“Loved the Grand Palladium - Aug. 17th - 24, 2006” 5 of 5 bubbles

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
NJ
“Loved the Grand Palladium - Aug. 17th - 24, 2006”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2006

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Colonial from August 17-24th. We had a ball. There were three of us; me, my husband and our 21 year old son. We flew from Newark NJ via USA3000 Airlines. It was your typical boring 3 hour flight. We went to the GP in Punta Cana last year, so we were really looking forward to this. I even found a website called Palladium Addicts where most of the members have already been here; the information they provided was priceless.

When we arrived in Cancun we got our luggage, went through Immigration & Customs with nary an incident. When you get to Customs they have you press a button; if you get a red light they check your luggage, a green light you pass through. Although we got a green light as we were walking past security noticed we had backpacks and decided to check them. At that point they confiscated my husband's unopened pouch of beef jerky, claiming that you cannot bring beef into Mexico because of mad cow. Although I've never heard of mad cow being passed on from beef jerky, we took his word for it. Or, maybe he was just hungry, who knows.

We quickly found the Apple bus, only to wait on the almost full bus for 1/2 hour waiting for six people who never arrived. Then we were on our way - only to stop at six resorts on the way to ours. The bus ride took 2 1/2 hours. With the 1/2 hour wait at the airport, the bus ride took longer than the plane ride from New Jersey.

Surprisingly, we were the only ones checking into the resort that day, yet our room was not yet ready. So, we went to the buffet near the pool for some lunch, and by the time we were done our room was ready. We were in Villa 9, room 1917, which was up on the 3rd floor. The bellman said, "We'll take the Mexican elevator". Which turned out to be the stairs (there is no elevator). That three story walk up was a chore on some of the more humid days, but the view of the ocean from our Jr. Suite was well worth the walk.

Our villa was located closer to the White Sands pool, and this was the pool we frequented, not just for the proximity but because at only 4 feet deep it was much more comfortable for a non-swimmer like me than the Colonial pool which has a depth of 5 foot three inches (which is my height). The White Sands pool was also less crowded and there were almost no kids around. It was great, and we even enjoyed it more than the beach; although that was gorgeous. We saw many fish, rays, and other sea life. Spectacular is the only word to describe it.

The resort is gorgeous. The gleaming marble floors, the koi ponds and fountains everywhere, just made it a superior experience. We loved the walkways, both the covered ones and the rustic wooden ones. When I say rustic, I mean it; the boards are spaced well apart and at various heights, so you have to walk carefully. But it forces you to take your time and enjoy the jungle around you. We saw tons of iguanas, exotic birds, salamanders, even a creature that has a tail like a monkey but isn't; they call it a "honey cat", but it's not a cat either. Not sure what it was, but it was in the rafters outside of Portofino one night before it disappeared up onto the thatched roof.

The staff was wonderful, and spoke better English than many people I know in NJ. Everyone went out of their way to make it a wonderful experience. When something went wrong, it was quickly corrected. One day the air conditioning in our room wasn't working. Within 10 minutes maintenance was there changing the thermostat, and 10 minutes after he left the front desk was calling to verify that the repairs had been made and that we were happy. How can we complain about that kind of service?

As far as the food was concerned, frankly I enjoyed the buffets. I like a variety of food, and there was something for everyone. We ate at Portofino, Rodizio, and Sumptori for our ala cartes. We enjoyed all of them. But, my son studies Japanese and spent three weeks in Japan this summer, and pointed out that the wallpaper is upside down in Sumptori.

In all, we will DEFINITELY go back to Grand Palladium in the future, although we'll make sure we have non-stop transportation from the airport.

If you have any questions, please email me at bythehex@aol.com and I'll be glad to answer them. Be sure to write "GP Mexico" in your subject line.

• Liked — Cleanliness and outstanding, friendly service
  • Disliked — Too little night life for non-drinkers
  • Tips/Secrets — Get non-stop transportation from the airport. By cab it's only 40 minutes from the airport
24 Thank bythehex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (954)
  • Polish first
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2006

We stayed at the palladium aug. 7-13 for our honeymoon. We were very nervous about traveling to Mexico because we had never left the country. Upon arriving in Cancun at the airport we were able to get thru customs no problem, one piece of advice bring a pen or pencil to fill out immagration card on plane. Once thru customs you head outside to find your transfer van to resort. Many people offer to carry your bags, but we just said no thanks and found our way to the van. Look for the flowered shirts for apple vacations reps. Van ride was about an hour ride to resort but not a bad ride.
Honestly first impressions of the resort were not great, but we were nervous so that would quickly change. Upon checking in we were told that we were not going to get our room upgrade. I was disappointed but nothing we could do. We were driven to our first room and once we were dropped off we began checking out the room. There were somethings we did not like. So to make a long story short we went back to the lobby to see about getting our room switched. After some discussion with the front desk we were switched and thats when i grabbed a drink at the lobby bar and started enjoying myself. Our problem was that we were not used to the humidity and the dampness of the room we get humidity in michigan but not that dampness in the room it was sort of like our basement at home in the summer. But you get use to it and we just left one of our room keys in the slot by the door and the air conditioning ran all the time.

