“Amazing...exceeded my expectations...tropical paradise”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Blackwood, New Jersey
“Amazing...exceeded my expectations...tropical paradise”
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Just returned from the Grand Palladium Colonial on July 25. Went with my husband and 16 year old son for a much needed vacation. The resort is the most beautiful place I've ever visited, truly a tropical paradise!! The staff were so courteous and helpful, the grounds were kept immaculate. The rooms were nice, a little dated but clean. Beds were on the hard side and the pillows a bit small. We had a poor view from our balony (just the jungle), but we didn't spend much time in the room. We rented Segways from the pool area on the colonial side to tour the grounds, which I highly recommend doing on your first full day there. George was an awesome tour guide and very funny. The tour gives you an idea where everything is, and since the grounds are massive, it was extremely helpful. Be prepared to see some wildlife. We fed a cute little family of furry friends (can't remember what they are called), but they are in the racoon family. They seemed to be partial to croissants in the morning. The breakfast buffet was great..plenty of selection to choose from. The lunch buffets got old after a while, but who can ever have too much guacamole? Which by the way...was magnificant!!! Dinners...stick with the ala cart restaurants. Bamboo was less than desirable. We waited an hour and there were so many empty seats?? Best restaurant by far was Eldorado Steak House and Randizio Brazil. A few tips...bugspray, insulated mugs for your cocktails on the beach, and inflatable rafts for the pool. You can purchase them at the resort, but they are expensive. Don't forget your dental floss...we forgot ours and spent 8.07 USD at the store on site. Kudos to the staff...everyone was so attentive and professional. Excursions are expensive, but well worth the money. We did a Jungle ATV tour, zip lining, snorkling in a cenote, and rented jet skis on the beach at the resort. We had a great time and the week flew by way too fast. It was a wonderful experience and also a great value! I would go back again and again.

3 Thank RockLobster87
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 July 2010
Thank you for your time. We really appreciate all the great comments thay you made about our resort and especially about our staff. We are working everyday to improve our facilities and the quality of service that we provide to our clients. We strive to make every guests vacation one that they will remember as their best vacation ever.
We are looking forward to your next visit. Please keep in touch and if ther is anything we can do for your, do not hesitate to contact me.
acliente@fiestahotelgroup.com

Best regards,

Banesa Mª Burque

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,012)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We just returned from a great stay at the Colonial. There were a couple minor hiccups, but overall it was very enjoyable and a great place to vacation. Our group consisted of myself, my husband, a teen, a tween and a 2 year old (yep, we've covered all the age categories :) )

I'll just get the negatives out of the way:
1) After 15 hours (from our door to theirs including a red eye flight) we arrived at 2:50 p.m and were ready to fall into a bed, but the rooms were not ready. Check in is at 3:00 and even then, they weren't ready. Really annoyed.
2) Rooms-we requested 2 adjoining rooms, but were told they could not guarantee them. Well the best they could do were two rooms that were 6 doors away. Considering the ages of our children, I was not comfortable with this arrangement. They offered us a suite instead of the two rooms and let us look at both. We chose the suite-it was in a much better location, had a view of the ocean and felt it was the best option. Later I heard another couple upset that they too did not get adjoining rooms and just an FYI adjoining does not mean connecting.
3) The pools. They are huge, but lack the wow factor for my kids. The one near the Colonial is packed, you have to arrive early to secure your chairs. We found the Riviera one to be far less crowded, but my daughter did cut her toe on the tiles. We went to the salt water pool, but found this to be "the" location where the topless sunbathers hung out. Not really how I wanted to spend my time. Don't know if we hit it at a bad time, but they did have those cabana bed that I wished I would've tried. My husband took my daughter back at another time and found it to be very rocky.
4. Drinks-I would have paid more for a better drink. Cheap alcohol and mixes. Whatever you do, don't get any drink made with their slushies-pure syrup=blech!
5. Friday night bar-b-que on the beach. We went at the time recommended and still ended up on the waiting list. We were able to go, but were really disappointed. By the time we got there, there were bugs that had landed in the sauces and dressing and the meats were all charred. My husband said the desserts were horrible, so we went to a buffet and got some ice cream :)
6. Wi-fi-Only located in the hotel lobby
7. While I thought the rooms were really nice, the bedding was not that great. The bedspread seemed old and the sheets scratchy. I would think a resort would have higher quality bedding.
I feel like I wrote a lot of negatives, but there in no one thing on this list that would discourage me from going there again.

