“Nice and relaxing.”

Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Denver, Colorado
“Nice and relaxing.”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This was our second visit to the Grand Oasis Tulum and we had a great time. Yes, it is a quiet resort and the staff is more mellow as in Cancun but I think this just ads to the relaxing factor of this hotel. What we liked that this resort is relatively small and not a tourist factory like the resort next to it. I am not sure why people are complaining about the quietness of the resort neither that the staff does not speak English. Hola this is Mexico. Our Ocean front room was nicely decorated and we could walk in and out through the huge window front. Very close to the beach!! We found the food bountiful at the breakfast and lunch buffet and it was nice to sit outside. The waiters were attentive and as soon as they knew what was our favor drink - it came along without asking. We did not care much for the Entertainment as we came here to relax and to enjoy this part of the Riviera Maya. One thing they could improve would be for us to revamp the a la carte restaurants on the Grand side in the evening. They are to dark and missing the twist. The food was sometimes a hit or miss. But overall we loved it and we will be back.

1 Thank Migipin A
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share such kind comments. It is always a pleasure to welcome back previous guests. Our resorts’ concept is to provide our guests with a relaxing experience, in addition to offering an array of activities for those who wish to take part, so it is a pleasure to hear that you had a relaxing time here. Our team likes to provide little touches that make a big difference like knowing what drinks our guests prefer. Nevertheless we thank you for your feedback this is very important to us as it gives us a better insight into where modifications can be made.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I had the Sian Kan Jacuzzi room which was nice, BUT there was never enough hot water to enjoy the tub !!!!! The food and drink were ok, on the Grand side you do get the better alcohol. The beach is nice but not as nice as it is up the road a bit, the service was ok but the atmosphere was not as nice as some simpler places I have stayed at. And unless you are on the bottom floor of the suites the windows do not open to the ocean. All in all it was ok but not worth the money.....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ixtlan06
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our Sian Ka’an Jacuzzi room, and are truly grateful for your feedback as this gives us a greater insight into areas where modifications can be made.
We do hope that you will come and stay with us again soon so we can enhance your overall perception of our resort.

Best wishes
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I just had our DREAM WEDDING at the Grand Oasis Tulum Hotel with 30 Guests. Everything we could have wanted on our Big Day was handled with such care by the Wedding Planner's Maricarmen & Israel, I was left us without a care or concern, which is what ever Bride truly wants! We spent 12 Fabulous days on this resort and feel 100% certain that we made the PERFECT choice!!!

Our Wedding Photos are exactly what we wanted...The location on the Beach was the Perfect for the Ceremony and then to top it off a Cocktail Reception on the Roof over looking the Ocean...Just like I said, DREAM WEDDING!!!

The staff at the hotel were AMAZING and KIND always tending on us and making sure all of our guests were also enjoying their stay. They WOWED our guests, most of the people have said they would stay there again if they travelled back to Mexico.

The rooms of our guests were clean and cozy and our room was a Honeymoon Suite which was unbelievably Beautiful, Clean, Lovely Deco, Jacuzzi, Large Bathroom and Shower.

The food was Delicious...everyday lots of variety and always fresh.

The Hotel is located on a Breathtaking Beach and close to the City of Tulum which was great for shopping.

I honestly only have Great things to say about this Wonderful Resort and I highly recommend it!!!

A Special Thanks to everyone who works there and the Management Team, I was lucky enough to make a note of a few of the Wonderful people we met,
Jose Rogelio Vazquez Roman
Gerardo de Jesus Ayala Roman
Angela de Jesus Uc Ac
Hugo Garcia Rayon
Lucelly Sanchez Sanchez
All of the Entertainment Team but especially Mayra Sanchez

Thanks again Oasis you truly do love your Guests..."Oasis Loves U"

Angela Tucker

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela T
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Angela,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such kind words about your wedding at our resort. We are delighted to hear you had a dream wedding, and are honored that you chose us to be a part of your special day. We know how important the occasion is for the bride and groom and their families, and we always aim to assist as much as we possibly can with every step. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the very near future. If there is anything we can do to make your next visit just as special please do not hesitate to contact us.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Grand Oasis in Dec 2013. I was not impressed. The hotel was beautiful, the drinks were weak, the food, just ok. The best part of our trip was renting a smart car and going to Tulum and sitting on the beach there. For all future trips I will get a less expensive hotel and eat wherever I wish.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank scompers
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. Nonetheless we are pleased to hear you used our Smart car rental to visit our beautiful surroundings. We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future so we can show you the changes we have made at our resort, and enhance your perception of our hotel.

Grand Island, NY
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We recently returned from a few days at Grand Oasis Tulum - what a beautiful resort! The beach was absolutely perfect and the food in the buffet was s-o-o-o-o-o good. Kudos to all the kitchen and serving staff! The front desk and concierge personnel deserve high praises, as well. Did I mention the delicious food??

The only weird thing about our beachfront room was the large window that looked directly into the bathroom from the bedroom. No curtains on either side. Umm - no thanks (seriously)... We ended up piling pillows in front of the window in the interest of modesty. We'd have preferred a good, old-fashioned wall with maybe a nice painting or mosaic on either side :-) The management might consider adding curtains to the bathroom side of the windows to give the occupants a choice as to the degree of "togetherness" they would prefer. Minor point, and we dealt with it, but we'll keep an eye out for it in the future.

I shouldn't admit it, but I brought a packet or two of kibble to entertain the occasional kitty who emerged from the lovely landscaping. It was most appreciated.

Grand Oasis Tulum was the perfect choice for our vacation - we're very glad we chose it.

