“One word...Paradise”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“One word...Paradise”
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We stayed at The Colonial in July and could not find a single fault.
Pool/Pool bars.Always being cleaned, plenty of things to do at the pool side.Waiters were always helpful at the bars and pool side buffets,Angel at the White Sands was brilliant. There is always a free sunbed with or without shade.
Towels. You get allocated a towel card for each person, but if you happen to see towels left over night then you can trade these in for more towel cards.
Buffet Restaurant at The Colonial.Always plenty of fine food, waiters again terrific could not fault them.Freddy was brilliant he had the most funniest laugh and very helpful,your glass was never empty.
Al La Carte Restaurants. They offered a wide range of food. The Brazillian was great as you could have eight different meats including rabbit, sausage, and beef. You can also get branded drinks in these restaurants too.
Transport around resort.Transport between lobbies was provided by a road train and golf buggies,so you did not have to walk. There was also undercover walkways between villas and lobbies so you didnt have to get wet.
Rooms.Very clean mini bar filled every day could not ask for more, views were good as you either looked out on to pools or jungle.
Spa.Great place for peace and quiet.Massages were awesome and done more than we expected!! Very clean.
Gym. Very clean and had weights/running machines/cross trainers etc. There was plenty to go round.
Bars in general.Brilliant staff and service, done their best to provide the drink you required.
Beach. Superb, very clean. Sea weed is always being cleaned up. Although a bit rocky and bit sharp on your feet, the fish are brilliant to see so worth going snorkeling.
Animals. We were lucky to see badgers, racoons, ONE monkey, blue land crabs, lots of singing birds, ALOT of iguanas, but dont be worried they just hide out in the rocks and their holes. Flamingos, crocodiles and koi carp are also on site and well looked after. There is alot of worry about mosquitos, but as long as your prepared and put spray on before you go out and perhaps dont put too much aftershave/perfume on, your unlikely to get bitten. They often come out after the rain and are mostly in the jungle areas around the complex rather than the main bar/restaurant areas.
Grounds. Always kept clean and tidy, no litter of the paper type or iguana mess. Just be mindful that if it does rain then the marble floor could be slightly slippy, but the staff are soon on to it as they mop the floor reqularly to get rid of any water.

4 Thank CambridgeTravellers2
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 August 2010
Thank you for your review and the good comments about our property CambridgeTravellers2. I am glab to know that you enjoy your holidays with us and, if there is anything else we can do, do not hesitate to contact us directly.
acliente.riviera@fiestahotelgroup.com

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
  • Polish first
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We traveled the week of July 25th and stayed on the Colonial side. It was myself ,my husband and 4 young adults ( ages 18 to 21 ) .This was our 8th trip to Mexico ( Cancun area and Riviera Maya ) Our first stay at a GP hotel. . I will start with the positives . The hotel and grounds were well maintained. . Check in was fine, and the rooms were nice. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The food was average . We found the Mexican restaurant to be the best. The staff was great there and very entertaining. The pool was great and there was only a minimal wait at the pool bar. Spa was fantastic .Being able to utilize the other hotels pools , restaurants etc was great and really a bonus. Now for the negatives. We could hardly EVER get a train. While having reservations for restaurants can be limiting they provide organization. Waiting 2 hours in line to be seated in a restaurant is a waste of peoples time. They lack the small amenities other hotels provide. Drinks upon check in , towel animals in the rooms ( and i did tip them ) etc. Its the small details that separate an average place from a superior one. Our favorite at this point remains the Iberostar chains , they have really cornered customer satisfaction . With this being said however, everyone had a great time.

2 Thank roblndrfr
Waterlooville UK
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa Review

Over View
Lovely complex good sized rooms, spacious bathrooms, comfy beds, but not so comfy pillows. The maids work hard to keep everything clean, mini bar was always full. There is a very large work force keeping the complex clean and tidy, especially the gardeners, they have a massive area to keep tidy! Although a large resort ( 4 x hotels) it did not seem over crowded. I think this is due to its layout amoungst the jungle/mangrove swamps. We walked everywhere, only using the train twice during a two week stay.

