“First time review - celebrating my parents 50th anniversary”

Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Huntersville, North Carolina
“First time review - celebrating my parents 50th anniversary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

My parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary this December. After an initial thought of doing a DC tour, my parents used their travel agent and landed on the Grand Palladium. No one from our family had ever been to an all-inclusive in Mexico. We were a group of 7 with 3 rooms.

Weather

The Weather is something that just is; we had ok weather the first day, rain all afternoon the second and it seemed like the rest of week it was gorgeous in the morning then would cloud up by lunch.

Arrival

The Grand Palladium is a good 90 mins from the airport especially as we made two stops on the way. We arrived and we able to get three rooms in the same building. My parents room was on the second floor, so my wife and I switched with them. We were all in building 58 which was a great location, right by the beach and basically equal distance from the lobbies. Very glad we did switch as my parents would have struggled with the stairs. They did send them a bottle of champagne.

Rooms
My parents room experienced several issues during the week and it took some time to get them straightened out; the service was attentive but maybe not so effective. The biggest issue we had with my room was the musty smell. When we got home all of our clothes, worn or not, were quite musty - think the musty cabin in the woods. The rooms were quite spacious and seemed fine - the biggest issue being the TVs are just old. The beds were just ok.

Transportation
The Grand Palladium is a big resort - I am a runner and it was about 1.5 miles around the resort one way - and for my parents in their 70s this was an issue. For the most part, they were able to get rides to/from their room. They did have some issues so this was not perfect. The bell man did a great job delivering our bags when we arrived and when we left. My only compliant as a runner it sometimes was like playing dodge ball with the carts, trains, etc, But never ever felt threatened

BTW -we used Lomas as our transfer company - they were AWESOME.

Fitness
My oldest daughter is a year round swimmer and I am active triathlete and in training for a half marathon soon. So we needed to exercise. My daughter used the pool at the spa each day for a swim - it was not perfect but worked and she got some good workouts in. I ran each day - and it was tough. Between the humidity which was a kicker and running on the pavers, running was not so great. The gym at the spa was again good enough - not perfect but acceptable. I would give it a solid thumbs up.

Pools/Beaches
We spent our time in two places - the Colonial pool and the Rocks pool. The Colonial pool as it was close to our rooms and seemed like more families where there. The pool over at White Sands was more adultish. My 9 year old son enjoyed the pool there and did some of the activities but not many. We tried to get him into more of the kids activities like the plays but he was just not into it. Hard to know whether its was them or him given his age - he said he had a good time so lets leave it at that. Only compliant about the Colonial pool is it is loud.

My wife and I spent a good bit of time at the Rocks pool - although the first part of the week every time we went the weather turned south. It rained hard Tuesday afternoon and turned very cloudy Wednesday. We spent all day Thursday there with my oldest two daughters and again some time on Friday. We left Saturday at lunch time and my daughters and I spent that morning at the Rock pool in one of the most gorgeous mornings I have ever experiences on the beach in my life (I grew on the ocean and go to the beach 2 weeks a year or more and this morning from 8 to 10 am was nothing short of spectacular). The Rocks pool was very fun for my son - he went snorkeling in it - its like swimming in an aquarium. It alone is worth coming back for..

My wife and I did spend one afternoon on the beach - we would typically spend the morning at the Colonial pool, let my soon head back to the room in the afternoon after lunch and we would then hit some place else. We liked the beach.

Towels
The Grand Palladium has this towel system - and it works ok if you figure it out. You have towels in your room plus towel cards. You get cars for turning in towels. We never had a problem with it, just took a day or so to figure out.

Its all-inclusive much like a cruise. The alcohol flowed freely. we sampled bars all over - and the Rocks pool was my personal favorite. We enjoyed sitting in the lobbies after dinner and getting drinks as well. My oldest is 18 and it was able to drink as well.

We tried 5 different dinners - we ate Ribs and More twice, El Dorado, Portofino, The Brazilian restaurant and the Japanese restaurant. Plus my sone and I tried out the sport bar at the Colonial.

Quick reviews - Ribs and More was ok - I had the steak the first night and the pork ribs the second - the pork ribs were very good just wish there more. My steak was not very good and undercooked. This place had the best salad bar but the desserts were just ok.

El Dorado was to me a disappointment. Out steaks were not very good at all.

Portofino was not bad - my wife had a chicken dish which was likely the single best dish of the entire trip. It was worthy of a second trip and had a very good salad bar and dessert menu.

