“Heavenly Days, Hard Nights” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Las Villas Akumal

Las Villas Akumal
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Wellington, Florida
“Heavenly Days, Hard Nights”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is a hard review to write. On one hand, it was a tremendous value, but we were placed in one of the basement rooms with no chance to upgrade as it was sold out. Had we been in an ocean front room, I am sure we would have experienced a much better stay. Also, as a couple, it doesn't seem right to pay for a three bedroom suite to have an ocean view. If only the architect had built some oceanfront one bedrooms. My husband really disliked it more than me and after 3 days of his !@#ing, I had to tell him to shut it! He was ruining my vacation. Basically he summed it up as this - and this is for the basement rooms: "Imagine we were just married and I had a very bad job and this was our first apartment". As I have told him all our 40 years - I could be happy in a tent..........as long as I was happy.

Well, even the basement was much better than a tent. My first impression was how immaculately clean the room was. We have stayed in true 5 star resorts not as clean as this property. The staff works very hard, and you will always see painting, cleaning, landscaping, pressure cleaning in progress. Some of the staff is distant. Some are truly heart warming and endearing. No pressure here, no judgment- pure relaxation. No makeup - no fancy clothes, no curlers. It's a haven for throwback 60 hippies and millionaires. I met plenty of the latter- it was obvious in the people I mingled with. Well traveled, well educated fellow guests.
It would be nice if management held a once a week dinner and charged for it to create a gathering of the guests - tables on the lawn. Guests are left to their own charisma to interact and it's no problem for me and I did meet some very wonderful people.

The rooms come complete with a 5 gallon refillable water cooler (non potable water here) and I never got sick - yay, because usually I do. Also, dish soap, and all cotainers and dishes - no hairdryers. We brought some staples from home and I wish I had brought more. We did not have a car and didn't miss one. The 20 minute slow walk to Akumal is easy if you're in decent health. It's a short walk to the highway for a collective Snorkeling was fantastic. You will want beach shoes here. Half of the walk to Akumal is on very rocky sand and the resort itself faces a rocky beach entry. Walk 75 paces to the right and there is a sandy entrance with lots of pockets of Caribbean blue waters. We bought some groceries at the Akumal Grocery store which should be renamed "Highway Robbery". Bread, a small box of spaghetti, Ragu, Package each of cheese, salami, sliced ham, can of soup, hotdogs, mango juice, and aspirin I forgot came to $70 American. One plastic bag worth. It lasted us for the week though, along with lunch at the Loncheria and dinner at Turtle Café and Bakery. $20 and $16 . Happy hour with 2 for I prices (4-6) at Turtle Bakery and Café is the best. Both served good food.

Why 3 stars? My first 3 nights were miserable on a very hard bed. I didn't sleep at all. The bed is my only real complaint - and they are new beds!! If I knew they no longer had egg crates I would have taken my own and it would have made a world of difference. I seemed to be the only one complaining, thinking most people must like it hard, but after viewing an ocean front room, they had much better beds. Some guests I met left me their leftover groceries and I paid it forward and left mine to a wonderful couple staying there 2 months.

Renting a car was not cost effective for us as we had a long stay, and this was our last stop. USA transfers (our choice) will make an hour stop at a major grocery store for $30. Most Taxis will do the same. We arranged our taxi back to the airport through Las Villas and we got a very good rate at 800 pesos. My last three days at Las Villas, were tranquil, reflective, almost transcending. I came home pain free after a long medical battle. Would I return? You bet- only in an oceanfront room and according to my husband, when I am a widow. Grumpy McGrumperson wanted to try non inclusive and I think this was a fabulous and economical choice.

This would be a fabulous resort for families, family reunions, groups where everyone parties together. Not for honeymooners.

The included breakfast was very good and filling. Yogurts, fresh fruits, rolls, pancakes, French toast, cereals and juices. Eggs cooked to order available for 70 pesos and up. Good drinks at the poolside bar also. Though we have a bigger pool at home (grumpy's complaint) it was pristine and never crowded even with sold out rooms.

Also, light the stove by pressing the "lightning" icon at the same time you push in on the burner thing. If the microwave short circuits, the circuit breaker is behind a picture on the wall. Take plenty of ziplocks and fill with ice from the ice cube trays. Make ice for your bubba kegs or glasses (take these) by filling paper cups 1/2 full from the cooler. The basement room sucked, but we had the best wifi - the main router was in our room. The basement rooms also have tvs older than us and if my husband hadn't bee able to hook up his movie download system the nights would have been really bad. No moon over the ocean in the basement. Don't look at the ceiling - then you really know you're in the basement, especially with a support beam running through the room.

