“Wonderfull”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Great experience, great resort! I spend a nice time with family and friends. The children's activities were nice too. The food, pools, bars and people in there are very good. I recommend this hotel to spend your vacations!

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Anjaqui
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback about your stay with us.

We are delighted to read that you spent a very good time with your family and friends enjoying the food, pools, bars, staff and children's activities.

It is a pleasure to contribute into your wonderful holiday.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Write a ReviewReviews (14,089)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

A little late with the review but we visited the Grand Bahia Principe Coba on June 10-17th, 2014. We are a family of six from Ohio with four children (18 girl, 16yr girl, 11yr boy and 7 yr girl).

Airport

Customs and the experience at the Cancun airport was great.  Everyone was friendly, nothing struck as unusual and we moved through the customs process very easily.

Transportation -

The resort is approximately an 1hr 15 mins from the Cancun airport.  We utilized Cancuntransfer.com for the airport roundtrip and it made the process very painless and would definitely use them again. (Highly recommend based on price and experience)

Check In -

Immediately entering complex you will notice the size of the property.  It is huge and there are constant trolleys shuttling people between the resort, the various lobbies (Tulum and Akumal share the property) and the beach.  The lobby is very nice but not air conditioned (which we will discuss further in the reviews).  We were quickly greeted by people at the entrance that tagged our bags and advised us they will take our bags to our room after completing checkin.  We started the check in process in the lobby and were advised that in spite of our previous request that we could not get rooms adjoining or even adjacent rooms which was a little disappointing given the notice we provided the hotel and our planned sleeping arrangements (allowing the 18 and 16 year old girls to share their own room).  The room was not ready (we arrived early at 1:00PM) but we were told the buffet is open and feel free to get some thing to eat drink and explore the property.  Just a note - there are tequila stands in the lobby that are free to sample from Cinnamon and cherry to habanero tequila.  Neat touch at the very least tequila was a little diluted.

The buffet at the premier lobby was pretty good.  We were there at an off-peak time for lunch but had a decent selection of american, italian other type of food. No one in our family had a problem finding something to eat.  I will discuss the food in more detail later.

We were assigned our rooms and the hotel had one of the bell hops drive us to our room (again the resort is huge).  They were able to get us two rooms in the same building on the same floor but on opposite sides of the hotel - no big deal right?  Well unfortunately in this resort there is no way to get to rooms on the other side of the building without walking down the stairs and walking around the building which is fairly lengthy due to the landscaping layout.  The villas do not have elevators so anytime you come and go; expect a stair walk unless you are on the first floor.  That being said the villas are only four stories tall; not a big deal except at checkin and checkout which you "should" have help at both times to carry luggage. (I say should because of a small issue that i will discuss later as well in my constructive feedback area).

Rooms:

- Size adequate— couch, flat screen TV, normal bathroom, and the beds.  King size or two doubles.  The two double bed are actually pushed up against each other which is a little unusual.

- Smell - the room had a slight musty smell like it wasn't recently used but after the week I understand the real reason.  (stay tuned).  The smell was not overpowering and not a major concern just a little noticeable

The room was very clean and the mini bar had a (3) soda type beverages (sprite, coke or diet), a bottled water (as well as one on counter and in bathroom) and (2) Dos Equis plus a few snacks.

Temperature - The AC if that is what you cool it blows NO AIR.  The vent is cold but you could feel zero airflow. Initially we thought the room temp was because we just arrived and we quickly lowered the temp setting to the coldest setting and the fan on the highest setting and set out to explore the property. (More later)
Balcony was nice but didn't use much except to hang clothes and apply sunscreen.

Pools -

The resort had several pools the one closest to our room was very small (think backyard pool) with a hot tub and bar.  The pool usually had 5-6 people at it and it was very easy to get a drink.

Kid / Swim up Bar / Activity Pool - (we spent 90% of our vacation here) this pool is in the middle of the resort and is very large.  There are loungers all around the pool and it split into three pools in the same area

- the pool on one end is the adult / non activity pool and has a swim up bar with seats you can sit on enjoy the water and enjoy a drink of your choosing.   All of the pools have a zero entry section or stairs and are very nice IMO.  The atmosphere in this pool was still kid friendly for the most part with the exception of maybe a very small subset of college age kids that never experienced an open bar before. This was only experienced once in our entire 7 day trip.

