“Loved everything!!”

Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Bahia Principe Tulum at the end of July. There is nothing negative that I can say about this hotel. We arrived around 2PM and couldn't get our room until 3, but they gave us our wristbands so that we could have access to everything. Upon reaching the check in desk we were given welcome margaritas. I felt safe leaving our luggage with the baggage guys. We went to have lunch at the buffet after getting our wristbands. There was a large selection, and I felt there were more than enough options for me being a vegetarian. After lunch we went to see if our room was ready, and they informed us it would be another 15 minutes, so we just waited in the lobby.

Finally our room was ready and one of the baggage men took our luggage and loaded it into a cart and took us to our room. Our room was on the 3rd floor and we had to take our bags up ourselves. We were in villa 29, so it was a bit far from the main lobby, but not more than a 5 minute walk. As the week went on we realized that our villa was in a good location as it was close to the Akumal beach which we preferred for snorkeling and swimming as opposed to the Tulum beach.

We got to reserve at 4 a la carte restaurants for booking with Air Canada Vacations, so we tried El Pescador, Gran Tortuga, Mikado, and Tequila. They were all good, one thing about Mikado is that when they poured fire over our dishes, it left a bitter taste on some of the vegetables. Aside from that, the rest of the food was good. Gran Tortuga prepared a vegetarian pasta for me and it was delicious.

The beach was beautiful, although we did prefer the Akumal side. We did a bit of snorkeling and there are loads of fish to see. Be careful if you go out past the sand bags as we did see some sea urchins!

We were happy with the food. There were omelet stations for breakfast and pasta stations for dinner. Along with lots of different selections, we were always satisfied after a meal. The waiters were most of the time very attentive and filled our water consistently. We tried the buffet at Coba once and it looked a lot newer than the Tulum buffet. The food was generally the same in regards to choices and quality.

We did get a little card slipped under our door once for the privilege club presentation, and decided not to go. Whenever we walked by the desk for it in the lobby they tried to reel us in but we avoided it. They weren't too persistent which is a good thing.

There seemed to be a bar everywhere we went! Definitely a plus. Only thing was that majority of them seemed to close really early. We did try the swim up bar in the Tulum pool and the bartender was very nice and friendly. We ordered Long Island Iced Tea's multiple times hoping that one bartender would get it right, but i guess canadians & Mexicans have different ideas of what a long island iced tea is.. it wasn't a big deal as there are millions of other drinks to try ;)

The Hacienda is big, lots of shops (prices are negotiable) and 2 bars, one is not part of the all inclusive option though. We did go to the disco twice during our stay. Both times the same bartender was there, he was a fun guy who liked to dance along while making drinks. He definitely stood out from the other bartenders which is why we kept going back to him for drinks. The music at the disco was good at the beginning of the night, but that is similar to any club that you go to. After the club one night we went to the 24 hour snack bar to get some food only to find that there was no chef available and wouldnt get there until 20 minutes. We were going to wait, so we walked around a bit. We went onto the beach but a few minutes later a security guard came and asked us to leave because of the sea turtles. We just ended up leaving as there were lots of people at the snack bar also waiting.

The room was nice, decent size. We had a flat screen tv. I read many reviews about the a/c not being good enough or not working properly so I was a bit nervous about that. However, our a/c worked perfectly fine. In fact, some nights I would wake up because I was too cold and needed an extra blanket. This was definitely not a bad thing because I'd rather have good a/c than none at all! When we first arrived there was a little leak from the a/c but we turned it down a bit and it stopped leaking. The shower was fine, but it did soak the bathroom floor whenever we used it. We just put a towel under the spot that leaked and that controlled the mess for the most part. It wasn't too big of a deal. I did notice that there seemed to be a bit of mold on the inside of the coffee pot, but we never made coffee in the room so it didn't really affect us. Our bottled water was replenished daily and we got cute little towel animals on the bed.

All in all, it was an amazing trip!! Would definitely love to go back there some day!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tay-gou
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Mai,

All the team in Grand Bahia Principe want to thank you for your time and for sharing your feedback with us!. Also for your comments about the little details that you notice, that really help us to improve.

