“Another great time #8”

Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Another great time was had. Weather cooperated till Thursday evening the day before our early Friday departure. We were upgraded to suites even though the other 2 people with me were there for their first time. Sweet! Considering I love the Palladium these comments are from the two guest who were there for the first time. Both my brother and my sister in law want to return next year. They both loved the staff (all) the staff from entertainers to food service, bartenders as well as cleaning staff and maintenance people. They love that everyone said hola ! They liked the food, enjoyed the shows and had a lot of fun with the entertainment staff. Because of the limited mobility of my sister in law we did not walk around much but my brother did and really enjoyed seeing the property and what it had to offer. The cart drivers would give us a lift to our rooms when they could knowing about my sister in laws mobility. Everyone was very helpful. Would they return? Yes in a flash. For those of you (staff) who read this, Theresa (Teresita) says thanks for everything.

Room Tip: As far as I am concerned any room in the Kantenah is a great room. Weather it is a suite or not.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Randy7
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Randy7,

Thank you for your good comments and for your time.

With best regards,

There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Came here last Christmas and new year,it was really great,sharnt be there this year cus its gone up to five grand so we are over there in February for two weeks,in for a great time with the yanks,hope you put us on a high floor again level with the tree tops,

Room Tip: Go high as you can always someone scrapping the chair cross the floor or noisey people who can't...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank patriciaharris

Dear patriciaharris,

Thank you for your comments and for your confidence.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed here for 14 nights with my husband Sep 2013. Booked Colonial, allocated Kantenah would have been happy in any of the four sections (White Sand/Riviera) as this is really one large hotel and you can use any of the facilities without restriction.
Didn't get off to a great start when we put the key in the room door and there was already another couple in the room on the bed!!! Whilst it was a trek back to reception we were swiftly given another room and upgraded to a junior suite.
Positives:
Junior suite large, modern, massive bed and mini bar stocked daily.
Huge hotel which means you can eat a la carte every night if you wish - no booking required and no wait for us was longer than one hour although we did eat around 7.30 to ensure we had no long waits.
In general the a la carte's were of good quality our favourites being The Italian, Steak House, Ribs and More and The Mediterranean.
Adult only pools excellent in particular La Isla, bar man came around as a minimum every hour and delivered our drinks to our sun loungers which were cushioned here.
Use of any available restaurant for breakfast and lunch meant whilst we were staying at the livelier Kantenah/Colonial side we used to get the train over to White Sand in the morning for a more relaxed start to the day. Service and choice seemed slightly better here.
Hemmingway's bar - the air conditioning was a blessing and if you asked for a branded spirit there was loads of choice including Baileys, Amaretto di Sarrono, Johnnie Walker, Jack Daniels etc. All included within the AI. Barmen were excellent in here and relaxed atmosphere.
Spa, believe there will be a charge for entry from November, unless a treatment is booked. We had free access to sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, plunge pool etc. We also asked if there were any discounts for a couples massage and the reception offered us 90 mins for £100 and massage was excellent.
Negatives
Our cleaner wasn't the best -whilst the room was clean, the floor was not always cleaned and whilst we tipped each day we received no towel art which other friends we made had.
Beach - we like 2 sun loungers under a parasol with plenty of space around and clear pebble free sea. Entry to sea difficult due to pebbles and sun loungers were in long lines with no space to move in and out of shade. That said La Isla made up for this.
We booked an evening meal at Punta Emelia and whilst the food was delicious we were distracted to the point where my husband would not return by a few racoons which kept coming up to our table and putting their paws on it to try and take bread etc. Racoons and birds were also an issue at the pool buffet restaurants and some netting may address this.
Majority of a la carte restaurant did not offer a hot starter other than soup instead there was a salad bar to help yourself to, which felt like a return to the lunchtime buffet. Some restaurants did offer nice touches like warm nachos with salsa at the Mexican and the starters were also good at Ribs and More and the Asian restaurant from memory.
We didn't book any trips with TUI but independently took the collectivo and then ferry over to Cozumel to visit our favourite restaurant there, Casa Denis, which we discovered on a previous holiday. We also got the collectivo to Tulum one morning and whilst I would recommend visiting be prepared for the heat! We then got the collectivo back via Akumal and hired life jackets and flippers and swam with turtles and fish before a really nice meal at a restaurant on the beach front - again would recommend.
Finally a note for the Brits - Dreamliner standard class a step-up from the usual TUI/Thomas Cook flight albeit in-flight meals do get worse every time we travel! Lindsay the Rep was fine she was approachable and friendly and when our fridge didn't work on arrival she managed to sort it out for us where I had not been able to myself despite my fluent Spanish.
There's something for everyone here and if you don't like one particular pool, bar, restaurant you can always find an acceptable alternative.
I wouldn't rush back as there are plenty of other parts of the world to see but if the price and timing were right I would return.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank fiesta99