Japanese restaurant - tough to get into because we were not VIPS. We did get into a 5:30 seating on Thanksgiving night. It was a good show but the food was just ok. Kind of wish we had done the menu setting instead. Sushi was ok. Dessert was ok. I would certainly never hold my entire vacation around this experience.

Brazilian restaurant - it was our last night - you either like this experience or you dont. My family liked it but my dad hated it with a passion. Its just the way he is. But it was not a bad Brazilian experience. The meats were all hot, seasoned well and tasty. The beef was really the best beef I had all week. By far.

Breakfast - the breakfast buffet, regardless of which buffet restaurant, was amazing. The pastries and breads were outstanding. Breakfast was the best meal of the day. I ate way too many donuts and shortbread cookies. Seriously was just crazy good.

Lunch - made the very big mistake on the first day of eating at the BBQ by the Colonial pool out by the beach - terrible meal. Worst of the week. But the buffets by the pool bars at the Colonial and White Sands were very good. My parents who have been on over thirty cruises raved about this lunch buffet along with breakfast. My biggest compliant is that I was often just not hungry for lunch.

Sports Bar - the night of the Japanese dinner my son ate basically nothing - he was a trooper but it was hard. So I took him to the sports bar where they have basically bar food - frozen food hell. But hey it had chicken nuggets and fries, we played pool and watched some of the football game. Decent bar it not loud.

No one got sick off the food

Spa
We were able to use the wet area of the spa for free (no longer true come Dec. 1). My wife and I went over there one day to use the facilities. It was crowded. We were there for maybe 30 minutes and came away unimpressed. The Hot tubs were not hot enough, neither was the steam room. The showers did not have enough pressure to use. I was so glad I did not pay to use this - maybe if there was a charge it would have been less crowded but still.

With one exception, the service was quite good. The workers were friendly, the housekeeping was fine. Wait staff was pretty much on point - we did have a couple of longish waits for entrees but nothing obnoxious. Bartenders were very good.

Overall Facilities

The grounds were clean- the pools were clean - everything was in general fine shape. It was quite nice - some of the cushions on the beds out by the rocks pool could have been cleaner.

Snorkeling
I was able to snorkel well right off the beach and enjoy myself. I have certainly done much worse.

Overall Vibe
Here was an interesting experience; not sure if this is always true but as American for a good part of the week we were clearly a minority. Lots of Canadians there for weddings - lots of Europeans, South Americans, etc. It was not what we had expected (not sure why) - but it was ok. English was not a problem ever. Not once. But it did mean we saw more topless than I was expecting and different bathing suit styles. Again, taking the cultural back drop we were in, it was not something that was ever flaunted. But if that offends you, then be aware. It was just part of the package and we came to accept it.

Why a 4
My family has been to Disney World multiple times and stayed on property in multiple places so I feel like we understand a quality experience. There was nothing glaringly wrong here at all - but things like beach waiters, etc. that you might find at higher end properties are not here. The service at restaurants was good but not exceptional. The activities were ok but not out of this world.

We came back tan, relaxed, a couple pounds heavier than we left - a very successful, fun vacation.

Room Tip: Buildings 59 and 58 were great locations
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ckb_nc
Celia B, Directora Adjunta / Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Hello ckb_nc,

Thank you for sharing the details of your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed our Salt water pool, Ribs and More restaurant and our friendly service staff.
Be assured that your comments will aid us in improving our services as we strive to continuously offer an excellent vacation experience.
See you soon.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

We were just at the Grand Palladium White Sands Resort & Spa from November 6 to 20 for our wedding. There were about 26 guests. Here's a review of the hotel/amenities:

Wedding:
Our wedding planner Grace was excellent. We were married at the Garden Gazebo which is at the Colonial and is a beautiful location. The wedding was beautiful and everything went off without a hitch. Our reception was at La Laguna which was also quite nice. We booked our hair and makeup at the Zenotropia Spa which was not that great. Take a photo of the hairstyle and makeup you want and bring eye shadow as what they have is limited. The first time they did my eye make up, I looked terrible and had to get them to remove and reapply it. Also, the stylists were not very friendly and seemed to be mocking us which was not great. We used Blue Lens Caribe for our photographer and they were awesome.

