“Paradise The Second Time Around”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
canada
“Paradise The Second Time Around”
Reviewed 20 March 2007

My husband and I just returned from a great week-long stay at the Palladium Colonial. This was our second stay at this resort, and it was very enjoyable, just as expected. We travelled with USA 3000 on a 7 AM flight out of Detroit. Our flight was slightly delayed due to a busy morning @ Cancun airport. We arrived an hour late, and were quickly processed by Mexican customs. They were swamped, however very efficient. Getting our luggage was a bit of a wait, as many flights were arriving simultaneously. Cancun airport is chaos at this time of year, and can definitely be better organized considering the number of people they have passing through. After about an hour wait for our luggage, we went to our bus (transport arranged through Apple Vacations as part of our package). There were many time share reps outside as we were heading for the bus, just avoid engaging in conversation and go directly to the bus. We found our Apple rep who directed us to our bus, and were quickly boarded. The trip to the resort took a couple of hours as we had four stops, as well as being caught in a traffic jam in Playa del Carmen. We arrived to the resort and were checked in quickly. Our room was ready, so we hit the restaurant as we hadn't eaten in almost 7 hours. After a great lunch at the Grand Azul outdoor buffet, we headed for the beach. By this time it was mid-afternoon. We spent some time enjoying the sunshine and warm sea, then went to sign up for our a la carte dinners. My husband went to the "Apple Orientation Session" which we were told on the bus was manditory in order to arrange our return transportation. This turned out to be a HUGE waste of time, essentially set up to try to sell off resort trips. It is NOT manditory to attend this "Orientation" since reception takes care of all return transport and flight confirmation. My husband left halfway through the presentation. I reserved our 3 dinners (Brazilian, Steak House and Mediterranean). I wanted to book the Beach BBQ, but was told to return Monday or Tuesday for booking this Wednesday night event which we enjoyed last year. When I went to reserve on Tuesday I was told that it was fully booked (2 sittings of 200 each, fully booked very quickly). Last year we had enjoyed the Japanese show table dinner, the Steak House, and the Mediterranean (Mare Nostrum). This year, we enjoyed our experience at the Brazilian (lots of meat, including beef, pork, rabbit, lamb). Excellent service and lovely atmosphere. The Steak House was a bit of a disappointment this year, perhaps due to the table we were given (in a corner) and the quality of steaks, which was not as good as last year. The service (with the exception of the host who was very pleasant and professional) was not up to par. The highlight of this dinner was the Mariachi trio who entertained us with a few songs. Our third dinner which we booked for our last night was at the Mediterranean restaurant. The meal was fantastic. I enjoyed a wonderful tuna steak. The Lebanese Platter appetizer was not very good, I would try something else next time. Last year we were seated outside, however we had an inside table this time around, which was equally nice. The service was excellent, and again, we were treated to an enjoyable performance from the Mariachis. As far as other meals are concerned, we enjoyed our breakfasts at the buffet. Loved the omelettes, the fresh juices (very nice young man serving the juices, took pride in showing me the lovely sculptures he had made for the buffet), and the empanadas (again, made and served by a lovely lady who enjoyed what she was doing and always tried to recommend a new filling). Can't go hungry at breakfast, a HUGE variety for every taste. After breakfast we would go for a workout at the gym. We spent a lot of time at the spa, one of the highlights of our trips there. The gym is VERY warm, they could definitely use a couple of fans and more air conditioning. They are attentive to every other detail, temperature should be a priority. My husband used the "spin" bikes, however there was no instructor. On a side note, I regret not going to the daily yoga classes having seen one in progress on our last day there (yoga by candlelight). We enjoyed the hydrotherapy pool only once this year, as the water seemed to have a film, as did the water in the jacuzzis. Last year the spa seemed cleaner. We swam in the infinity pool and enjoyed a couple of spa treatments. We had a couples massage in the outdoor massage hut (highly recommend it, Antonio is AMAZING!!!) We also had a reflexology session, again Antonio and Oskar (can't believe how great I still feel after this). Afternoons were generally spent at the beach. This year we went more on the Kantenah side as it was less crowded, more hammocks, and a bit more private. We took a walk off the resort toward the El Dorado (North side of the beach). Once you leave the Palladium beach, there is a lot of debris, so it may be wise to wear water shoes. Back to the Palladium beach, tons of chairs, shade or sun. The water was warm, and not very wavy. We snorkeled and saw lots of exotic fish. We signed out a kayak and enjoyed some time "out at sea". We fed the fish (a must-do) and enjoyed every moment on this perfect beach. One note of caution, the bottom is rocky in places, we always wore water shoes to prevent injury. We walked to the White Sands/Riviera side and saw the salt water pool (lots of fish in it). This side of the beach is very rocky with no access to the sea. The beach on the Colonial/Kantennah side is, in my opinion, best for