“Good hotel apart from food.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Good hotel apart from food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful and I enjoyed my stay very much. Food wasn't great. Most of it is tasteless and of poor quality. I saw cockroaches on one of the restaurants' buffet table and bugs on the lettuce in another one. I also didn't like that some of the afternoon shows are too sexual, not something you want your children to watch!

• Stayed November 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank karluchis
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear karluchis,

Thank you for share with us your comments. I will take note about each one and I will analize this with our team.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Kantenah May 4- 11, 2012. We were there because our daughter’s wedding, 39 people in total. What a wonderful resort. Unlimited access to the restaurants, the drinks were none stop if wanted to partake. The facility is clean, rooms are excellent, meals were perfect especially the meal the wedding night, it was fantastic; we all wanted to eat it again the next night. The wedding planner was super" Vanessa" I would recommend her. The staff were polite and friendly. We hired a DJ recommended by Vanessa and they were really excellent as well. Our son-in-law has been to the resort four times none and he raved about the place. He was right, step in the right direction he did well. We can't say enough. Go and stay at this resort. If I have one comment go to the restaurants early, the Bamboo was our least favorite overall. The Mede terrain restaurant was good except for the desert it was really hard it was like eating the sample display model. Can't say enough, weather was beautiful fabulous beach, you must go to the SPA it was great as well. Lots of walking, but the train and carts are also available. We would go again.

Room Tip: We had a suuite and it was super, slept 8 but really didin't need the big room, but ti was nice...
3 Thank rwillie_53
Dear rwillie_53,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for share with us and others readers your opinion about your vacation. I am glad to know that you and your family have had a great wedding.

Maple Ridge District Municipality, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