- Middle pool - volleyball, fountain, and closest to the activity desk.  On initial entry we noticed fun music playing and several staffers dancing and having a good time.  We quickly realized they were part of the entertainment crew and my kids recognized two of their favorite entertainers from their last vacation to a different resort that they went on and were excited to see a familiar face. (More on this later as it was a huge part of our vacation and deserves its own section).

- Kid pool - my 7yr old daughter and 11 yr old son enjoyed this area and played there quite a bit.  There was usually at least one staff member watching this area and ensuring the kids are safe and not endangering each other or themselves.

Seating / sunbathing - The chances a lounger or shaded cabana was available after 10AM was slim to none.  That being said, usually within 10 mins you would be able to find at least one lounger to leave your belongings and usually it wouldn't be much longer and you could find a cabana that was shaded and had two loungers.  They were not waiting for you but we never had an issue getting one after a short wait in the pool.  The resort states unattended loungers reserved with towels is prohibited is not true.  In our experience, if you left your towels and sandals on a lounger it was safe and would not get removed.

Other Pools - we really didn't venture out to the other pools. This one provided something for everyone and was the largest pool close to our rooms. We walked by the other large pool and it was nice.

Breakfast - Main Coba buffet is where we would go when we actually ate breakfast. No complaints on the food - it was generally plentiful, fairly warm and had no issues finding something. Fresh fruit was good (pineapple, melons, etc) were very good. Egg / omelet station was very good, egg whites upon request. Turkey bacon, scrambled eggs, french toast and pancakes.

Lunch - most lunches we would grab a bite at the poolside snack bar. The snack bar typically had burgers, chicken (fried and sometimes grilled) some seafood, fruit and soft serve ice cream. We never had an issue finding something the kids would eat. Most days they ate a burger, some fries and several ice cream cones.

Dinner - The buffet for dinner was very similar every day. The food was good, nothing was outstanding, but never had an issue finding something. It could have been better sure but given the number of people it was expected. We never had to wait for a table for all six of us. Not sure where they get their soup recipes but not once during the week did any of the soups sound appealing and given the heat that is probably good.

Ala carte - book them the first night you are there and probably will still be eating at 10:00PM. That is a major issue and need to figure out a better solution. We ate three ala carte restaurants and all three we had to eat very late.

The first ala carte was average - it wasn't great and wasn't bad. It is fairly new and is the main restaurant at the premier lobby (at dinner time it is converted to an ala carte). I would put the food quality in line with a seafood chain.

Our second ala carte we selected the Japanese Teppanyaki. My kids love these type of restaurants and given our experience with the entertainment we had high hopes. The food was good but not outstanding and the chef didn't do much of a display if any at all. It could have been the time of day we ate but i guess we were expecting a little experience with the meal.

Our third and final selection was the Brazillian style restaurant. The food quality was very good and there was a good selection of chicken, steak, and sausage. My kids greatly enjoyed the experience.

Drinks

The drink selection was outstanding in my opinion. All of the bartenders did a good job of making drink recommendations and providing you a beverage in a timely manner. The kids enjoyed virgin drinks made anyway they wanted and the adults enjoyed the drinks made with liquor that wasn't just bottom shelf typical. There were several brand vodka, scotch and whisky selections available. I tried to leave a small gratuity on each trip to the bar since they bartenders are going non stop and do a pretty good job.

MiniBar

I strongly recommend leaving a few dollars a day tip in the minibar if you want to see anything other than two cokes and a single beer everyday. We would leave money and would notice the fridge filled with more selections as well as some snacks.

****Entertainment****
---------------------------

OUTSTANDING - the pool side entertainment lead by Viko, Jesus and others truly made the vacation memorable. They were overly friendly to the kids from my 18 and 16 year old daughters (which I was uneasy with at first but quickly realized they were just great people) down to my 11 and 7 yr old. All of the staff went out of their way to treat them special make sure they enjoyed their stay. The nightly shows which were very well done and entertaining. We stayed for 8 days and 7 nights and truly enjoyed the show every night. Additionally, the familiar poolside cast of entertainers usually kicked off the show and did an outstanding job.

All of the entertainment was truly outstanding and world class but Jesus and Viko were in a league of their own. They played a significant role in ensuring my family enjoyed their trip, provided great memories and ensured we would return to vist.