lounging, swimming, snorkelling. I would book on this side rather than the RIviera/White Sands side since I spend a lot of time at the beach. We enjoyed a few lunches at the Colonial beach bar, and indulged in awesome drinks and "Guac Burgers" (our own creation of patties, guacamole, pico de gallo, jalapenos and cheese). Tons of jalapeno poppers, chips and guac, fries, just great bar food at the buffet. You can also order off their menu. The serrvice here was not the best, with the exception of a couple of the bar tenders and Teresa, the waitress with the pretty blue eyes. In the evenings we went to a couple of the shows, but were not very impressed. The best show was put on by the Fun Team rather than the "professional ballet troupe". I wouldn't recommend the shows at the main stage. There's a live band every night at the Grand Azul. We tried the disco one night and were disappointed (same experience last year). It was after 11 when the "adult disco" should have started, however the place was full of teens screaming to "Hillary Duff hits" and their parents trying to pry them off the dance floor. For a resort of this calibre I would expect the evening entertainment to be much superior. That was one of the disappointing aspects of our experience. I would definitely improve the music in the disco, enforce the "9-11" teen disco, and polish up the entertainment with less lip-synching and more "professional quality" performances. The only truly entertaining performances were by the Mariachis and the Fun Team. Another disappointment (not one to complain, but must mention this) was the service by some of the bar staff. There were some very good servers, who seemed to enjoy their job, enjoyed interacting with the clients, and there were some very bored, uninterested servers who pretty much ignored clients, or made you feel foolish when ordering drinks. We tried ordering coffee with Bailey's and were treated as though we had three heads. Not all servers and bar tenders were familiar with drinks ordered within the resort, giving you strange stares when you'd order a drink you ordered at another bar. We noticed more uninterested servers this year compared to last. They work long hours, they're tired, but management needs to address this issue as guests go there for the atmosphere as much as for the facility. Now about the rooms. We had a standard room in Villa 1. We don't spend a lot of time in the room, so this is not a top priority for us. The room was clean, the minibar was stocked regularly with beer, water, soft drinks. We tipped the maid daily, and had a clean room. The shower did not have a lot of water pressure, and we received a note one day that our room would be "worked on". We didn't notice anything different. We used the safe but didn't feel the need to lock everything away. We used the Internet service ($6.00/half hour). The person working the Internet Cafe was VERY rude, not too happy to assist us with the hook-up of our laptop, just interested in reminding us that she'd close down shop at noon. I didn't let it bother me too much, we didn't go there to spend our days on the computer, just wanted to send some photos. The reason we went there (beach, pools, spa) were satisfying enough. We will return to the Palladium in the near future, while the resort is still relatively new, before it starts showing too much "wear and tear". We enjoyed our experience this year, as well as last. I should mention that the Fun Team was more active this year, urging people to participate in various activities (ie. Salsa lessons, daily trivia, daily aerobics in the sea or in the pool, beer drinking contest, belly flop contest, Spanish lessons). We enjoyed daily aerobics in the sea, especially when Isaac was the instructor and ended each session with a special "Mexican good-bye"). The fun team did a fantastic job getting people involved without putting too much pressure. Hola to Rosario and Isaac, the two most sparkling personalities on the fun team. Fun, fun, fun!!! The beer drinking contest (Staff vs. Guests) is fun to watch. The ladies on staff kicked the male guests' rear ends. Let's just say that they have much more experience with cervezas than some of the guests. Great fun. Departure from the resort went smoothly, even though we had a very early flight (9:25 flight, had to be in the lobby by 5:20 for bus pick-up). It was nice to have fresh coffee and a couple of trays of pastries set out for us in the lobby. There are also shower facilities next to the bathrooms in the main lobby, I'm assuming for people who get there before their rooms are ready. There's the option of express check-out. Don't forget to keep an eye on your beach towels, as they need the towel cards (you're issued one per person when you check in) or a beach towel when checking out. We had a long bus ride to the airport, but the bus is air conditioned and it's a much quieter ride than on the way in. The airport was chaotic again (one of their busiest days, Saturdays during March Break are crazy at Cancun airport, go figure). Very, very disorganized, lots of flights delayed, people shuffled from gate to gate, no general announcements made, just word of mouth is how we found out that we were moved to another gate, that the flight was delayed, then again, word of mouth to find out that we were boarding. Organization is not a strong point at this airport. Security is not an issue however, standard steps taken, lots of check points, saw people getting bags searched. We didn't let it get to us, knew that one way or another we'd get on the plane after hearing some frenzied pages summoning passengers for final boarding. All that aside, we are still looking forward to another great trip to the Palladium.

