“Very Nice Hotel, but get a Mattress Pad”

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 14 April 2008

Stayed for 8 nights ( April 5-13 ) in the Premier section of Coba. We were in Villa 26A which was very close to the Coba quiet pool, where we spent most of our time. As others have said I did get up at 5:00 every morning to reserve the chairs, but that was not a big deal for me since I am an early riser.

We were very pleased with the overall resort, drinks, food, pools, service, beach, al a cartes, etc. No issues at all. We did prefer the Cozumel Buffet since it was a bit quieter than the larger ones.

Did Tulum on our own with cab $20 each way & had a very nice & very safe driver in a a/c cab who waited for us.

Also did the Turtle Reef with the resort $45, which was really a lot of fun to see those BIG turtles ~ 2 meters, along with baracuda, stingrays, & plenty of fish. Since it was only me I thought this was a good deal, for 2+ people, could be a lot of money.

Many thanks for all the Tips I got before we left, they were extremely helpful.

This was our first overnight trip to Mexico & the Very hard beds were a surprise. Therefore any back or joint issues...Please get a mattress pad.

Finally, a special Thanks to Skier/Steve for the mattress pad tip.

Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jim007
There are newer reviews for Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Reviewed 13 April 2008

I was referred to this hotel by a friend who came with us. I had stayed at the Barcelo Maya Colonial last year. The Barcelo blew the Principe away due to 1 very important thing.....the Bahai had NO AIRCONDITIONING in any- repeat- any restaurants, lobbies etc. It was over 30 degrees in every restaurant including the a la cartes!!!!! The rest of the resort, although spread apart, was up to par and beautifiul but the only respite from the heat was in the room. They also dont have fans in the washrooms so all the humidity stayed in the rooms and made the beds etc moldy and damp. It was mixed feeling because the service people and resort were fantastic but those 2 small details actually precluded eating multiple times due to excessive heat!!! Try wearing long pants etc in th a la carte in 36 degrees!!!

Will never travel again without confirming air conditioning availibility!!! Barcelo gets my business any day.

Andrew

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank kenya54
Reviewed 13 April 2008

After searching many hotels for months on different websites, we finally booked last minute for the Coba. Flying with Skyservice from Ottawa, we landed late at night in Cancun. took a well organized bus to Mayan. long bus ride but with beer offered who can complain? A little over an hour ride, (we were one of the last hotels to drop off) we arrived at Coba. Immediately sent to the Golden V.I.P reception area. We were greeted by smiling people (loved Signor Melchor)and a nice glass of champagne. Fast check-in. Room was very clean. Good beds and amazing bathrooms. Marble floors, better shower head than in my own home!!
Food was amazing at ALL places we went to. Never been to a resort that offers Bloody Mary's and Mimosa for breakfast. Very delicious to start your day!! Pools were not so busy but as everyone mentioned here, get there early and put your towels down. It's a sad towel game but worth it to wake up early!!
Best food all week was @ PortoFino! Much thanks to CRAZY FELIX (manager) and all the staff who made our evening so amazing!! if you can get the "crazy felix" drink, ask him!! it's awesome! The worst food.. Le Gourmet.. HORRIBLE!! service was terrible, food overdone and not one waiter smiled the whole time we were there. Mikado was great for the show. Our waiter was terrible. I think it was his first shift and everything was mixed up but good experience overall.. The buffet had to many choices, I don't think i ever ate the same food twice ever!! See Jeronimo if you can.. he makes a killer "spanish coffee!!" (little coffee LOTS OF BOOZE!!)The Casita snack bar was always fresh. They have the best guacomole I have ever tasted!!
All in all, I can go on and on and how amazing this trip was for 3 single 30"ish" girls looking for a relaxing break from the cold Canadian weather. Can't say enough good things about it. email me for any more details. You won't be disappointed!! Can't wait to go back again!! Buenos dias!!

4  Thank 1stClassLadies
Reviewed 10 April 2008

My wife, two kids and I spent the week of April 1-8 at the GBP Coba.
The resort is huge, actually larger than the town that we live in.
Being first timers at the Coba it took us a day or so of walking around with a map trying to get the " lay of the land" after that we found it easy to get around.I titled my review " vacation factory" because of the sheer size of the place and the number of people they can accomodate at one time, it's very impressive!

1.Food: The buffets were good, not as good as the Riu, but you could always find something to your liking.Breakfast was the best, the fruit selection was outstanding at all buffets.The snack bars were just OK. The ala carte restaurants were very good.Our favorite was the Mikado, good food and very entertaining, the Dolce Vita was very good as well.The service at all of the ala cartes was great.
2.Drinks: Very good bartenders, just ask and they'll do their best to accomodate!Liked taste testing the flavored tequila, I was partial to the coconut.
3.Grounds and Buildings: Very well manicured, everything is spotless.The rooms are very nice as well as the furnishings.The pools and surrounding areas are awesome.As others have stated, they do play the " towel game" so don't be shocked if all the loungers around the pool are taken by 7 am.
4.Beach: We enjoyed the beach area, did lots of snorkeling and swimming, there are some rocky areas but not an issue for us.The kids wore water shoes but I didn't, never bothered my feet at all.Brought our own snokel gear, saw lots of cool fish.
5.Day Trips: The only outside trips were to Tulum to see the Ruins and beach,$20 cab ride, go early before it gets too hot!And we caught a cab to Akumal Beach,$10 fare, great snorkeling with lots of big fish and sea turtles.

