We went at the end of November mainly because of the travel deal with Transat. This was our second visit at Coba and our fourth on a GBP property. We like our holiday experience at GBP properties and usually choose this brand over other properties. We stayed a week although we did meet other couples who were staying two weeks.
We had a Royal Golden room in the Coba section. These villas are all relatively close to a main buffet, snack buffet, and pools. If you have children under 7 along on your trip, Coba is the place to have a room as this section is the only section with a water area for pre-schoolers. This includes a large adventure splash area with slides, bridges, and water spouts. Parents can relax in lounges under a pergola while supervising their kids. Just steps away there is a small splash pool (water comes up to kids knees) for ease of mind water play for toddlers. This kids' area has piped in Disney kids music, but at a low level. The washrooms at this kids' pool area have toilets and sinks adjusted for the height of kiddies. This splash pool area is located right beside an activity pool. So if there are older children in the family, they can enjoy the water sports, water games, and exercises offered here as well as swimming around the large pool while still being in your eye view. Inflatables are offered for sale at some of the beach stands. There is a first aid attendant at this pool area. A snack area which offers hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, chicken bites, tortilla chips, salad offerings, desserts, and ice cream and drinks is available here as well. Adults, wanting a quieter pool area with no activities or children, have a selection of areas available in the Coba section too. We had no problem at the end of November with getting a lounger around the pool areas even though we often waited until after breakfast (mid-morning) to select one.
The Golden rooms are larger in size than the hotel rooms offered in the Tulum section, but after seeing a room in Tulum I would not hesitate to book a room in that section. We liked the free in-room safe that came with the Golden status, and the free use of a computer in the special Golden Club area.
The Tulum section has a Dolphinarium/Swim with the Dolphins pool. For a fee ($80-$120US), kids and adults can give commands to the 5-8 dolphins to do "tricks". It was fun to watch and take pictures poolside for free.
The trolleys do an excellent job of taking guests between sections in the resorts. One look at our wrist bands, however, was enough for the Sian Kaan trolley driver to tell us we were not allowed to go there to look around. We had considered booking a room there, but after seeing its location (on the other side of the highway), we were glad we were closer to the ocean. It is, after all, a golfing community.
The beach is similar to a big U curve with mainly GBP surrounding it. We didn't come across any locals trying to sell stuff to people on the loungers. While the loungers are laid out in rows under palapas umbrellas, we always found some loungers that were spaced further apart and away from the noisy, active water sports programs. These areas are usually at the far ends of the Akumal and Tulum beach areas. The white sand is a joy to walk on which you can for a few miles. The water varies from calm to surf so choose your preference. I didn't find many small coral chunks in the water where I waded so water shoes, IMO, are not necessary. If you are on the beach, there is more of a walk for food, drinks, and restrooms than if you are situated around a pool area. There even is an area set aside for wedding ceremonies right at the beach. Very romantic, not rustic at all.
We enjoyed all our meals except the one night it poured. The rain came through the roof in spots at the a la carte restaurant we were in (El Pescador) so that staff had to move tables around, mop up floors, etc. To make our meals something to look forward to we ate at different buffets, snack bars, and a la carte restaurants on the property. We liked the BBQ on the patio at the Tulum snack area where the meats (hamburger patties, steak, chicken) were hot off the grill. I thought the food at the kids' section at the main buffets was presented very attractively. The peanut butter sandwiches had faces on them, the hard boiled eggs were decorated like snowmen. I liked the Healthy section food (fruit, juices, veggies, protein without sauces); the Mexican section and the other buffet areas where there was always something interesting to eat with lots of selection even among the protein trays. My favorite tray was the Spinach cheese ravioli.. .so yummy with freshly grated cheese on top. The chefs do chicken dishes very well, too. I selected a different protein each night to make the meal special. Of course, at breakfast there is the usual line up at the Egg Station.
We know what to expect at a GBP property. We like the total experience...the food, the accommodation, the pools, the sand, the ocean, and, of course, the warm weather. The staff are friendly...holas abound!.. but they also speak English. Definitely a third floor room would be quieter than a first or second floor room, but if guests below or above you are quiet these rooms are quiet too. We just took the room that was given to us and I don't know how difficult it would be to make a room change or when to ask for a particular room if you book through a company like Transat. At the end of November no mossies were around. The only thing that bugged me was the quality of the hand towels. They felt like bath mats rather than soft fluffy towels. Amenities in the bathroom are plentiful and even include face cloths. We both enjoyed the use of a whirlpool/jacuzzi/jetted bathtub in our bathroom!
We look forward to our next trip to the Mexican Riviera at the GBP.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 lake-style pools, 3 Jacuzzis, large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers, pool and beach towel service, BAHIA SPA (additional charge). Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles, motorized sports (additional charge), water activity centre, entertainment amphitheater. WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge), buffet restaurant, 4 a la carte restaurants, 8 bars, 2 snack bars. Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed, sitting area with sofa, fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bathtub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer, bathroom amenities. Balcony or terrace, air conditioning, ceiling fan, telephone, radio alarm clock, flat screen satellite TV, mini-bar, coffee-making facilities, safe (additional charge), ironing set, terrace, Wifi. Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites, the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite; bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay, children's bath kit, welcome basket with sweets, mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children, two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites), Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, LoveHolidays, getaroom.com, Stayforlong S.L. and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya, Mexico - Akumal