Free cancellation until 02/08
US$393
US$166
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$187/night.

US$340
BahiaPrincipe
  • Pool
Las Villas Akumal(Akumal)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$223
US$217
Grand Bahia Principe Coba(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$290
US$310
US$258
  • Free Breakfast
2,550 results
All reviewscalm resortdos lunassmart carpiano barjean paulnoeli gomezwhite boxmakiocean frontfishgarden viewcoffee barinfinity poolfree snorkelingtacoswim up barceviche
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed at the Oasis Tulum June 18 and checked out on the 22nd.
The pool is what made our vacation bearable because it was where you were the most cooled. The A/C in our room was struggling to get cold. The first room I was given had an awful humidity smell. I asked other guest staying at the resort what they thought and not many were happy. Apparently there had been a series of storms the week before and the hotel suffered water leaks throughout the property, Thus humidity smell in many places, My kids never wanted to participate in the kids club because it smelled so bad. You get tired of the same food every day. Don't bother going to the Italian restaurant because the food is terrible and there were flies everywhere.
You get charged extra for Wifi,room safe and water bottles. There tap water is not safe to drink and they refill your room fridge with 2 bottles every 2 days. The bath tub needed a good scrubbing with clorox...
I could go on but why bore you... Dont stay here!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Leticia Z
OasisHotelResorts, Director General at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Leticia,

Before than anything else, we want to thank for for the opportunity that you gave us to spend you vacation with us, it is truly a shame that we couldn't reach your expectations and that you now have a bad perception of the hotel. We did have some issues on the past days with the rain and we are working really hard to find a solution to the humidity smell, also we want to inform you that we have passed the report of the AC to the maintainance team so they can check it out and fix it so our future guests won't have to go trought the same as you did, as well to the house keepers. We are truly sorry and that is why we offer you an apolioge. Hopefully in the future you can give us a second chance to imporve your perception of the hotel.

Gerardo Bordoli.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The photos on the account are super outdated, Its an hour taxi drive $80 usd to the hotel from the Cancun airport, we rented a car it was way cheaper. I really wanted to enjoy this place but couldn't, its OLD, the layout is HORRIBLE, it divided into two sections 'Families and Adults Only' first we got a room on the adults only side which was falling a part, the pool had no water in it, the walk to the restaurants was super far, it was like a maze trying get around, and it was not worth the 'no kids running around'. So we switch back to the other side where the families were and its nice and the pool was nicer. Our room was on the third flood it was clean, our fridge wasn't stocked (no water, no side, no beers), and they charge if you want a safe for your items. No free wifi..The buffet food SUCKED they had little to no options. We tried one of the restaurants and it was good. Theres nothing to do at night, The beach is very rocky so stay out or wear some water shoes. Theres no elevator, It's surrounded by trees and swamp water so be ready to be eating by the mosquitos. If you really need a vacation with your family and have a tight budget this might an option otherwise stay away, Cancun has many options. This is the worst Oasis Resort Ive stayed at and Ive visited all of them.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gabby v

Dear Gabby,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. It´s a shame that we couldn´t reach your expectations, and that the hotel is outdated to you, but we want to let you know that we are currently working on it to make it better, and hopefuly you can give us a second chance to change the impression that you left with. Regardless of all, we want to thank you again for your honesty and the ooportunity yoou gave us. Remeber that you can get in touch with us in case you do want to come back, and we will help you to make of your vacation the best!

Gerardo Bordoli

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Overall this hotel is OK! However what they scam you with is that they tell you there are 14 restaurants to eat in, but when we got there that number became 9 restaurants including the buffet. What they fail to tell you is that out of the 9, only the buffet and one other restaurant is open on any given night. If you choose to eat at the buffet there is no problem, but if u want to eat at the one restaurant that is open that night not only is there an hour wait ( because each restaurant has 15 tables max and 2 waiters including the host) but you will wait another 20 mins before your order is taken and an hour before your food arrives.

I don't blame the servers or the cooks, its the cheap management who do not want to hire more workers. The staff is amongst the hardest working staff I have ever seen and their hospitality is amazing, NOT THE MANAGEMENT though!! The managers hide when you ask for them.

When we called their office in Miami prior to booking to ask about the types of food they have available, Mary and Suzy at that office informed us that we will have access to 14 restaurants and upon signing up through their websites, this was also mentioned. They also informed us that the Grand Oasis is part of a group of resorts, one Being the 'Calm Resort' which is adjacent to the Grand Oasis and we would be able to eat there. When we tried to go and eat there, we were told we are not allowed to dine at their restaurants because we have kids with us. Turns out the Calm resort is only for adults and they consider kids as parasites and are not welcomed. Who the in their right mind would put an adults only hotel, RIGHT NEXT to the an all inclusive FAMILY RESORT??? The funny thing is that map of the resort they give you when you check in says you are allowed to go inside the adults only hotel, but their security guards make sure to make you feel unwelcome.

