Grand Bahia Principe Coba
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
14,262 results
All reviewspremier lobbycozumel buffetle gourmeta la cartesfishgolden lobbysnack barplaya del carmenquiet poolakumal beachshow tablemichael jackson showmain buffetother resortsgreat resortdon pabloactivity pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Going to try and keep this brief so here goes... Went with a total of 11 people and all of us agreed that overall this trip was great and all would return. Was at Coba from 9th until 16th of September so the weather was hot, hot, hot and the pool and ocean were very warm. Couple things to watch for is how slippery it is entering the pool, even using the stairs you must use caution ( i knew it was slippery and even holding the rail wiped out and whacked my elbow hard) and the beach area (as you enter the ocean) well it is not without its share of rocks, so be prepared to step on a few.
The food at the buffet was ok, not as good as we had hoped for as some of have stayed at resorts in Mexico before and felt the buffet at Coba was a little below average. We had 3 A la carte - Pescador (not recommended - service was the worse) Le Gourmet (great service and great food) and La Gran Tortuga (come hungry for great tasting meat).
The one thing you have to do when you visit and stay at any part of the resort is stop by the lobby at Coba and say hi to Lorenzo. This guy was great, so pleasant and helpful, he was always smiling and offering assistance. We had any question about the resort or going into Playa Del Carmen Lorenzo was the man to ask. He will be at the top of the stairs in the lobby helping out with Spa reservations and Privledge Club info but is not the pushy type, just a genuine nice guy who is there to help so stop by and say Ray and Clara say hi from Toronto.
The rest of the staff is very good as well, the entertaining staff work hard at the pool during the day and the evening outside the buffet prior to the evening shows. The ground crew works as hard as is evident by how good the grounds are kept, clean and well manicured. Of course the rest of the staff, cleaning personel, staff that work the buffet, staff at the front desk and anyone else I may miss all work hard and a big thanks goes out to you for making this trip very pleasant.
The one big negative was we went during Mexico`s independence festival which they were celebrating on the weekend and I am not sure if they open the resort to locals every weekend but we were told that this weekend was not the normal due to the festival. We went from a normal relaxing time at buffet or pool during the week to a hectic madhouse on Saturday and Sunday. It was like shopping at the mall in the middle of June compared to shopping the last day before Christmas, totally opposite.
Overall we all would recommend Gran Bahia Principe Coba and will most likely return.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank raymess59
SubDirectorGBPC, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Dear 'raymess59',

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your time and your recognition for our staff member, Lorenzo. It makes us proud to read that he provided you with excellent service throught your stay.

Thank you for your input and also for your comment which will be considered and taken as material to improve for next year's Independance day.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Let me start off by saying I don't ever write reviews even though I have been to many resorts, but I think a few things need to be set straight about this resort and some of the negative opinions people have.

This resort is nothing less then OUTSTANDING, A resort is a resort but it's the people that make the difference and the service you receive, and the service here is nothing short from amazing. I went to the coba for my 40th birthday and Louis (customer service manager) went out of his way to make sure my experience was nothing less then amazing (and he was successful). The food at the Don Paublo,Mikido, and le Gourmet was very good and I was impressed, the rooms were very clean and the atmosphere was lovely. YES this resort is very large, but that does not mean you have to travel all over (read a map) it will make things much easier, really if you pay attention to the map it's easy to navigate around. If someone is reading this review and is hesitating on booking their trip, don't hesitate and second guess yourself because there are a few people that it seems nothing would make them happy, this is my second time at this resort and I am sure I will go again and I never go to a resort more then once so that in it's self should speak volumes. Thanks to the staff at the coba for a wonderful birthday.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank angela r
SubDirectorGBPC, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear 'angela r',

Thank you very much for your comment and for finding this way back to us.

It will be a pleasure for myself to informing my colleague about your recognition and it makes us proud to read that he provided you with outstanding service while going the extra mile.

We will be looking forward to meeting you back here,

My best regards,

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed here from sept. 4th to the 14th. This was my 7th time in Mexico. This resort was by far the biggest in size, after a few days it got tireing walking anywhere, I.E. lobby, buffet, pool, yes there are trams that will take you around, but who wants to wait 5 or 10 minutes each time for a tram to come to take you where you want to go while you are on vacation. The beach is not near by, you must take a tram or it is a 15 minute walk. The sand was nice and the water was clear but very very rocky. { water shoes are a must}. Staff on the resort were hit and miss. {we spent over 200$ in tips over the 10 days} .Entertainment crew were boring and not engaging at all, they would start a game, then leave for 20 minutes then come back and ask what the score was then leave again for another 20 minutes. They would walk by you no smile or even an hola.
The food. The ala cartes were hit and miss. The medeterainean was not good at all, japonese was ok, gourmet was good, although the gourmets restos are very hard to get reservations at.{ tip, if you go, book your restos before you leave}. The gourmet restos are the only ones with airconditioning. The buffet was not good at all, same food everday and of a very poor quality, meats were VERY tough that you could not cut them let alone chew them, the pizzas were uneadibale, and desserts were tasteless. If you go hope you LOVE chicken,because that is what you will probably be eating alot during your stay. Service was also not very good, as you will have to ask multiple times for drinks. By the way you only get 3 ala cartes for 7 day stay, 4 for ten day, and 6 for 2 weeks, so you will be eating at the buffet often or like us go to playa del carmen 30 minutes away for supper, at your cost of course. There are two snack bars but like the buffet are repetitive and not good.
Now on to the evening entertainment. Shows were good, but they ended at 11 pm, so if you wanted to continue your evening you had to go to the hacienda { by tram of course } for a 1 hour live band then only the disco is open as the resort shuts down, no bars are open.
Another thing that we found, was that there is nowhere to go and escape from the heat apart from your room, so after a day at the pool or beach sitting in the sun and you wanted to cool off your out of luck, and believe me with the heat you too will be looking for somewhere to cool down other than your room.
On a positive note, the resort is clean and well manicured. Rooms are clean large,no bugs, stocked mini fridge, flat screen tv with many english channels and good reception, also AC worked well, no complaints here.
In summary, because of the fore mentioned reasons i will not return to this resort nor can i recommend it to anyone. Sorry Coba.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank beachesmontreal

Dear 'beachesmontreal',

First of all I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your effort and for your time.

