“the great, the good and the little ugly”

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Writing a review is a hard thing because every person is so different in what s/he likes. But trip advisor reviews were so helpful for me when I planned the trip, so I feel I need to give something back.

This review is oriented towards a family with small kids ( ours were age 4 and 8), so I will try to give a much helpful information as possible.

Also, although we stayed in Tulum, we did not spend a lot of time in our hotel but rather explored all three, so the review covers all of them. I actually did not like Tulum part very much. Coba seems newer and more upscale and Alumal has the best beach, in my opinion, so if you go, just chose the one which is on the bigger sale!

As recommended in other reviews, I emailed the hotel two weeks in advance and asked for restaurants' reservations. I also explained my room preference. I wanted to get a room near the Dolphinarium, so that kids can see the dolphins from the window. I was given the reservations next day, and all my desired times and places were given just as I wanted. I also was told that my room request will be recorded but will depend on availability. Upon arrival, we were given a room in building 32, second floor, with a balcony, which basically was above the dolphin pool. We could see the dolphins jumping from the water right in front of us! The kids LOVED it!

Building 32 is also very good because it is in the middle of all three hotels. If you get to the beach, turn right ( away from Tulum beach) in after 3-5 minutes of walking you are right by Coba/Akumal beach, which as a very nice sheltered lagoon. The sea was stormy all the time we were there, but in the lagoon there were no waves at all. The water was crystal clear and had tons of fish! There are shallow spots for kids ( further to the lagoon bar - look for the pier and a roof) and deeper places if you like to swim. You can also get to water breaks and jump on/from them. Huge fun! The first row and sunbeds gets taken quickly by 10 am but second and third always had free places.

A few steps up from the lagoon there is the Acumal main beach, which is, in my view, the largest and nicest of all, and has a kind of lazy river where you can float if you have a floating device ( we bought a mattress for 5 dollars). The pools are very clean, and just beautiful. There is a lot of Europeans, so you do not see a lot of drunk Americans/Canadians, as, alas, you can see in many all inclusive resorts in Cancun area ( sorry, did not mean to offend any country!).

The Coba pool has a wonderful small water park and a nice pool with hammocks. It is also least crowded from all resort pools. If you want to save money, book Coba, not Tulum. It is just a few minutes from the beach by a club cart that run every five minutes or even less! It has its own small beach, right near the central Acumal beach, so it is very convenient.

The grounds are spotless, so beautiful, with coconuts everywhere! It is very easy to reach various places by "buses" ( golf-cars, club-cars, whatever you call them) or if you like to walk, you get from hotel to hotel in about 10-15 minutes.

Tulum beach I liked the least. Too many waves and ugly breakers. Akumal beach further from the lagoon has nice coves but they are quite rocky at places. However, if you go past Acumal beach and exit the resort, there a small path that goes through a rocky part. in about 5 minutes, as you walk it, you turn and see FANTASTIC large bay/cove, all golden sand, coconut palms and no people. It is a fantastic place to spend a couple of hours on secluded sandy beach with sandy bottom and topaz clear water! I was told you can walk even further and get to another cove, but we did not make it. If you go, take shoes/flip flops. The rocks can hurt.

Also, if you are tired of doing nothing and want exercise, walk past Tulum beach. You 'll eventually get to a hotel called Oasis, and them past it the beach kind of turns into a bay. There are some stone parts as you turn, so take shoes but the stones will be over in a few minutes, and then you can walk on the sand through wonderful bays as far as Acumal beach. The tips is very easy for the kids ( my 4-years old loved it so much, he said it was more interesting than i-pad!) and took us about 45 minutes.

The small beach in Acumal ( further from Tulum) had a great parrot show one day! The trained parrots did unbelievable things! Check the time and take your children!