Food- I thought the food was very good the buffets had a decent selection. Try the beach bbq it counts as an a-la carte but it is a good experience and the ribs were great. We missed our second a-la care because we were in playa del carmen but we didnt really mind. Also if it is your honeymoon make sure you make it to the special honeymoon dinner it is well worth it.

Beach- The beach was awesome bring your own snorkling gear. Lots of topless women on the beach which was different, but after a while no big deal. Very nice beach we had no problem finding a relaxing spot to hang out. Water was perfect there are also many activities if you want to keep busy.

Pools- We didnt spend a lot of time at the pools. The beach is so awsome that we would rather be there. One day we spent a little time at the adult pool because i was hung over but the rest of the time we were at the beach.

Staff- Staff was excellant very accomadating very friendly and helpful. I have never seen people work harder in my entire life. And they always have a smile on their face. I would observe them while we were eating and the seemed to just be having a good time very different then what we get for service in the U.S. Also the shows that tey put on in the lobby area at night were very good.

We did go to chichen-itza which was a good trip. Very hot but well worth the fee. We went to an authentic mexican restaurant after the tour and that was a lot of fun good food

Overall it was a great trip. I dont understand how anyone could give this resort a negative review. Vacations are not perfect but just be easy going and enjoy. I would highley reccommend this resort to everyone. By the way the walking is not bad it is a big resort but thats what makes it great. We stayed in villa 5 on the colonial side and it was a great location very close to everything. Dont let the negative reviews on here discourage you the resort is great and you will love it.

• Liked — the layout natural surroundings
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — just relax and enjoy
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
16 Thank hugemichiganfan
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2006

Summary: Spent 7 nights at the Palladium on the Colonial side from 8/11 to 8/18. This resort is absolutely huge and clean. The make-up of the guests appears to be mostly from Spain with drizzles of Americans, and other assorted nationalities. The lobby and resort layout is impressive with lots of Mayan décor, marble,and flora. The grounds are well manicured and maintained. The flamingos and the assorted wildlife in the resort provide a nice exotic atmosphere.

Accomodations: Colonial Villa 32 – Mayan Suite
Outside shower is a genial touch. Bathroom was impressive, spacious and clean. King size bed was very comfortable with good pillows. The room had a partial oceanview, and each afternoon we found different animal creations on the bed made from towels (rabbit, elephant, swan, and kissing swans). As requested of the maid, Raul, extra towels were provided every day. Although we had booked a Jr. suite, this free upgrade to the Mayan suite was a most pleasant surprise. The in-room fridge was stocked every other day with water, soda, and Dos XX and Presidente beers.

Beach: Beautiful all around. Seaweed turned into a minor annoyance at times, but was not a show stopper as they picked up every morning. No problems finding a palapa or chairs at any time. Lots of topless women (mostly Europeans) and I don’t know if I would take my children there given that.

Pools: Huge and Huge. Never had a problem finding a chair or a shady spot around the pool and never noticed the complaint by others that there is litter around the pool. In fact, they had a couple of litter control people picking thing up all the time. I suggest the when going, you bring a disposable raft for lounging in the pool. The raft can be inflated at the Ranchero children’s area where they have an air pump. The adult pool is another story. We went there one afternoon and even though there was only 4 people there, every chair had a towel on it forcing us to turn back and go to the main pool.

Spa: Took a guided tour of this fantastic area and as awed by both the beauty and size of this facility. Although we did not book any services, we used the free facilities such as the steam room, sauna, whirlpool etc. truly a must see area.

Bars: Disappointed by the fact that Absolut vodka (my favorite) wan not available. Other than that, no complaints. The 52 Oz Bubba Kegs were the smartest thing that we took with us. As sand gravity grabbed us, the kegs saved us several trips to the bars, thus allowing us more time to enjoy the beach.

Buffets: Impressive spread for both breakfast and lunch. There was always something to eat, although it looked repetitive at times. The grilled fish was excellent and was complemented by a good salad bar and assortment of fruits. In my opinion, this is where the stars of the resort are. The people cooking and serving are the hardest workers I have ever seen. Fetching drinks, busing tables, providing silverware and custom cooking for the guests non-stop makes for a long day. I made sure that these people got their just reward in terms of tips and more.

