“8th trip to Palladium and it gets better every time!”

Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
california
“8th trip to Palladium and it gets better every time!”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We returned June 1 from our 8th trip to the Palladium. We have stayed at the Colonial, White Sands and this time at the Kantenah. All locations have their advantages but we really liked the beach location of our Mayan suite in villa 33 this year. We had booked a junior suite and were happy to be upgraded to the newly updated Mayan suite. One note, the front glass door automatically locks so if you step out on the deck to say, see the lightening and a gust of wind comes up, you will be locked out. This happened to us even though I had read about it and all but that once had a room key with me. Hubby took a jog to reception in his underwear to get a new key. Our neighbors had the same thing happen so it is not uncommon.

The rooms are just beautiful and we had no problems with the air conditioning. It ran all night and I was able to charge stuff all night as well. We liked the location near our favorite part of the beach but honestly, you don’t spend much time in it. We did receive a fruit basket and bottle of champagne for our anniversary which was lovely. Room was cleaned promptly every day, drinks restocked and not a thing to complain about.

The food has gotten better every year! We had the best steaks of our life at the El Dorado. Great shrimp at Portofino, ribs and steak at Ribs and More, flank steak and shrimp at the Mexican place and best atmosphere at outside tables at the Mediterranean and Japanese places. For our last night the 4 of us took a vote on which a la carte to repeat and we had 3 different votes. Finally we agreed on the Mexican because besides great food they had the best margaritas and nachos.

Breakfast and lunch buffets were always hot and tasty. At lunch we usually had a grilled to order selection and I loved the grouper. Salads were always fresh and the food hot. Churros were out at breakfast every morning and they had a made to order pancake station this year as well.

Champagne was GREAT this year. It was almost always nicely chilled and a nice quality. Much better than prior years. They did even have it available down at the beach bar for sunrise. Not quite the same in plastic glasses so bring your bubbas to keep it chilled and your travel wine glasses for atmosphere.

The drinks were very good and they made banana mammas with fresh bananas. Beer was cold. We spent more time at Hemingway’s this year and had Drambuie, Baileys and some other top shelf drinks. In prior years the place would be empty every night but not this year. This is a great place for a nightcap.

The grounds are in great shape. Maintenance was being down on some of the walkways and they all felt safe. The only real problem is that guests are feeding the Cootamundra’s (those furry, redish brown, long nosed animals) leaving the colonial pool heading to the beach and this may become a problem. Some guests were trying to pet them!

Now for the weather. It did rain one morning fairly hard and steady (thunder and lightning too) but we ran (after lightening passed) out to the salt water pool and hung out in one of the covered day beds for several hours. It was a little damp but not cold at all. We had our books and enjoyed the people watching as the rain stopped. It also rained some at night and once while at breakfast. The ocean was a little rougher than in past years and there was some coral fragments/rocks getting in the ocean on some of the beach front. We didn’t go in as much this year but only because I was recovering from foot surgery.

We convinced friends to go with us this year and they were very impressed. They asked why anyone would go to Hawaii. We travel from California and this year we were able to get a nonstop flight which helps. The Cancun airport arrival is still a pain but doable. The road trip to the Palladium has actually gotten shorter (new overpasses through Playa) and checking back into the airport was a breeze.

In conclusion, we LOVE the Palladium and it gets better every year. We’ll be back!

Room Tip: 3307 was Mayan suite, upstairs, ocean front and very private but really couldn't see the ocean d...
8 Thank wildlifepainter
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear wildlifepainter,

I would like to give you thank you for your time and for your complete review. I appreciate your good comments and please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you in the future.

