“Nice Family Vacation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, CA
“Nice Family Vacation”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Us: Wife and I in our lower 50's, two boys 16 and 14. Also traveled with two other families with similar demographics.

Airport transport: Airport transfer by USA transfers went well, Friendly driver, nice van.

Check In: Very friendly at check in desk. Got free upgrade to mini suite without asking. Offered drinks and cool wet towels. Got resort overview from customer service rep. I knew a vacation club sale was going to be offered with the overview, we declined the vacation club presentation and was not pressured to attend. Check in could not have gone better.

Room: Third floor (top floor) with Jungle view. Mini bar was stocked daily with water, soda, and beer. TV was not working when we arrived, they fixed it the following day. Very good daily maid service.

Resort:
Very large resort. Cut out of the jungle. The size of the resort would not fit everyone. You will do a lot of walking. We liked the resort size. Lots of wildlife. Daily you see dozens of coatimundi, iguanas, and raccoon.

All employees very friendly.

Best part of the resort is the beach. Very good snorkeling. Snorkeled everyday, saw lots of tropical fish, rays, schools or large jack fish, a barracuda, a large sun fish, and a sea snake. What really makes the beach is that it has lots of shade. You can spend the entire day at the beach without getting burned up.

Snorkeling and fishing at Akumal was awesome. Went fishing through Akuamal Dive shop, caught a barracuda and had 4 other bites (would have probably boated more if we were better fisherman). Another day we rented a locker and snorkel vests through the dive shop. Saw at least 8 very large turtles.

Pools and activity staff looked fun, we used the beach much more.

Restaurants: Ala cartes were very good to excellent. The best being the Japanese show, better than Benihana. Buffets were also very good, lots of choices for everyone. Be sure to visit Hemmingways for premium drinks.

Entertainment was better than expected.

Only Negatives. Electricity went out about 4 time the week we were there (about an hour each time). All of us got some small stomach issues at times (very common in this part of Mexico).

4 Thank BobSanDiego_CA
ColonialKantenah, Director Adjunto / Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hello BobSanDiego_CA,

Thank you for your review of yor vacation with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our Japanese restaurant, pools and friendly service staff.
Our management team has made note of your feeedback as your comments assist us greatly in making improvements.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should we be able to assist you in the future.

Director Adjunto / Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Windsor, Colorado

11 Days, 5 kids ages 6-14, 2 adults, 2 standard rooms in Kantenah Building 47

Let me start off by saying my wife and I are avid travelers and have been to many places consisting of both adults only and family resorts. We have many experiences to draw from so take this review for what it's worth. Feel free to send me a message for further information.

We arrived in Cancun on July 21st and customs/immigration was a nightmare. We have found it to be very hit and miss depending on which day you arrive and what time. We arrived on a Monday at 2:30 pm and it took us an hour to get to a customs agent. The agent processed us fairly quickly and we were off. We had previously arranged for a private transfer through USA Transfers. I will post a separate review for them. We have used USA many times and I can not rave about them enough. I will never use anyone else! No more loading on a big bus and stopping at every resort along the way for us! Especially with 7 of us.

We arrived at Grand Palladium Kantenah and were immediately greeted by staff who were very friendly and eager to help. We were brought welcome drinks immediately and escorted to the front desk for check in. We were very lucky as we were the only ones checking in at the time so everything went very smooth. Staff was also able to accommodate my requests sent via e-mail prior to our arrival. I asked for 2 rooms next to each other either on the 2nd or 3rd floor of building 47 and that is exactly what I got. Thank you Palladium for relieving that stressor for me right away.

After check in we were of course greeted again by another person to go over the "resort information." Being avid travelers to Mexico we knew to get ready for the time share sales pitch. I made it crystal clear up front that the gentleman had 5 minutes to tell us about the resort and we were off to our rooms. The male respected my wishes not to discuss time share and truly provided good information to us regarding the resort. I also think having 5 young children helps because they will not sit through the sales pitch very well.

