“Still A Great Place”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 March 2007

We had stayed here 3 years ago and had a great time, but were worried about coming back to the area after what surely must have been devastating hurricane damage in 2005. However, the place still looks good, and the beach is as fabulous as I remembered. The areas with the sand are by the Kanatah and Colonial areas-- the White Sands area has a rockier coastline. You could walk out to your neck into the ocean on sand-- no rocks, as long as you were in the right area. Just fabulous! The pools were nice-- the larger pool tended to be busier on windy days (which kept people away from the beach) but the smaller pools were never very busy. We had 8 in our group, and could always be seated or were able to hang out together. Rooms were nice-- even on the Kanatah and Colonial sides which were older. The bars weren't too busy, the drinks were good. There wasn't a selection of fancy beer...pretty much just plain beer in a plastic cup. Be smart-- bring your own insulated mug for drinks. If I had any complaints, it would be that the food was okay, not great. Don't expect a 4-star restaurant. I actually liked the buffets better than the restaurants they made you get "reservations" for. The meat at the restaurants was pretty greasy. But overall, it was really nice. The new spa was very nicely done and was a peaceful place to hang out-- it now has lots of cool pools, hot tubs, and more. The Palladiums are not too close to any other resorts/towns, and had a nice safe isolated feeling-- we sat on the beach at night and were not concerned. I'd recommend this place highly-- nice rooms, pools, beach. Not the most luxurious hotel in the world, but if you're looking for a good place in a medium price range, this is a good bet. The long, white, sandy beach sells it! Why else are you going down there-- its all about the beach!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
14  Thank IowaSdz

Reviewed 9 March 2007

Let me start by saying that if you are looking for room with an ocean view, go else where. Also this was my first time at an all inclusive, and was told by many that "You will never have to worry about eating", again you may have to at this resort. They have one 24 hour Bar, that may or may not have food. And if you do not like Dos XX beer, well then you are out of luck, along with preimum alcohol (only one lounge that opens at 6:00pm). Also the front desk staff not very friendly

Now with the above said, the bar staff was great, the pool also great, and the room (althoguh not an ocean view) was quite nice. Maid staff did a great job on cleaning of the room and also getting it made up when you were out. The Al la Cart restraunt were also pretty good, if you can get a reservation time that is not 5:30 pm or 10:30pm. Buffett food was also quite good.

So all in all, the pool was wonderful (there are several at the resort, they seem to have some activity going all the time), and the bar staff was very friendly, food good.

5  Thank RustyAnn
Reviewed 9 March 2007

just a fast review

it was just amazing we did not have one problem. When we got
to the resort they offered us drinks right away to cool down. Our
room was great. the food was really good and the drinks were
incredible. The a la carte were good go to the ribs and more.
and make sure to go at the spa its all free exept for the massages. so overall its was better than punta cana and cuba
....ive been at both.

and the people who complaine well their to fussy so they should stay home.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13  Thank matt1212Moncton
Reviewed 7 March 2007

My wife, son (6 yrs old), daughter (2yrs) and I just returned from 2 weeks here and we had a great time. As this was our first time to Mexico, I would not hesitate to return.

First of all, if you have young children/toddlers, a stroller is a must. We enjoy walking everywhere and found that our 2 yr old always ended up on my shoulders so after a quick trip to Walmart in Playa Del Carmen, we purchased a $30.00 stroller.

Although all the problems that Mexico had with Canadians, just prior to our trip, we actually no problems and felt safe. We even ventured into Playa Del Carmen using the local bus (15 seater van) for $2.00 each and did some shopping. A must if you go.

As for the resort, it was recommended by my brother who stayed there a few months before us and gave us the "do's and don'ts".

We stayed at the Colonial and had access to the 3 other resorts. We could not go to the 5th one, Royal Suites, as it was for adults only.

The Colonial and Kantenah are together and seemed to be the place where everyone went as the beach area was there as well as the water activities. Even though there were lots of people there, we never felt "over crowded". We use to head down to the pool area around 0800hrs and save a couple of lounge chairs by the kids pool. We would then head for breakfast then come back to swim and play. There are also 2 adult only pools that were pretty quiet as well as a salt water pool fed by the Sea. We spent sometime there and was quiet too.

Food was awesome with theme nights every night. I believe there were 8 Ala Carte and at least another 6-8 Buffet style places. Lunch time you had the choice of beach side grille buffett, outdoor buffett and an indoor buffett. We had the choice of 4 Ala Cartes as we were there for 2 weeks but only used 2. Ribs and More is a great place with really good food.

There were 2 trams that took you all over the resort and took about 20 mins to complete the circle. The kids had a lot of fun riding on it. There were also golf carts for certain areas that whipped around throughout the resort.

The Spa was great as well and the gym had a lot of good equipment although busy at 07:30hrs in the morning. You could use the pool, hot tubs etc in the Spa but anything above that Re: massages etc were extra.

The people there were very friendly and had no problems with anything while we were there. Check in was fast and check out was quick.

We did not get to see any of the shows as they were later in the night and the kids were drained from playing all day but heard that they were the usual resort type shows.

Kids club was good and had lots to do for the kids. Note that any child under 4 had to have an adult with them at all times! We read that on the website but some did not and actually gave the workers a hard time about it.

So I would recommend this resort to famillies and couples with no hesitation.