A-la-Carte Restaurants: With some effort, politeness, and a $5 bill, the managers would accommodate you even without a reservation. This may be because of the occupancy the week we were there was low. I will rate on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being superior).

El Dorado Steakhouse - Great surf and Turf and fantastic filet mignon done to perfection, complimented by a good salad bar. (8)
Sumptuori Japanese – Good Sushi as well as Japanese soup and good entrees at the regular sit-down area. The show-table proved to be a test of patience as the air conditioning was not working and made the dining experience unpleasant. (7).
Mare Nostrum Mediterrenean – Where do I begin with this place? The strolling musicians we very talented and worked the room nicely. The food is another story. We are not particularly picky when it comes to food and love fish, but the seafood carpaccio served to us not only smelled fishy, but tasted even more fishier. One bite and we pushed it aside. The pasta and shrimp entrees came to us late and very cold despite the fact that the restaurant was almost empty of diners, a real head scratcher in terms of quality control. This was the only place I did not tip. (2).

Service: Not one single complaint in this category. From the people at the reception desks to the waiters at the buffet, the service was top notch. We took about 125 USD single bills and distributed them evenly across the resort. Please do not forget the waiters and the behind the counter people at the buffets, they work harder than bartenders.

Excursions: Did not do any as the beach took a hold of us. Took the colletivo ($2 USD/Person each way) into Playa Del Carmen. The incessant solicitations from timeshares to entering the store became annoying very quickly. Please do haggle with the vendors and offer at least 50% less than their asking price. I also found that taking the offered amount from the wallet and showing it produced some surprising results.

In Closing: This AI is a fantastic value for the money and we will definitely go back next year and perhaps drag along a few friends. As reported by others, I did not notice any of the Europeans being rude. The only rudeness that I witnessed came from higher-than-thou attitude American guests.

• Stayed August 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
30 Thank Gaglitm
NM
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2006

A beautiful resort with little to offer. This was the first vacation which I have lost weight on, needless to say the food was the worst ever. 8 out of 10 people in our group had GI trouble and only ate food and beverages on the property.

The service is terrible and the staff understand very little english if ANY at all. You have to ask for every little thing you need in the restaurants/buffet, no anticipation of staff. The sit down restaurants were almost worse than the buffets. I have never had such terrible food on a vacation.

And phone calls to the U.S? They make it so difficult to understand how the process works and take advantage of all who are captured in their resort by making it very expensive.

The room was very nice/clean, the resort grounds were beautiful, free non-motorized water sports were included, the beach was clean, and the bar drinks were GREAT.

To sum it all up, if you don't have to eat, don't enjoy food, or are on a diet this is the resort for you! However, is you live to enjoy wonderful food and service on you travels, this is the wrong vacaton spot.

Stayed February 2006
15 Thank denisedenise
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2006

Just returned from a beautiful vacation at the Grand Palladium Colonial resort. Relied on others' reviews so thought I would add my $0.02.

The Grand Palladium Colonial far exceeded my expectations.

Before leaving, I was a little apprehensive about going to Mexico, I did quite a bit of research (US Department of state website is very informative!) and made sure I got all required shots and boosters before going. I was concerned about the water, getting sunburnt/sick, not knowing enough Spanish etc. etc.

I have never been on vacation when upon my arrival I felt completely and totally relaxed and at ease.

I didn’t want to leave!

ATMOSPHERE/ FIRST IMPRESSION/ DECORATION:

Lobby is beautifully decorated. The hotel has successfully created the feeling of space while achieving an intimate atmosphere as well. Seats were clean and comfortable. Gardens were well maintained. Marble floors gleamed - every morning they were thoroughly cleaned by staff. I was excited and impressed.

Some hurricane damage is still evident, but a considerable amount of effort has been made to restore much of the natural vegetation and gardens.

There is walking – this was welcomed with all the food we consumed. It is true the reviewer that said “eat all you want, you won’t gain an ounce” – I actually lost weight. I never felt over-burdened by the walks, the grounds are nice to see and there are lots of covered walkways to conduct you around the resort. You can pretty much get anywhere with 5-10 minutes of walking.

ROOMS:

Our room was immaculate (we stayed in a standard room), our maid was wonderful. Everyday we got a little towel animal that was so cute! Our bar was stocked more than the three times a week - we always had plenty of beer, water and soda. It was nice to sit on the terrace at night for a drink. Beds were quite firm, but comfortable - if too firm, you can ask for an extra coverlet to go on underneath. Shower was nice and hot. Room was always cold when we entered it - did not have to fuss with cards or worry about a/c turning off when we left. Plenty of room - room safe was excellent to have - we kept our passports, wallets and cameras in there the entire time - not one problem there.