ROOM:
We were escorted to the bell boy station where we were greeted by friendly staff. We were taken to our rooms with luggage in toe. Our rooms were what we expected. Nothing fancy but much nicer than the Colonial side. We had two standard rooms which worked well for our family. I think they describe the beds as queen size but we beg to differ. They are small. I would say lucky to be full size but probably comparable. We found the beds to be comfortable. The room was clean and had all standard amenities. The mini bar was fully stocked but drinks were not very cold and never really were the entire 11 day stay but this is consistent with everywhere else we have stayed. It helped to leave the cabinet door open so the fridge has some ventilation. Otherwise it is in an enclosed cabinet and gets very hot inside. So, I will address the air conditioning because everyone seems to complain. The a/c works very well. What you need to know is that the power shuts off almost immediately upon leaving the room or when either the front door or patio door is open. So, when you are gone all day the room can get a little warm but only took about 10 minutes or so to cool down once we were back in. Oh, and when I mean the power shuts off, it shuts off. The outlets also shut off so our devices did not charge when we left the room!! You may also want to bring an extension cord with multiple outlets because there were only about 3 plugs in the entire room. The room does have a musty smell but give me a break. You are in the Caribbean. We always bring dryer sheets with us and put them in everything including our suitcases, the drawers, closets, etc. You get the picture. There is not much storage space. They could really use a dresser in the room! One last thing is that the front door does not seal to the floor so there is a gap. So, you can have little visitors coming into your room. We had a few baby iguanas we had to chase out. If you are concerned, place a towel at the foot of the door to keep things out. Lastly, Francesca was our maid and she was awesome. Always greeted us with a smile and a big Hola. She engaged us in conversation every day we saw her. She is very trust worthy and I never was concerned about leaving things out. We even left cash out for her and she did not take it. I had to place the cash on the dirty towels and she finally picked it up. She took very good care of our family and we appreciated her hard work!

POOLS:
Very deep. The main Colonial pool is about 5 feet 3 inches deep. So, with me being 5'8", I could stand flat footed but barely. My wife was on her toes. And the kids were on floaties! The main pool gets pretty busy. This is where all the daily activities happen so if you like someone blowing a whistle all day and loud music this will work for you. We split our time between here and the beach which is right next to this pool so it wasn't bad. The swim up bar is slow but they try their best. Usually only 1 or 2 bartenders working. The crowd can also get a little "spring breakish" which we didn't care for and didn't want our children around. Lots of rude people at this resort who would barge right in regardless of how long you have been waiting. You have to be aggressive everywhere you go to get a drink or food! The kids pool with water slides was great. Our kids had a blast. They don't like adults going down the water slides but we managed to sneak a few runs in. Staff at the pool can be a little rude about it when caught though. Oh well, we had fun and enjoyed ourselves. In the afternoon we always went to a smaller pool adjacent from building 47. It was a great place to get some shade and the bar was never busy. Shout out to Santiago who took care of our family. He is a great man and a very hard worker! We tipped him well because he deserved it and never got annoyed with the kids getting drinks. He also always had a smile on his face! He needs to be recognized by Palladium because he is a model employee!

ACTIVITIES:
Where do I start? There is definitely a ton of things to do. They have all that is advertised but availability is a problem. For instance, they advertise Sun Fish sail boats and have them sitting there but they are not available to use. They say they are "broken". They also had several catamarans but only 3 initially worked and than only 2 because everything else was "broken." They have many kayaks but again about half of them "broken". Same with paddle boats. You get the picture. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I know what we paid and I know what others paid and our 11 days alone could purchase 2 new catamarans. Our friends we met from England would allow Palladium to purchase an entire fleet of catamarans. So, needless to say, they do not take care of the equipment and they certainly do not upgrade equipment on a regular basis!! This is a shame as people book their vacation based on these type of activities. I have a few other gripes about all of this. They system they have is horrible! For one, you can never get any consistent information from employees. Some barely speak any English and just make things up to make you go away. Others don't have a clue about what is going on and frankly seemed lazy and didn't want to work. So, here is the process. You have to reserve the catamarans usually a day in advance unless you get lucky and they have a slot open. Water activities run from 10am to 4 pm which is crazy since it would be nice to Kayak in the morning when it is calm and you can see sea life. You only get to sail or use the kayak, paddle boats for 30 minutes a day unless you have two rooms and you can reserve 2 slots for a total of an hour. We got lucky and were able to do this several days but get your reservation in early! When it is your time to sail, you have to take a photo id and your room key to a different booth where you sign a waiver and they take your id and room key and give you a pass for the catamaran (or kayak, paddle boat, etc.) You take that pass and go back to the original booth and hunt down someone to get the catamaran for you. You give them they pass and off you go. When you return after your 30 minutes you get the catamaran pass back and take it to the original booth to hand in to get your photo id and room key back. Talk about messed up! They take a photo copy of your passport when you check in so I do not see a need to have your photo id with you on the beach. You also wear a bracelet during your entire stay so they know you are from the resort so no need for a room key. This is the first all inclusive I have stayed at that has a process like this. Horrible is all I am going to say!! With all this said, I was lucky enough to get a catamaran almost every day but you have to be on top of things and if someone tells you one thing, check around because you will get a different answer!

BEACH:
Fabulous is all I can say. I am a beach goer and grew up on the beach. We spent a lot of time on the beach. They have different sections. One for snorkeling which was ok. Saw some cool fish and sting ray. One area is a boat channel which you need to stay out of. They have a power boat that comes in and out on a regular basis for day trips. Beware, if you are sailing you need to watch out for the power boat. The driver obviously doesn't know Maritime rules as he was waiving me away when sailboats have the right-a-way to power boats! I had to move so he didn't hit us! Ridiculous. They have a swimming section which had a few bigger rocks but no big deal. You can see them the water is so clear. You can also see a ton of fish. People bring bread out and feed the fish which was a lot of fun. They will swim right up to you. Also, there are sting rays. We swam one night and both my friend and I stepped on a sting ray. They fluttered away and it was no big deal. Just drag your feet as you walk in the sand out into the water.