Stayed: February 2007
10  Thank Fire1575
Reviewed 6 March 2007

We just returned from a wonderful week at the Grand Palladium Colonial. This resort is fabulous. Cannot not think of one thing negative to say about it. The grounds were immaculate. The bathrooms down at the beach - even had marble floors and couter tops. Lots of pool side lounges, so you never had to go down before 8:00am to save any. We were at one of the Bahai Principes last year, the Colonial is ten times the resort. The walkways to the rooms are beautiful. Lots of friendly inguanas running around. AND the spa is amazing - you feel like the rich and famous when you are there. This resort was like being in paradise. I would recommend anyone to go there.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank CarrieOntario
Reviewed 6 March 2007

We just came back yesterday from this hotel in the Riviera Maya.
I generally agree on the reviews posted here.
First I am going to talk about the few negative things of this hotel:
1. It is TOO BIG! this is not such a bad thing because (as us) you can stay and live in one area of the hotel.
2. THE FOOD! Since we are from Mexico living in the U.S we were expecting to eat Mexican food! and that almost didn't happen at all. Since Spanish people own the hotel, the variety and taste of the food is very Mediterranean (not my style). The buffet breakfast is great so that was our main meal.
That's about all the cons that we found.
Now the positive things:
1. BEAUTIFUL HOTEL! The areas are kept very clean and well maintained. It is really a beautiful hotel!
2. NICE ROOMS. We were upgraded from a standard room to a junior suit witch was bigger and had a jacuzzi on the bathroom. It was really really nice and very new.
3. THE POOLS! They are huge and beautiful! You can't ask for more.
4. THE KIDS CLUB. Since we were traveling with our 2 year old toddler this was a plus! They had lots of games for kids, activities and toys to play with in the pool or sea.
5. THE GREATEST THING OF ALL......... THE BEACH! it was great, really the most beautiful beach and sea I've seen. It is huge, the sand very soft and clean at all times, and the sea... wow! blue, beautiful!
Overall we were very happy with our experience in this hotel. I would consider coming back only because of the food, but I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
9  Thank cucauribe
Reviewed 4 March 2007

I was just reading reviews here on Tripadvisor and I realized that I never reviewed my last vacation spot, so I'll go ahead and do that now. This was my first trip to Mexico with my girlfriend (also her first time here). We booked this trip through another website. The tour organizer was Transat. They had staff at the resort which really made organizing excursions a lot easier. The resort’s location was so convenient that we only ended up going on two organized excursions.

The hotel itself is really beautiful. Our shuttle from the airport dropped off other travelers at other resorts and the Grand Palladium is definitely up there in terms of style, architecture and décor.

The beach was decent, but I’ve definitely seen better for swimming in the Caribbean. Being so close to Cozumel, I expected more right-off-the-beach snorkeling but was disappointed in that aspect (read on for the great positives about snorkeling here). The ocean floor is rocky other than the area that has been cleared and roped off for the resort. Once you’re in that area, the water is nice and the sand is soft, although there are more waves than in other regions of the Caribbean I’ve been to. There are a lot of water sports offered at extra cost on the beach. They seem to be very popular which is great if you’re participating, but less great if you just wanted to lie there and listed to the ocean.

The pool is INCREDIBLE. It’s as big as a small lake and has a swim-up bar and built-in lounge chairs. The night life was pretty much non-existent at theresort, but there are tours to Cancun available (read-on for more). There are vendors that set up in the main courtyard at night which makes you feel like you’ve experienced Mexican bartering, but they’re really just re-selling things they’ve bought in Playa Del Carmen at triple the price.

Playa Del Carmen is a short “collectivo” (local public bus) ride away and is well worth visiting for half a day. The seaside Mayan ruins of Tulum are also a short collectivo ride away and also definitely worth visiting. We chose to see Tulum instead of Chitchen-Itza, which is much farther and will take up an entire day to visit. The tour director also informed us that you can’t climb up the pyramid at Chitchen-Itza anymore, so we didn’t feel it was worth it. Besides, Tulum is breathtaking.

The first organized excursion we went on was a snorkeling tour. They brought us to a brackish lagoon (LOTS of fish), to a cavern cenote (underground rivers exclusive in the world to the Yucatan peninsula) and to an open cenote. They also made us fajitas on the beach where the Corona commercials are shot. I highly recommend taking this tour if you can. Ask for Roy as your tour guide.

The food at the resort was OK. Definitely not authentic Mexican and really nothing spectacular compared to what I’ve heard about other Mexican resorts. We had 3 nights at a la carte restaurants where the food is better than the main buffet. The hotel staff was friendly and most understand English. One particular maitre 'd was extremely rude and almost ruined our trip, but since he was the only one, I’ll consider him the exception that proves the rule and move on. The room was nice; we had a junior suite. The bathrooms are marble, which is a must for me, so I was happy with that.

The timing for our trip was risky in terms of weather, as late summer can be at risk for hurricanes. We had a daily rain shower that kicked us off the beach, but they were all very short-lived.

Our final excursion of the trip was on our last day. We took a Party-Hopper tour of Cancun (about 2hrs away). It was 79$US per person and worth every last peso considering that it included all club cover charges and bottomless drinks (we got completely hammered). The staff on this tour was outstanding and we got to cut hour-long lines and get VIP treatment at the best clubs in Cancun. The Coco Bongo was insane and beautiful, up there with some of the top nightclubs in the world, complete with acrobats and live music.

All in all, I’d definitely recommend this resort to anyone. This was my first trip to Mexico, so I can’t really compare it to others. If you’re looking for authentic Mexican food and nightlife or the best beach swimming, this might not be the place for you. If you’re looking for a beautiful, clean and relaxing resort that’s close to all the best spots on the Riviera Maya, definitely consider the Grand Palladium.

Check out my photos!