WATER:

You can get your mini bar bottles filled at the bar. I was worried at first, but the reverse-osmosis system the hotel uses is TOTALLY safe. I was drinking about 4-5L of water a day (which I highly recommend - I felt great the whole trip!). I had ice in all my drinks. Likewise, the water from the jugs at dinner is safe, I thought it tasted just like the water from the tap in any big North American city. I don't know what else I can say - you do not need to worry about water when you are at this hotel.

FOOD:

Here's the only place I would say needs improvement. The food was pretty uneven.

Breakfast was good, lots of variety - fruit, yogurt, eggs, bacon, toast, pastries, juice. Mimosas and fried cheese were fun favourites. Try the breakfast tacos.

Lunch we ate in the open air restaurant by the pool often (El-Gran Azul). It was very good. Huge salad bar, burgers and hot dogs, prime rib and other hot meats, guacamole (the BEST), stuffed jalapenos, ice cream machine and other goodies.

Dinner buffet offered variety and was changed up quite a bit the week we were there. Mexican dishes were delicious. Some things were excellent; some things were ok (uneven). Most food was of average quality, but I did not go to Mexico to eat!

I never had a problem finding enough good things to eat.

The à la carte restaurants were very good. Mare Nostrum (Mediterranean) was my favourite, Sumptuori (Japanese) and The Mexican one was very good. Wait staff in the à la cartes were even better, and all three offered an incredibly enjoyable and satisfying experience.

STAFF:

Never have I seen a staff work so hard. Every morning when we arrived in the lobby there was a flurry of activity as several staff cleaned, prepared the gardens, scrubbed the walkways, skimmed the pool etc. Yeah, some of them (mainly maids and gardeners) do not speak English the greatest. However they make a huge effort to understand you. Do not be ignorant. A friendly “Hola” “Gracias” and “Por Favor” goes a long way. Learn them. Use them. All the staff were very friendly and their hard work was demonstrated in a beautifully clean and well kept resort. Bring a good stock of US $1 bills for tips.

Bartenders were fabulous – knew every drink we asked for. Were not stingy with the alcohol. We did not have to wait for drinks except at the Beach (Kantenah) and Swim-up bar. Margaritas were made from scratch and are the best I’ve ever had. Mojitos are made with real mint and crushed limes – excellent! Try the Banana Mama. Beer was of decent quality – not watery - refreshing and delicious.

AMENITIES:

Tons of stuff to do. Go snorkelling on the reef (it’s free). Mini golf was fun and challenging. Always sports going on at the sports centre, spa looked beautiful (will take advantage next time!), activity coordinators were lively and full of brilliant ideas.

OTHER GUESTS:

Every second day, we noticed the beach was a little quieter than normal. We later found that many people who went crazy (too much booze, not enough sunscreen and water) one day, and got super sick the next. By all means, take advantage of the free (and delicious) drinks, but don’t forget the water and the sunscreen, you will enjoy your vacation all the more for it. Lots of lobster people walking around – sunscreen is about 2.5 times as expensive as home, buy lots before you go (we went through a whole tube).

Everyone we met was super friendly (especially the southern Americans!). Lots of Canadians, Americans and Spanish.

Remember, you can make your vacation great. We saw maybe two or three groups that complained about EVERYTHING – I think some people are just born to complain. I don’t know how they could not have found anything nice to say about this beautiful and wonderful place. Listening to their constant gripes when we encountered them were a source of amusement. Everyone else seemed to be having a fab time.

BEACH:

Beautiful, sandy, lots of activities. Bring water shoes if you plan to explore the reef. Tons of lounges and shady places, never had a problem finding a place to sit. There is a tow, but if you are a good swimmer, you’ll have no trouble. Watch for red flag days – the waves and the tow will be quite strong.

TOURS:

Go to Playa del Carmen – great shopping, fun fun place. Easy to take the collectivo there.

Go to Chichen-Itza – bring lots of water – it is an incredible thing to see, and a great way to see the real Mexican landscape. Learning a bit of history never hurt anyone either.

Xcaret! Has a Mexican spectacular show in the evening that is definitely worth seeing and a beautiful underground river to snorkel in.

Xel-Ha and Tulum looked interesting, as well as any tour with a stop at a “cenote” very worth seeing!!