Conclusion

Overall the vacation was great. My only words of caution are that there are few places to go to escape the heat. Visit the Hacienda as all of the stores are air conditioned and there is a sports bar that is also air-conditioned to escape the heat. The room AC is a problem and needs to be investigated/resolved - if the rooms would have provided a decent escape and were cool at night i would have no issues leaving a 10 out of 10 rating for this resort based on my overall experience. My only other feedback is engage with the entertainment staff and treat them nice and they will do the same.

Overall experience 7 out of 10 - with one 10 out of 10 for the animation/entertainment staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Matt G

Dear Matt,

We appreciate your review about your stay at our hotel.

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the food at the buffet, the neatness of the room, the pools, the restaurants a la carte, the drinks and entertainment. We will forward your words of appreciation to the animation staff.

We are sorry that you had room issues. The points you have mentioned are totally under our standards and we have already taken actions in order to meet our values again. Thank you for bringing this information to our attention.

We hope to welcome you in the future.

Cordially,

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Excellent Activities! A good range to keep you entertained for your stay. The food is good, resturants are highly recommended!
Animation team are incredible! David and Rosy very entertaining and very friendly people! Aurora excellente!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Alan David O

Dear Alan,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

It is a pleasure to know that you had fantastic time at our hotel.

We are also happy that you enjoyed the food, the restaurants and entertainment.

Thank you also for mentioning our staff. Your positive comments are already sent to the Animation team.

We are waiting forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Second time at Coba and will go back again!!! Outstanding! Lots to see and do, clean room, excellent service, all the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The food is incredible! My son loved swimming with the dolphins, the nightly shows are Very entertaining. The resort has something for everyone! Will be back in the winter!

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Marni0716
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Marni,

We are very happy to receive you positive feedback.

Your comments are very motivational for the staff as we always strive to give the best service to the guests.

We are delighted to read that you once again enjoyed friendliness of our team, neatness of your room, quality of food, swim with dolphins and the night shows.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Best regards,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I took my two daughters for their birthdays and the youngest HS graduation from July 26 to July 31. We are planning on going back again definitely with more family members. It's a big resort...3 on one property and lots of people so too many to please but the staff work hard to please you if you have an issue with anything. Trust me I am very finicky about hotels and that is why I don't travel a lot but will use this one again and again...It was immaculately clean wherever you went! When we got to our room it smelled musty to me but not to my girls so of course I said something to front desk and the Apple Vacation rep when they asked how everything is...when I came back to room to pick up our beach towels Ediberto the staff member in charge of our room was cleaning the room from top to bottom and all over again and put a dehumidifier in to make us more comfortable and everything was fine after that! My daughters and I are vegans/pescatarians(eat fish only) so they made sure there was always more than enough food at the buffet for us to eat and on couple occasions the chefs made us a vegetarian plate when they saw I didn't have much on my plate...you just have to tell the lobby representative of your special diet. In fact the buffet was so good that we opted not to go to the second ala carte restaurant but we tried the El pascador and the salmon was fantastic as well as the service especially Zachariah in the premier lobby where we would have our breakfast. The beach was always packed and no chairs available but I learned fast that people were putting their towels on them and coming back later and being a morning person I would get up early walk to beach and save the chairs and go for breakfast and come back and no one ever touched your stuff. My girls snorkeled, did beach aerobics, zumba, and we all did yoga on the little deck over the water. It was fantastic they even sang happy birthday to my 20 year old right there on the beach while she got embarrassed! We met a lot of people from Canada, London, USA in fact some we will keep in touch with. I recommend that you sit and ask the rep to tell you about everything the resorts offer cause it took us a day to realize how much there was to do and see... there is an amphitheater for nightly shows like Cirque de soleil, Lion King, Grease and all were great! We would spend the rest of the evening sitting right outside of Lobby Coba with drinks which my 18 year old was enjoying since you can drink at that age in Mexico and they had salsa dancing lessons there and I would sit and talk to people as we watched everyone dance. After that we would go to the Hacienda and disco tech. All in all I highly recommend this resort and it did exceed my expectations since I just wanted to relax for a few days as it was a last minute vacation and we have been under a lot of stress...all gone there!!! Even the 11/2 drive from the Cancun airport wasn't bad at all air conditioned busing.