Pools & Beach
Smashing Sandy beach loads of sun beds, snorkeling was not the best but we stilled managed to see barracuda and rays just off the beach. Pools again plenty of sun beds, when the beach is open, on the days the wind is to strong to hit the beach the main pool gets very busy and a lot of the sun beds are reserved early morning. The main pool at the Colonial is deep well 5 foot, and hard work when you have a drink in your hand !! Salt water pool ideal to learn to snorkel in especially kids. We saw lots of small young fish and a tiny Lion Fish!!
If on holiday without the kids then adult pool is fab. Lovely secluded spot with a bar and quiet back ground music.

Food & Drink
Buffet was good with plenty of choice. A fresh fruit juice bar and lots of Brut for the Bucks Fizz at breaky!!
All the al a carte restaurants were good, except the Mexican, slow service and cold food!!!.
Very good bar service good cocktails on the whole no long wait to get served even at the swim up bar

Spa
Nice & relaxing. Adult only with free use of the area unless you want a treatment. Sauna, Steam room, Jacuzzi's Plunge pool and a pool with sun beds also a well equiped gym.

Trips
Organised our 2 main trips on the internet (free wifi in the reception area or pay in the Sports Bar) went to "Chicken Pizza" with Yucatrek. Excellent tour, looked after by Mitch also booked with them for the Whale Sharks Eco Colours taking us out to sea. Fabulous well worth the 190 US$ Fast boat took us to the area just over an hour to find the 80 that were feeding that day, biggest we swam with was roughly 8m!!! Plenty of time in the water with them. If you suffer from seasickness take plenty of tablets. the area is approx 50 miles out to sea and to avoid the shark while people are in the water the boat crosses the sea so rolls heavily (depends on the sea state we had a 2m swell!)

Tulum
The Porter sorted a taxi for us and he agreed to wait for us (US$60 round trip) 51 peso to get in. Well worth it but its just as easy to get a local bus these are very friendly and helpful cost about 20 peso each

Xcaret
Save some money and book online, then get the collectivo it stops out side then there is a shuttle to take you to the gate, very easy to do. Fun day in the water, lots to see and do. Lots of people doing the dolphin thing here, small pens very sad to see. !!!

Playa Del Carman
Pick up the collectivo bus from the main gate, was 30 peaso (£2 ) we just asked for 5th avenue they told us were to go, and where to get the bus, for our return journey with hardly any English spoken! Great fun mixing with the locals.

Snorkeling Trip Akumal
From the hotel watersports place on the beach (40 US$ ) saw 5-6 turtles in the hour we were there. Sea was rough so we went by mini bus instead of boat, felt it was over priced, did not realise at the time but we could have got the collectivo there for 10 - 20 peso and spent all day there!

Good family hotel with plenty going on for young and old but also quiet spots to relax and chill. Entertainment staff work very hard, shows were good, day time activities round the pool looked fun, they even managed to keep people occupied on the days it rained. Good value for money resort with lots to do and see.

4 Thank TonyC-UK
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Ok you take away the marble and the koi ponds and what have got? It was like staying in a noisy water park. It was a long way from the airport further then they will admit. We had eighteen of us there and my sister booked it through expedia and they made an error and it looked like I hadn't paid for my daughter, so in stead of the hotel trying to work with us they charged us full retail for two people separate even though they admitted they knew expedia had made a mistake, they charged us eight hundred extra! And they didn't have to and they were rude about it, they knew we had no choice. None of us will ever stay there again. The food was good for about three days and I know its hard to be leave a grape can taste like a piece of chicken but if you've eaten a lot of cafeteria food you know what iam talking about! Now I know what your thinking they have all those theme restaurants well.... If you like Mexican japanese, Mexican Italian,Mexican chinese ect then you'll be right at home. My advise go see the real Mexico eat in real places and meet the wonderful people.