The food was great in all places. For dinner I preferred Coba buffet - it was the most elegant of three and felt very upscale. For lunch/breakfast both Akumal/Tulum were kind of the same. A lot of fresh juices, cocktails with champagne and Bloody Mary for breakfast, fresh fruits, all types of food, so many choices! if you do not want to spend too much time away from the beach, we loved the lunch buffet at La Tortuga. Less food than in the buffet but still all the you need for a good healthy lunch, and the atmosphere felt more home-like ( not so crowded, less walking around, better service) and down-to-earth but still elegant. ( we are not a type of people who will at french fries by the pool..)

We ate at Gourmet and Don Pedro, and at the Micado. Gourmet had great food, and was beautiful but the service was very slow ( it took 20 minutes to get me a cup of tea!). My small child feel asleep and my requests for waiters to bring food faster did not get any response. So if you have a small child, maybe it is not the right place. Don Pedro has basically the same food, and service was much faster, and much more personal. When the waiter noticed that my son did not like the soup, he immediately asked me what was wrong, and brought another one (plus an extra desert for the children!) Micado was in a very beautiful Asian setting, and had a very nice hibachi show that children loved but food was so-so... It got great reviews on Trip Advisor but honestly speaking, it is just fried Asian food. So I am not sure it was a good choice. But if you want to go, definitely book the show table!

In the evening the Tulum lobby provides flavored Tequillas, evening tea from samovar with honey and lemon, and Maxican flaming coffee.

We rented bikes for free couple of times and rode around. Great fun! We also took an organized bike tour, which was fun. You can also play tennis and even take tennis classes for kids for free during the week, or for 25 dollars on Saturday.

Not so good. On the first day we found out that there is a water leak in our room, that came from under the toilet bowl. I called the front desk, and they send a handyman. But he spoke not English, and I could not fully explain to him the problem since we ourselves did not understand the source for water leakage. He just cleaned the water and left. In two hours the floor again was full of water, We could not get another room with a same view, so we had to wait till the leak is repaired - It took four days and numerous calls to fix the problem, and a little water still leaked after the rainy days ( we had a couple of pouring rains - happily in night, not in the day!) We were, however, given a written note of apology, a bottle of bubbly wine, and some fruits. So it was not that bad after all, if you do not mind cleaning a puddle in your toilet ( by yourself!) once or twice a day with a towel. Not horrible, but shame for a 5-star resort, though!

However, when I dropped my earring in the sink drain, the handyman came very soon and saved it!

Also, once just across from our door on the stairs I saw a HUGE bug that looked like a giant cockroach. I scream and ran, and the man who drove the card came and killed it. If I see it in the room, I will be dead!

The last thing that was uncomfortable was the schedule of carts ( trains, club cars, call them anything you like) that provide transportation. It is very easy to get from Tulum to Acumal, or from Acumal to Coba, but horribly hard from Coba to Tulum, especially at night! The "trains" run very rarely, the place where they stop is horribly confusing, and bellboys are extremely unhelpful. Couple of times I had to scream at them because I was left to wait for a train for more than 40 minutes at 8 pm! Since many of the great restaurants ate at Coba, that was very inconvenient. So if you hate to wait and search for a confusing connection, plan accordingly. Either do not book a place to eat a Coba ( which is a pity) or simply ride to Acumal and from Akumal to tulum. Much simpler and actually saves time!!!! The trains to Akumal stop right in front of all Coba restaurats, you do not have to go to lobby!

The really bad was at the end. There is a day when they have a Mexican show in the resort. There is a pseudo Mexican village with small shops ( very beautiful, by the way) and once a week there is a Mexican show. It starts quite late, so went with my elder son, and left the small one with my husband at home. The show costs 30 dollars for an adult and 15 for a child. We went, and really enjoyed the show. ( it has games, contests, and a great performance of Mayan traditions and Mexican dances!) I charged to the room. However, at check out we were told to pay for two adults show tickets! I did not save the receipt and it took us about 20 minutes to sort things out, and the clerk said that he will charge us the child price not because he believes us but because "Mexicans are friendly people and he will do us a favor." My husband was very angry and felt humiliated. Also I tried to go to the spa at Coba. I was told that the sauna is open till 9 but when I came at 6 it was closed! The lady at the spa reception called Acumal spa, and told me that it is fully open. However, when I came, I found out that the sauna indeed was open, yet the steam room was closed. After a lot of argument they agreed not to charge me; howver at the check out a clerk told I need to pay a spa charge! Again it took about 15 minutes of calls to sort thing out. That was VERY unpleasant!