Room Tip: ground level seem best to me
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank MRKS_20142014

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choosing our hotel as your holiday destination.

We really appreciate you taking time to send your positive feedback.

Our aim is to get the maximum satisfaction of all our guests. Thank you very much for your comment about excellent service received from our staff, we will forward your gratitude to them.
It would be pleasure to welcome you and your daughters again at our resort.

Sending you our kindest regards,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Me my wife and 2 young girls just came back from this huge ressort.All around it was an okay experience.The food is okay and the al acart resto s are okay too.The animation at the pool is very good however the seats are all reserved by 6 am.Their is a sign that says you cannot reserve chairs unless your there.The shuttle services are very good.The service is okay.No difference if you tip or not.The beach is average at best.You need water shoes.Lots of rocks in the water.Not cuban beaches.The weather is extremely hot in the month of august.Your looking at 95 percent humidity.We were not lucky with our room air conditioning.You could not regulate the thermostat.Almost anywhere you went in the ressort air conditioning was hard to find.You asked some peolple their and you would get all kinds of different answers.I believe that they try to save money and keep it aroud 25 to 26 celcius.With the extreme heat and little air conditioning it made the stay their very uncomfortable.I hope they fix this issue and the pool towel one.All and all its a good ressort.On a scale of 10 I rate this ressort a 6....... great if you have young kids.........enjoy the kids waterslides........

Room Tip: make sure you have airconditioning that works.....
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Tamara G

Dear Tamara,

Thank you for your valuable comments.

We are glad you enjoyed the food, the a la carte restaurants, the animation and the shuttle system.

We are sorry for the inconvenience with the air conditioning. We would like to assure you that our Maintenance department is working very hard on this issue.

We hope to welcome you again at our resort.

Sending you our best regards,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family and I spent 2 weeks here starting 22.07.2014, on arrival at the airport our transfer to the hotel tool approx 90 minutes as we had 2 other stops before getting dropped off at Coba. This place is huge, make no mistake about that and to be honest is a bit over powering when you check in and get a brief over-view of the resort complete with map and information on the various restaurants bars, etc.

When we found our rooms (which are a good size and serviced regularly) it took about 10 minutes for the luggage to be dropped off, after which we changed into our swim gear and went off exploring. There are a number of pools, snack bars and bars in Coba alone. The swimming pools are a great temperature so no need to enter slowly, they're large too so never get over crowded even when the various daytime actvities take place. One thing about the pool though is you really do need to try and reserve a bed under shade before 6am, otherwise you have no chance of getting one. The hotel does have signed displayed in an attempt to prevent people lating towels out on the beds but no one actually enforces the rule so none of the guest pay much attention. From time to time they could also maybe do with having an additional bar man by the pools bars just to ease congestion and help get punters served a little faster.

The main buffet restaurant has a magnificant selection and there was always something for everyone, I have very picky kids so was pleased they could always find something they liked. The alacarte restaurant were great too, we used the gourmet, portifino, tequila, mikado and were never disappointed. As previous reviews mention all the restaurants could do with some more air conditioning but this isnt an issue that shold spoil your holiday.

Wifi can be difficult to use and having it in the rooms would be a great benefit. Using the free service in the lobby can be frustrating but then again you're on holiday so no need to be sat around indoors writing emails or facebooking when you should be out enjoying the sunshine, drinks and food that is on offer.

When didnt make the evening entertainment too often as to be honest we were shattered most nights after we had our evening meal and a few drinks, plus not forgetting you had to be up mega early to grab a bed by the pool.

If you dont make the pool the beach is great, plus a golf cart will take you righ there, we never experienced any problems with the transport around the resort, they were always on time and very regular and at no point were we unable to use the carts due to over crowding.

All in all we very much enjoyed this resort and our holiday was a memorable one, it did help that the weather was amazing and we didnt see one drop of rain the whole fortnight.

One thing is for sure though, we will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is a bad room here, we stayed on block 15b so very close to the main pool and...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Raymond P

Dear Raymond,

Thank you for your positive feedback about your stay with us.

We are delighted to receive your comments about our resort and your appreciation of the pools, the selection of food at the buffet and the restaurants and the beach.

We are really content to make a contribution into your memorable holiday.

It would be honor to welcome you again at our hotel.