We had diner at one of the restaurants shared by both the family resort and the adults only resort and when my child wanted to go to the bathroom I was told to use the one in the lobby of the adults only hotel. On my way I had a security guard trying to stop me telling me no kids are allowed, naturally I kept going and after my kid used the bathroom I sent him back to the restaurant only to come back and talk to the security guard to tell him that it was the resorts staff who told me to use this bathroom. As I am explaining to him that it is not my responsibility to figure out where to go and that the hotel needs to accommodate their guests, he tells me that the adults only hotel is like flying First Class and the Family Resort Customers are like coach passengers. Of course I was livid and asked to see a manager. No manager came to talk to us and when we finally did talk to the Director of Operations, a woman, she was drunk out of her mind and she promised to talk to us in the morning, that never happened.

Should you go to this hotel and have a bad experience, management will tell you to call the company you booked with and see what they offered you. Well if your wifi does not work, what does that have to do with the vacation company you booked with? We explained to them over and over that we booked through the Grand Oasis Website directly and they said that is not our website, it is affiliated with another company.

Long story short this hotel may have been amazing at one point and after talking to other vacationers they said that it was an amazing hotel up until January of 2018. It is clear from their amenities, lack of organization, enslavement of staff that this is one cheap resort. The poor staff would work all morning cleaning up the gardens only to be sent to clean up seagrass on the shore of the beach. There were customers who were sunbathing who got up and started to help the staff clean up the seagrass because we all felt terrible for the staff who had to bag loads and load of seagrass.

As for the cleanliness of the resort; from the day we got there June 15, until we left today June 22, the front glass of the lobby and the glass doors of the main lobby were filthy and were not cleaned once!! Again I do not blame staff, I blame the lack of staff. It was clear that staff was overworked, which is why we tipped generously.

The buffet would put out one plate of shrimp, oysters and other seafood, but when that plate was done, they would not replace it with same option, they would replace it with a cheaper option like veggies, or something way less appealing. The staff did accommodate a couple of my requests and for that I am grateful, was it not for them, I'd give this place a 1.

We visited all restaurants available to us; Makitaco was the worst, the sashimi is paper thin, we could literally see through the slice of fish, the shrimp tempura, was all tempura and no shrimp and the salad was literally 5 pcs of lettuce and soy sauce. The best place to eat was the buffet, not because of the food, but because we did not have to wait an hour for our meal.

Dos Lunas had good options. The rest of the restaurants basically had the same plates with different variations of the plate; seabass, beef, grilled salmon the only thing different was the design of the plates.

Thank God we had our own car and we left the resort to stake out good Mexican restaurants, the 40 mins drive into downtown Tulum was worth it.

I could go on forever, but the key points here are this Don't expect much and you will be happy. They oversold us a great resort and the service made it a horrible resort.

One thing I did learn is that the Mexican people are amongst the hardest working, good hearted people I have ever met.

Room Tip: Don't expect much
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank fatima h
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Hmmm…Why is it that on paper, in the brochures and especially on the hotel websites everything looks so grand. Literally. And then you arrive. Mind, you are tired, its night, the reception works slow at check in, but still…

Well, Grand Oasis might have been grand at some point in their history but it aint the case now. It is mostly clean as the room service/cleaners are very good (they also are the most friendliest, smiliest and helpful staff – so if you need something try to approach one of them instead of the ‘dedicated’ help like reception…), but the areas like poolside lack some attention. Especially around the kids pool that was just quite dirty.

Now, although the hotel claims they are all inclusive, there is the small print (which isn’t actually printed anywhere, you’ll just find it out either at check in at best, during your stay or at the checkout the worst!!). So the things NOT included are: Wifi (at $10 a day it is cheaper to use your mobile data), safe (can’t even remember how much that was but quite a lot), the fact that you can go to the adult only side at the evenings (for additional cost obvs) only applies if you have no children in your room – regardless that you have a babysitter or if they are old enough to stay by themselves for an hour. Apparently it’s a regulation. There is literally nowhere really to have quiet drinks with another adult if you are on the family side and if you don’t want to sit in the reception lobby (not inspiring) or in the cigar bar – weirdest addition to a family resort but then… makes me sound like I cannot be without a drink but please be assured, this is not a case - I had exactly 0 units of alcohol on that 2 weeks as sugary cocktails aren't just my thing and I can actually live without it. Its just a matter of principle sometimes.

What they also don’t tell you that although their restaurants are ‘walk-in’ then in reality from around 6.30pm onwards there are queues at every restaurant that allow you to book only for the same night. Somehow even if you are second on line and wish to book for 8pm they are already fully booked – so be persistent and DEMAND  Although I must say the food in the restaurants is not that good that you would queue for any time, some of it comes from the buffet anyway and especially when with kids then I recommend you stick with buffet.

