“Good Family Vacation Spot”

Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Just recently enjoyed a week here in villa 54. Good location, close to lobby and pool. For beach access from here its best to catch the shuttle to Colonial and enjoy the beach from there. This resort is a little different from other all inclusive resorts we have visited. No room service and no pool side service. And no beach service either. The pool bars stay very busy. We didn't have trouble getting a drink but certainly not as leisurely as having drinks brought to you. The resort staff are all very friendly and the food is good. Several restaurants for a sit down dinner- gentlemen must wear long pants. The buffets always had a good variety. Both my wife and I felt the beds seemed very hard as well as the pillows. Linens were of average quality. I could only give 4 stars.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Curtis O
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Curtis O,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your last holidays with us. For us is essential to know all the opinions from our guests and what we need to do to better meet their expectations, in fact we are already working in some of the observations you made.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was a good resort, but large. Lots of walking. They were not as accommodating as I expected for a large group of people. They could have done more to get us closer together. But it was beautiful. It was also very far out of Playa.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jalynn M

Dear Jalynn M,

I would like to thank you for your review and feedback about your last stay in our hotel. Concerning the size of the resort we do regret that you didn´t appreciated as our aim is to make an enchanting place to all our visitors, hence we have the transportation services for guests that do not want to walk.

Thanks again and please do not hesitate to contact with us for any further question or if you decide to visit us again.

Best regards,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Very nice resort with a great staff. We stayed in villa 56 second floor. we were in close proximity to everything; beach, pool, lobby, food places. yes, this is a big resort, but unless you lead a very sedentary life you can walk from one end to the other in 15-20 minutes. I saw people walking for the carts, but I could get there faster walking. the food was pretty good, not 5-star quality, but I am not staying there for 5-star food. entertainment was awesome with plenty of activities in the pools. I was there for the addicts get together but since we were traveling with 6 and 7 year old boys; so when the drinking games began we went back to our room. when we first arrived there, there were 4 turtle nests and when we left there were 34 nests they moved to protection. the beaches are nice. there was never any issue with finding a chair at the pool or beach. everyone seemed to get a later start there compared to other resorts I have stayed at. our room was cleaned daily and mini restocked. I guess the only complaint I would have is the lack of tips the staff receive there. yes, I know it is an all inclusive and you do not have to tip, but the staff there was putting up with some people rude and ungrateful people, all the while having a smile on their face. i.e. rude bridal party (seemed like there was a wedding there every day!!) ordering 14 blue Hawaiians and not even giving the bartender $1.00! some bars made better drinks than others. I am not sure why people complain of weak drinks, your are standing there when they make it, ask for more liquor, they will oblige. overall an excellent vacation.

Room Tip: villa 56 room 5625 was close to pool, beach and food.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jennifer c
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear jennifer c,

Thank you for your good comments and for the feedback, as our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests, and the way we can do it is to know what our guests like and the things we can enhance.

We are happy to understand that you and your family enjoyed your stay, and please, do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything further we can do from this end.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

try to get a room close to pool or restaurants...it just seemed we were to far from everything and had to wait for shuttle car to pick us up every time. didn't like the fact that we couldnt ordered room service instead of going out and wait to to be pick up. i also didnt like that the ocean was a little to far from the pool.

Room Tip: try to get a room close to pool or restaurants...it just seem we were to far from everything and had...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank George L

Dear George L,

First and foremost, thank you for your comments about your holidays in our resort and for taking the time to share your observations. About the situations that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.

We are working every day in order to improve our services and we really appreciate all comments that help us to be a better hotel.

Thanks again and please, feel free to contact us if you decide to visit us again, so we can do our best to take care about your reservation and I’m sure you will appreciate the improvements in our service.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

this was our third time first two times in the colonial this time white sands as i have said before everything is amazing . every year we go it i love it more the staff are all so polite and helpful denise our waitress in the colonial lobby is the most helpful friendly person i have ever met on our last night we couldn't see her but found her in the kantanah lobby carlos and victor at the adult pools are brilliant i could go on but all the staff are great nothing is to much trouble the food once again was top class although could have been a bit hotter in buffets but i do like my food piping hot and it was never that but thats just a small niggle ,,, i can't wait to go back next may in fact I'm already counting the weeks lol ,,,

Room Tip: villa 9 in colonial near everything villa 56 white sands side right on beach
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lindarose22

Dear lindarose22,

Thanks a lot for such a delightful review about your last holidays in our resort again. Reading it made us feel happy for being part of the team that made possible to offer you a memorable vacation.
I will inform carlos and victor about your good coments.
Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Our room was very nice, they did get it right for us(3 ppl one room, had the 2 doubles + sofa bed ready for us upon arriving), and the check in was very quick. Did however take a while for the bellboy to bring us our luggage after check in, around 30 mins. The resort is part of a vast property, so add a bit of extra time to anything you're planning on doing on the property due to travel time.