Highlights of the resort:
1) Entire staff is very friendly.
2) I was amazed at how deeply cleaned our room was each day. The guy even used a toothbrush to scrub the grout, swept the balcony and was just very thorough.
3) Kids club. My 2 year old went several times and enjoyed being there. My 11 year old went daily and we had to drag her away from it. She liked the staff and enjoyed meeting girls from all over the world. They had a performance every night and I have to say, I was really impressed. They had cute costumes for the kids and hard to imagine they can throw one together each day.
4. The beach-seriously you don't have to go anywhere, you have the perfect beach in front of you. It gets a little rocky on the right side, just stick to the middle section and enjoy one of the prettiest beaches ever. My kids fed the fish. Also, loved that the sand never got hot.
5. The spa-Beautiful. For 18 and over. Had a wonderful Swedish massage and then also spent time just enjoying the facilities. Very relaxing way to spend a few hours and loved the hibiscus water they served there.
6. Ice Cream-It's everywhere and we did not feel guilty considering how hot it was. Best ice cream was at the Riviera bar (near big pool). 10 flavors-try the magnum.
7. Food-Okay, my 14 year old would say this was the best thing about vacation. However his goal was to gain 5 pounds (and he did!). We really liked the buffet the first night. It's huge and has so many choices. But the appeal of the buffet was gone after the third day. Many foods are catered for the European travelers and not that appealing to my family. I will say, the guacamole and pico del gallo-couldn't get enough of it. But good Mexican food is not something you'll find there. Seating at any time was no problem and it's very convenient with kids. We did go to a few a la cartes. They have a kids menu there, so we probably should have tried a few more. The steakhouse was good, not great, but good. The mexican one was good as well. Favorite was the Japanese one, we enjoyed the show and my husband and son liked the sushi as well.
8. Wild life-I was really surprised at all that we saw. I wouldn't suggest it, but we did see many animals being fed including a family of weasles. Of course, the iguanas were everywhere as well.
9, 10, & 11-the beach...Ha, really that's the best part. The water is clear and warm, no waves, sandy bottom and an ocean breeze. What more could you want?

Excursions: I wrote detailed reviews of two of our favorite places-La Buena Vida (restaurant in Akumal) and Xplore (adventure park). Can't say enough about those places-really don't miss them. We also went one evening to Playa del Carmen. Our cab driver offered to stay and arranged a meeting place for us later in the evening. I guess this is common, so they can secure a second fare. My daughter got her hair braided ($18) and we did a bit of shopping. Very expensive. We bought my son an ice cream and paid $7 and wanted to pick up some sand toys for him. A bucket and shovel were $12! Had a nice dinner-many places to choose from. Another day we hired a van/driver to drive us around for the day. Our first stop was Tulum. Very pretty and interesting. Bring your bug spray!!! Even though it was early, it was so hot. There were tour guides available, but honestly I didn't think I'd be able to make it through an hour long tour let alone my kids so we just did a self guided tour and left when we were dripping in sweat. Next stop was a stop at a cenote. There are tons of cenotes (water filled caverns). The water is cool and refreshing, but when I looked up and saw the bats at the top of the cave, it completely lost its appeal! Next we had a wonderful lunch at La Buena Vida. All I can say is go, eat and relax. Afterward we headed to the beach in Akumal. There we went snorkeling and saw lots of turtles and stingrays. We paid $140 to the driver for the day. We felt it was worth it to combine some of our sightseeing in one day.