FOOD:
I will not spend a lot of time on this section since everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Put it this way. We did not starve and always found something for the kids to eat and for us adults to eat. I would stay away from the 24 hour beach buffet. It was disgusting to us. We tried it 2 times and it was horrible. We even ordered from their menu and it was just as bad! Go to the buffet for lunch attached to the swim up bar and pool. You can get pasta every day and other fresh hot items. Breakfast was always good. Dinner buffets were pretty good and 2 of the 3 restaurants were fantastic. We went to Portofino (Italian), the Mediterranean and the Mexican restaurant. We did not care for the Mediterranean but LOVED Portofino and the Mexican!

NIGHT ENTERTAINMENT:
They sure do try. It is no Vegas but they work hard and some of them were entertaining. We really enjoyed the Pirate show. It was probably the best. I would highly recommend going to Hemmingway's at night for a drink. Over 18 only and a/c is very cold. This was a great place for us to get away from the kids and have a drink together. Bring cards if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Overall, we had a great time. There is a ton of room for improvement though and in areas which can very easily be fixed to make this resort even more enjoyable. We would definitely return but normally try a new resort each time we travel so who knows. The resort is huge and it is impossible to enjoy everything in one trip. Take care of staff if they are deserving. One last shout out to Rosario who is a bell man. He was fantastic and catered to us when needed. Take care of him and he will take care of you! Thank you Rosario!

Room Tip: E-mail prior to your trip with room requests. They try very hard to accommodate. I would get a roo...
6 Thank jeff h
Hello jeff h,

Thank you for taking the time to share your details of your family vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed accommodations, beaches and pools.
We will definitely inform our team members whose names you have mentioned regarding your gracious comments.
Our management team has noted your feedback as your comments will assist us greatly in improving our services.
We do look forward to hosting you again in the future, as such kindly contact us prior to your next visit.

Bexley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed at the Grand Palladium for two weeks in June. We were put into the Kantenah which we were thrilled with as it seems much more modern than the Colonial. We were over the moon with our room as we had been upgraded to a Mayan Suite right on the beach. It had an outdoor shower and terrace with hammock and was just so spacious.

The hotel completely exceeded our expectations in all areas. Rooms are lovely and clean, food is amazing, beach is stunning and you don't have to play the sunbed game! There are always sunbeds available which was a first for us.

We spent most days on the beach as it was so much cooler and the pool area always seemed to be crowded which we don't particularly like. The beach was perfect for us and very peaceful with a beach bar still in close reach for drinks and ice cream!

The only thing that let it down slightly was the entertainment - the shows are very professional and it was actually the first holiday where we enjoyed watching the shows. But if you didn't want to watch them there didn't feel like there was much else to do apart from either browse the market stalls or sit in the lobby. It didn't spoil our holiday in any way, we just seemed to be going to bed much earlier than we usually would due to the slight lack of things to do.

Also the restaurants at lunch time were a bit of a joke - so busy with a long queue. Even the beach restaurants were packed. Not a pleasurable experience to be honest so we tended to fill up at breakfast and skip lunch to avoid the lunchtime crowds.

The spa is stunning and well worth a visit, plenty to do there for free even if you're not having a treatment and the pool is beautiful.

The staff are friendly, very helpful and the maid service was spot on - our room was always cleaned to a high standard and the mini fridge always restocked.

What we really liked was the fact that when you're in the hotel you feel like you're completely in paradise and in your own little world but unlike other places we've visited where there isn't much to do outside of the resort, you can easily walk out of the hotel and either get a taxi or the bus into Playa Del Carmen where there are hundreds of shops, bars and restaurants - it's well worth doing one evening if you fancy a break from the hotel and only takes about 30 mins on the bus and very cheap!

All in all we had an amazing holiday and will definitely return - thank you Grand Palladium!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank xgemsx123
Hello xgemsx123,

Thank you for sharing your holiday experience with us.
We are happy you enjoyed our accommodations, relaxing spa and our spectacular beaches.
Our management team has noted your comments as they will aid us in improving our services at the resort.
We look forward to hosting you very soon, as such kindly contact us prior to your next visit.