Dear fiesta99,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments. I appreciate your time.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We LOVE the Kantenah! The beach is awesome, one can walk out a long way before the water gets too deep (great for a non-swimmer like me). The people, food, weather are terrific (as other reviews have stated). We have been to other resorts in Mexico and this one is tops. Can't wait until January, we are extending our vacation to 18 days!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Shirley B
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you Shirley B.

We appreciate to know that you have had a great vacation with us.

With best regards,

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We had this summer our vacation in Mexico, Palladium Kantenah resort and it was great. The room dining service everything was as it should be. We had nice trips to Akumal, isla mujeres, Chichen Itza, Tulum,...
The people are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Take a junior suite
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ejaaz2013
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear ejaaz2013,

Thank you for your good comments and for your time.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Wow! What can I say that hasn't been said about this amazing resort.
Firstly if you are lucky enough and come in a quieter you may be ungraded to the next level of room. We were so fortunate to be changed to a junior suite. The rooms are beautiful and honestly I cant see what else you need in a room. A huge bed, a place to sit, a tv, ipod dock. Mini fridge topped up every day. four beers, 2 coke, 2 fizzy orange, sprite and bottles of water, Nice big bathroom with a Jacuzzi bath.
The resort -HUGE!! If your looking for a resort that embraces its natural surroundings then the Palladium is for you. Plenty of wildlife to see. Huge Iguanas, little geckos, raccoons, coatis, agouti (guinea pigs in high heals), gorgeous butterflies and some pretty amazing birds. As well as the hotels resident crocodiles and flamingos.
There is plenty to do on resort and the entertainment do a fantastic job with the many activities offered, but don't worry they don't pester you to join in. These are mainly based around the two huge main pools complete with swim up bars and sunking chairs.
The beach runs along the complete resort and although in some places its a little rocky you can get some pretty good snorkelling without leaving your resort and can borrow snorkel gear for free. Some great places to watch the sunrise - please please do this its absolutely amazing I have never seen anything so beautiful.
The hotel is split in to four smaller parts each with its own lobby decorated differently. Kantenah and Riviera are the quieter ones and a great place for a cocktail before dinner. Colonial and white sands are busier not really sure why either. Plenty of transport to get around the resort if you don't want to walk. A little train goes lobby to lobby and then a buggy can take you round the villas and if you ask nicely they will sent one especially for you (handy if you have a child or get a rainstorm).
So many restaurants to choice from our favourites where sumptori (Japanese) (have to book, try getting the show cooking table),Rodizio (brazillian) and ribs and more. Our least favourite was Punta Emilla which you also have to book. Try them all you wont be sorry but a note on the buffets. Never been to a buffet so good as these, different ones you can try over the resorts and each night they put on a theme and decorate it accordingly. 24 hour snack bars located near the beach.
Lovely spa was great just to relax and be with my other half. Excellent facilities absolutely beautiful.
The resort is made up of paths and wooden bridges - word of caution of it rain be careful as they can be slippy and uneven but loved them.
Cannot recommend the resort highly enough the staff were friendly and could never do to much for you, special mention to Sergio in Kantenah buffet, he makes the best Panini's for breakfast!!
I can understand why people would choice to come back repeatedly to this resort, its perfect!!
I cant for the life of me understand what people have to complain about, the resort is clean, tidy, plenty of food, plenty of drinks, plenty of activities. Think people need to realise that these people are not servants and you should be polite and get your own mimosa!! The buffet is called a buffet for a reason!!! Rude people who think they are better than others get on my nerves, unfortunately you get them everywhere.
Don't hesitate to visit this resort!!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
15  Thank sweetashoney81
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear sweetashoney81,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments.