Things I wished I would have known:
1) Bring the sand and water toys, blow ups, etc...We thought we'd save room in the suitcase and buy them there, but they were ridiculously expensive.
2) If you're debating about bringing a stroller, bring it. This resort is huge. It is a long distance to go anywhere. However, we were on the third floor, no elevator, so just be prepared or request a room on a lower floor.
3) We packed lighter than ever and were so proud of ourselves, but really regretted it. It's so hot and humid, our clothes were dirty. And if anything got wet, it took a long time to dry. There is no self laundry on the premises and while it's not super expensive for have the laundry done for you, it does add up.

Conclusion:
Our family has traveled several times to Hawaii and been on cruises. This was our first time going to an inclusive. Although we disliked the time it took for us to travel to this location, we really enjoyed it. We're used to always being on the go, it took us awhile to realize that we really didn't have to go anywhere to enjoy the vacation. Unlike a cruise, we didn't feel like they were trying to upsell more products. Other than the photographs, there was really nothing else that was being sold. I also thought the beach while a little crowded, was prettier than any in Hawaii. I think if you're looking for a single destination to go to and just relax and not worry about lots of excursions (though many are available should you choose), this is a beautiful resort that offers just that.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank homeleone
Longueuil, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2010

My trip was made last year, but given the amount of bad reviews I've seen recently, I though I would contribute as well. Just for context, it was my first all-inclusive ever, I usually do backpacking and we went in low season. We chose an AI this time because we needed to relax and that is exactly what we did. We had no problem with the staff, the food or the accommodations.

Food:
Lots of variety to choose from, I was more than happy. Was the food fancy or anything? No, but I wasn't expecting to dine in 5* restaurants while in an AI and certainly not one at that price. Sure others can be better, but could also cost twice as much. I did get an upset stomach by the end of my 2 weeks vacation, but with all I ate and all I drank, I'm the only one to blame.

Service:
Was the service good? In all fairness, I probably can't tell, but It surely wasn't bad. When I go on vacation I don't expect those people to serve me, I just expect them to "accommodate" me with professionalism. When I said hola, all staff answered back nicely, even people busy repairing stuff on the premise.

Grounds:
That is THE reason we chose the Palladium and we were not disappointed. Very natural, very green, I felt like I was in heaven. Yes the resort is huge, but we had no issue walking anywhere. If you're not sure about walking, just go to GoogleMap and use the distance calculator (new) to figure-it out.

General:
Now, is the Palladium a 5* hotel? No, but easily a solid 4*; the Royal section is. Anyone disappointed of not having 5* services at the Palladium should have checked their information prior to booking. There is a huge community of Palladium fans out there, search for the Palladium Addict website, people will be more than happy to answer your questions and make sure your vacations can meet your expectations.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Zenthar
Pasadena, Maryland
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Let me first begin with what I thought was nice about this place. It is a beautiful resort and very clean. The beach was equally as beautiful, the pools are large and well kept. That is about all I can say good about this place.
Within hours of checking in, ALL OUR MONEY WAS STOLEN FROM A LOCKED SAFE!!!! There is no doubt in my mind that we (4 women traveling for a girl trip) were watched and targeted.
After checking in approx. 3pm, we went to our room. secured our belongings in the safe, checked it, and went about our fun. we went to the pool till about 6pm, returned to our room, showered for dinner, left about 7pm, two within our party returned to the room about 9pm. The next morning we planned to book our excursion, upon going to the safe for our money we discovered the door was closed but not locked, and found our wallets were EMPTY of all our cash. When we went to report this to the customer service representative we were treated as though we were lying. When the security guard came to our room to supposedly check it as apart of their investigation, he could not understand it was not a lump some of cash that went missing, it was seperate cash amounts, in seperate wallets that was missing. He still insisted in looking through our belongings because we may have misplaced our money. 4 different people...all misplaced their money????? We were told we would receive a report of the final investigation, NEVER received one. We were offered a half hearted apology for our misfortune, never offered any kind of consellation of any kind. We never expected our money back, but someting would have been nice, maybe the excursion we wanted to buy, paid for, a room up grade, a bottle of champagne. Nope NOTHING!!!
On top of the money being stolen, we were VERY disappointed by the service of the staff. Our pillows were TERRIBLE, we asked for extra pillows. It took several different requests all day long before they finally came. The bartenders were horrible, they would look directly at you and turn the other way without acknowledging you, several times before they would finally wait on you. Other resorts I have been to in cancun EVERYONE would acknowledge you from the maid service to the groundskeepers, and the waitstaff in the resturants. You will not find that here. No one that works there seems to be happy to be there. Our room was supposed to have 2 queen size beds, when we got there we found 2 full size beds, for 4 people to share, not very comfortable at all. I will not be returning to this place and DO NOT reccommend this place to anyone

