1st and best piece of advice; bring your own towels! Towels are distributed by towel cards, they often ran out of clean towels and to buy your own towels anywhere were $20-$25 per towel.
-the staff worked very hard and were seldom idle, usually dripping with sweat as they tried to keep up with the demand. Great staff!
-Alfredo in the Tequila Restaurant is the best! He gets it, he makes you feel welcome, always has a smile and is genuine. Guaranteed he makes the most in tip money, he earns it
-the beach was amazing, very few people were at the beach when we were there, most stayed at the very nice pools
-resort store and resort souvenir booths were very affordable (quite surprised) and the souvenir booths at the resort would haggle (if you like that)
-Public Relations team at the resort would book all of your a la carte, spa, golf and other activities, very nice to have
-our room attendant Teodora (building 40) was amazing and very nice, I really appreciated her quality of work
-room safe was very small, smallest I have ever seen at a 5* resort, cannot even hold an iPad. Be advised, do not bring much you want to lock away as they charge $50 pesos ($5 US) per day for a small safe with a key (?) and the safe is too small. Have I said the safe is too small?
-great hard working staff, just not enough to meet my expectations of a 5*, if you try to self-serve, which I had no problem doing as I work in retail so I am very patient, they get rather insulted and defensive, I understand we went in the non-peak season, by choice, so they would have less staff. I would be afraid to go in January through March
-we are not prodigious drinkers of alcohol, but when asked for a strong drink, they would not make them, just pointed at signs saying talking about moderating your drinks
-Resort Maintenance; the mini-fridge stopped working on Wednesday morning as did the shower, we reported this, within minutes a supervisor was on-site reviewing. Then absolutely nothing happened presumably until after we checked out Sunday afternoon. We lost power in our room (breaker blew) and we reported it to the front desk, 3 hours later it was repaired
-must see is Xel-Ha (Google this), amazing place and a crime if you do not go to experience, especially if you have kids!
-shopping on 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen is highly overrated, very commerical with McDonalds, Victoria Secret, Hugo Boss etc... most places had fixed prices so you could not haggle and unless you wanted different restaurants to eat at or see more of the same souvenirs more money save yourself the time and use it elsewhere
-watch out for topless beaches, no indication, just stumble across it, guys you may find yourself in trouble if you do not have good sunglasses!
-travel mugs, bring your own to hold your drinks, this resort prides itself on being environmentally friendly and your drinks will last longer
Overall very good experience, I would recommend this resort. English was good and I will be learning Spanish for when I go back to Mexico or Cuba, it definitely helps!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 pools (including 2 with Jacuzzi for relaxation) 1 Jacuzzi Large sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity and scuba diving centre Entertainment amphitheatres WiFi access in the lobby (1 h per day free of charge) and in rooms additional charge) 1 buffet restaurant 3 a la carte restaurants 6 Bars Snack-Bar Wedding gazebo Dolphinarium (additional charge) Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 978 rooms including 4 types: Superior, Superior Junior Suite, Superior Club Hacienda and Club Hacienda Junior Suite. The Junior Suites are larger than the Superior rooms. Room facilities: King size bed (Superior Junior Suites) or 2 full size beds Sitting area (Superior Junior Suites) Fully-equipped bathroom: shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Hydromassage bath tub (Superior Junior Suites) Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar (included) Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Hacienda rooms (See page 18, Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with activities for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Cancelon, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Tulum Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Akumal
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Gran Principe Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Mayan Riviera Resort
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Riviera Maya, Mexico - Akumal