We returned June 1 from our 8th trip to the Palladium. We have stayed at the Colonial, White Sands and this time at the Kantenah. All locations have their advantages but we really liked the beach location of our Mayan suite in villa 33 this year. We had booked a junior suite and were happy to be upgraded to the newly updated Mayan suite. One note, the front glass door automatically locks so if you step out on the deck to say, see the lightening and a gust of wind comes up, you will be locked out. This happened to us even though I had read about it and all but that once had a room key with me. Hubby took a jog to reception in his underwear to get a new key. Our neighbors had the same thing happen so it is not uncommon.
The rooms are just beautiful and we had no problems with the air conditioning. It ran all night and I was able to charge stuff all night as well. We liked the location near our favorite part of the beach but honestly, you don’t spend much time in it. We did receive a fruit basket and bottle of champagne for our anniversary which was lovely. Room was cleaned promptly every day, drinks restocked and not a thing to complain about.
The food has gotten better every year! We had the best steaks of our life at the El Dorado. Great shrimp at Portofino, ribs and steak at Ribs and More, flank steak and shrimp at the Mexican place and best atmosphere at outside tables at the Mediterranean and Japanese places. For our last night the 4 of us took a vote on which a la carte to repeat and we had 3 different votes. Finally we agreed on the Mexican because besides great food they had the best margaritas and nachos.
Breakfast and lunch buffets were always hot and tasty. At lunch we usually had a grilled to order selection and I loved the grouper. Salads were always fresh and the food hot. Churros were out at breakfast every morning and they had a made to order pancake station this year as well.
Champagne was GREAT this year. It was almost always nicely chilled and a nice quality. Much better than prior years. They did even have it available down at the beach bar for sunrise. Not quite the same in plastic glasses so bring your bubbas to keep it chilled and your travel wine glasses for atmosphere.
The drinks were very good and they made banana mammas with fresh bananas. Beer was cold. We spent more time at Hemingway’s this year and had Drambuie, Baileys and some other top shelf drinks. In prior years the place would be empty every night but not this year. This is a great place for a nightcap.
The grounds are in great shape. Maintenance was being down on some of the walkways and they all felt safe. The only real problem is that guests are feeding the Cootamundra’s (those furry, redish brown, long nosed animals) leaving the colonial pool heading to the beach and this may become a problem. Some guests were trying to pet them!
Now for the weather. It did rain one morning fairly hard and steady (thunder and lightning too) but we ran (after lightening passed) out to the salt water pool and hung out in one of the covered day beds for several hours. It was a little damp but not cold at all. We had our books and enjoyed the people watching as the rain stopped. It also rained some at night and once while at breakfast. The ocean was a little rougher than in past years and there was some coral fragments/rocks getting in the ocean on some of the beach front. We didn’t go in as much this year but only because I was recovering from foot surgery.
We convinced friends to go with us this year and they were very impressed. They asked why anyone would go to Hawaii. We travel from California and this year we were able to get a nonstop flight which helps. The Cancun airport arrival is still a pain but doable. The road trip to the Palladium has actually gotten shorter (new overpasses through Playa) and checking back into the airport was a breeze.
In conclusion, we LOVE the Palladium and it gets better every year. We’ll be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium Kantenah are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, with the exception of the Royal Suite facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotelopia, Southall Travel, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kantenah Palladium Grand
- Grand Palladium Kantenah Hotel
- Palladium Mexico
- Palladium Grand Resort
- Hotel Grand Palladium Kantenah
- Palladium Kantenah
- Grand Maya Palladium Riviera
- Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort Spa
- g Palladium Kantenah
- Grand Palladium Mayan