• Stayed July 2010
3 Thank hanzilla
Wesley Chapel, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Grand Palladium Colonial July 20-27th

I went to Grand Palladium Colonial with my family for a vacation of fun and sun and to celebrate the completion of my Master’s Project and my brother’s graduation from tech. school. This was my 5th trip to the Riviera and my parents 3rd. For a comparison, I have recently been to Iberostar Tucan and Excellence Cancun. My parents have recently been to Aventura Spa Palace. I love to read reviews to get a good picture of the resort, so I am bring very detailed. Sorry for the length!

Booking
We booked through Orbitz in 2 separate reservations (I was flying in from Charlotte and they were flying from Detroit). When I sent the room reservation into GP, they had no record of my parents’ reservation. After a few emails they got it straightened out (but also mentioned no room requests were guaranteed- of course!).

The Arrival
My parents landed in Cancun at 1:00pm and I land at 1:45(20 min. later than planned). We both breezed through customs- I had no more than a 5 min wait. I was worried about finding my parents/meeting up with them at the airport, but it was very easy. They just waited in the baggage claim area. I got a green light but my parents got red. No big a deal- a few extra minutes to look through their bags and we were on our way.

The Transfer
We walked outside to find USA Transfers. We saw lots of other transfer companies, but no USA. Seeing our confusion, some gentleman asked who we were looking for and helped us find them. Once outside, the “sharks” are gone and the people are very helpful and polite! If you can’t find your transfer company, just ask someone outside and they’ll be happy to point you in the right direction! We were on our way to the hotel at about 2:15 and arrived around 3:30. The ride was very comfortable and since we’ve been down this way often, knew what to expect from the ride. We booked a private transfer since it wasn’t included in our Orbitz reservation and it was cheaper per person with USA than another company. I have always taken shared transportation and never found it too long (and in fact I like seeing other hotels). But, if you want private transportation USA Transfers is great!

Check In
Upon arrival into GP we were welcomed, bags taken, and pointed to the reception desk. I can’t really explain, but we got a very cold feeling from the front desk staff. They were not rude, but not friendly or welcoming. They just said: Name, Travel Documents, Keys, etc. It really took me aback as usually the front desk staff are very welcoming and friendly at other resorts. Because of this cold factor, it gave us a negative first impression of the resort.

After getting our room keys we were whisked away to a meeting about the resort. We were hungry and thirsty and not in the mood to talk about the resort- we did LOTS of research before we went! We politely kept saying that we knew the information and were hungry, but he just kept talking! This also added to our negative feelings towards the resort. I don’t understand why they can just give us the information and if we have questions have the option of a meeting with a resort representative.

Also, I knew not to expect a welcome drink, but after traveling for hours we were thirsty and would have liked some refreshment. I don’t remember any other resorts not giving us a welcome a drink on arrival! Yes, the bar is there but even at check in my mom mentioned how thirsty she was and no offer was made. She left the welcome “meeting” to find a bottle of water from the bar, who just pointed her back to the reception desk, who then gave her the water. A lot of hassle – why could they not just give her the water when she checked in and said she was thirsty?!

The final front desk snafu was after the GP meeting guy finally let us leave, he told us to go the pool buffet to get something to eat. We headed there immediately and were told it is closed! By now I was extremely annoyed and vowing not to return as the staff was not only unfriendly and unhelpful, but also unaware of their own restaurant hours!

It was a very frustrating initial 45 min. at the resort. However, once we escaped from the lobby staff, the resort was great! We came to really enjoy the resort itself, and as long as we didn’t have to deal with the front desk staff our mood remained cheery. It is such a disappointment that the first image of the resort is a poor one based on the treatment (or lack of treatment) of the staff in the lobby. Just go into the resort knowing this and that once you get out of the “check-in” everything will be great (don’t let them set the tone for the whole resort).

Rooms
I was given building 7 (as I requested) on a second floor (requested 3rd floor, but that was fine) with a king bed (requested 2 beds). I was concerned and asked to change rooms as I was sharing with my brother, but they said they couldn’t do anything and would call me if a room opened up with 2 beds (the call never came and I was not surprised). My parents were upgraded to building 20- a Jr. Suite. There is nothing sweet about the “suite”. Their room was identical to my room with the exception of a small sofa in the room. Definitely not worth it to pay for a Jr. Suite unless you need a bed for a 5th person. However, building 20 was in a perfect location. Just a few steps to the bridge that takes you to the beach and about 5 min. walk to both lobbies for dinner. The rooms are nothing exciting- it is a place to sleep. But, I don’t need much else. Everything was clean and in pretty good condition so nothing to complain about. I didn’t notice that the bed was hard as some have mentioned. It was firm, but not uncomfortable. The pillows are small, but I made them work. I slept well, so no complaints here. In the room with 2 beds, the beds were small. VERY SMALL! I couldn’t believe my parents could not get a king size bed- but they made it work and didn’t complain about it.

The food here is above average for a resort of this price range. In fact, it is very good for any level of all –inclusive. The buffets are pretty standard every day- they have mostly the same dishes daily. However, this food is very good and it is easy to always find something you like to eat. We were all very happy with the quality of the food and the choices that were offered. I cannot see how anyone could be unhappy with the food! No, the food is not that of a 5 star restaurant, but it is not college dorm food either. The staff is meticulous at checking on the food regularly for quality control. Every night we ate at a restaurant. The Italian and Brazilian were our favorites for environment and food. We also enjoyed the El Dorado (but my steak was too rare for my taste- ordered it medium, but it was more like medium rare), Japanese (not a fan of the food here- did not do show table), Ribs (I had the hamburger and it was much better than the beach bars burgers- the ribs were very good according to my mom), and Punta Emilia fish restaurant (not great ambience, but food was good).

Drinks and Bars
I am not a big drinker. I like AI for the fact I can try all sorts of things and not worry if I don’t like it! I thought that all the drinks were strong and often told the bartenders to stop their pour.  I did like that Champagne was at all the bars. The bartenders are not aware of who arrived first, so you just shout your request. If you are shy you are most likely not going to get a personal invitation for your order, so just know that if they are busy you’ll need to be a bit more aggressive. This is not a personal slight from the staff, they are just very busy! As for the wine, I thought it was oaky- not great, but not too bad either.

Staff
The staff here are not outwardly friendly. They won’t acknowledge you as you walk by, won’t go out of their way to say hi, etc. However, if you acknowledge them they will acknowledge you with a smile. So, I wouldn’t say the staff is unfriendly (with the exception of the front desk), they are just working. I didn’t find it off putting (with the exception of the front desk), just that they were busy and working hard.

Maid Service
This was the worst maid service I have ever had! They made the beds and folded the towels but that was it. They did not organize the counters, organize shoes, fold clothes, etc. They did not even discard empty bottles! I am not overly messy, but my brother is a whole other issue! Every other hotel the room is pristine every day- this was not the case in our room. I tipped the first 2 days, but did not after. My parents did get that service- and after seeing our room- tipped their maid even more.

Beach
This beach is okay in my opinion. I really love beaches with turquoise water color, and although the water is nice at the Palladium- it is not striking. The beach is long for walks and the white sand is comfortable to walk on. I did love the fact that the beach had palapas, palms, and hammocks. Very beautiful. They do need to add more palapas in the center of the beach and on the Kantenah side. But, by Colonial and White Sands- it was wonderful. You just had to walk a few feet to get to the swimming area. Yes, much of the water is rocky except for a small portion in between Kantenah and Colonial, but there was always room for everyone who wanted to enjoy the sea. Do be careful about the rocks as they are there, but just tread lightly.

Sickness
Before I left I was very worried about becoming ill. I ate everything I wanted, drank with care, and stayed hydrated. No one in our party got sick. I did hear a few people talking about members in their group becoming ill for 24 hrs. or so, but it sounded more like the flu to me. Anywhere there is a mass of people sharing serving utensils, the risk of catching something is there. However, bring the hand sanitizer if you are worried- I brought mine but kept forgetting to bring it eat! Just go and enjoy and hope for the best!

