“A wonderful experience!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pennsylvania
“A wonderful experience!”
Reviewed 8 February 2007

A party of 16 from Pennsylvania traveled to Riviera Maya the week of Feb. 1st and we had a great time. Because of our group size, each of us could always find at least one other person to go on an excursion with; however, a few never left the resort property. This resort is massive in size and is run extremely well considering the size, people from different cultures and different tastes & budgets. One can play & eat at all four resorts and with so many restaurants, bars & pools to pick from, one could never get bored. The buffets are very good. We tried two of the a la carte dinners(advanced reservations needed for a sit-down dinner) at the Mexican Restaurant and the Japanese Restaurant. Both are very good; however the Japanese one was outstanding! We had a group of 8 at a table where they put on a show while cooking your individual meals. The food was excellent as was the chef & help. If I had known how good it was, we would have dined here twice! We found the staff at the resort to be friendly enough, extremely hard working & attentitive and spoke English fairly well. The grounds are immaculate and it was interesting to see wildlife roaming the resort such as iguanas, monkeys, warthog(havelina?) and other types of critters that we weren't exactly sure what they were. Got some good pictures though! The beach and water were exceptional - just had to watch where you entered the sea as certain areas are heavy with coral. Snorkeling was great because of the coral reefs with many fish and very clear, warm water. Water was almost bath water warm which is the way I like it! Rooms were nice & kept clean and each had a private balcony. The in-room bar was stocked every two days and the maids would surprise you by creating different sculputres out of the bathroom towels & wash cloths almost daily. Our only problem this week was an excursion booked thru the Apple rep on sight. He had promised a full refund on our catamaran trip if it rained - no problem; however, it did rain and we had a heck of a time getting our money back! To everyone, be aware of ALL cancellation policies before booking any excursions!!! Even if it rains, they usually expect you to carry on with whatever you have planned and will not refund your money! I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others. :)

Stayed February 2007
20 Thank warmweatherfriend

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (981)
  • Polish first
Muskegon, Mi
Reviewed 6 February 2007

Four of us arrived on January 18th for a two week stay. We had all been the previous year, so we had a pretty good idea what to expect. Our flight from Detroit was uneventful, and AGI transfer picked us promptly. We arrived at the hotel around 11:15 and were in our rooms by 11:45. Last year we stayed in the Riveara section last year in junior suites, but decided to "downgrade" to regular rooms in the Colonial to be more centrally located. We were in building 6, and it was perfect. The housekeepers did a very thorough job each day, and most days we had towel art.

Because of the size of the property there are so many locations to relax each day. Our favorite was the adult pool in the colonial section, but also spent some time at the beach and other pools.

We ran into a few of our friends from the staff last year, but many have left for other properties or opportunities. While we missed them, we made several new friends and despite the occasional language barrier, we enjoyed some good laughs together. Some have not found the staff at the Palladium friendly, and I am at a loss. Simple manners and a smile work wonders. We try to respect the employees as our hosts and hostesses, and hope they want us to return next year.

We found the food to be a little better this year. After two weeks there is no doubt that breakfast can become a little repetetive, but the dinners at the buffets seemed better for some reason. We especially enjoyed the Mexican, Asian, and Brazillian themed nights. The Fisherman's night was not our favorite, but we do not especially care for seafood, so we ate pasta and salad instead. Lunches/midday snacks were good when we chose to eat. We had four ala cartes to use, and we chose Mexican, Steak House, Brazillian, and the Japanese show table. Sorry, but after two visits, I still can't remember the names. Anyway we found the Mexican very good, the Steak House and the Japanese excellent, but did not care for the Brazillian too much. We had eaten there the year before and remember the quality of meat to be much, much better. For instance beef tenderloin has been replaced by beef brisket. Still it was ok, but we were really looking forward to a repeat of last year's treat.

We hit just about every bar at some point, but especially liked hanging out at the secret bar after dinner each evening. After that it was on to the lobby bars and the disco on some nights. Service at all the bars was very good.