• Liked — Beautiful property
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
14 Thank CanadaAlina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,008)
  • Polish first
canada
Reviewed 16 March 2007

We vacationed at the Grand Palladium Colonial the last week in February and the first week in March, 2007. We were a family of five, mom and dad and three teenagers. We had two rooms, side by side. We had originally requested the Kantenah , but were happy with our placement in the Colonial. While it may not have been as quiet as the Kantenah, it was probably more to the kids' liking as it was central to all the activities. We have been vacationing in Mexico for many years, this was the first time to the Grand Palladium Colonial. We had previously stayed at the Grand Palladium Palace in the Dominican Republic. The food and drinks in Mexico were much better than in the DR. I was aware of the size of the resort before hand so the amount of walking was not a surprise to me, but I would pick a smaller resort next time. It seems it is easier to meet people at a smaller place and it makes for a friendlier atmosphere. We picked this resort because we wanted to be sure that our teenagers had lots to do and they did so that was a good thing. The cleanliness of the resort was excellent as was the selection of food. As stated in other reviews, the only complaint I had was that the food in the buffets was often only warm at best. But there was an abundance to choose from and if you go hungry here, you are extremely picky. Again, breakfast was the best meal of the day, which is often the case at an all inclusive. The ala cartes were very good, better than most we have experienced at other resorts. The only problem was you often couldn't get into one you wanted, especially if you were only there a week. That fact, still annoys me but I don't think they'll ever change the way they make reservations. We got into the beach barbecue the first week but when we went to reserve the second week, it was changed to Wednesday and it was already full. Frustrating to have waited in line for nothing. Probably our biggest complaint, and it didn't spoil our trip by any means, but there is a real shortage of staff here and subsequently a real lack of service, especially in the area of the beach bar and the lobby bars. You don't have to worry about drinking too much here because you are lucky if you get a drink once an hour. I often lined up at the beach bar and walked away empty handed after 15 minutes , thinking I really didn't want a pepsi light after all. What was even more frustrating, was if the guy walked up beside you and yelled loud enough, he got service, no matter who was in line first. I do not fault the employees, since there were days they literally ran from start to finish, but there is only so much one person can do. For the size of this place, they needed many more waiters and waitresses etc. We have always known the Mexican people to be extremely friendly and accomodating but here the employees seemed overworked and tired out and not enjoying what they do too much. Our rooms were kept very clean and our maid was excellent. We always had lots of cold drinks in the fridge and if anything needing fixing they were quite prompt. Do be aware that if you are playing beach volleyball, wear shoes. We all cut open toes and knees, the first day as there is concrete underneath the sand at the volleyball court. It really is maddening to watch people hurting their feet day after day and the concrete problem isn't being addressed. Given the amount of walking there is to do, its not good when your feet are cut open the first day. And we weren't the only ones that happened to. All in all we had a good time. This certainly won't go down as one of my favourite places to stay. There was a lot of families here and I wouldn't come if I wanted a quiet getaway with my husband. Don't get me wrong, we had a good time. I just wouldn't return, There are better places for your money,

Stayed March 2007
11 Thank senora30
Cochrane, AB
Reviewed 13 March 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Palladium Colonial Feb 9 - 16th. We went there to celebrate our 9 year wedding anniversary and had a wonderful time!

We travelled via Air Transat and arrived with no problems from Calgary. We booked AGI tours to transport us to and from the airport. Definately suggest doing this!