Overall we had a wonderful stay, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star rating is because they have room to improve the snack bars and buffets,I'm certainly not saying that they are bad, just that they could be better.I would recomend this resort to anyone, if you don't enjoy your stay here it's your own fault!!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
7  Thank TJay63
Reviewed 7 April 2008

We went to Gran Bahi Principe Akumal from Mar.25/08 Apr.1/o8.
We were very impressed with the resort,stayed at the golden,service was great .Very clean and well kept witch is top priority with us.As we went for a relaxing vaction ,we only went to Playa del Carman ,good shopping.

We found the food was very good at Akumal buffet and service quite good ,lots of variety.there was only one small problem we could only get 3 al cartes and were suppose to have 4.I would recommend this vaction to any one we were well pleased and it was what we were expecting.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
5  Thank sunny013
Reviewed 6 April 2008

Spent 10 days at the Coba (3/27-4/6/08), with my wife.
We got to experience this resort at full capacity for the first 3 days
before it returned to a moderate level for the last 7 days.
Check in at the premiere was a breeze. The room was ready
at 12:30pm. We didn't get the quiet pool view room that we requested, but we did get building 25 and on the 3rd floor.
Originally we were on the first floor but I asked if to be changed and there was no problem. Because we booked through Apple
vacations they waived the safe key deposit. Other people we talked to at the resort said they were upgraded to premiere status just because they booked with Apple.
It was Easter break for the Midwest USA and parts of Canada.
Though it was hectic, the only problem was playing the towel game in the morning at the beach and at the swimming pools.
You had be out there by 6:00am just to get a spot (Earlier for a
prime location). On Sunday 3/30 I got up at my usual 5:30am
(I'm an early bird), and to my surprise there were no towels on
anything until at least 7:00am. It stayed that way for the rest of
the vacation.
All the reviews here on the trip advisor are pretty acurate.
The grounds are imaculate, The swimming pools are very
well organized and spread out in strategic spots throughout
the resort. The buffets are plentiful with food, and I never had a problem getting bacon. Even when it was out, 10 minutes later
there was another tray being put out at the buffet. The ala cart
food was above average (I'm not a picky eater) the buffet food
was average except breakfast, that was spectacular. Pizza at the
snack bar was good, not great, but good.
We gave the resort 4 of 5 rating because of the beach.
The swimming was not good unless you snorkeled. We knew this coming in so it was not a problem for us. The plus was the
swing bar at the Akumal beach, Angel is a heck of a bartender.
He definetly tells stories, and I'm almost sure it is his birthday at
least once a week (you want to be there that day), but he is a good soul. So go down and get in the swing there.
Ala Carts
We ate at 5 of them.Here are our ratings for them.
They were all good but some stuck out better than others.
1.) Le gourmet good filet mignon, good service
2.) Maykabo average food, great entertainment and service
3.) La Grand Tortuga good steaks, good service
3.) Pescador good food, the best boom boom teguila on hte resort
5.) Arlequin average food, average service
If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank tfs5815
Reviewed 6 April 2008

I went to BP Tulum 6 yrs ago and loved it and was keen to return.
To be quick - Premier room great, maid great, minibar serviced every day. Grounds great - really clean almost a Disneyland pristine quality . I quite enjoyed seeing a lone ketchuppy plate jammed into a hedge once.
Coba Animation Team excellent - worked from 8 am to after midnight sometimes just to keep guests happy - and they did. I should know - I loved dancing with them to the live band. These people are fabulous dancers and if you love to salsa or dance other fancy latin moves- or even if you just like to dance - don't miss this chance. Have a nap in the early evening if you must (I did). Special mention goes to Cazanova - who was a great all round performer - but also to Shani, Chubacca, Babyface, Chocolattei,Joseph, J.lo,Montero - they really made our stay. One exception was the Team Manager, Jorge (or Bow Wow) who was curt and dismissive to my daughter and another smaller girl in a silly game. He left her feeling upset and humiliated. If you don't fancy this sort of treatment, avoid games with him.
Food was ok to start with but I struggled with it as time went on after 3 stomach upsets. Breakfast great, fruit, fresh bread, seeds and loads more, lunch ok - but dinner I found difficult and eventually ended up choosing the plainest, blandest food. As a vegetarian, A-la-cartes that were good were The Portofino - great appetisers section - possibly the best veggie food on the complex, Antonio, the head waiter was lovely. Mediteraneo -good. Dolce Vita and Tequilla we did not rate. The Tequilla served us a vegetarian fahita filled with a chinese type stir fry - beanshoots and all! Yuck. Should I come again, I might do a bit of shopping in PDC Walmart and put a few things in the minibar fridge for when I wanted to eat differently.The complex really does need to develop a more sophisticated menu for people who do not wish to eat meat all the time.
Despite this couple of niggles - the thing that really made our stay special was the people. The staff were so friendly, going out of their way to chat and make jokes. It really did feel like they were truly pleased to see you (in the buffet, on the train, in the reception - wherever). Another special mention for Renan in the Iguana Jacuzzi bar. He played great music, encouraged people to top up drinks and was playful. Happy afternoons were spent lolling about there.
When we left, my daughter cried because she did not want to go home and she was comforted by a sweet, concerned man on the reception. That's what I call a good holiday.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family