The grounds looked much better this year without any hurricanes this past summer. The staff is always working hard to make everything look great. I've read a couple of comments about trash around the resort, but think where that comes from, the guests! It was alarming to see the glasses, cups, cigarette butts, paper, etc. scattered about each morning from guests who were too lazy to pick up after themselves. The staff usually had the previous nights "deposits" picked up quickly in the am, but their job would be easier if everyone was just a little more considerate.

We went for a lot of relaxation so we did not venture off site very much. We did spend a day at the Akumal Beach Resort, an evening in Puerto Aventuras, and a full day at Xel-ha (go early!!), and had a fine time at each of them. Part of our group went shopping in Playa del Carmen, but I was too relaxed to go that day.

The weather was a little cloudier than last year, but very little rain. To me it doesn't matter, it snowed almost every day in Michigan while we were gone, so I can take a few clouds and 82.

All in all we had a great time, and plan to return next year to see old friends and make new ones. If you are not into a mega resort, the Palladium is not for you. However, if you like walking, exploring, and lots of activity, this is a good choice. While no hotel is perfect, the Palladium suits us quite well. We've found that if you expect perfection, you'll be very disappointed, so we learn to gloss over the small glitches and concentrate on having a good time, and we always do. Whether it's here or anywhere else, the best piece of adivce I would offer is simple...treat the staff and other guests as you would want to be treated, and you'll have a great vacation.

• Liked — I love the size and multitude of options this resort offers
  • Disliked — No real complaints
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
24 Thank jcharlesa
Edmonton, AB.
Reviewed 5 February 2007

Negatives: contracted salmonella poisoning! We were sick over half of the week!

Other Negatives:
Poor customer service - sort of an "I don't care" attitude if you required anything extra
Telephone in the room didn't work for 4 days.
Poor buffet by the beach.
Easy to get lost, not the greatest nightly entertainment.
Phones didn't accept any other calling cards - only the ones sold there
Big line ups at the internet cafe and pretty expensive

Posititves: Good beach, good spa
some a la cartes were pretty good (but hard to get into)
Good pools, good drinks (couldn't find top shelf liquor)
Nice landscaping, paths, good exploring, very pretty resort, good bus ride to and from the airport (friendly!)

• Liked — Balcony on room was nice
  • Disliked — A pretty far walk to get to where you want to go easily, and trains only come every 15 mins
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank NicoleEdmonton
New York, New York
Reviewed 5 February 2007

Had i written this review midway through my stay, I would probably have given it 3 stars. The beach was nice, our room was decent, we enjoyed the Spa and watersports, however, the food was just not good.

The resort itself is an amusement park-like atmosphere so it makes sense that the quality of the food would be so low. We tried to go with open minds but the buffet meals were reminiscent of a high school cafeteria and the food tasted about as good. We did have average meals at the Italian and Brazilian restaurants but considering I cannot trace back from where I got this infection-- I'm not recommending them either.

This resort obviously works for some people as I saw plenty of sunbathers enjoying more than one trip to the buffet. BUT if you are someone who likes an intimate resort with fine dining and personal service than this isn't the resort for you.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank BRIZNewYork
New Jersey
Reviewed 4 February 2007