We are glad to hear that our personnel have left a good impression; your comments is a great motivation for them to keep up with the professionalism and good service.

Looking forward to welcome you back!

Receive our warm regards,

Grand Bahía Príncipe Tulum

There are newer reviews for Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Reviewed 26 August 2014

This was our favourite holiday ever (and yes we did take the kids!). The hotel was fabulous, the food was fabulous, the staff were always happy and seemed pleased to help you or talk to you, the country is beautiful, the beach was white sand and clear blue sea, the weather was glorious in short we couldn't fault a thing. Our party ranged from 10yrs to 50+yrs and each of us was totally bowled over by Mexico and this resort. The a la carte restaurants were all great, but the Japanese, the Arlequin and the Brazilian are worth a special mention. The Hacienda rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. If you want a once in a lifetime experience whilst in Mexico you must try swimming with the whale sharks (you do need to be fairly fit and a decent swimmer as it is rather physical). Swimming with the dolphins is also a must but you are better off booking the excursion to a local dolphinarium to do it as the dolphinarium on site doesn't provide as enjoyable an experience as the excursion and if you can add on the catamaran trip to this (as we did) it makes a fabulous day out. We would definitely come back to Mexico and this Hotel.

Room Tip: we had 2 rooms, 1 on the ground floor and 1 on the 1st floor. The room on the ground was often visit...
5  Thank Shaleen N
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Shaleen,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments on Trip Advisor and for choosing Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort for your recent stay.

We consider it to be a great honor to have had the opportunity to have served you and the fact that you endorsed our property highly, is very motivating our managers and staff to keep on going the extra mile.

It would be our privilege to welcome you back in the near future, giving us another opportunity to make sure you have your new "best vacations!".

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 26 August 2014

This hotel is lovely and relaxing place to stay. All the staff work very hard to ensure all needs are met and nothing is too much trouble. They were lovely with my 2 children. The hotel is always kept clean and tidy.

Room Tip: Depends what you are going for. The Coba area has a child's water park, and the children's c...
3  Thank Linda W

Dear Linda,

First of all we want to thank you for taking the time to write this amazing feedback.

We are glad to hear that our personnel have left a good impression, your comment is a great motivation for our staff to keep up with the professionalism and good service.

Hope to see you soon back in ths "lovely hotel"

Best regards.

Wendy García
Grand Bahía Príncipe Tulum.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I do not have words to describe how many i loved this hotel! Staff are incredible friendly and happy , rooms are happy with lot of colors, the food was amazing with hundred of options !! The pool bars are perfect also.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bmmsantos

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

First of all we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our hotel to enjoy your vacations.

We are grateful for your kind comments and really appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback about your stay with us.It is glad to hear you had such a good time.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon!

Warm regards,

Bahía Príncipe Tulum

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We really wanted to like this resort, but unfortunately, they missed so many opportunities to fix some problems we experienced that could make this review better... We love Mexico, and will return again, just never to this resort. I also agree that your attitude has much to do with your experience, but when you only get bad after bad after bad, it's hard to have a good attitude.

So, let's start with the positives... The food is great… really... never had a bad meal, lots of choices and everything had unique flavors.

The beach is gorgeous. Very beautiful. It has some seaweed, but the resort cannot help that...

When you have some spare time, take the tram to Akumal bldg 68 and go out the beach to the little "saltwater pool." There are tons of fish to see, we even saw a squid. The best part of the pool is the fact that the water was COLD... That doesn't seem like much, but it will mean something later in the review.

The beds are comfortable, they have mattress toppers and felt soft. We won't talk about the huge yellow stain on the mattress that we found the last day when my luggage caught the edge of the sheet and pulled it up.

Also, we met several friends while we were there, we made some new friends and enjoyed getting to know them.

Now on to the not-so-good and downright bad. Let me preface this by saying that we have been to Mexico 10 + times. We expect to have some bumps on the road. But this trip was an absolute beating, and the management for this resort is completely to blame.

