“High hopes = disappointing experience! Won't go back!”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Montreal, Canada
“High hopes = disappointing experience! Won't go back!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Went away for 10 days with my Mom. Been to several all-inclusives. Had good hopes about this hotel but was very disappointed in the end. Would have been a much better experience had this hotel had working AC, better buffet service and more/better entertainment and services in general.
See my review on all below:

Hotel location:
The hotel is located about 1 and a half hours south of Cancun airport. If you want to go to Playa del Carmen or see the Tulum ruins, you are perfectly located. Very close to all the fun parks as well, although the drive to your hotel after a long flight can be annoying. Don't expect the transfer buses to have much AC either. This was a big problem throughout our trip.

Hotel:
Gran Bahia Principe Tulum. The grounds are beautiful and we'll maintained. Fairly well layed out. Close to beach, close to pool and restaurants. The cool thing about this hotel is the fact that you have access to all restaurants and pools and grounds for all 3 in this chain. Coba, Akumal and Tulum. They have shuttles running between all 3 very frequently. Which makes getting to each one very easy. Good thing about hotel is that you get 1 hour of free wifi everyday. You have to log into it in the lobby only, but if you make your way to the other resorts during the day, you'll be able to benefit from their 1 hour of free wifi as well....

Pool:
The pool is large and has 3 main sections. The quieter side in front of the lobby. The semi-busy side with the pool net. And the section with the swimup bar in front of the entertainment.
The pool was pretty well cleaned every morning. The problem is that the sun throughout the day makes the water very warm. Like bath water and they don't ever add any cool water to cool it down during the day. When you're burning up and need to cool off, jumping in a warm pool does not help!
In terms of finding loungers with an umbrella, you must get one before 9 am. Otherwise you're out of luck. Although there are signs not to reserve chairs, everyone does and they plop their towels down, and leave....take my advice, do the same!!!!
You're going to definitely want access to some shade after about an hour out in the sun!

The beach:
I enjoyed the beach. The north end is rocky and has no chairs, but it is beautiful and picturesque. As you walk towards the south end, you'll find chairs and umbrellas. You'll also notice sand whale rocks that break the waves. These are fun to climb and make the water calmer and cleaner. Not much seaweed to be found but as I said, lots of little rocks on north end, and south end becomes much softer.

Los Olas, snack bar:
It's great that this snack bar is open 24 7. But it was so smelly all the time. I still don't know why. It kind of turned me off of sitting and eating there. Not to mention that the 2 bathroom stalls attached to the resto is dark, smelly and felt very dirty.

Service and Staff:
Horrible horrible horrible! Honestly. I've been to many all inclusives, including the Grand Sirenis in mexico. This hotel, by far has the worst service.
Most hotels have waiters or waitresses coming around the pool and beach to serve drinks! Nope. Not here. It's very much a get up and serve yourself type of mentality.
For a 5 star.... that's pathetic!

And forget about the service in the buffet restaurant. Especially for breakfast, it takes them forever to come around and serve coffee or tea. Half the time, the guests were forced to get up and approach a waiter before he decided to come by. It was truly unbelievable. And they never bring water. That's the basics. Always start with water!!!!! Then there are the times were you actually get their attention, tell them what you want and then wait forever to get it. Then when they do finally arrive, they forget half of what you asked for.!!!!!!!!! I was truly disapointed by the "service".

Okay, now this is a big one, and I heard many people also complaining about it..... don't expect AC in this hotel! anywhere! At least not how you know AC. None of the restos have ac. The seating in the buffet area is outdoors with ceiling fans...no AC. even the a la carte restos don't have it either. And when it's humid as hell and 40 degrees, when you're dying of sweat. You crave the AC. Well you'll just have to deal with it if you decide to come here.

Hotel room:
Villa 8, Room 816, it's on the second floor in the far right corner. Small and very very basic. Good location within the resort....
No sofa, NO SAFE ( seriously, i've never seen this before- they make you pay to use the safe) small bathroom, and again! No AC! It was ridiculous. We complained because I had never seen that before and we were melting with heat. The "maintenance guy" finally came by after calling twice and "fixed it". I told him it was not fixed as no cold air was coming through, but he insisted in spanish that it was working. Since he didn't speak a word of english, I let it go....2 days later I complained again because we were dying....but still, no AC. It really didn't seem that this hotel cared very much about the comfort of their guests.
The water pressure in the shower was also non existent. I complained about this as well, and they did absolutely nothing about it. We also had problems with the water temperature. I took cold showers half the time, but when I did get warm water, it would constantly go hot then cold and would never stay consistent.
Note: the outlets in the room work for North American and Europeans, but if you have an adapter or a plug that is bigger than the regular sized plug, it won't fit.