Resort:
- The resort is huge but is easiest to get around by walking. There are shortcuts you can take between lobbies. The train between the hotels was great at first but service quickly diminished after the first week. We had to wait an hour on one day just to go between lobbies - we had gone to Playa del Carmen that day and everyone was tired and wet so we waited for the train - it never came so we had to walk anyway.
- Be prepared for hard beds/pillows and pillows that smell. We asked for new pillows at the lobby but they never brought them so either bring your own or sleep with a towel over them.
- The beach is beautiful (a bit rocky though) - the best place to swim is by the Colonial - search for where all the people are swimming and this is the best spot. Also, check out the turtle enclosure. They release the baby turtles into the ocean at night.
- The buffet at the Riviera is best for breakfast and is not too busy. The waiters and hosts are very friendly.
- Rooms - the rooms are ok. Everything is looking a little old and could use freshening up. They are very generous with leaving water for you. The maid service is ok - they were quite good at the beginning but this changed and they would forget to leave facecloths or hand towels, blankets, etc.
- Use the A La Carte restaurants - they are good. The only ones you need to reserve are the Japanese and one other. If you go at 5:30pm, there usually isn't a line up.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank CSmith401
Hello CSmith401,

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us.
Congratulations on your wedding and for sharing such a special occasion with us at the resort. We will definitely advise Grace-Weddings of your kind comments.
Be assured that your comments will aid us in improving our services, as we strive to always offer an excellent vacation experience.
We are however most delighted that you enjoyed our wedding planning services, buffets and a la carte restaurants.
We look forward to hosting you for another GRAND vacation.
See you soon.

Banff National Park, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Sorry this report is so late but I felt I am going to report everywhere we go..
After reading here on trip advisor about this room is very big and hard to get around. I would like to say this..You know it is a huge resort before you booked it and that means getting from point A to point B might take longer than a smaller resort. Having said that, we found getting around was very simple and everyone has the choices of either walking or getting on a golf cart train. If you decided to walk around it might take maybe 5-10 min of a leasure stroll to walk from white sands to kantenah. If it rains they also have walkways under awnings to keep you dry.
This place is unreal, alligators, flamingo's and tons of fish to sea. They have a pontoon boat to take you on a short cruise and many different al la cartes and buffet places to eat. The staff are super friendly and will help you with your needs. The beach is very long and beautiful with lots of chairs. The sea pool is very cool and became my favorite place to hang out. Remember to bring your snorkel gear to check out the fish in the pool. You will love this place..have fun

Room Tip: ask for building 58..close to everything..
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank nighthawk137
Celia B, Directora Adjunta / Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Hello nighthawk137,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your vacation experiences with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our wildlife, various restaurants and friendly staff.
Our beautiful white sand beach as well our salt water pool with the spectacular fishes are always a favourite.
We look forward to hosting you once more for a GRAND vacation.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I have just returned 6-19th November from the most amazing holiday. The resort is huge, I don't think I could quite appreciate how large it was, its like a village or small town. But don't worry there are mini trains and golf carts to take you wherever you need to go.
The resort is made up of 5 lobby's Colonial and Kantennah are linked as are White Sands and Riviera and there is a separate area for the Royal Suites (the VIP and adult only part). We stayed in White sands in a room near the rock pool. The room was huge, with a really large bed, a jacuzzi bath and a large shower. There are lots of pools and bars to get around in the day, the choices are endless. We preferred the adults only pool in the Riviera side as there was comfy padded beds and waiter bar service.
The resort itself is part wildlife park, so there are lots of birds, lizards, fish, raccoons and crocodiles (enclosed) for you to see and it really adds an extra dimension to an already special resort.
The choices for dinner include several buffet restaurants as well as 8 a la carte restaurants, I would recommend booking in to see the Japanese show kitchen and going back if you have time to also eat from the menu as its a totally different experience and food. We also booked into the fish restaurant out by the sea which was really quite special, we did it on a Monday as its also the night for the white party, where everyone is encouraged to wear white and they have a party near the rock pool, which includes a fire show.
The Hemmingway and Churchill bars offer an air conditioned respite to the heat and serve premium drinks. Although all of the bars were great, the measures were generous and the staff were fun and knowledgeable.
Everyone who works at the resort seemed to be happy and they all say hello to you and have huge smiles.
This place is absolute paradise and in 2 weeks we didn't get bored with the food, or the resort itself, I would definitely recommends this for couples and for large groups (as you can avoid them its that big, if you need to!)