If we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Loved it! We travelled with our friends, another couple and it was an excellent holiday.

We flew out on the Thomson Dreamliner which was a great flight on the way out. Note so good on the return due to a delay for 4hrs on the plane.

Our transfer to the hotel took quite a while. I think we left the airport around 3pm and arrived at the hotel at 5pm. The check in was quite quick and we were both very lucky to receive a room upgrade to a Junior Suite on the Kantenah side after emailing the hotel in advance to request for block 51.

Great room, very large, huge TV and lovely bathroom. We were on the ground floor but we found that this did not cause too many problems for bugs. We stayed for 2 weeks and probably only had to clear 3 or 4 small insects from the bathroom as they came under the front door. If you get a ground floor then I would probably just put a towel down by the door at night but I didn't bother us too much. The room was in very close proximity to the beach and at the quiet end of the beach near the wedding pagoda which we preferred. Reception took about 5 minutes to walk to across the wooden bridges and if we went further through the hotel we just caught the train at reception or a buggy on our way.

Restaurants:
Steak house, we visited twice. The menu choice was actually very good and even included T-Bone steak and Rib eye. I must say that the first time I would rate my steaks one of the best I have ever had and I am very fussy with having the perfect steak. Best service in the whole hotel here as the waiters re-fill your drinks before you have finished the last one and offer you plenty of attention.
Japanese restaurant, we visited this restaurant three times, once for the Tepenyaki show cooking and then again twice off the normal menu. This was my favourite restaurant as the show cooking was brilliant and lovely food and the normal menu was great. You get a starter, a plate of Sushi and we ordered Sashimi as well, then the main! You do need to book the Show cooking the day before.
Italian was my least favourite as I ordered the Ravioli and this was under cooked and my partner ordered Spaghetti & meatballs and one got ONE MEATBALL!!! Yet the 5 year girl on the next table got 3 meatballs, still not good! We then told this to the guy who surveyed us in reception and he didn't really understand what we were talking about so we left it at that.
Seafood restaurant was excellent although you tend to find a lot of Racoons wondering around the tables as you are set up next to the bushes on the beach. You need to get down to reception at 8am the day before you want to go here to book at table. Our friends went down at 08:10 and were only given a choice of 5.30, 7.30 and 10.30 after just 10 mins or being open. Highly recommend the prawns in garlic.
Chinese restaurant pretty much had the same food as the Japanese also with Sushi but a lot quieter.
Brazilian was our friends favourite. Very fun concept, keep your green side up for more food and red when you are finished. They come round with skewers of meat and you just keep eating.
I won't write about the rest as I may start to bore you but they were the main ones that stuck out for us.

The drinks selection was really good and they often were able to make cocktails from home that were not on the menu.

We really liked the sports bar at the Colonial lobby as this had a pool table, table tennis and Foosball. We often went here before going to bed to have a mid night snack of chicken wings or wedges as they served food until 1am.

Entertainment was ok, actually enjoyed the Disney show, this was the adults entertainment but a lot of effort was put in. Thursday's they had the rock show and the same band play the lobby entertainment at the whitesands side. We did this on our last night and were so disappointed we did not watch them the week before.

We only took 2 excursions but both to Akumal beach. The hotel offer this from the beach as an excursion for 40USD pp and then a discount to 35USD pp. We paid £2 each! We walked out of the hotel and straight across the road took the bus to Akumal for 20 Pesos each. 5/10 walk down to the beach. When we arrived we had people coming up to us to book with them. We went to watch the conservation DVD and then were told we definitely need a life jacket and a guide to snorkel with the turtles. We had not taken this much with us so we walked over to the beach and just snorkelled straight off the shore. We must have seen about 10 turtles in about an hour of snorkelling, and we saw the people with the guides swimming in the same area as us so we didn't need one. We also saw 2 sting rays which was excellent. We then went back again a couple of days later and saw even more. Well worth doing!

Overall I found this was a brilliant holiday and I will definitely be returning again some time!

Room Tip: Block 51, Kantenah side in a junior suite was very good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank xxgeexx123

Dear xxgeexx123,

On behalf of the entire team at Grand Palladium, I would like to give you thank you for your time and for your good comments.

Resident Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!