Food and drink:
Great selection of food! It tasted very good as well. I usually get sick at most resorts, but I had no trouble here. The a la carte restos were also very good. The best in my opinion was Don Pablo. Nice selection, eclectic dishes and very tasty. I did not enjoy the Pescador. This was the seafood resto. Not very good at all.... I actually wasn't impressed with any of the seafood at this resort except for the shrimps. everything else tasted very sea-like and fishy.
The Japanese resto was nice but not a very good show at all- too short and he did 1 trick the whole time. I've been to better. This resto was called Mikado.

Room Tip: villa's 1-8 are the closest to the lobby and pool..... not too far from other things as well. I...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Jace23_11
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Jace,

Thank you for your recent visit and for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review and for your suggestions regarding your recent stay with us.

Feedback is essential in order to keep improving our standards and services from day to day. We appreciate your effort and your time and it honors us to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the beautiful Riviera Maya.

Looking forward to welcome you back!

Wishing you a wonderful day,

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,283)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks and got married on the beach while we were there. It was amazing and completely perfect. Awesome staff who worked so hard all the time - really clean and wonderful food and the most wonderful holiday ever .

Room Tip: Don,t have ground floor but our rooms were great and they were standard rooms - would go back withou...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Carole V
Dear Carole,

Thank you for choosing our Resort for celebrating your wedding!

It is an honor to serve you during such a unique event and to know that we have made your stay a memorable experience.

Making our guests feel pampered and forgetting their everyday worries, are our main goals, and I feel glad that our staff, services and installations have achieved that

Awaiting the moment of welcome you for your first anniversary!

St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We were travelling to Mexico in January 2013. It was great time! The hotel was wonderful, our room was nice and always clean. The air condition was very noisy, but it didn't make us feel uncomfortable. The huge territory of the hotel was very beautiful and small electrocars with wagons were plying all the time among hotels. Also on the territory were different restaurants, we have visited only 3 of them: brazilian, french and japanese. The food was great, the hostess were very attentive and nice. Also, breakfasts, lunches and dinners were of great choice. Love it very much! The beach was beautiful like in paradise! Thanks for such wonderful holidays to every employee of this hotel!! Hope to get back again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Helen-sonick
Dear Helen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed it. Your opinions about the a la carte restaurants will be so much helpful for our future guests, as well for your nice tips on exploring the Riviera Maya!!

We are honored that you have chosen our Hotel as your holiday destination and pleased to hear that you had a good time during your recent visit.

Looking forward to welcome you back!

Receive our warm regards,

glasgow
Reviewed 5 July 2014

we stayed here from 17th may till 31st overall great holiday our daughter got married on 26 th may thomas cook did fantastic job of wedding planning we were upgraded to hacienda which was very nice as we had pooll area and tequila restaurant for breakfast and lunch gabriel and staff were great he always looked after us rooms were dated but very clean as was the whole resort staff all very friendly pool bar at our side was very good the main restaurant was hit and miss i found the food not too warm but i am quite fussy lived on pizza for 2 weeks the wedding day was brilliant all staff were great only downside the bride and groom had us dollars stolen from there safe why buy a safe if it is not safe no response from hotel my sister and i paid 25 pounds each to have a wash and blow dry on the wedding day what a mess had to redo complained but still had to pay top tip do your own hair overall fantastic but keep your money somewhere else and stay away from hairdressers all in all very clean resort need to look at evening entertainment finished too early

Room Tip: upgrade to hacienda very quiet here
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank isobel s
Dear TripAdvisor user,

We appreciate your effort and your time and it honors us to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for chosing us for that special ocassion!

For us feedback is essential in order to keep improving our standards and services from day to day.

Regarding the situation described, we want you to know that we keep strict control of all incidents reported and in this particular case; we can assure you that we have implemented all the security protocols established by the company. Also, please note that all our personnel is well checked every time they are coming in or getting out of the Hotel, in order to avoid that items can be taken away.

We would like to make a heartfelt apology that you got the impression that our staff do not give the proper follow up to your incident. I will not attempt to excuse the occurrences that happened during your stay, but I do sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to offer you a more charming experience.