Overall
We had a wonderful trip and I would definitely recommend this resort! I love that honeymooners can find seclusion and families can find a place for fun. There is something for everyone at this hotel. The quality you get for the price cannot be beat. The food is great in comparison to other resorts in this same price range. No, this resort is not 5 star, but I would say a solid 4 star. We paid about $800pp for the week including airfare and it was a deal for all the hotel offered. I would definitely return to this hotel for the good food, decent beach, and the price.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Miss-Bahama
Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We went to this resort for just a few days - we were initially booked in the Kantenah resort and they upgraded our room to the Colonial. If you are an adult travelling with a spouse - request to be in Colonial Villa 21 or 20. That puts you in great proximity to the pool/beach/lobby/adults only pool. It was beautiful. The food was blah; but I have yet to stay at an AI where the food is amazing. Some of the dress required dinner spots were good and were definitely better than the buffets but it was nothing to comment on really one way or the other - just food. The beach swimming area was small but it was very close to our villa - we were in 20. The only issue that was poor that we had was going to and from the resort. We flew in at 10pm and left at 9am - SO we had to wait to leave the airport and didn't actually get to the hotel until 1 or so. And when we left we had to be picked up at 4:40am. It is a bit scary there at night with the cops out and their machine guns in hand; which makes the 1.5-2 hr trip (because you are usually dropping other people off or picking people up) a little bit unnerving. But other than that it was a GREAT place to stay. The resort is huge, there are Coati's in the jungle that will bring their family up to you so you can hand feed them, the beach is topless, the nightly entertainment was great, and the folks from La Casa De Habano will deliver cigars to you so you never have to leave the resort. It was a perfect couple days. I wish we could have stayed longer to do some of the touristy things like Xel-ha or the Mayan Ruins.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Texasrumrunner
Blackwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Just returned from the Grand Palladium Colonial on July 25. Went with my husband and 16 year old son for a much needed vacation. The resort is the most beautiful place I've ever visited, truly a tropical paradise!! The staff were so courteous and helpful, the grounds were kept immaculate. The rooms were nice, a little dated but clean. Beds were on the hard side and the pillows a bit small. We had a poor view from our balony (just the jungle), but we didn't spend much time in the room. We rented Segways from the pool area on the colonial side to tour the grounds, which I highly recommend doing on your first full day there. George was an awesome tour guide and very funny. The tour gives you an idea where everything is, and since the grounds are massive, it was extremely helpful. Be prepared to see some wildlife. We fed a cute little family of furry friends (can't remember what they are called), but they are in the racoon family. They seemed to be partial to croissants in the morning. The breakfast buffet was great..plenty of selection to choose from. The lunch buffets got old after a while, but who can ever have too much guacamole? Which by the way...was magnificant!!! Dinners...stick with the ala cart restaurants. Bamboo was less than desirable. We waited an hour and there were so many empty seats?? Best restaurant by far was Eldorado Steak House and Randizio Brazil. A few tips...bugspray, insulated mugs for your cocktails on the beach, and inflatable rafts for the pool. You can purchase them at the resort, but they are expensive. Don't forget your dental floss...we forgot ours and spent 8.07 USD at the store on site. Kudos to the staff...everyone was so attentive and professional. Excursions are expensive, but well worth the money. We did a Jungle ATV tour, zip lining, snorkling in a cenote, and rented jet skis on the beach at the resort. We had a great time and the week flew by way too fast. It was a wonderful experience and also a great value! I would go back again and again.

3 Thank RockLobster87
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 July 2010
Thank you for your time. We really appreciate all the great comments thay you made about our resort and especially about our staff. We are working everyday to improve our facilities and the quality of service that we provide to our clients. We strive to make every guests vacation one that they will remember as their best vacation ever.
We are looking forward to your next visit. Please keep in touch and if ther is anything we can do for your, do not hesitate to contact me.
acliente@fiestahotelgroup.com

Best regards,

Banesa Mª Burque
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!