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 1st floor or above to avoid the racoons, we stayed in bock 65 which was near th...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kelly G
Hello kellyonthebeach,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your vacation experience with us.
We are most delighted that you enjoyed our Adults only pool at the Riviera which provides tranquility and seclusion. We are also happy you enjoyed our food and beverage offerings such as the Hemmingway and Churchill bars. Also our varied selection of buffets and specifically the Japanese restaurant which provides an entertaining experience combined with a fabulous meal.
We are delighted you enjoyed our friendly customer service personnel and also our wildlife which serves as an additional attraction as we strive to preserve our environment.

Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Not sure why anyone would want to go anywhere else. this place is huge. there is a pool, bar and resturant every where you go. my favorite part is the spa. perfect for weddings. multiple stages, and entertainment every where you go. the staff is awesome. we love this place! we will be going again soon!

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Scott W
Hello Scott W,

Thank you for taking the time to share highlights of your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted that you enjoyed our pools, bars, restaurants, entertainment and the spa.
Thank you for highlighting our hardworking staff that also made your stay more enjoyable.

Medicine Hat, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Our group of 24 flew WestJet from Calgary on Saturday, Nov. 02 and we could not get into our rooms until 3:00pm. Changed into swimsuits and off for breakfast and then crash at the pool. Check in was an ordeal. We insisted on getting our rooms at 3:00pm because by that time we had been up for 33 hours and were exhausted and finally we're in.

Our overall experience was just OK. Nothing exciting about this resort, only that it's big, lobby's at the 5 locations were all the same, blink and you don't miss anything. Walk or catch the train and you can get anywhere. The pools were nice, while the beach was full of sea weed and very rocky going into the water. The buffet food was average (we never went hungry) but the al la carte's were very good. The Japanese (our favourite), the El Dorado (steak, went twice), Chinese, the Brazilian (all meat), Seafood (on the beach) were all wonderful, great food and service! Never had to wait more than 30 minutes for a table of 6. Room cleaning was very hit and miss. Some rooms were cleaned early and some by 4:00 pm, only when called and one day our bathroom was totally missed. That was no big deal except when we needed a nap and room cleaning was there later. Beds and pillows are very hard! Our daughter and group of friends (26 yrs.old) were in the pool after dark and when they left, found their bags had been taken, money, ipod, room keys and towel cards were all stolen. This is not the resort's fault, just stupid tourist who decided to let their fingers do some walking. Shame on you!!
Highlight of the trip was our daughter getting engaged on Isla Mujeres, what a wonderful day! We took a private catamaran to the island, had lunch on the beach, enjoyed some shopping and enjoyed the open bar on the trip back. Rio Secreto was another amazing trip, enjoyed exploring the caves. The guys did a 4 hours fishing trip and caught a marlin and two barracudas, a good time was had by all.
Honestly, try the GPWS yourself, I am sure you will be happy with it. For us, we have been to many other resorts over the years and when comparing to others, we will give it a 3* +. Have a good time and btw, go to the spa pool and enjoy the facility there before they start charging in December.

Room Tip: Block 54 was central and accessible to everything
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank queenofhearts7
Antonio P, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear queenofhearts7,
Thank you for your time to write a review about your stay with us.
Regarding the check in, our Check in time is 3pm and you can believe that we do our best in order to deliver the room keys before that time but it sometimes depends on the availability as we have very high occupancy in the last months.
The cleaning of the rooms is from 8am to 4pm, we also try to satisfy special requests but it is very difficult to clean all the rooms early in the morning as our maids have to clean also the rooms which will be doing check in the same day.
Again I appreciate your comments and will be happy to see you back in our Resort.

Regards,

Antonio Parrado Rodríguez
Director Residente / Resident Manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

This was my second time being at the resort. First time was four years ago. Not much has changed since the first visit. The beach is beautiful and tons of room on the beach. You don't have to be up at seven am to reserve your chair. The beds are very firm not much comfort there. I did not like being approached every single day by someone if we heard of their travel club, if I say no once that should be good enough. Food was good my favorite was the Chinese and Italian. Rooms need to be updated. They are getting dated. Staff are always friendly no problems there. Being able to walk around all four resorts is nice and a lot of room.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Disappointed T
Celia B, Directora Adjunta / Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Hello Disappointed T,

Thank you for taking the time to share highlights of your vacation with us.
Let us take the time to welcome you back to the resort for another vacation.
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed dinners at our Chinese and Italian restaurants and the spaciousness of the resort also.
We look forward to hosting you for a third, fourth and fifth vacation. Kindly let us know in advance of your next stay so that we can prepare accordingly and offer our VIP treatment.

The Royal Suites Yucatán
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,910 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!