Thank you for your confidence.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
ashford
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Just got back after two weeks and a fine break indeed. Like many I had done some basic research of the resort and area as well as having read reviews so in relative order.
The check in was fine and smooth and friendly and for us quick to the room. The room (Kantenah, Villa 44, 3rd floor) was smart enough and everything worked well with a mini-bar (re-stocked every day). I took a pillow due to reviews but for me didn't need it, and the beds were good after a day to power down.
The Resort is large...not sure why anyone would find this a surprise, it's not like its a secret! We got to grips with it quick enough and loved the variety of lobbies, bars, restaurants and buffets. There was transport that was available but we mostly traversed through the resort and thankfully an active group who don't mind the exercise. I would think it's not for those who prefer a more closed net resort but again you really shouldn't be turning up here a being stumped. We loved the size of the place. The beach was a great stretch and we found plenty of parts great to dive in and cool off. The pool areas are plenty here, always found a seat for the four of us and a lovely setting. There are quieter parts and livelier parts so you can find what you are in the mood for. The entertainment team do a great job and we took part in dancing/stretching/pool aerobics/darts tournaments etc etc. Seemed to be something for everyone should they want to get involved. The shows were varied and plenty of them and watched a few. For a resort we thought they were good fun and well worth taking time out to see at least a couple. We went to the disco one night, but was pretty quite, never mind we took to a spot of grooving and was enjoying it none the less. I totally agree about how the team there keep the place spotless throughout. The service is great here..well was for us. No matter what the lobby, every time we took a seat one of the team would be over and take drink orders and keep coming back, really good. Yvonne was especially good! Almost everyone we spoke to gave a greeting no matter what there roles were..I think if you emit a good attitude you will get it back in spades. We also choose the resort to be able to do things in the area..speed boats, Chit-in-it-sa, X-plor, Coco-Bongos, Playa and so forth. We loved the excursions and really glad we did a few. And then theres the food...well everyones an individual, what we like and don't like would not reflect some one else so. Lots of variance in buffets..and we always, every single time were offered a coffee! The A La carts, we tried mostly all, some real hits for us, some not, but it was an experience to try them all. Enjoy doing the same and you will find your favorites and your not so favorites, like a high street not every place you go to will blow your socks off just go with an open mind. Overall we would certainly return, however so many places to see before we do! But this place is a great advertisement for other Palladium's so the team should be very proud of what they have accomplished and our thanks for making a holiday great! We miss it already.

3 Thank mark b
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear mark b,

Thank you for your comments and we appreciate your time.

If we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Have no idea how any one can give this resort a bad review ( though cant comment on slow check in or incorrect room allocation as we had no problems ).
The location was excellent , handy for Akumal , Playa del Carmen, Tulum and Puerto Adventuras , the beach gorgeous and long enough for a serious walk , pools fantastic with whirl pools and fountains within and built in loungers which were great for reading a book on . The water was both deep or shallow depending on which section you were in and shallow enough at the swim up bar for the kids to get a drink safely. The salt water pool was very nice with a lovely scenic coastal walk along to it from each direction. There was never a problem getting 3 loungers together at the pool or beach.The walkways were beautiful with flamingoes , koi and even crocodiles along the way. Food was always good and if theres nothing on the buffet to your liking then you can go to the a la cartes as often as you like without a reservation. The buffet menu for the evening ahead was displayed in English outside so you had plenty of time to decide. The salad etc was washed in purified water and safe to eat. The fresh made crepes were so good !We never had a problem getting drinks at any of the bars and the alcohol content seemed pretty high and not watered down . The kids could get ice cream and ice lollies all day long .The entertainment was pretty good too , not always the most exciting I have seen but the ballet team were fantastic. Our room was spacious and when we let reception know that our iron didn't work it was replaced right away. The mini bar for 3 of us had 4 bottles of water , 4 of soda and 4 beers every day . We played mini golf, pool and table tennis and never had to queue.
The staff were friendly and helpful and I have never seen a place being cleaned so much . They were constantly cleaning the pool and there was never any scum in it . What else can I say? Had a fab time with our 7 yr old son and got great value for money . Fantastic resort.