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank redhead1285
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 July 2010
First of all, we apologize for the inconvenience suffered during your stay with us. We made an investigation and in order to give you a proper answer concerning the incident, we would like to ask for your e-mail adress please.

acliente.riviera@fiestahotelgroup.com

Best Regards,

Banesa Mª Burque
Jarrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2010

After reading some of the reviews, we were a little apprehensive. From the moment we arrived we found these comments mystifying and wrong!!!
Yes, the resort is large but it only took us two days to get the lay of the land because the signage was so good. We have visited lots of places in the world ( including Sandals St lucia ) but this resort was by far the BEST.
The rooms, bars, pool areas and restaurants were all immaculate.
One of the things that we picked up on previous reviews was that the staff were not very friendly or helpful. We found this to be the total opposite, as every member of staff would greet you with a wide smile and an Olah!!! But maybe it was because we smiled at them and were pleasent to them and thanked them for thier help when it was reqiured.
We thought it was a great touch by the resort to put on a great day for the Spanish and Dutch supporters for the world Cup final. A huge screen, tables full of food and drink. We had a great afternoon, a day we will always remember.
In fact not just that day but the two wonderful weeks we spent on the resort. The only time we left the resort was to go to the airport for our flight home.
One last comment about the staff. For those who say "they don't smile", go to the Lobby Bar of the Collonial and order a drink from Valentin and you will be greeted by the biggest smile you have ever seen.
We have only one more thing to add,
WE'LL BE BACK!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank BG
New Jersey
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We just returned a few days ago. We are in our mid-forties & travelled with our two daughters and their friends ages 18,18,20 & 20. We also went with our Parents who are mid-sixties. My husband & I have been to Mexico before [Barcelo, Sandos, Valentin, Iberostar Tucan and Bahia Principe] as a reference. We have also been to Dominican Republic [Ocean Blue, Majestic 2x, Excellence].. I will try to give as much info as I can.

Pros:
Ala Carte Restaurants...We loved that you could go every night since we hate buffets for dinner. We thought the food throughout the resort was very good! Restaurants were beautiful and very clean. Service was very good in all ala Cartes. This was a huge plus to this resort for all of us... AC in restaurants was minimal,however, and all in our party DID sweat while eating...They need to turn it up

Salt Water Pool...
This was AMAZING. Gorgeous quiet place. My favorite place to be in the whole resort

Spa...
So big and clean.. They really thought of everything here. Even if you dont work out, this place is a must-see

Lobbies...
They were all beautiful. A great place to have a drink before dinner. Very relaxing and their designs were all alittle different.

Beach..
OK, Not the best beach we have ever seen but nice. We didn't care for the "bushes" on the beach that obstructed the views of the water. Also, the beach is narrow...The best beach we have been to has probably been at the Majestic in the DR.

CONS:
Service...
Waiters in the AlaCartes were great but it pretty much ended there. No one seemed happy. We had to say "hola" to employees walking by or most wouldnt say anything or even look at us. Upon arrival our daughter went to the Colonial lobby bar & waited for a bartenter to serve her for a half hour! After being ignored that long [while speaking up!] she left.... WOW is all I can say to that. This is opposite of what we have experienced in any of the resorts we visited... No one was fun or memorable [especially bartenders, who usually are!]...We usually make friends with everyone & we left feeling like they really didn't want to be there...Attitudes were poor...This was major for us and we feel management really needs to address it.

Disco....
Our kids said there was no one there... If you are bringing teens/young adults, there are few kids their age... They have had a better time at other resorts... Maybe not the resorts fault but worth mentioning...