We paid for the upgrade to the Hacienda, and my travel agent sent them an email asked them about the possibility of being close to the beach. Upon arrival, they told us our bldg was the farthest from the beach. I asked about the possibility about being moved closer sometime, and Diana in the Diamond lobby told me very firmly that requests for buildings are requests, and nothing more. Yeah, I get that... This isn't our first rodeo. So, I asked her if I could request it there and if they could maybe move us on a different day. She told me that that since we had upgraded to a better room, we couldn't move to a lesser room category. I told her I didn't want the money back, just an opportunity to move. Still told me no... OK- message received- don’t upgrade if you want to be closer to the ocean.

So we go to the pool to wait for the rooms to be cleaned. Nice Hacienda pool and pool bar, although the water was very warm... Not cool, warm..

The rooms are ready and we get to the rooms. There is trash in the dresser, the fridge was not restocked and had half drank water in it. I go to the shower to get cleaned up for dinner, and the towels are wet. Not damp as in not dry- wet in spots as in dirty and folded up and put back as clean. Note that towels are dropped off in the morning into hot closets, so a damp towel would have dried or would be damp on the edges. Not wet in spots. They only give you two towels for 2 people, so for us girls with long hair, that won't work. We called and asked for 3 clean towels and handed them the old dirty ones back. Every room that we had down there had a difficulty getting more than 2 towels. You shower down there so many times because it is so hot- you need more than two towels each.

Went to dinner and came back and since the bar was not restocked, we called for drinks. The room was very warm so we called service to see if there was something wrong. The drinks were brought and about 20 minutes later an AC tech knocked on the door. My husband and I are on top of the blankets because it was too hot to get in the bed. The tech walked in, stuck his hand in front of the vent, and said "It works- it's cooling." He then walked over and turned on the huge dehumidifier in the room and left. We had taken a fan with us, so we turned it on and hoped for the best.

We both woke up at 3am, sweating and thirsty. Since none of our drinks were cold, we looked for an ice machine in our building. We found one that was out of commission. So we called the front desk and asked where one was that was working. They told us bldg 35. My husband went to bldg and found the ice machine in 4 pieces. So we called the front desk and someone did bring us some after a while.

They next day, our friends (also staying in the Tulum) went to talk to mgmt about the AC, because all 3 of our rooms were uncomfortably hot. She told them that the thermostats did not work correctly because they didn't change the temperature. The girl at the desk confirmed that the thermostats in the room do not actually control the temperature- that the resort sets the temperature for the rooms with a master control. So if you enjoy that temperature, great, if not it doesn't matter. Our dehumidifier filled up every day, if not twice a day. It was a gallon + once to twice a day. It was not comfortable at all. Also, the first time we dumped it, there was a wrapper from a feminine hygiene article inside the dehumidifier. YUCK!!!!

That night we took a tram (golf cart) to the Oceanus for dinner at Coba. We got about halfway there and the driver stopped and said we would have to get off because he couldn't take us any further. Could you have told us that before we left so we could take a tram all the way to the Coba? This was not a close distance and we were all dressed up. I walk miles a day at home for exercise, but not where I don't know where I am and not all dressed up. We waited on the side of the road in the jungle not knowing where we were until someone else came along and took us the rest of the way.

Coming out from dinner, we caught golf cart and one of the bellmen translated to a "trainee" where we were staying, and he sent us on our way. Still new to the resort and after dark, we were surprised when the trainee left us on the other side of the resort and drove away. I walked to the bellmans desk and asked him if someone could please take me directly to my room. I am pretty sure the only reason he did was because I had tears in my eyes and there were people staring as I told my story.

The next day, we had a camera disappear from our stuff. I went to the lobby to fill out a lost item form. They asked me where I lost it, and then I filled out the form. They then called the "lost and found desk" and asked over a walkie talkie if a pink camera had been found. Without even one second’s hesitation, the answer was "No." They did not have time to consult a list or even look around the room to see if it was there. They said it was all held at one security location, and that's a big hotel. You expect me to believe that you have memorized all lost items in all hotels? I think not...

I went by the next day and had the same response time for the camera. "Have you found a pink camera?" No... They had no time to look...