Enid, Oklahoma
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My wife and I got back last week from this beautiful place. this was our second time on the Riviera Maya and it gets better each time. we got one of the Mayan suites, it was 22 steps to reach the sand and palm trees. the food was great, the only hitch was that the guests from the Royal can make reservations at any of the a la carte restaurants. we got to one of the restaurants at 5:30 when they opened and were told that it would be an hour and a half wait. we were the only people there. we were told the wait would be 90 minutes because the guests from the royal had taken all the tables with reservations. the only restaurant that we were told we had to make reservations was the Japanese grill( which was great by the way, our cook was very skilled). the only suggestion I would make is to highlight the sea turtle sanctuary a little better. we were scolded one night because we had flashlights on the beach. I wish I had read my welcome pack better. it did have a small paragraph on the sea turtles. I guess I glossed over it. It is an interesting and important thing they are doing there and maybe a bolder flier or something. they were actually releasing a baby turtle that night and we were honored to watch the little guy disappear into the waves. Incredible! The resort was incredible. we would love to go back.

3 Thank john f
Hello john f,

Thank you for sharing your holiday experience with us.
We are happy you enjoyed our Japanese restaurant and sea turtle sanctuary.
Our management team has noted your comments so that we can verify your feedback with our team.
We look forward to hosting you in the near future, as such please do not hesitate to contact us.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

An absolutely wonderful place to go, just as a couple, family or with friends! There is so much to do there and all the employees are extremely kind and helpful! All 4 hotels are free to roam within the grand palladium and it's not far from Akumal, Cozumel and Playa! An amazing place, would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: The Kantenah rooms are definitely the best and if you get the bottom floor you're more likely to...
4 Thank Chloe A
ColonialKantenah, Director Adjunto / Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Hello Chloe A,

Thank you for sharing your holiday review with us.
We are happy you had an amazing stay and enjoyed the services of our friendly service staff.
We look forward to your next vacation in the near future.
See you soon.

Aurora, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2014

It was a family trip, we came from Canada with our two sons (16 and 21), stayed at Kantenah in two adjacent rooms (standard) on a week of July 15-22. It was our first time in Mexico.
We had a very good time, enjoed the weather, food and sea - it is gorgeous !
our check-in was very smooth, staff at the reception - professional and helpful. we knew check in is only after 3:pm, so we had lunch first and tosted Mexico with a nice wine !
Rooms:
everything was good, AC worked perfectly in our room, there was an issue with kid's AC, but they fixed it. TV was not working in both rooms, but we did not care at all; we had wi-fi which was good enough, rooms were cleaned nicely every day, towels changed, coolers re-stocked daily
Food:
buffet's food is great, offering everything you look for, we all loved it !
restaurants: our personal preference - Italian(went twice), kids went to Mexican - enjoyed it too, Brazilian is good too. Japanse - ok, stakehouse - nothing exciting ; it's true - rather go to restaurants at White sand area, no waiting, we were seated right away
Sea:
it is beautifull !!! we enjoyed swimming and snorkeling !!!. There are plenty of spots under palm trees to hide from sun if you wish. Bar staff is very friendly !
Excursions
we went to Tulum ruins, we took a bus collectivo (thanks to the tip from tripadvor) - (3 US$), 30 min drive and then a short walk and you are there, admission is about 6US$, whole trip is about half day and it was worth to go.
The only issue (worth to mention) was power outage (it was down for about 2 hours) - unfortunately it happened on my birthday while we were waiting in the restaurant, so we end up going to buffet; staff was acting very well like nothing happend, so it turned out to be a romantic evening. Tip (!)- bring a flash light for this type of occasion. Things like this happen, so no complains there.
Our overall impression is very nice. We came for caribbean-mexican experience and we HAD IT ALL !!! We are definitely gonna come back !

Room Tip: depends on what you are looking for, if closer to beach - 50, 51
7 Thank Eugenia M
Hello Eugenia M,

Thank you for sharing your vacation review with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our beaches and food and beverage options.
Our management team has noted your feedback as they will assist us greatly in improving our services at the resort.
We look forward to hosting you once more, as such please do not hesitate to contact us.

Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

12 of our family and friends stayed there from 4th - 18th July 2014. We all had such a fun time and the restaurant / cleaning & entertainment staff were BRILLIANT. But the front of house team were somewhat lacking ! I lost a mobile phone whilst I was there and although I reported it missing the amount of interest shown was almost non-existent (apart from our holiday rep). I persisted on a daily basis and it didn't seem as though any 'logging' of lost items was in place.
The food was so plentiful and amazingly prepared and presented. The entertainment was first class especially the daily activities (for those with some 'go'). The wi-fi, although free, was erractic and inconsistent and appeared not to be available everywhere. Some of our party had 'funny tummies' ! We were not advised in advance that this may happen and had to ask where to buy re-hydration liquids.

3 Thank Michael S
Hello hurley51,

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you had a fantastic stay with us at the resort.
We have noted your comments as we aim to improve our services continuously.
Please do not hesitate to contact us in the future should we be able to assist you.
We look forward to hosting you once more.

Director Adjunto / Assistant Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#79 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!