Check-in went well. No line-ups at all. We got the room we requested (if you want to specify a certain room, contact Lulu at the GP and she will arrange this for you - or at least do her best to accomodate your request. We requested to be situated near the beach, which we did get). We were not greeted with any welcome cocktail (no big deal) and were not taken via golf-cart to our room (fine with me). We purchased a junior suite for our stay - not really worth the extra money. We were in section 20 in the Colonial side - right by the beach and central to everything. The junior suite also has a jaccuzi tub in the bathroom - more like a small one-man bathtub. Definately couldnt fit 2 people in there! Kinda dampened the mood, especially when we were there to celebrate our 9 year anniversary. :(

Other than that, the resort is HUGE. Be prepared to walk a lot. Anyone with any type of disability should definately take note of this. We did not mind all the walking at all as my hubby and I are "fitness freaks" and enjoy the exercise. The thick foliage and the pathways that run in them, make for a very scenic walk too. They have plenty of signs marking the names of the trees along the pathways and what wildlife you can expect to see in them. Neat!

We did go to the gym, but found it extremely hard to work out there. It was like working out in a sauna. It was extremely stuffy, HOT, no fans or A/C. Made for a hard workout! The equipment is OK - the dumbbells only go up to 50 pounds which was disappointing. I would rate the gym a "2" out of "5". Only had one bench for all to share as well. Definately could improve that area.

Be sure to check out the spa. It is BEAUTIFUL! We took advantage of the "couples massage". Had a great time and we felt very relaxed when it was over. Would recomend this to anyone!

The food here is fantastic! The buffet food is very tastey and plentiful. The service was also very good there. A'la cartes are very good as well.

The pools are very nice - didnt go in them as we are beach/ocean people. The beach on the Kantenah/Colonial side is the best for swimming. Plenty of chairs as well. Snorkelling was very good. Plenty of fish and turtles. Didnt see a sting-ray :( Be sure to sneak out some buns to feed the fish. So much fun feeding them!

Saw plenty of wildlife at this resort, which I just loved! There is a resident "wild pig", some crocs, pink flamingos, very colorful snakes and some very friendly raccoons, which I had a blast feeding!

We took a day trip to Akumal to go snorkelling. Highly recommend that! As for other excursions, we didnt really feel the need to leave the resort and do other things. There is plenty to do at the resort.

We didnt see too many kids at this resort, which is fine with me. It appeared that this was not really a resort that catered to kids, compared to other resorts we stayed at in the Mayan Riviera.

The entertainment is a bit on the "cheesy" side and didnt really enjoy it. Found the entertainment at the Barcelo way better!

In all, the GP is a great place to stay - is very clean, the grounds are immaculate (and VERY beautiful) and the staff are very friendly and helpful. We are already considering going back in 2008 to celebrate our 10 year anniversary!

• Liked — Foliage/fauna/grounds
  • Disliked — Gym. Need A/C/fans desperately, more benches and heavier dumb-bells
13 Thank staceyb
Iowa
Reviewed 10 March 2007

We had stayed here 3 years ago and had a great time, but were worried about coming back to the area after what surely must have been devastating hurricane damage in 2005. However, the place still looks good, and the beach is as fabulous as I remembered. The areas with the sand are by the Kanatah and Colonial areas-- the White Sands area has a rockier coastline. You could walk out to your neck into the ocean on sand-- no rocks, as long as you were in the right area. Just fabulous! The pools were nice-- the larger pool tended to be busier on windy days (which kept people away from the beach) but the smaller pools were never very busy. We had 8 in our group, and could always be seated or were able to hang out together. Rooms were nice-- even on the Kanatah and Colonial sides which were older. The bars weren't too busy, the drinks were good. There wasn't a selection of fancy beer...pretty much just plain beer in a plastic cup. Be smart-- bring your own insulated mug for drinks. If I had any complaints, it would be that the food was okay, not great. Don't expect a 4-star restaurant. I actually liked the buffets better than the restaurants they made you get "reservations" for. The meat at the restaurants was pretty greasy. But overall, it was really nice. The new spa was very nicely done and was a peaceful place to hang out-- it now has lots of cool pools, hot tubs, and more. The Palladiums are not too close to any other resorts/towns, and had a nice safe isolated feeling-- we sat on the beach at night and were not concerned. I'd recommend this place highly-- nice rooms, pools, beach. Not the most luxurious hotel in the world, but if you're looking for a good place in a medium price range, this is a good bet. The long, white, sandy beach sells it! Why else are you going down there-- its all about the beach!