Hey - I still liked it- would have loved an ocean front room.

Room Tip: Don't accept a basement room/ there are one bedrooms on the 2nd or third level, but you have to...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lazygal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed here with a friend in March 2011. Hotel was beautiful but not near much. The hotel restaurant closes early and the only few dinner options are down the beach in town which is about a 20 min walk. The cab drivers in town, which is tiny, tried to charge us $10 to go 5 minutes down the road. I'm from NYC and not scared by high prices but it was a rip off. The rooms and grounds are beautiful and the staff is nice but the beaches are rocky and you are not really able to swim. It is about 25 minutes from playa de Carmen and you can easily grab a shared van on the highway. I would recommend this hotel for families who would like to grocery shop and stay put to save money.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JeanineMadeline
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

These villas are tranquil and have direct access to the beach. The waters in front of the villas are a little dangerous with some sharp underwater rocks and subject to strong tides. This is beneficial however, because it keeps the tourists from other resorts away, making the place peaceful. Still, if you want the traditional beach, a 10 minute walk to the north takes you to some beaches with soft sand that are great for swimming in.

The villas themselves are well laid out, with everything you might need. The hotel offers breakfast and will run to the supermarket for you (for a fee) but we brought our own food. The kitchen is a good size as are the bedrooms.

The facilities do include a nice grassy area as well as a mid-sized unheated pool. The iguanas that roam the grounds do not bite, but they look scary the first time they approach you looking for a snack.

The place has direct access to the highway but the grounds are large enough that you do not hear any road noise. Nearby, you will find Tulum and lots of famous cenotes.

Room Tip: As each villa is privately owned, some of the owners lock the closet doors so they can store their p...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mr Q
Merida, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

My husband and I spend much of our time in The Yucatan. We chose this fabulous find of a hotel to spend the final days of a family vacation. We rented two junior suites for three generations ranging in age from 1 - 65+. The accommodations were pristinely kept, the staff incredibly helpful, the little pool was perfect for toddlers. The reef just to the right of the hotel beach is abundant with wildlife. In fact, the snorkeling in front of this hotel is far better than that off the famous Akumal Bay beach! The iguanas are plentiful here, too, and they enjoyed being fed by the small children. As a bonus, in the dark of night, we had the pleasure of watching a huge turtle come out of the ocean, dig her nest and return to the ocean...a forever memory! This hotel is definitely on our "return to" list.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank EMTLyn
Spokane, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I enjoyed four nights at Las Villas Akumal and loved our experience! The 1 bedroom villa had a spacious bedroom, bathroom, living area and kitchen. We found the kitchen to be well equipped and well designed. The king size bed was really comfortable! However, we spent very little time in our villa. We enjoyed the continental breakfasts and ocean view offered at the Villa's restaurant. Most of our time was spent poolside, beachside, or snorkeling. Loved the poolside bar! Ocean kayaks and snorkel gear can be checked out for free! We also snorkeled in the main Akumal Bay where we saw about 20 sea turtles. One night after dark we sat in the Villa's lounge chairs and watched two giant sea turtles come ashore and lay their eggs. The volunteers let us view them quietly up close and the next morning marked the nests to help protect them. One of my favorite quirky things about the resort were the iguanas! They sunbathe in the lawn and are very harmless, and shy away from people if approached. Reminded me a little of the brown squirrels of the Pacific Northwest! The resort is quite secluded, which was fine for us. We had a rental car and were able to get around easily, but without a car I think it would be difficult to get groceries, beer, and experience other areas in Akumal. The staff was friendly and helpful, gardens and grounds well kept, and maid service outstanding. I would definitely return!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen C
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We spent 5 days in Akumal in the hotel Las Villas.

The accomodation is very nice, very comfortable, all the rooms have a small kitchen.

Continental breakfast is good with fresh fruits and fresh bread.

The swimming pool is perfect for the kids.

Staff is really friendly and helpfull and dedicated to answer all your questions and solve any problem.

The best atraction is the beach of the hotel where turtles are coming during the night to nest.

Ideal location and accomodation for families.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank stephadry
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a night and thought it was going to be a super average experience. We were surprised at how spacious and clean our room was with fridge, water dispenser, mini kitchenette and dining area. While our major gripe was with the people staying next door who had the TV blaring and children running amok until midnight (noise carries badly), we did have a few other minor annoyances. We had to run the water for quite some time for it to heat up and for those who like to sit on the royal thrown for their morning ritual or are a little modest - be warned it's not tightly sealed. ;) These minor things didn't bother us but maybe they would you?!

Room Tip: We had 208A with a comfortable king bed. It has air con and fans. It's a great space.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple