this I would go back, as would my family, as the greater percentage is good.

There is plenty of entertainment and always something to do, our group ranged from 4 to 56yrs, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Quite a few of us spent time in the beautiful SPA, and although there is now a charge it is certainly worth a visit and we did get a weekly rate, which was more economical, and a lovely way to end the day.

Special thanks to Marybel in the Colonial Bar who always looked after us and remembered all of our drinks despite serving others.
Last year there were no issues, I know that this is a popular place and with a few tweaks it could be as good as it was last time.

Be aware that if you ask for rooms together they will try, and although we were not together in the same Villa we were close, so its worth asking.
Hope you find this helpful.
Linda

Room Tip: We stayed In Colonial 49 and 50 which has good access to the Beach and pools
5 Thank lin045
Greetings lin045,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us.
We are delighted you returned for a third visit and enjoyed the services of those team members whom you have mentioned.
We would like to comment that for groups consisting of 10 or more our Public Relations team can assist with making a dinner reservation, however this is always with a set menu. A pre-selection of the menu is done in advance that will be served at the dinner. This option ensures an efficient service and an excellent dining experience. Another alternative that we may suggest is to visit the restaurants early at the moment of opening where the wait time is usually less. Our restaurant teams in this moment will do their best to accommodate the group as timely as possible, however dining may have to be at separated tables.
Our management team has noted your feedback as it will assist us in improving our services at the resort.
We look forward to hosting you once more, as such kindly inform us prior to your next visit.

Harrisonburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Let me start out by saying this is a wonderful resort in a beautiful location. The whole place seemed to be pretty well maintained and the food was adequate. Our experience however left a lot to be desired. The service at this resort is downright bad. The main culprits were the dining facility staff and the front desk personal. They were rude and not helpful throughout our stay. If you want good service from anyone you better give them a few dollars in advance or they will more or less ignore you. I could probably ignore the poor service if I was able to catch a decent buzz, but all the alcohol is watered down way too much to do so. Let me add that the group I was with is very low maintenance and have never had this much trouble in all our our years of traveling together.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank David P
ColonialKantenah, Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Greetings David P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us.
We regret that your stay was less than satisfactory and that you have departed with this impression.
We would like to comment that we are always at your disposal throughout your stay to assist in making your stay more enjoyable. We regret that we did not have the opportunity to do so in your case.
Our management team has noted your comments very seriously in order to review them with our team.
We appreciate your feedback as this helps us greatly in improving our services.

Accommodations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!