Hello
We are finally home from our trip this past week at the Palladium in Riveria Maya. I say finally because our travel day home yesterday was pure hell! More on that later. We traveled with my husband and my infant daughter. We also had my sister in law and her family, a one yr old and 5 yr old. Before I start I jsut want to say I have been to the area 4 other times so I know what to expect as far as food and the rooms and what not.
To begin we arrived at the airport, what a zoo. We had booked AGI with car seats and couldnt find them. Eventually they found us and said they were there all along, who knows. However they had no car seats and wanted us to wait. This was the main reason for booking AGI. We looked and Apple had a van so they took us for free. AGI apologized via email when I got home.
So we arrive about an hour later and at this point it is 3pm Guess what my room isnt ready. The front desk really didnt care that i had a tired baby who has been traveling and just kept telling us to check back in 20 mins. This happened about three times. I was already off to a bad start. By 3pm it should have been ready.
Our room was Colonial bottom floor building nine. Not bad average and what I had expected. It was called a Jr Suite but there was nothing suite like about it.
My overall opinion was very average. I had a great time but felt that I would never go back becasue i know there are better resorts out there. I know many of you love this place but we just didnt.
The positives...
The resort is pretty nice. The pools nice, the beach beautiful, the walkways really nice to walk and explore. The benefit to these bigger resorts is there is always somehting to go and check out and see. You just cant get bored lots of exploring to do. Next good thing was the spa, very classy. The pools and free services were fun and relaxing. Me and my sister and law had a facial which was fantastic. Also the kids club seemed incredible the staff was always up beat and did lots of things witht he kids. One he last night they did a show what a great job. I thought the daytime pool entertainment staff was pretty good too!
Sadly I have some compliants. The first the food. I thought it was terrible. Like i said i have been to this area and didnt expect first class but this was awful. Let me add this we did dine at some ala cartes the food there was much better. To me the buffets were not very good not even breakfast. Since we were there six nights we got two ala cartes. We went to book and guess what none were available till Sat night, we were going home then. They didnt really care. We did get into two after waiting in line the second day. (that is right line)., but all the good ones were always booked. Like the Steak house. Weird thing was the tables were alwasy empty at these places. (we were not looking for peak times either we wanted early with the babies). Another weird thing if you had a twenty or so there magically was a table for you at this booked resturant!!!! El Dorado was good, Brazil was also good but the Portifino awful. Nobody ate their dishes we all left hungry.
My next complaint is huge, the service. UHH i couldnt believe how rude SOME of this staff was. The staff at the ala cartes were very pleasant and accomcaditing. At the buffets forget it I think they could care less about you. We waited at every buffet for someone to come over and at least get us water, or coffee in the am NOTHING!!!!!!! This was unreal I figured it to be slow I am used to that but come on. We would often get up and get our own then they woudl yell at us. On our last day we did have a good waiter, he got a nice tip and one time at the buffet for lunch.
However another time this waiter just hated us, And i assure you we love mexico and are always super nice and tipping to the staff. He never got us a drink and came over and tried to take away our glasses for another table I said no I would like some water please. He basically rolled his eyes. I was stunned I have never been treated like this. The bar tenders seem overworked and cranky and usually the servers made me feel like i was bothering them. High chairs they have too I would ask and only once did I actually get one at a buffet.
All in All it was okay at the resort. I dont want to make it sound like all of the staff was poor either there were some pleasant people. I would never go back or suggest this place. I would spend a little more and go back to a palace resort or some where else in the area. Some things too to mention at a lot of these resorts there is usually staff coming around asking you if you want things not here you ahd to go up to the one or two bars and wait. For awhile!!
Our Apple transfer back was another nightmare a 3 hour bus ride, so for all considering the Private go for it!!! Then we got to the airport with a little over an hour to catch our plane. The lines were soo long we were never going to make our flight. Oops once again you pay someone off you can get right to the front!!! (we spent 100.00's tipping to get things we should of never had to spend)
Once we did we were delayed and in the end it was a 12 hour day of travel tough with the little ones.
Like I said I feel horrible complining I love Mexico and went into this with a very positive attitude but I was just not blown away. I didnt hate it completely but there is room for huge improvement in the dining and service department.
Just wanted everyone to know about our exp. I know everyone has there own opinion and expereince there. To all who are going enjoy! But those who are considering maybe spend a couple hundred more for a different spot. It really wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt for allt he poor buffets...
Thanks for reading.
Shannon

• Liked — Pool/Ocean
  • Disliked — Buffets and service.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
9 Thank Shannon T
Ottawa
Reviewed 3 February 2007