We certainly however will be seeking for excellence and we are looking forward to welcoming you back here in the future.

Our kindest regards,

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Sorry the review says August 2013 but I couldnt select the proper month! We stayed at Principe Tulum June 2013, first ever trip for my husband and I to an all inclusive. Went for a wedding. May as well start at the beginning:
When we finally got out of the airport to wait for transport which was included, we did have to wait just a little while, but not terrible. And yes it is about an hour or longer to the resort with some other stops to other places but I seen this as a way to see things along the way, ask others about their experiences (or lack of) of the resorts and attractions in the area. Also, you could take a little nap! There were only a few stops before ours. Transport driver was polite.
Check in was quick, and they brought us some cold drinks while checking in which was great. We arrived just before lunch, our room was being cleaned so they held our luggage and we went to the buffet had lunch and then were taken to our room with our luggage by trolly.
We had a top level room at the very back of the resort, and I do agree that the swamp area just beyond the fence did have a smell, but that's natural, its the environment so it didn't bother us. Room was spacious and clean. AC did what it could to keep up with the heat, actually my husband would get up in the night to turn it off because he was cold!
Mini fridge was always stocked everyday, no issues. We had upgraded our room thinking we would use the small sitting area, we didn't spend enough time in the room awake to use it!
The pool areas were always very clean, we mainly stayed to the smaller pool, but did go to the main pool to enjoy the swim up bar. Chairs were usually taken, but if you could find one to place your things on, chairs came available all the time. Bartenders at the pools were great.
Buffet food was good, some say its bland, I am a very picky eater and never went hungry!! Servers in buffet were always great.
We booked any excursions through our westjet vacations rep. We went on a snorkeling trip that included a walking tour of some Mayan Ruins (where you could swim in the beautiful water!) then snorkeling at another location where we swam with giant sea turtles! See beautiful fish and plant life. Then had lunch in a beach side restaurant. Guides were fantastic.
Went into Playa De Carmen to purchase some souvenirs but you could pretty much buy the same items at the Hycienda at the beginning of the resort which was very convenient. We booked swimming with the dolphins on resort, which was amazing, highly recommend. Also on resort we went parasailing which I thought was excellent but terrifying!
We visited the ecopark Xplor. This park is the most fun. With 14 ziplines, including water landings, swimming in underground caves, driving submersibles, you cannot go wrng booking this park for a day excursion! Booking with our rep, it was about $130 a person which included everything at the park, transport and buffet, which was also delicious! (And had pepsi!! Resort only has coke lol)
Tulum is right on the beach, literally minutes walk from our room, beach was very nice, has some rocks but once again is nature! The wave breaks while may not be pretty are very useful! Plenty of little fish around! I suggest a small waterproof camera, was the best money I ever spent!
The shows each night were great! We managed to catch a few, was a great way to end the day, because by then we were pooped!
Ate at Don Pablo, and La Grand Tortuga and the Japanese a la carte, all were good. As I said I am a picky eater so I preferred the buffet, but they were good just the same.
I have raved about our wonderful trip to everyone we know and have actually found a few others who have stayed and also enjoyed their trip, personally I think this location is absolutely worth the 5 stars I gave it, and now in considering another trip to Mexico, we are considering the same place knowing what we know!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jenifer A
Dear Jenifer,

Thank you for your kind review which you have shared with other travelers. We appreciate that you took the time to remember us and it make us really happy to know that you enjoy our food and drinks.

It is comments like yours who motivate our staff and show us what we do is right. We appreciate your recommendation to your friends and family and we are looking forward to welcoming you back here in the future.

We hope to attend you and your family really soon!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is my second time to this hotel (and I never normally return to the same hotel). I have been once with family and now with my boyfriend. (18th June- 3rd July). The hotel is really big. 3 hotels in one complex. Golf carts take you around the complex so don't worry about not being able to walk far.

The food within the hotel is fantastic. There is many reviews moaning about not "being able to book the restaurants they wanted". We never had a problem. We booked every restaurant we wanted (8 in total). We even booked the Brazilian twice. The Japanese is fantastic too- ask for a show table. The italian (portifino) is fantastic too. The people who moan about not getting restaurants probably are picky on what time they ate.
Yes sometimes you could only have a 630pm or 9pm sitting. And not the typical 7-8pm everyone wants. But if you compromise and eat late or early you WILL get the restaurants you want. Eating a little early or late is better then missing out. I also heard people moaning about things like the italian didn't have "pizza". I was shocked as the menu is brilliant and all people wanted was pizza- you can get pizza on the buffet. Try something different and not be ignorant.