We are thankful that you have choosen your holiday vacation at our hotel, Gran Bahia Principe Coba, though it has caught our eye that you experienced an inconvenience. We will make sure that all our Department Managers are getting involved and demonstrate a clear reaction on your feedback. Therefore we will focus on the efficiency on our transportation system and the quality of the shows. Among others our Animation Manager will be reviewing his daily procedures.

We appreciate your comment and thank you for taking your valuable time. Feedback is what makes us better, and more competitive. Therefore be ensured we will be taking it very serious in order to improve us immediately.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Hi folks. I just came back from a two week vacation at GBP from september 2nd to sept 16th. This place is amazing. Food wise there are Plenty of them. You should definitively try the a la carte restaurant it is truly like going to a real restaurant except you only have to tip... You could also go to any of the 3 buffets from coba, tulum or akumal. There almost the same but you will find different food in them. I specially like the coba buffet and got to meet nice staff in particular waiters named Miguel and Omar. They would run to get your drink, refill your glass of water, beer, soda etc. tip them good!! However all the staff from GBP are nice in general. In my 14 days I only encountered a bad service from a waiter from the tortuga a la carte restaurant. Waiter named Adrian. Would not smile, would not stare or pay attention to you when you talk to him. We were very surprised that he would work in a a la carte restaurant. Maybe he had a bad day but that was the only time I didn't not tip. I usually leave. Tip of $2 usd for buffet and 10 for a la carte but that surely did not earn a dime so I left after my meal. Waiters T the lobbies are very nice as well. Will automatically come to you when you are sifted and would ask you if you needed a drink. The cart drivers are all nice in my two weeks stay. Always friendly and very receptive even though my lack of knowledge in Spanish. Room lady was definitively a pearl. She should know that we would usually go to out after lunch so she would have our room cleaned in the afternoon and even made sure I was okay with it. They refill the fridge with snacks, drinks and beer. Wow what service!!
Location wise , we were in coba so a bit of a walk to the beach. So I didn't really go there. I stayed at the iguana pool which is the jacuzzi. Three of them and nobody goes there. So very very quiet which we like. Only thing is a bit of a walk to quiet pool to get your drinks but a 150 meters walk to lose those extra calories won't hurt!!
If I only have one bad thing to say it's about those privilege club salesperson. They act like sharks in a pool of fish. They are overly aggressive will taunt you and borderline insult you. They will be trying to sell you timeshare. Go ahead if you wish to spend $12000. Yes and when you refuse they bring down the price to $3000... And most importantly they will invite themselves to join you for breakfast after which they bring you to a room and you would lose half a day listening to their sale pitch. Don't know about you guys but if you go there for seven days you have no time to lose half a day by aggressive salesperson. Enough said about them, I am sure you can google and type timeshare gran Bahia Principe you will find a whole forum on them.
Cleanliness: wow this hotel is spotless!!! They do take their time to clean everything. Funny thing is I had time to waste and was a bit drunk so I decided to visit the men's bathroom T any give lobbies. They are spotless!! Very clean!!!
Well if you intend to stay there, go ahead it's really worth the money!! Hope you enjoyed my review!!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Johnlennon78

Dear 'Johnlennon78',

Herewith I would like to say 'Thank you' for your email and for contacting us through tripadvisor.com

It makes us proud to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we also appreciate the comments you left us. Referring your experience at the Brazilian restaurant I would like to guarantee you that we will be taken the necessary actions in order to keep providing an excellent service on the top level. Also the Privilege Club will be informed about your thoughts.

For us it will be a pleasure to welcoming you back to our beautiful hotel,

Reviewed 16 September 2012

This was a third trip to Mexico , Always been to Riu hotels in Playa Carr. We wish we had gone back.

The hotel Gran Bahia Pricipe Coba was far to big. even though we paid extra for club we found this held no weight at all. The hotel was so big the buffet was like a carry on film. could never get tea or a waiter . There was many mornings when we got to the beach that none of the bars had any drink machines working!!!! in the boiling sun no drinks . Staff very unfriendly (never thought i would say that in Mexico).

The area was not for us could not walk any where as everything was miles away.

The beach was stony and there was workers there every day putting new sand down sea had huge sand bags in it so you could not swim out which is a great shame as if you stayed 20 mins down the road playa carr you would be able to swim in the most beautiful sea i have ever seen.

As i said before GUTTED i spent over £6500 for my family to go to this hotel when there are cheaper ones 20 mins away with friendly staff and great areas to walk and fantastic seas.

Did not feel this hotel should have as many stars as it had and staff should go on a customer service training.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank winterfamily2010

Dear 'winterfamily2010',

On behalf of the entire team I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comment and for your time.

We understand that you have been satisfied with the size of our complex, and we are very sorry about the experienced inconvenience. Be ensured we will be reviewing our operations in regards to the service. Though referring the facilities and the size of the hotel please note that this is general information outlined by the travel agencies and our homepage.

Once again, thank you for your time and for your effort,

We will be honored to welcoming you back here!