The buffet on the other hand was one of the best ones I have ever seen in such development (3* hotel to be precise). There is something for everyone – if you want healthy food or if you are just in for the fried stuff. The service is expectedly slow but hey, you are on holiday and actually bringing your own juice/water…it’s not that difficult at all. There are some massive queues there too at certain times, the secret is to go when they open then it is a bit lighter.

Overall it is an interesting place, the kids pool is a bit of a health and safety hazard (I spent the 2 weeks by that pool and lost the count of the falls due to a very slippery mats around the climbing cave, bleeding cuts – the tiles in the pool are rather sharp, the massive blow up climbing monstrosity in the middle of the pool where kids jump on top of each other knocking heads, tummies, backs…you name it etc) – the ‘doctor’ with a security guard is just walking around the pool all day and plastering kids basically.

Kids club is there too. Now kids seemed to have fun there, although it is more for under 9s as some activities are quite babyish, however they also let our 3y old who cannot swim at all in the pool with 7y old who can barely stay afloat. I don’t think they even noticed, so maybe I am being unfair if I say they let them go in :). So as kids weren’t that impressed anyway, after 2 days we didn’t try them again. I mean if they are taken to the beach at noon - the hottest time of the day to do sports then something is not quite right.

Some of the activities are for extra pay too – like tennis. Be careful when you send the kids to check them out as I ended up paying a bill of few hours for tennis rackets (similar to a Wimbledon rental prices) although mine never even got to the court, they just asked for them, got what they asked and I got the bill. After 2h of trying to find a manager who could authorise a refund I gave up and left it at that.

Something to bear in mind also is that take fresh beach towels with you every night and ‘book’ your chair(s) early in the morning as otherwise you will end up on sand for at least half a day! Also exchange your towels when you can as they are NOT brought out to the stations every 15min as they advertise but at some random times.

Other than the buffet GO also has the best beach around the area – we walked all the way up to some more expensive hotels and actually their beaches weren’t that good.
If you like to book any activity day then there is a till at the hotel where you can book them. For some reason (probably quite obvious) they promote more the ones on the right side and are quite reluctant to sell you the ones on the left (they might have changed the sides, but if you look at the leaflets, you’ll get it) and actually the ones on the left were much better organised, cheaper and more fun!
Would I go back? It’s a tricky one. I am not so sure actually! To Mexico definitely but perhaps would find a different hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not next to the ice machine...
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank Randur

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken writing such a detalied feedback, it is very helpful for us when our guests share with us their point of view because that is how we can truly know what to think to create new solutions so we can keep improving and make of your stay one you can completly enjoy.

We will share this information with the manager of each area involved so we can find a solution togehter. Also, we want to offer you a sincere apologie for all the inconvinences you went throught during your stay; we will improve and hopefully you can give us a second chance in the future.

Gerardo Bordoli

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Definitely feel like some people complain about everything and forget that this hotel is a lot cheaper then others in Riviera Maya... We went as a family of 3 and had a lovely time but like anywhere there are pros and cons and went open minded based on reviews... The hotel is really clean, kids pool lovely. The food is definitely 4 star although not much choice, the buffet restaurant was meant to be open for breakfast/lunch/dinner but wasn't opened once for dinner which left only Japanese style food, Mexican and Italian restaurants and one of those seemed to be shut each evening too which really limited where you ate but their saving grace was that the food was really good. The other part of the hotel the adults only Sian kaan but seems unfair and should be totally separate as with kids you don't have an option to upgrade there yet people get upgraded for free and then have more restaurants to choose from and pools and get to make reservations for the standard restaurants while we have to wait in line for a table for 20 mins, really unfair and should be completely separate. The entertainment is awful, might as well not be any, they don't do anything for the kids in evening which was a shame as my son had looked forward to a mini disco like most places do and the hour long shows which is often all they have are so bad, like embarrassingly bad, a few of the nights they also had a band play by the beach which was nice but should be every night as nothing else to do there. The room we had was nice and clean but ask for an upgrade as everyone we spoke to who asked seemed to get one so wish we had as the smell is pretty bad garden view rooms although you can't smell it when you're in the room so was ok. The birds however on the balcony are really annoying not that it can be helped but they poo everywhere and one morning we woke up to mess everywhere on the balcony so left everything open for cleaners to see and they just left it and closed the curtains!! Disgusting!! Especially when we have a little boy. Kids club is rubbish, not welcoming at all, we went in everyday and didn't get anything more than a hello. Had a nice time and is great for the money so if on a budget and want a week to chill by the pool then is great, plenty of sunbeds too although towels really need updating as not too nice.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank emmaworley33
OasisHotelResorts, Director General at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Emma,

First of all, we want to thank you for giving us an opportunity to host your vacation and also for sharing your experience with us. Furthermore, we would like to let you know we are very devoted to our guests, and the staff is committed to understand, help and satisfy all of your needs. Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you had so we can enforce and improve the service, as your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us.
We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.

Gerardo Bordoli.