Went away for 10 days with my Mom. Been to several all-inclusives. Had good hopes about this hotel but was very disappointed in the end. Would have been a much better experience had this hotel had working AC, better buffet service and more/better entertainment and services in general.
See my review on all below:
The hotel is located about 1 and a half hours south of Cancun airport. If you want to go to Playa del Carmen or see the Tulum ruins, you are perfectly located. Very close to all the fun parks as well, although the drive to your hotel after a long flight can be annoying. Don't expect the transfer buses to have much AC either. This was a big problem throughout our trip.
Gran Bahia Principe Tulum. The grounds are beautiful and we'll maintained. Fairly well layed out. Close to beach, close to pool and restaurants. The cool thing about this hotel is the fact that you have access to all restaurants and pools and grounds for all 3 in this chain. Coba, Akumal and Tulum. They have shuttles running between all 3 very frequently. Which makes getting to each one very easy. Good thing about hotel is that you get 1 hour of free wifi everyday. You have to log into it in the lobby only, but if you make your way to the other resorts during the day, you'll be able to benefit from their 1 hour of free wifi as well....
The pool is large and has 3 main sections. The quieter side in front of the lobby. The semi-busy side with the pool net. And the section with the swimup bar in front of the entertainment.
The pool was pretty well cleaned every morning. The problem is that the sun throughout the day makes the water very warm. Like bath water and they don't ever add any cool water to cool it down during the day. When you're burning up and need to cool off, jumping in a warm pool does not help!
In terms of finding loungers with an umbrella, you must get one before 9 am. Otherwise you're out of luck. Although there are signs not to reserve chairs, everyone does and they plop their towels down, and leave....take my advice, do the same!!!!
You're going to definitely want access to some shade after about an hour out in the sun!
I enjoyed the beach. The north end is rocky and has no chairs, but it is beautiful and picturesque. As you walk towards the south end, you'll find chairs and umbrellas. You'll also notice sand whale rocks that break the waves. These are fun to climb and make the water calmer and cleaner. Not much seaweed to be found but as I said, lots of little rocks on north end, and south end becomes much softer.
Los Olas, snack bar:
It's great that this snack bar is open 24 7. But it was so smelly all the time. I still don't know why. It kind of turned me off of sitting and eating there. Not to mention that the 2 bathroom stalls attached to the resto is dark, smelly and felt very dirty.
Service and Staff:
Horrible horrible horrible! Honestly. I've been to many all inclusives, including the Grand Sirenis in mexico. This hotel, by far has the worst service.
Most hotels have waiters or waitresses coming around the pool and beach to serve drinks! Nope. Not here. It's very much a get up and serve yourself type of mentality.
For a 5 star.... that's pathetic!
And forget about the service in the buffet restaurant. Especially for breakfast, it takes them forever to come around and serve coffee or tea. Half the time, the guests were forced to get up and approach a waiter before he decided to come by. It was truly unbelievable. And they never bring water. That's the basics. Always start with water!!!!! Then there are the times were you actually get their attention, tell them what you want and then wait forever to get it. Then when they do finally arrive, they forget half of what you asked for.!!!!!!!!! I was truly disapointed by the "service".
Okay, now this is a big one, and I heard many people also complaining about it..... don't expect AC in this hotel! anywhere! At least not how you know AC. None of the restos have ac. The seating in the buffet area is outdoors with ceiling fans...no AC. even the a la carte restos don't have it either. And when it's humid as hell and 40 degrees, when you're dying of sweat. You crave the AC. Well you'll just have to deal with it if you decide to come here.
Villa 8, Room 816, it's on the second floor in the far right corner. Small and very very basic. Good location within the resort....
No sofa, NO SAFE ( seriously, i've never seen this before- they make you pay to use the safe) small bathroom, and again! No AC! It was ridiculous. We complained because I had never seen that before and we were melting with heat. The "maintenance guy" finally came by after calling twice and "fixed it". I told him it was not fixed as no cold air was coming through, but he insisted in spanish that it was working. Since he didn't speak a word of english, I let it go....2 days later I complained again because we were dying....but still, no AC. It really didn't seem that this hotel cared very much about the comfort of their guests.
The water pressure in the shower was also non existent. I complained about this as well, and they did absolutely nothing about it. We also had problems with the water temperature. I took cold showers half the time, but when I did get warm water, it would constantly go hot then cold and would never stay consistent.
Note: the outlets in the room work for North American and Europeans, but if you have an adapter or a plug that is bigger than the regular sized plug, it won't fit.
Food and drink:
Great selection of food! It tasted very good as well. I usually get sick at most resorts, but I had no trouble here. The a la carte restos were also very good. The best in my opinion was Don Pablo. Nice selection, eclectic dishes and very tasty. I did not enjoy the Pescador. This was the seafood resto. Not very good at all.... I actually wasn't impressed with any of the seafood at this resort except for the shrimps. everything else tasted very sea-like and fishy.
The Japanese resto was nice but not a very good show at all- too short and he did 1 trick the whole time. I've been to better. This resto was called Mikado.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 pools (including 2 with Jacuzzi for relaxation) 1 Jacuzzi Large sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity and scuba diving centre Entertainment amphitheatres WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms additional charge) 1 buffet restaurant 3 a la carte restaurants 6 Bars Snack-Bar Wedding gazebo Dolphinarium (additional charge) Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 978 rooms including 4 types: Superior, Superior Junior Suite, Superior Club Hacienda and Club Hacienda Junior Suite. The Junior Suites are larger than the Superior rooms. Room facilities: King size bed (Superior Junior Suites) or 2 full size beds Sitting area (Superior Junior Suites) Fully-equipped bathroom: shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Hydromassage bath tub (Superior Junior Suites) Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar (included) Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Hacienda rooms (See page 18, Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with activities for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Tulum Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Akumal
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Gran Principe Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Mayan Riviera Resort
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Riviera Maya, Mexico - Akumal