Snack bar is 24 hours- good service. Yes there are birds and raccoons- but enjoy the wildlife- you don't get this in England.

The grounds are spotless and very clean. Staff do a great job

Pools are great- always get a bed. Beach is a little rocky but great for fish and snorkelling. Just walk where there is no rocks. Further down the beach is a bar with swings- worth a walk. I stayed on the beach mostly as the breeze was nice and helped you relax- plus was close to bars and pools.

Take US dollars. Travel agents will advise you to take paso. But dollars are fine.

Trips: we went on a lot of trips to see a bit of mexico.
One tip you MUST do is swimming with the whale sharks. Fantastic. Once in a life time experience. The disk with over 400 pictures of the day and you swimming with them is $30. Well worth it!! Full day experience with food included.
If you fly with thomas cook the "TC PROJECT-coco bongo" is fantastic. Best club I ever been too. All drinks included. Good night out.
I also visited chicken itza and el balam. - honestly ek balam is better. You can climb the pyramid and the cave you swim in is beautiful. Chicken itza is good as it's a well known attraction however the cave you swim in is public and over crowded and not very pretty.
Ek balam is better value for money.

Shows in the hotel are good. The hacienda entertainment at night was nice live music. And the disco club was air con and something to do if u were awake at 1am.

Overall if you are open minded and want to enjoy your holiday you will have a good time.
Weather is hot too! The forcast stated rain however it did not rain once.

Have fun! And relax! Fantastic holiday!!

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Kiera43
Dear Kiera,

We are really happy to know that you enjoy our Hotel and the facilities of the three Resorts. Thank you for choosing us for your vacations and for your feedback!

Our main goal is to offer a great service and always be there to help our guest for any inconvenience that they might have during their stay.

We hope to attend you and your family really soon!

Kindest regards,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

After reading all this brill reviews was so confident that our holiday will be stress free... I am still here for the last night with really bad food poisoning . I believe I got it in snack bar two days ago . I was shocked how they reuse bar plastic cups ... In front of me they rinsed it with cool water only??? I no wonder that this is very good way to spread the germs ... So very disappointing that I can't attend dinners for the last two nights as it makes me very sick just to smell the food;( we are staying In Hacienda club and the grounds are nice , close to pool and the beach. You MUST tip the maid otherwise will be no coffee or sticks to mix coffee for two or more days even after I made complain. My kids loved their stay , everything was so exiting for them . We Visited kids club and my 9 year old girl wasn't happy even to give a try. It looked sooo boring . My little one wasn't taken in as she supposed to be 4 ( she is 4 in September ). This didn't help me as a parent to enjoy little bit peace of mind...

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank monduka
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us and for taking the time to reviewing your stay with us, your comments are welcome and value.

We value all of our guest’s comments that do not just include the positive but the negative ones as well. We understand you did not have the experience that you were anticipating and what we expect to provide.

We are very concerned about the health problem you had during your stay; we take these matters very seriously considering food health issues and have daily healthy inspections to eliminate all potential cases.

Also we will like to say that traveling can increase your chances of getting sick because the body needs time to adjust to water, food and air from other places, the presence of microorganisms other than those around them, environmental allergens, dietary changes, stress travel, and other factors, also the resort's water and food buffets or snacks are consumed by a large number of people, if any of these were contaminated, would undoubtedly several guests with the same condition in a short period of time. To avoid such incidents, we have an extreme caution in the management of food hygiene or food safety. Staff are trained regularly for food and beverage routine checks are carried out water quality (first of all it is important to mention that all the water is purified by reverse osmosis, plus they take control of chlorine daily sampling for microbiological analysis) and as for the sanitary control of food (take temperatures of all processes described as HACCP systems, refrigeration, freezing, thawing, cooking, food display at buffets, etc) weekly inspections conducted by the Quality department and monthly inspections by an external company (Check Safety First).

As well for your comments regarding the maid service and the Kid's Club activities, i will pass the comments to their supervisors so that we can improve on those.

We hope that you will not hesitate in returning in the near future and we will have the pleasure of welcoming you all again.

Warmest Regards,

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Tulum? Share your experiences!