1 Thank FreshWaterIsland
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your kind comments here on TripAdvisor. It gives us great joy to read that our resort was the perfect choice for your vacation. Regarding our buffet restaurant, lots of care is taken when deciding what food we offer to make sure we cater to our guests’ different tastes. It is therefore a pleasure for us to read that you though the food was so good. Thank you for giving us your feedback concerning the window in your room, we take all guests opinions into account when making changes to our hotel so rest assured these will be passed on to the appropriate department. We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back in the very near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can do anything to help you with your next visit.

Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My wife and I just returned from eight days at Grand Oasis. I'll start with the good stuff: First, this resort is quiet. Blessedly quiet. If you want loud, thumping music, go somewhere else. Second, the personnel were way better than anywhere else I've stayed: friendly, efficient, and gracious enough to put up with my faltering attempts to communicate in Spanish. At the top of the list were Josue and Hippolita (pool bar), Angel, so friendly (buffet), Paola (front desk), Fernando (the Serape), and Victor (front desk). Third, the food was superb--varied, spicy, aromatic, and oh so tasty. If you don't like this food, you've lost your taste buds. (The salsa roja picante was just perfect!) And don't miss the steak house (but you have to pay for your wine there). Fourth, the beach is beautiful, with soft sand and plenty of loungers and tiki huts. Finally, the snorkeling and kayaking were magnificent. The place is just teeming with fish, right off shore. It's best to bring your own gear so you can snorkel when you want to, not when they take out small groups.
There WERE a few problems. Our top-of-the-line room had a gorgeous view, but no balcony and you couldn't open the window. And the bathroom door was transparent. (Why?) We down-graded to a gardenview room that was just fine except that the toilet was, well, ineffective. A very determined and friendly man named Mario came up and improved it, but it still wasn't acceptable, Finally, someone knocked on the door as we were heading to dinner and brought in a whole new toilet! By the time we got back from dinner the problem was solved. Well, almost. There was a slight whiff of sewage in the bathroom, unfortunately. After all this, we decided to just accept it and stay where we were. We spend very little time in our room on these vacations anyway, so this was not a huge deal. I understand why some people would call this a deal-breaker, and I sympathize with that position. But almost everything else was so lovely, we pretty much ignored this issue. Another slight negative was the fitness center. Very little equipment, no treadmill. Not good. Last comes the sales reps. I realize these folks have a job selling you excursions and what-not, and some sounded like good deals. But my wife and I both respond very negatively to aggressive salesmanship, and after two long flights, an hour-and-a-half van drive, getting to the room and unpacking and then FINALLY settling in the lobby bar for a quiet (we hoped) drink, we were almost immediately approached by a sales rep. He was a nice guy, and very informative, but we just wanted to relax and accustom ourselves to our new environment. And he wanted us to give him 90 minutes the next morning for MORE sales talk from his supervisor. Sorry. We wanted to be on the beach the next morning, and that's where we went.
A word about Lomas, the organization behind the trip: Everything they handled was smooth. When we arrived at the airport for the departure, a young man greeted us at the door of the van, whisked us and our luggage to the AirTran counter, and in a matter of minutes we were finished with the whole process. Sorry I didn't get his name, but this was very impressive service.
All in all, a wonderful vacation: tranquility, friendly staff, great food, beautiful beach, endless snorkeling delights. If you go, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Room Tip: If you are nature lovers, bring a pair of binoculars. We saw some dazzling birds, including kiskade...
2 Thank Bugsy7
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank your for sharing your experience of your stay with us. It is great to hear that you and your wife had a lovely time at our resort. We are happy to hear that you appreciated the warm, friendly service our team offer. Our chefs work hard to provide diverse and delicious food to cater to our guests’ wide tastes so we are delighted you thought the food was superb and varied, and that you particularly liked our Brazilian Rodizzio steak restaurant. In regards to the inconvenience you had we offer our sincere apologies and are glad to hear it was dealt with in a timely manner. Rest assured your comments will be passed on to the appropriate departments so they can see where improvements can be made. We hope to welcome you back in the very near future and if there is anything you need to make your next visit even more special please do not hesitate to ask us.

Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I understand that this particular Oasis resort is called the calm resort but there was no one there including staff it seemed, it was very strange!!! And being an American it was also strange that almost all of the staff that was there didn't speak English, so this made it very hard to communicate or get anything that we wanted. I thought that when reading some of the other bad reviews that maybe these were just picky or up tight people, but no they were all correct. Every other couple that we talked to seemed disappointed as well. I have visited this area of Mexico 6 times now and have never been disappointed at all but this resort I will NEVER recommend to anyone!!! I would always recommend something like the Iberostar resorts and RIU resorts which are beautiful and you are always treated like kings!!! This place it seemed like the staff didn't care if we enjoyed ourselves or not!! The entertainment at this resort was also a joke and almost nonexistent!!!!!!!!!! I'm just very Sad that I wasted soooo much hard earned money on such an undeserving place!!!!! Please don't waste your money.... I booked on cheapcaribbean.com and wish I would have just payed the $40 extra for a better resort that I know would have been amazing!!!!! Also the wine bar they advertise is NOT open.... Doesn't even look like they will finish It!!! And when they say all inclusive that's a lie too!!!! You pay extra for drinks and everything!!! Even on the Grand side which I stayed. So please don't waste your money!! Even some of the workers that do speak English were telling us "yeah the ones in Cancun are better but this one is "low grade" so you might have like those better" and then would just laugh at us. Their pools always had garbage in them the whole week we were there to, very uninviting!!

5 Thank Meagan B
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Meagan,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. We would like to take this opportunity to let you know that our staff are always on hand to help our guests in any way they can. We thank you for your valuable feedback and will of course pass this on to the appropriate departments to prevent situations like this happening again in the future. We hope you will give us another chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!