The child club at Tulum was closed because of roof renovating, and we tried to use one at Acumal but with no success. You really have to come at 9 and leave the child for the whole day. there is no option of leaving him for couple of hours during the day because it is always closed, and the children are out doing activities. It makes sense, yet it will be nice if there will be some member of the staff onsite continuously in case if you want to leave a child while you go to dine or take a long walk or just need a rest. All bikes, however, have kids' seats for toddlers and there are also children bikes ( for an 8-years old it was fine!), so it was easy to take small children for a ride.

The shows are late, so we were able to see only the Mexican one.

At the last day I leaned that if I agree to a timeshare presentation, I will be given two free tickets to Dolphin show. Maybe it is worth it? Even if you buy nothing, you still get tickets!:)

If you are into something different, across the highway there is a development built by the same company. Part of the development is called Thao,It is a center for alternative green living. They have a very nice jungle-type spa, which is free for hotel guests, and they even arrange the transportation. It is very different from the hotel spa, less pampering but more spiritual. You can also do a healing Mayan ceremony for extra 60 dollars. It is a type of a heat/cold intense ceremony. A friend of mine did it and loved it. I did not get it because at the time of the ceremony I lost my son on the beach and looked for him for an hour))))) ( He safely went to the lobby! I was just stupid and ran around instead of going straight to the lobby!)

In general, I highly recommend this resort. It is not ideal, and yes, made me frustrated sometimes, but it is large, it offers a lot of things to make your vacation never boring, it is clean, beautiful and greatly preserved. It allows you to take walks, ride bikes, enjoy sea and pools, eat and drink like a king and enjoy life. We will be back in spite of unpleasant things. I was at Sandos and Occidental before, and while the service at Sandos might be a little better, as a hotel, I certainly prefer Grand Bahia!

Sorry for typos and I hope this long review helps!

Room Tip: If you have small kids, ask for a building 32 across from Dolphin Pool with a room facing the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
17  Thank marina1970_11
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Marina:

This provide us the opportunity to thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review about the Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort. It will certainly help us to keep focus on costumer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We are concerned to learn about your experience and are sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your expectations of a five star hotel.

We are not happy to read that the service has not lived up to your expectations; we always take note of those comments which indicate opportunity for improvement.

Please be sure that we keep on working to improve our services and trust you will allow us another chance to restore all your confidence in Bahia Principe Hotels and Resorts.

Kindest regards,

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Write a ReviewReviews (12,864)

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

This place was not what we expected:(... in the worst way.. esp because we were first put in coba, ten minutes from the water... it is way to big of a place unless you have a few weeks of time.. no relaxing always going:(. Waiting on rides to go just about anywhere:(. They say free golf but that does not exist. .. 35 a person for clubs and 65 a person for a cart. . So after 200 bucks u can go golfing....Air conditioning is horrible:(. Barely works at all. Also if you enjoy dining with raccoons that is another big downfall. Along with the fact that there are no servers walking around for drink orders unless u r in the buffet... will never ever stay here again. Everything advertised is garbage. More pissed off at apple vacation for all the b.a we were fed about this place

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Anna Z
RRPPTULUM, Public Realtions at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Anna:

On behalf of the Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about us.

The management and staff extend our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences which you may have experienced

Please be assured that we have addressed your letter to the general manager in order to take measures as we always strive for excellence in service.

We will do our outmost and work to improve your next experience with us, if you can give us another change to restore the confidence in our chain, it will be our pleasure to serve you in the best possible way.