Later that day, we had gone to our room to take showers. We placed the do not disturb placard on the door and continued to get ready. There was a knock at the door (I was in the shower) and then I heard my husband say "Really- The do not disturb sign is on the door?" and then I heard a woman respond from INSIDE OUR ROOM. She said "do you want the room cleaned?" He said I am in my underwear and her response was do you want the room cleaned or no?" She did not attempt to back out of the room even with my husband undressed. He told her no very firmly and she attempted to hand him towels. (Even though we aren't allowed to have more than 2 towels.)

By this time, we have Funjet involved in this fiasco, and the Funjet rep is trying to do something to help us. He asked what he could do to make this better. We said the only thing that we wanted for all of this was fans for the rooms because they were so hot. My husband never ever slept in the bed, always on top and we would sweat all night long. He said that sounded reasonable and we went to the front desk to ask. The first rep at the desk said no, and wouldn't help. So he left and Julian Chum stepped up. At no point during this discussion with the rep from Funjet, did Mr. Chum smile or show any courtesy whatsoever. He leaned over the desk and glared at Miguel Cuba- the Funjet rep- who was only trying to help. Mr Chum would not speak to me, or answer my questions, only spoke in Spanish to Miguel. Every time I saw him, Chum looked absolutely miserable, never smiled- not once. Long story short, there are no fans and they AC cannot be adjusted. (Even though there are fans all over the resort in nooks and crannies)

So we asked him to check on my lost camera, and he told a young trainee to speak with me, who told me that I HAD NEVER FILLED OUT A LOST CLAIM FORM. He still would not speak to me or look at me- would only talk in Spanish to everyone but me. I have my entire family as a witness to the fact that I filled out a form. The trainee called the lost and found and got the same one-second answer. I told Mr. Chum that there was no WAY that they had any idea if the camera was there because he had not had time to look, and he still just glared and me and would not speak to me. The Funjet rep said I will fill out the form for you and I told him to forget it because I was sick of dealing with this hotel and just wanted to be left alone.

I did get a message from the Funjet rep that the AC would not work if the sensor on the door didn't touch the other part of the sensor. Again, not my first rodeo, been to Mexico many times. I know it won't work, but the door doesn't close correctly so it doesn't really matter.

The mirror in bathroom was cracked and rusted, fixtures are falling off the wall, cords are exposed to electrical outlets, trash still on the floor. I will attach pictures of all to this review.

The birds in the buffet are a true nuisance. We had breakfast one day and they were closing so we went back in to get some fruit. We told the lady we weren't done and not to clear the table. She said ok- not finished and we left. We came back and she was one table over folding napkins and birds were in our food. She just stared at me when I said something.

We went to Mikado on Thursday. We had reservations since Sunday, which were terribly hard to get, only got 2 of the restaurants we wanted and were given two other random ones. We were excited to finally have a good night. We got there and the hostess, Jessica, was very cold and snobby. She sat us about 10 minutes later, but at a regular table. We told her that we had requested Teppanyaki and she said no we didn't. Seriously? Yes, we did. She said well you can't sit there. I told her to find a manager. She did and told her that we had so many problems there... All we wanted was to sit at one the Teppanyaki tables, as requested. There were 3 open that had been open since we got there and could she just please do this one thing? She made several calls and then said she would get it taken care of. I said thanks and went and sat back down. Please note that the whole time I am waiting there, the manager and Jessica are talking back and forth in Spanish and laughing. See the pattern yet?

So a while later another manager came in and said I don't know what you have been told, but we cannot move you. She was very loud. My friend immediately picked up his cell phone and turned on his video camera. I told her that I was going to call management right then. She got louder and demanded to know why we were taping her. They told her it was to post on TA, and she started talking even louder. At this point, since she is right over my shoulder, I told her I was on the phone and she needed to be quiet and put my arm up. She pushed my arm out of the way and told us that she was going to help us but clearly we did not want to be helped.