WOW...my boyfriend and I stayed at the Grand Palladium White Sand Resort and it was amazing...Our trip was to initially go to Cancun but with hurricane season we had to change hotels because of some damage to our hotel in Cancun...thats how we ended up at the Grand Palladium..I thank the hurricane for ruining my first choice hotel in cancun because my stay at the grand palladium was incredible...We got to our room and thought they had maybe made a mistake because our room was much more than what we expected...junior suites are beautiful and the rooms are very clean! The resort is very big...lots to see!! We got lost a few times during the first days but we finally got the hang of it and we really enjoyed walking around the resort! The food was amazing...buffets were just as good as the specialty restaurants! There are alot of pools which is nice...we really enjoyed going to the adult pools where it was a little more quiet!

Our only dissapointement about our trip is the fact that we had to come back home...If you are not sure about where to go...pick the grand palladium...it will blow your mind!

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2007
17 Thank KAY33
Laval, QC
Reviewed 1 February 2007

Traveling with a child, some tips and tricks…My family and I just spent a week at the Palladium. I travel over there with a kids of 12 months, my husband and my parents (babysitters) I do believe this is a good resort to visit with a baby. Lot of family where there with young kids and babies.
I RECCOMMEND THIS PLACE!!

Tips and Tricks

Room:

The hotel provided a crib. A regular one, nothing fancy but a solid one. Because they can’t bring the crib upstairs they give us a room on 1 floor. Usually we prefer to be at a higher level to avoid insects in the room, but don’t worry the door has a sealer at the bottom and the balcony is closed. Also all balcony as a view on the jungle, so even if you are at the second floor the view would be almost the same. Balcony floor was marble and clean, our kid play there without any problems. Our room was a regular one, there was not bathtub but a very large shower with a hand shower, so it was easy to clean our kid. Anyways he spent the rest of the day playing in the pools, so he does not really need to play into the bathtub.

Size of the hotel:

The hotel his huge and there is a lot of walking to do. With the stroller we where fine, but if you have very young kids they may get tired of all this walking. Our location “Colonial” is the most central one. There are nice walking trails. Most of the paths are fine if you have a stroller, just 1 area has stairs, once you know where you can always find another path that does not have stairs. You just have to remember to bring everything before you leave the room because you may have couple minutes of walking to get back. There is a train that goes around the hotel, just it pass every 15 minutes. It can be long to wait.. But the size of the hotel can be fun because you can actually take walks around with stroller and enjoy a new part of the hotel every time.
Kids Mini Club: Kids club is available for kids more then 4 years old. But you can go on the site with a youngest kid as long as you stay there with him. So we went there and they had big kids houses and others games outside, really beautiful!

Beach and pools:

The beach was beautiful at the left end of the hotel. You can go into the water and there are no rocks. Near the center of the hotel there was a stripe of rocks large about 1 ft to pass before being into the sand. On the right side of the hotel it’s more to do snorkel because there are rocks and fish. On the left side of the hotel where the beach is really beautiful there was lot of palm trees, so not problem to get shade for our baby. Also chairs were always available. They had 2 kids pool and 1 area of the main pool that is build in slope (like the ocean) so kids can play there.

Food:

We follow the directives of our doctor regarding what kind of food are the more safe for a baby, and ours did not get sick at all. We also didn’t get sick. There was enough selection of food to always be able to feed our kids and ourselves.

Highchairs:

We always been able to get one in the buffets. Just some of them don’t have a tray. We did not bring our son at ‘’A la carte restaurant’’ but they also had highchairs there.

It’s more logistic to go in vacation with a baby but this hotel did not complicate anything and lot of peoples where there with their baby and enjoy their week, so definitely I would recommend this hotel for family with baby, just don’t forget your stroller!

• Liked — Nature all around
  • Disliked — 1 week is too short!
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
15 Thank QCSplish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,113 reviews
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!