We appreciate the time in leaving us your comments.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at the GBPT the dates of Jan30-Feb7. This was our 4th trip to this resort in five years. We missed 2013 as we lost our travelling companion to cancer that fall and couldn't bring ourselves to go without her. This time we brought two newbie couples with us. I first have to say that our trip started out on the wrong foot as the front desk had no record of us having stayed there before. We were given a ground floor, end of the resort room next to the laundry that smelled bad. We voiced our concerns and we are happy to say that Julian Chim stepped up to the plate. He listened to our concerns and then arranged for us to move to the perfect oceanview room the following day. The next time we went to the front desk we were pleasantly surprised, the resort's public relations manager had us upgraded and our friends were upgraded as well. We were also invited to a "repeat customer's breakfast" where we met the managers of the resort who actually sat at our table and took notes on all our comments good and bad. Mr Schlokat really seemed to genuinely want our feedback. The next day we noticed a few subtle changes for the better. We truly love this resort and the people who work here. Honorable mentions: Kevin of the entertainment team, ARI at the Pool Bar, Maria, Corazone and Aurora of the Lobby Bar and Saul and Jose of the Breakfast servers. Every worker was pleasant and made our trip memorable. I think a fifth trip will be in our future.

1  Thank Greg F
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Greg:

We feel much honored to read your kind remarks in regards of your fourth visit to our hotel.

We extend our sincerest apologies about the inconvenience that you had at the begining of your stay but We are glad to hear that our personnel have left a good impression and that they attended with professionalism, as our main goal is our guest’s satisfaction.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

You can be assured that we look forward to welcoming you “back home” where your Mexican family awaits you.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, enjoy playing golf at our hotels on the Mayan Riviera.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I wrote yesterday to honor some of the wonderful staff at the Bahai Principe and omitted one of the MOST IMPORTANT people working there,----"Fernando Ramirez" manager of the Diamond Club. Without Fernando the Diamond Club wouldn't be the great place it is. People can go there for a drink, a game of cards, or to use the internet and be very welcome. He is a very pleasant man to be around, and is very professional. It doesn't matter what problem occures he handles it with his quiet, calming manner. Fernando is a real asset to Bahai Principe. We lok forward to his charm and caring ways each year when we vacation at your wonderful resort.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Sue:

On behalf of the entire Grand Bahia Principe Tulum team I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

We are glad to hear that our personnel have left a good impression, we appreciate you mentioning Fernando, your comment is a great motivation for him to keep up with the professionalism and good service.

We are honored that you have chosen our hotel as your holiday destination and pleased to hear that you had a good time during your recent visit to the Riviera Maya.

Looking forward to welcome you back!

Receive our warm regards,

Wendy García,

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We booked our vacation to the Gran Bahia Principe-Tulum with AppleVacations.
We had amazing service every step of the way. From the airport when we left, to the airport arriving back home again. This amazing service came not only from the Apple teams but, with everyone working at Tulum. They were more than happy to help us: find something we were looking for, transport us to and from the places we ate, the tours we took…
The maids cleaned our room in the morning and checked it again in the even to make sure we had what we needed.
The people were always welcoming, with warm smiles and friendly greetings.
The beach was absolutely beautiful. We snorkeled not far from the beach, saw fantastically colored fish, rested in our large, cool room, ate so much wonderful food, had drinks delivered to us along the swimming pool and watched the waves come in on the beach.
The atmosphere was soothing, a perfect vacation place, and now it is a special one for us, since he has asked me to marry him while we were there.
There is not one thing I would change about our vacation or, where we were. I loved it, I can’t wait to return.

Room Tip: We had a room at the top of the stairs on the 3rd floor. Very roomy with a king size bed, clean, and...
5  Thank sherri k

Dear Sherri:

Thank you for your kind review which you have shared with other travelers. We appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you in such an special occasion.