10 Thank jo d
Dear jo d,

Thank you for your good comments. I am glad to know that you have had a nice time with your family here.

london
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Where do I start I booked this. hotel 9months before we were going and requested a low floor with king bed as it was our 1st anniversary .(we were here for honeymoon last year) when we arrived we were given room key to a top floor I explained I requested low floor 9 months ago because I have severe asthma and can't climb stairs in that heat and humidity after a long wait which was lovely after a 10 and half hour flight and hour and half transfer ,,, we were then given key to ground floor but with twin beds I was so tired I just needed to shower and rest so we took room they didn't have any other rooms available anyway .I said I wanted a room with a king bed after 4 days they then said they had one available ground floor king bed ( great) so we packed up checked out at eleven told we had to check in again at three which we did got to room guess what it was a no smoking room and was infested with mozzies so back to reception to contain they sent so.done over to fumigate it .... by now I had given up the idea I may have got what I booked I.e king bed ground floor smoking room and just made the best of it apart from all that hassle I love this place and will be going back as I am a club member I am hoping the manager of club can do better for me next year with regards of getting what we booked as I say this is only thing which wad wrong with this resort food good drink good staff work hard pools clean

2 Thank lindarose22
Dear lindarose22,

I would like to offer you our apologies for the inconveniences that you have had during your vacation.

All request are subject to the availability of the resort.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us...we will try to do our best effort for check a good option for you.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We stayed at the GP Kantenah from May 18 to 26. We are Travel club members and this is our second time in the GP. We were a group of 4 adults and 2 kids.

What we liked:

- Private Transport to the Hotel, fruit basket, cheese platter, Tequila and Champagne in the room upon arrival.
- The food at the buffet and all the restaurants: Great variety and good quality, you will always find something you like.
- The site is well kept and the wild life very interesting.
- The cleanliness of the room (and the very quick answer of maintenance team to fix the AC in the room.
- The beach (even though it was very windy everyday)
- The main pool was better kept than the one in GP Jamaica.
- El Rinconcito pool: closer to our villa and a good place to relax at the end of the day
- The bell boys: They are very friendly and helpful especially Roman.
- The snorkeling is good (if you can find the right spot)
- The entertainment during the day and at night.
- The Spa: very relaxing
- Scuba diving team at the dive center is amazing !

What should be improved:

- There is no “Members Only Section” on the Beach of the Kantenah (Like the one in GP Jamaica) so you need to get up early and “reserve” your chairs like everybody else. Other reviewers mentioned that there is plenty of shade on the beach, this is true BUT if you are looking for a spot not very far from the beach bar and close the only small section of the beach were you can walk in the water without wearing beach shoes (most part of the beach is rocky) then you better get up early because all those spots are taken by 8 AM.

- Most of the workers at the reception seem to lack the "extra mile" factor and were not as friendly as the ones we met in Jamaica. Although they were helpful, they never smiled and gave the impression to be annoyed.

- Workers at the restaurant were nice and friendly but very slow to answer requests for kid’s high chairs, when we walk in the restaurant we would ask for high chairs, they would tell us they are available and it would take at least 15 min to come and sometimes we had to ask again because they seemed to forget. In the GP Jamaica they had the high chairs at the entrance of the buffet so it was easy to grab one while going to be seated.

- Restaurant reservation system seemed to be very complicated and hectic. It works only during certain times of the day (I think between 9 AM and 3 PM) so you have to make your reservation in that time frame which is very annoying because we were at the beach during that period of the day. On our first day, we arrived at the hotel around 2PM and were told by the travel club representative that is was too late to reserve a restaurant for the same night because “The system” was closed!! We also had issues with changing reservations as they made mistakes on the date of the Japanese restaurant. I think that they need to put in place a more flexible and simpler system for restaurant reservation.

Things to know:
- The main pool on the Kantenah side is deep (5.3ft everywhere) average people cannot walk so if you don’t know how to swim, it’s better to go to the pool on the White Sand side which was less busy when we were there.

- This resort is HUGE, so you need to either walk A LOT or rely on the transport.

Overall we had a good time at the GP Riviera Maya and we will be back!