I highly recommend the Grand Palladium Colonial & Kantenah resorts - would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2006
34 Thank Artemis613
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2006

My family and I went to The grand Palladium Colonial Side aug 4 -11 from Toronto Canada. I had read some of the negative reviews before i had left, and i was terrified, thankfully they were all completely wrong! The place first of all is amazing, it's such a beautiful and CLEAN resort. The staff is continuously cleaning and taking care of the place. The food was great, everyday there was a new theme and there was something for everyone. There is no way someone wouldnt like the food, unless they're very very picky eaters, and even then there's a chef which will personalize any meal for you. The pools and the beach were very nice, not a single complaint other than the fact that there were a great amount of topless tourists, mostly european, but other than that the beach was great. My only complaint would be the smell at times from the sewage system, but even that wasn't a big problem. The whole staff is extremely nice, service is perfect, and the nightly entertainment is truly entertaining. My family and i Will definitly go back to the Palladium, and i would give this Resort a 5/5!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Distance from Airport
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't eat at the Mexican A La Carte, not worth it, and the Meditteranian is Excellent
27 Thank Trip_Tip11
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2006

Since we relied so much on the reviews of this resort before booking I wanted to add my thoughts for others to read. We stayed at the Colonial July 29th thru August 5th - my husband and I and two girls aged 11 and 14. After reading all the other reviews I was concerned about all the walking but aside from the first day when I got lost and walked for over an hour - the day to day walking was no big deal. We stayed in building 9 which was not far from the lobby, pool, or beach. A train came by every 10 minutes so getting around was pretty effortless.
The food was not as mediocre as I thought it would be based on a lot of the reviews here. We did the breakfast buffet every morning which was really, really good with lots to choose from. Lunch we either skipped, or went to the restaurant by the pool and got a hamburger or taco. The dinner buffets started out very good but by the end of the week it was getting hard to find something we wanted or liked even though there were always tons of choices. I think we were just getting tired of eating by then. The night they did Mexican food was the best night of all for the buffet - they should stick with that. I loved the chicken and green enchiladas.
We did three of the ala-carte restaurants. The Italian was great. The Brazilian restaurant was pretty good too. We did not like the Japanese restaurant at all. The sushi was very good but their Chicken Teriyaki bore no resemblance to any teriyaki I’d ever tasted before.
Aside from two trips we spent most of the week lounging around the pool and the beach. The pool is very comfortable although alarmingly deep. I had to stand on my tip-toes to keep my face above water – I found that rather strange. The beach is absolutely beautiful. We took bread into the water with us and fish came and ate out of our hands. Luckily they weren’t BIG fish.
We took a tour to Chichen Itza and another day went horseback riding. The horseback riding was super fun - we actually got to take the horses into the water (not just a wade through the surf!). Chichen Itza was disappointing. We'd been there 20 years ago and were really looking forward to seeing it again. We had a very long-winded guide and after almost an hour of standing around two sites and listening to him drone on about their calendars and mathematics we left the tour and went exploring on our own. We later found that most of the rest of the tour did the same thing after we did. Unfortunately by then we only had about an hour left so we rushed from one site to another to make sure we saw all we wanted. Definitely take a hat - it was extremely hot that day and not much shade. We then stopped for lunch which was very mediocre. After lunch we could swim in a Cenote (freshwater limestone sinkhole) if we wanted. That was one of the highlights of our trip. Super cool water so clean you could see all the fish. It was almost like swimming in a cave with a wide opening at the top - really, really beautiful.
All of the resort staff were extremely helpful and ready to help. We had no problems at all. We took an earlier reviewer's tip of bringing about $100 in ones for tips. The staff really works very hard and they deserve it. Our room was completely cleaned every day and we always had enough towels and wash cloths. The floors are marble and a bit slick when wet. We had no problems finding a lounge chair by the pool or by the beach and only didn’t get a towel one day when there was a sudden rainstorm.
Unfortunately the resort did not offer enough to keep my two daughters occupied. I think they might have wanted to do some of the craft-type activities but they were too old to join that group. They offered a lot of games and such but that didn't interest my kids at all. I really wish they would have had more to offer for the pre-teen, early teen ages - it would have saved me from listening to all that complaining! Also I wish they would have offered more TV stations in English which I expected as they had satellite TV. I didn’t much care but my kids didn’t like it.
All in all I had a wonderful time - enough so that I would have liked to stay a few more days. There are so many places other places we want to travel too so I don’t know if we’ll will go back but if you are thinking about choosing this resort – I would definitely recommend it. Hope you enjoy your vacation!

• Liked — The relaxing atmosphere
  • Disliked — Serve more Mexican food
21 Thank Vassey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,972 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!