Front Desk...
We emailed the resort prior to arrival asking for our rooms to be together & specifying king vs double beds... Nothing was honored. My Mother & Father-In Law had to sleep in separate beds for 10 days! We also requested top floor rooms. We slept in first-floor room entire trip. This was dissapointing and I wondered why I bothered emailing.[Jonathon at the desk was very nice but said there was nothing he could do to help us]

All-In All, we had a great time and this resort is beautiful. If management works on employee moral it would help this resort tremendously...It has everything else going for it. Give these people some happy-pills or something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any questions, feel free to ask!

4 Thank sunbunnyisme
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 17 July 2010

and there was nothing wrong with our vaca there but it is not a place that we would return. We enjoyed our Barcelo vacation much more. We stayed in a standard room in villa 7 at Colonial. The room was very nice and clean and the balcony was very private with a scene of jungle.
The main drawbacks for us were
1) the maze! Thats what I called it. Walking is fine with me when I can tell where I am going. There are alot of directional signs and 'you are here' maps but you go in circles ALOT. It was a maze with clues but you still ended up in the wrong place and starting over. Frustrating! After about 3 or 4 days you get your bearings and things work out better but when you are on a 5 day vacation that wears thin on your nerves. Don't plan on going back to the room for a forgotten item. Comfy shoes is a must, I had blisters after one day. The trams/golf carts run every 15 mins at the lobby areas but we were never lucky enough to be there at the right time and by the time the cart got to us it was too crowded to get on so we ended up walking anyway. Regular empy carts just went right by you with out an offer of travel all the time (???).
2) didn't seem like the workers there were very happy to be there, most were just barely social and ALOT didn't speak any english at all. Heck, alot of guests there didn't speak english.
3) VERY crowded and loud with kids and large groups of people having family get togethers. We wanted some quiet and couldn't find it anywhere. Even ended up back in our room for a quiet afternoon rest and it was loud there because of the daily cleaning in other rooms and very thin walls. Lots of dragging furniture across floor noises and doors slamming.
4) beach is okay but I have seen better. The sand is good in some areas and rough in some. The water had alot of seaweed and wasn't as clear as we have seen elsewhere. The section in front of colonial is about the only swimmable area and it was so crowded that you couldn't be out there without being right next to strangers.
5)mosqitos,knats, ants (big and small) everywhere. Use alot of insect repellent and even then you will get bit. They even fogged the area once but I didn't notice it helping.
6) TV in room has no movie channels and only about 4 out of 10 english speaking channels. Good thing we didn't spend alot of time in there. OH and the cable as very fuzzy so my husband checked the outlet and it was about to fall apart so he fixed it and then we had clear channels.
7) The water pressure in the shower was AWFUL so my husband had to fix that too, he took the water saver out of the shower head. I knew I brought him for some reason. :) You will also have a hard time seeing in the room thanks to the low wattage bulbs. We had to take the lamp shades off to get more light.

On the good side
1) POP (People of Palladium) put on really good shows in the evening at the Colonial, there were vendors in the lobby area every night as well but their prices are high. Lobby bars were convenient and drinks were very good compared to other AI's we have been to. Nice breeze in the lobby as well.
2) Food was pretty good for an AI. There is only one night we didn't like anything at the buffet. The El Dorado and Ribs and More restaurants were good.
3) the salt water pool area is breathtakingly beautiful and fairly quiet but no food in the area so don't go hungry. TAKE A CAMERA!
4) maid service and mini bar stocker was really good and prompt everyday. I thought the lotion they left in the room was of really good quality (from their Renova spa). The shampoo/conditioner is good but you will need an extra conditioner if you have thick or dry hair.
5) the mangroves/trails thru-out resort are dark, interesting and romantic but filled with insects and spooky noises at night. But that is the best time to go because its cooler. During the day there is no breeze on the trails.
6) really cute little critters running around...racoons, badgers, iguanas, lizards...all pretty friendly but I didn't get too close. Alligator pens are disgusting.

Just wasn't for us but I would recommend it for people that like the larger resorts and don't mind all the walking.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank msnaebee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#80 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!