Room Tip: Kantenah villas 50 and 51 are the best located to get to the beach/restaurant/lobby.
1 Thank zabanostra2
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Dear zabanostra2,

I would like to give you thank you for share with us your opinion. I will take nota about your observations and I will share this information with the rest of the team.
This informacion is helpful for improve our work and our facilities.

Bound Brook, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2013

After reviewing all the reviews we decided to book this resort for our yearly vacation. Upon arrival we were greeted by the welcoming drinks (which was nice), Went to check in and bam!!! such horrible experience... the reps name is ARELY a female..really unpleasant, no smile, and thinks that she is above all. We booked for a Mayan suite in the Kantenah resort which was not what we got, instead we were thrown over to the Colonial resort. No explanation was given to us, we had to ask. Its almost like trying to get answers out of a five year old kid. Didn't even offer us to change over to Kantenah the next day when the room is made available and yes we had to ask for this as well. Not one bit satisfied with their customer service at all. To sum up the front desk experience, Arely should not be dealing with customers and this is by far the worst customer service experience I have ever faced. next day found the rep for funjet and spoke to him of the poor experience we had to deal with, he assured us he would speak to the manager and make sure that something was done and that we would be taken care of. Again do not be so gullible and believe what people tell you. Went to the new room and the only thing we were given to show any sign of apology was a fruit basket... what a joke!!!! Room in the Kantenah resort was really nice... I will give them that much but as for the rest of the stay there ...sigh....I would definitely not return to this resort ever again.... Barceló we are coming back!!!!!!!... and yes to the manager to Grand Palladium you have no one but Arely to thank for because she was the cause of the terrible experience we had at your resort.

12 Thank Maryann C
Dear Maryann C.

I would like to offer you our apologies for any incident that you have had during your vacation. I will take note about your comments and I will check this with the Front Desk Manager.
We try to help our guest in every moment or with any situation. I am sorry to know that in this case was no possible.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My husband and I were very pleased with the whole resort (second time for my husband and first for me). We had excellent service from the moment we arrived throughout the whole week.

Our room in the Kantenah section was just perfect, clean and quiet. Although, next time I will ask for a room on the second floor so I can hang my diving gear outside to dry. We did not ask for anything specific when we booked. Apart from that, which was our fault, we were very satisfied with the room.

I'm not a buffet fan, but my husband liked it and I thought there was enough variety of food for my taste. We enjoyed most of the restaurants 'à la carte' we've been to. My favorite was Sumptuori (japanese). You absolutely have to try the fried ice-cream dessert. The tempura might not be what you're used to in your own country, but it's still good. The one I liked the least was La Adelita (mexican), which I thought was surprising considering we were in Mexico (oh and I love mexican food in general).
SO, food is NOT 5 star gastronomy, BUT it is very good.

The resort in general was pleasant for us. We LOVED the fact that we were pretty much in the jungle. Keep in mind that we are not the type of people that do not walk. We never took any transportation to get around the resort. There are multiple paths to get to many places and I thought it was well done.
We sometimes had the company of coatis, agoutis, raccoons, cats, bats (only at dusk) and MOST of the time iguanas. Absolutely loved that.
We did not take part in the resort activities since we were out 4 days out of 6 scuba diving and snorkling with whale sharks. The last 2 days were spent on the beach reading or/and snorkling.

WHAT WE LOVED: Friendly staff. Good food. Jungle-ish resort with animals. Nice looking and clean room. Rocky beach for the most part of it. SPA is nicely designed (I got my braids done there, very nice, though I wish I could speak spanish since the girl who took care of me could not speak english or french.)

TIPS: People tend to leave their stuff on the beach chairs to go eat. So I suggest you go get your spot early if you want to have a place with shades. Restaurants get really busy after 7, so it might be a good idea to eat early if you do not want to wait an hour to get in.

WHAT I REGRET: not speaking spanish! Next time I go there I promised myself I would! I would have liked to be able to connect more with all the staff (english speaking or not).

I DEFINITELY recommend this resort^^

6 Thank Veronyck
Dear Veronyck,

I appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking time to share with us and other readers your opinion.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,353 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!