• Liked — Beach, spa, attractive resort look
  • Disliked — Medicore food
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
14 Thank IowaSdz
Elgin, Il
Reviewed 9 March 2007

Let me start by saying that if you are looking for room with an ocean view, go else where. Also this was my first time at an all inclusive, and was told by many that "You will never have to worry about eating", again you may have to at this resort. They have one 24 hour Bar, that may or may not have food. And if you do not like Dos XX beer, well then you are out of luck, along with preimum alcohol (only one lounge that opens at 6:00pm). Also the front desk staff not very friendly

Now with the above said, the bar staff was great, the pool also great, and the room (althoguh not an ocean view) was quite nice. Maid staff did a great job on cleaning of the room and also getting it made up when you were out. The Al la Cart restraunt were also pretty good, if you can get a reservation time that is not 5:30 pm or 10:30pm. Buffett food was also quite good.

So all in all, the pool was wonderful (there are several at the resort, they seem to have some activity going all the time), and the bar staff was very friendly, food good.

• Liked — Pool Area
  • Disliked — No room service
5 Thank RustyAnn
moncton
Reviewed 9 March 2007

just a fast review

it was just amazing we did not have one problem. When we got
to the resort they offered us drinks right away to cool down. Our
room was great. the food was really good and the drinks were
incredible. The a la carte were good go to the ribs and more.
and make sure to go at the spa its all free exept for the massages. so overall its was better than punta cana and cuba
....ive been at both.

and the people who complaine well their to fussy so they should stay home.

• Liked — evrething
13 Thank matt1212Moncton
Iqaluit, Nunavut
Reviewed 7 March 2007

My wife, son (6 yrs old), daughter (2yrs) and I just returned from 2 weeks here and we had a great time. As this was our first time to Mexico, I would not hesitate to return.

First of all, if you have young children/toddlers, a stroller is a must. We enjoy walking everywhere and found that our 2 yr old always ended up on my shoulders so after a quick trip to Walmart in Playa Del Carmen, we purchased a $30.00 stroller.

Although all the problems that Mexico had with Canadians, just prior to our trip, we actually no problems and felt safe. We even ventured into Playa Del Carmen using the local bus (15 seater van) for $2.00 each and did some shopping. A must if you go.

As for the resort, it was recommended by my brother who stayed there a few months before us and gave us the "do's and don'ts".

We stayed at the Colonial and had access to the 3 other resorts. We could not go to the 5th one, Royal Suites, as it was for adults only.

The Colonial and Kantenah are together and seemed to be the place where everyone went as the beach area was there as well as the water activities. Even though there were lots of people there, we never felt "over crowded". We use to head down to the pool area around 0800hrs and save a couple of lounge chairs by the kids pool. We would then head for breakfast then come back to swim and play. There are also 2 adult only pools that were pretty quiet as well as a salt water pool fed by the Sea. We spent sometime there and was quiet too.

Food was awesome with theme nights every night. I believe there were 8 Ala Carte and at least another 6-8 Buffet style places. Lunch time you had the choice of beach side grille buffett, outdoor buffett and an indoor buffett. We had the choice of 4 Ala Cartes as we were there for 2 weeks but only used 2. Ribs and More is a great place with really good food.

There were 2 trams that took you all over the resort and took about 20 mins to complete the circle. The kids had a lot of fun riding on it. There were also golf carts for certain areas that whipped around throughout the resort.

The Spa was great as well and the gym had a lot of good equipment although busy at 07:30hrs in the morning. You could use the pool, hot tubs etc in the Spa but anything above that Re: massages etc were extra.

The people there were very friendly and had no problems with anything while we were there. Check in was fast and check out was quick.

We did not get to see any of the shows as they were later in the night and the kids were drained from playing all day but heard that they were the usual resort type shows.

Kids club was good and had lots to do for the kids. Note that any child under 4 had to have an adult with them at all times! We read that on the website but some did not and actually gave the workers a hard time about it.

So I would recommend this resort to famillies and couples with no hesitation.

Stayed February 2007
10 Thank Fire1575
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!