Our room was very nice, they did get it right for us(3 ppl one room, had the 2 doubles + sofa bed ready for us upon arriving), and the check in was very quick. Did however take a while for the bellboy to bring us our luggage after check in, around 30 mins. The resort is part of a vast property, so add a bit of extra time to anything you're planning on doing on the property due to travel time.
Room was very clean, however in regards to the room, there are a few items that happened to us that are worth mentioning. 1: A/C went out on the 5th night and started dripping water from the ceiling, we were told that the A/C cable broke and that's why the water was dripping...regardless...it was dripping. 2: Power outage in our room on the 3rd night, however the repair guy did come promptly(within 5 minutes) after I called the front desk. 3: They did not refill our fridge one day and I had to ask 4x(called front desk 2x, and asked in person at the front desk 2x, didn't get our fridge refilled til around 4pm the next day).
I'm not going to go to a 4 star restaurant in a Mexican resort expecting 3 Michelin star food, however the food in the Chinese restaurant, Japanese restaurant, and Italian restaurant were all horrible. Too salty, soggy, or tasteless, with that said, the steakhouse, the ribs and steak, the Mexican restaurant, and the seafood restaurant were very good(didn't get to try the Brazilian). Overall the staff at the restaurants were...mediocre at best, with the worst "award" possible going to our server at the steakhouse...he got our orders wrong 2x, even tho he wrote it down or at least we saw him writing something down. I ordered a scotch and soda for my drink, he repeated the order so it's not like he heard me wrong, he even wrote it down, however I somehow managed to get a gin and tonic, a vodka and tonic, a vodka and soda, and eventually my friend who ordered the same thing got HIS scotch and soda...but I still didn't get mine...went up to the restaurant bar and just ordered it myself(which means the bartender knew what it was). The server did however fold some roses out of napkins for my cousin-in-law for her birthday, which I'll give him a thumbs up for...overall a nice guy, just don't think he should be a server.
For all purposes, whether it's to exchange bills for smaller bills, drinking both alcoholic or non-alcoholic, or asking for directions around the resort or to areas of interest outside the resort, the bars were the best...whether you're sober or when you're drunk. I can only say this for the lobby bars at the Whitesands, Riviera, Colonial, and the restaurant bar at Laguna as I frequented them more than once.
Absolutely required honorable mentions for staff members are:
-Alfredo - Bartender at Whitesands lobby bar, very cheerful guy, very knowledgeable of the property(different resorts and events), and very knowledgeable of good tourist destinations along with what's the best way to get there without getting ripped off, what to look out for, what not to do, ect.
Antonio - Bartender at Whitesands lobby bar, similar in all regards as Alfredo above.
Florentino(spelling?) - Bartender at Whitesands lobby bar, similar in all regards as Alfredo and Antonio above.
Jose - Was a bartender at the Laguna restaurant bar and also the Riviera lobby bar, however I believe he mentioned quitting and will be going to another resort.
Jorge - Believe that was his name, was our server at the ribs and steak restaurant on our first night.
There were some other staff that deserve high praises, however I don't fully recall their name, as mentioned, overall the resort is decent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium White Sand are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa (excluding the Royal Suite facilities). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium White Sand Resort And Spa
- Grand Palladium White Sand Hotel Akumal
- Palladium White Sands
- Grand Palladium White Sands Resort
- Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa Riviera Maya, Mexico - Akumal