I've never been to Mexico in May, but let me tell you, it is HOT HOT HOT!! We stayed for two weeks from May2nd-May16th at the Kantenah. Unlike the reviews for the White sands, we were not greeted with a drink. We were a bit overwhelmed as we were hot, tired, hungry and thirsty. When you first arrive at a massive resort it's a bit confusing.
The reviews don't lie people, this resort is MASSIVE. Prepare to walk or wait for train rides or golf carts. The resort itself is BEAUTIFUL. It's a jungle out there so bring your bug spray. There is so much beautiful wildlife to see here!
Pools- the pools are big, and beautiful with plenty of chairs,tables, and plallapas available. There are plenty of activities and fun happening in the main pool area. Memo, and Alex work very hard to make sure everyone is entertained! For a quieter pool in the Kantenah area visit the pool by the Junior Black and White Club, it's hardly busy and there is a bar that is never busy there.
Beach- AMAZING The Kantenah and Colonial have the BEST beach areas. Crytal clear water and many fish. EXCELLENT snorkelling!! The dive shop on site is great and my husband managed to get in 10 dives! My kids took advantage of the kyaks, and peddle boats. Not affiliated with the resort is also a company offering jet ski rentals and some locals selling jewelry.
A bonus to staying in a large resort is having a long stretch of beach to explor. Many chairs, hammoks and palm trees offering shade available. Tip: bring your own refillable insulated cup, if you're going to wait in a line up to get a drink you want to make sure you don't have to wait again 10 minutes later.
ROOMS- we had a 3rd floor junior suite. Rooms are average. If you want something really nice stay at the White Sands section. A pillow menu?? Really, can't everyone just have a comfy pillow included in the cost of their trip? TIP: you must stick your room card key into a slot to get your air conditioning to turn on this also turns your lights on. When you take it out when you leave you will come back to an unbearably HOT room. If you leave it in when you leave your room a maid will take it out. If you put up your do not disturb sign and leave it- you will have a properly air conditioned room.
ENTERTAINMENT- out of every 5star resort I've been to, this entertainment was THE BEST. Do not miss The Pirat show! The professional dancers are incredible! The Colonial theater is very small, so make sure to catch the shows at The Riviera Theater. Honestly I know the shows are usually a little hokey but this was GREAT!! Also make sure to catch the Mayan show outside at the saltwater pool in the evening this is an experience you don't want to miss!! The entertainment staff work so hard to make sure everyone is having a great time! They are FABULOUS and FRIENDLY take some time to talk to them.
SERVICE- service is really a hit and miss. The buffet service is NOT GOOD, be prepared to chase a cup of coffee, cappuccino, or glass of water, literally. We did have good service a couple of times from the same gentleman named David, he was good and we made sure to tip him. Service at the bars is good but slow when it's busy, they try their best. Reception is friendly. A la carte sevice is sssssssllllowwwww. We still tipped but be prepared for a 2 hour experience each time.
ONE COMPLAINT- you go to Mexico you know it's going to be hot. I get that. But you look for a little relief when going into a buffet or a la carte. The air conditioning was never turned on at these places. So hot, I'm talking 90 + degrees inside!! You know it's hot when the staff is sweating, and they were!! I enquired several times and even to a manager and was told they were having problems with the a/c. Well, they had problems the entire two weeks. I'll bet the people in the Royal Suites section didn't have any problems with a/c in their section. I was secretly happy when an older European gentleman freaked out and shouted " What is the matter with you people? Turn on the airconditioning! It's too hot!!" - he was ignored. I went over and agreed with him. It was so uncomfortable it made you feel nauseous trying to eat in the buffets or the a la cartes. I had to get up and leave just as my meal was arriving at Ribs and More as I was overcome with the heat and had to get out quick. I had been sitting in there for over an hour. As I mentioned before, I've never been in May and maybe it's not like that at other times of the year. Maybe they really were having a/c problems?? I don't know, but as I said the staff were sweating.
Royal Suite guests are deffinetly given preferential treatment. They will be given rides before the lowly Kantenah guests, they will be served sandwiches on the beach, (those are not for Kantenah guests) they will get the better alcohol- "yes mam, we do have that kind of tequilla but it is only for the Royal Suite guests", " no only our Royal Suites guest can have a bottle of beer, yours will be in a plasic cup"............... if you can't beat them join them. We made friends with a wonderful couple who were staying at the Royal Suites, voilla, they kindly gave us bottles of SOL and sandwiches. We didn't make friends with them because the were from the Royal Suites, that part was a bonus. =)
If you're looking for a beautiful location with an amazing beach and you want to snorkel and relax, you'll enjoy this resort. For any further tips on what to see or do here, feel free to private message me on trip advisor. Adios -

Room Tip: It depends on if you want to be close to the beach or a lobby.
5 Thank Tammy S
Dear Tammy S,

Thank you for your extense review. This information help us for improve our service every day. Each comment, positive or negative, it's very important for us.

Please, if you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Enfield, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

My husband and I spent 2 weeks (April 6 thru 20) at the GP Resort, had booked a room at Kantenah, however they moved us into a Suite on the Colonial side - .not a problem. This was our 3rd time to this resort and while it was all very familiar, it was still very nice. Rooms were very clean and well maintained; the staff were excellent; food was amazing. Customer service was great all around - cleaners / bartenders / wait staff, all very friendly and always with a smile. It's great to talk to some of the bartenders and wait staff as when they are not busy you have some time to learn a bit of Spanish or Maya, while teaching them some English; makes for a great experience. There was always a spot at the beach, and while some people feel they need to put towels down to reserve chairs on the beach, there is really no need. In any of our 3 visits, we had never had a problem finding a nice spot on the beach (whether in full sun, or with a palapa for shade or sun); and no problems finding a spot at one of the pools. The Spa is just wonderful and such a quiet place for a relaxing swim. We had also taken the Collectivo into Playa del Carmen twice (this trip); and did not encounter any problems whatsoever. Would highly recommend this resort and we shall return some day...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine D
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Dear Christine D,

Thank you for your good comments. I appreciate so much your time.

Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

Another wonderful week at GP Kantenah... our third visit, and we'll definitely be back for more! we have stayed at other resorts, and always seem to come back here.

The resort is spotlessly clean--I swear more than half the staff are there just to clean. We booked a Mayan suite in Bldg 35, second floor, which had a lovely breeze off the ocean. Slept or read in the hammock on our porch in the afternoons when it was too hot to be by the pool, and often opted to be on a lounge chair at the spa, which was a very lovely, quiet spot. I did book a deep tissue massage with Celia, which was wonderful. We even were surprised with an upgraded room for our son, because we were repeat guests! Very nice to have him located in a builder closer to ours.

Since we were there at a relatively quiet time, all of the a la carte restaurants were available for us to try. But, after eating at the El Dorado steakhouse and the Japanese restaurant, we opted to eat various buffets for the rest of the week--no waiting and more options. The food was varied and delicious, and available 24/7, which appealed to our 21-year-old son.

My ONLY complaint, and it is a minor one, is that the bed was very hard, which is not to my taste. My husband, however, found it comfortable... so I can't really say it detracted from our experience very much.

The staff were friendly, accommodating and made our week a very pleasant experience. The few glitches we encountered (non-working telephones, internet connectivity problems) were handled expeditiously.

We will most definitely be back! Thank you for a great vacation!!

Room Tip: If you book a Mayan Suite, second floor oceanside gets a wonderful breeze off the ocean!
7 Thank Nancy Z
Dear Nancy Z,

I appreciate your time and your good comments.

If we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Palladium Kantenah for 2 weeks in July 2011 for our honeymoon. We were upgraded to a junior suite (Room 5109 in Villa 51) because it was our honeymoon which was great. Also room was in a great location close to the walkways leading to the beach and the lovely El Rinconcito pool which we swam and sunbathed at for the whole holiday because we found the main pools too big, busy and noisy for our liking. We were blown away by the natural beauty of the resort and the wonderful wildlife all around us. We have never been to such a big resort before and we were a little intimidated by the sheer size of it but we soon got used to it although we did get lost a few times because everywhere looks the same but there are maps dotted around to help guide you. We found the little train and golf carts really handy to get around the resort especially in the heat because some things are quite a long walk away. We were impressed with all the restaurants and the food. The buffet restaurants always had a great selection and we never struggled to find something to our taste. We loved the fact that we could use the a la carte restaurants as much as we liked and our favourite a la carte restaurants were the steak house, Chinese and Japanese/tepanyaki restaurants. There were a variety of bars to chose from but we normally stuck to the kantenah lobby bar. Our only gripe was that the staff could have been friendlier and there was very little to do in the evenings, the bars were empty at night with no atmosphere and the only entertainment seemed to be the live shows which aren't really our cup of tea.

Overall we had a wonderful holiday and would stay at a Grand Palladium resort again. We wouldn't return to this resort or indeed Mexico because we like to see lots of different places but we would definitely recommend it to our friends and family.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NatalieDonnan
Dear NatalieDonnan,

I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your honeymoon in the Grand Palladium.

TRURO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

Stayed at the Palladium from April 20 to the 27.Let me tell you we had a fantastic time.This was our first time to Mexico and we were not disappointed.I booked Agi tour company to pick us up and boy were we ever impressed.So very professional.We will be using them next year.
The resort is stunning.I thought the Cuban people were wonderful but the Mexican people go above and beyond.
The food was amazing as well as the drinks!! We travelled with two other couples and we all said that we would be back next year.
Now that I know the layout of the resort I am going to request villa 36.Is's right on the beach.A special thank you goes to Eduardo!What an amazing man.Anytime we needed a drive he was there for us.
To the entire staff Thank you very much!!
See you all next April!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank breton99
Thank you breton99 for taking time to share with us you feedback about your vacation in Grand Palladium.

If we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.