We decided to ignore the whole thing and eat dinner because- well- what else can you do?? Halfway through dinner, Manager Maxi Agusti came over and says that he is there to make things better. He did not undo all of the bad things that happened, but at least he was nice and listened to all 6 of us tell him what was wrong. First manager to do that down there. He said that for our inconvenience at the resort, he was prepared to offer us the Lobster dinner at Don Pablos the next night, which also happened to be our last night. We accepted that offer, not because it made up for all the chaos, but because it was the only offer to make things better that we had received the entire trip. We finished dinner, generously tipped the poor waiter stuck in the middle of all of this, and left.

The next day we had lunch and invited our Funjet rep to eat with us as he was there at the same time. He was very gracious and joined us, and told us more about how all of it worked. He was very nice and we enjoyed spending a few minutes with him without complaining.

We had dinner our final day at Don Pablos, and it went very well. The service was excellent, as was the food.

For the record, the pools are terribly warm, as noted by all guests. Please, if you go, remember the little "pool" of saltwater by Akumal building 68, as it was the only true cool water there. I only wish we had found it on the first day. One of my friends had a migraine for 4 days of our trip, aggravated by the fact that she could not ever cool down because her room was so hot. I wish we had found that sooner for her.

As noted by other reviews, there is no air in any buffet. I am all about eating outside without AC, but inside with no fans and no AC does not make for a good meal. Either let us eat outside with the ocean breeze like the snack bars, get some fans or turn on the air. Everyone was literally sweating at the table. The only bar with AC is a pay-per-drink location and not included with the All inclusive plan. There is also a casino with AC, and as long as you are gambling, drinks are free.

I get that you don't go to Mexico to sit inside, but occasionally you still need some place cool to relax. And when you can't do that in your room, your only choice is to go out and find someplace..

Really wanted to say thank you for Miguel Cuba from Funjet- he really tried to help us even though the Bahia would have no part of it.

7  Thank LedbetterLodge
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Guest,

The whole Grand Bahia Principe Resort family is grateful that you have taken the time to describe your experience.

We are very concerned to learn about your disappointing experience and are sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your expectations. We have already taken action in order to meet our values again.

Please be assured that we have addressed your letter to every manager in order to take measures as we always strive for excellence in service. We will do our outmost and work to improve your next experience with us, if you can give us another change to restore the confidence in our chain by writing us a mail of your requests and wishes a few weeks before arrival and it will be our pleasure to help you in the best possible way.

We appreciate the time in leaving us your comments.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Was always a dream to go to Mexico and it lived up to that title. Couldn't have asked for more from the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum. The room was as expected, clean, spacious with everything you needed with a very large, comfy bed and air con. The service was outstanding right form house keeping, reception, buffet, restaurants, bar staff. Buffet food so good we only took advantage of two of our allocated a la cartes, one being Don Pablo - outstanding. We were close to the beach which was much nicer than paradise beach near Tulum ruins and yes you can always get s sun lounger. The transport around the complex was also fantastic and part of the all inclusive. Suits all: relax if you want to, swim in the lovely pools, snorkelling was fab, kayaking, shops, market, entertainment including nightclub which isn't near accommodation, just a five minute cart ride away. Trip to Chichen Itza and Xe=Hal well worth money. Haven't got anything negative to say about the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum.
TIP - if you want to see the Tulum ruins walk to main road, you get asked if you want a taxi constantly, wait for the local bus its only 70 pesos!

Room Tip: our room was close to the beach and we never had one disturbed nights sleep, don't think it matt...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lois357

Dear Lois,

We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you. Your lovely words are greatly appreciated as we are certain your review will prove invaluable to other travelers.

We are proud to have met your expectations, and more. Your comments about our staff is a big motivation to keep working with a positive attitude every day

Hope to see you soon back for another "Dream Holiday"

Bahia Principe Tulum

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Love this place been twice now Christmas and new year going back this year with a mate and can't wait staff where fantastic in every way and Felix the sub director is so helpful and friendly and be nice to see him and all the good staff and lovely food see you on the 29.12.14

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Micky H

Dear Mickey,

We feel really happy to read your kind remarks in regards of your second visit to our hotel.

On behalf of all the staff of the Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort, we want to express our appreciation for the time you took to write and describe your appreciations

We will be glad to see you again for Christmas.

Best wishes.

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Tulum? Share your experiences!