We are grateful for your kind comments and really appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback about your stay with us. As our main goal is our guest’s satisfaction.

We hope that you will not hesitate in returning in the near future and we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Best wishes,

Wendy García,

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed at this resort from Feb 6 to Feb 13, with my 62 yr old mother. I would like to point out firstly that the shuttles on the resort are definitely a nice touch for those who don't or can't walk too much. Or those who don't want to lol. We arrived very late, and must say that check-in was a breeze. They brought us straight to our room, and brought our bags up in a pinch. The one negative thing I will say about this hotel is that the rooms are very dated. I found the bed to be hard, and the shower leaks onto the floor (likely due to the fact that the door on the bath tub swivels in and out, making it impossible for the water to not leak out). We stayed in villa 22, on the second floor with a great location and view. Right by the pool, snack bar and buffet. You really can't go wrong with that villa. A/C unit was not very strong either. Otherwise, no other complaints here.

I don't understand how people can complain, we very much enjoyed the buffet daily, (the larger buffet at Tulum resort - Yucatan - very busy in the morning with people shoving around you in all directions), so for the rest of the time, we went to the smaller buffet by our room (Gran Tortuga), and all was good there. No complaints about the actual food. The snack bar also has great ice cream machine that was a must on a daily basis and Ruben at the pool bar makes the best drinks!

There is also a little Shopping district - Hacienda - within the resort itself, which was also a great touch, as I have done a lot of travelling and never had seen quite the setup. All the souvenirs and knick knacks you can imagine. Also a shuttle that takes you there on a regular basis.

I did find that the Dolphins on-site are in a rather small pool, and I am an absolute dolphin lover, and feel that having them on the resort is not really needed. Just being honest. A bit of a money grab.

We did the Tulum ruins, Akumal snorkel tour, which was $135 per person USD, I found that to be a bit steep in price, but the tour itself wasn't bad. I wish the snorkeling had been a bit more colorful, we did have a lunch at a small restaurant afterwards, and did enjoy that quite a bit. Good food and good entertainment/view here.

The resort is part of 4 resorts in total on the grounds, and I could argue that the service may not be as personalized for many people due to the amount of people staying here. Just logistics of it really. But very clean, well maintained, well groomed, well run overall..

Overall, I would definitely not hesitate to recommend this place to all my family and friends, and I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Villa 22 is great location.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Angele A

Dear Angele:

Your review is motivating as it reflects that we continuously exceed our guest’s high expectations.

We consider it to be a great honor to have had the opportunity to have served you and the fact that you endorsed our property highly, is very motivating our managers and staff to keep on going the extra mile.

Thank you for your recommendations for other guests.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My wife and I frequent the all-inclusive resorts of the Caribbean and we are now on our tenth year. We stayed last year at the GB Esmeralda in Punta Cana. We were so pleased that we decided to visit the GB Tulum in Akumal Mexico and were NOT disappointed. This is the most amazing resort and offers something for everybody. The beach area from Akumal to Tulum resorts is about 3/4 of a mile and offers every different type of swimming. The dock area by Akumal resort has the BEST resort snorkeling I have ever seen. I could go on for page after page with accolades for this resort but will not. GO THERE and see for yourself. We will be going back next winter and will be taking friends!
Couple tips...take the cab trip to the village of Akumal and snorkel with the turtles.Then have the best Chicken fajitas at the beach restaurant.
Get your spot on the beach early. They say not to "Hold" the chairs but if you do not, you will not get a place to sit. Especially by the pools with swim up bars.

Room Tip: Tulum resort has great views...Coba is NOT on the water and is more family and kid friendly
4  Thank JonMartin2013

Dear JonMartin:

We are glad to know that Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort was a good host during your vacation.

Thank you for giving us your nice feedback about the time you had here and the activities that you had enjoyed. I believe that your suggestions will be very useful for other readers.

We do look for the opportunity to welcome you back again to your second home at the Mexican Caribbean.

Regards,