Room was very clean, however in regards to the room, there are a few items that happened to us that are worth mentioning. 1: A/C went out on the 5th night and started dripping water from the ceiling, we were told that the A/C cable broke and that's why the water was dripping...regardless...it was dripping. 2: Power outage in our room on the 3rd night, however the repair guy did come promptly(within 5 minutes) after I called the front desk. 3: They did not refill our fridge one day and I had to ask 4x(called front desk 2x, and asked in person at the front desk 2x, didn't get our fridge refilled til around 4pm the next day).

I'm not going to go to a 4 star restaurant in a Mexican resort expecting 3 Michelin star food, however the food in the Chinese restaurant, Japanese restaurant, and Italian restaurant were all horrible. Too salty, soggy, or tasteless, with that said, the steakhouse, the ribs and steak, the Mexican restaurant, and the seafood restaurant were very good(didn't get to try the Brazilian). Overall the staff at the restaurants were...mediocre at best, with the worst "award" possible going to our server at the steakhouse...he got our orders wrong 2x, even tho he wrote it down or at least we saw him writing something down. I ordered a scotch and soda for my drink, he repeated the order so it's not like he heard me wrong, he even wrote it down, however I somehow managed to get a gin and tonic, a vodka and tonic, a vodka and soda, and eventually my friend who ordered the same thing got HIS scotch and soda...but I still didn't get mine...went up to the restaurant bar and just ordered it myself(which means the bartender knew what it was). The server did however fold some roses out of napkins for my cousin-in-law for her birthday, which I'll give him a thumbs up for...overall a nice guy, just don't think he should be a server.

For all purposes, whether it's to exchange bills for smaller bills, drinking both alcoholic or non-alcoholic, or asking for directions around the resort or to areas of interest outside the resort, the bars were the best...whether you're sober or when you're drunk. I can only say this for the lobby bars at the Whitesands, Riviera, Colonial, and the restaurant bar at Laguna as I frequented them more than once.

Absolutely required honorable mentions for staff members are:

-Alfredo - Bartender at Whitesands lobby bar, very cheerful guy, very knowledgeable of the property(different resorts and events), and very knowledgeable of good tourist destinations along with what's the best way to get there without getting ripped off, what to look out for, what not to do, ect.

Antonio - Bartender at Whitesands lobby bar, similar in all regards as Alfredo above.

Florentino(spelling?) - Bartender at Whitesands lobby bar, similar in all regards as Alfredo and Antonio above.

Jose - Was a bartender at the Laguna restaurant bar and also the Riviera lobby bar, however I believe he mentioned quitting and will be going to another resort.

Jorge - Believe that was his name, was our server at the ribs and steak restaurant on our first night.

There were some other staff that deserve high praises, however I don't fully recall their name, as mentioned, overall the resort is decent.

Room Tip: If money isn't the issue, or if pricing is very similar and there is vacancy, pick Grand Palladi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jd6857
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear jd6857,

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to go back to Mexico for vacation this year, and get some sun and r & r. Our favorite location is Riviera Maya, as it is so much more quiet and serene. Grand Palladium White Sands, in Playa del Carmen, gave us just that! It is the largest, most vast resort property that I have ever been to! So much so, that they have big golf carts to shuttle guests wherever they need to go! The setting was beautiful, albeit a little too "tropical jungle" atmosphere for us. We like to be able to see the ocean, and we were separated from it by the jungle! Many critters as well, such as Racoons, Anteaters, Iguanas, and something that resembled an over-sized rat...the name starts with a "Ch". The service was impeccable and very attentive! The food was very delectable, with choices of Buffet style, Brazilian, Chinese, Italian, Japanese, & Mexican. The entertainment was to die for!!! It was hard to fathom all the dances and moves that had to learn for each night's shows. The 2nd night was a "Fire Show" down on the beach, that I will never forget!!! Each night had a theme from different musical genres, that would please any age group. Of course there was also many different pools to enjoy, one of which is a Saltwater Pool, right next to the beach. In addition, many different excursions, and spa options, places to shop within the property...all of which were quite pricey, I must say. There were also many areas and activities for kids. During our stay, we saw 5 weddings! They have a nice gazebo down on the beach, and set up seating for quite a few guests! Overall it was a very pleasant, relaxing vacation, and I would recommend this property for anyone who wants to escape the hustle and bustle/party atmosphere of Cancun proper. The weather was perfect, with highs in mid-80's, lows in 70's...very warm in the sun, however the breezes off the ocean, for laying on the beach, were heavenly! I would go back again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kathy4655
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Kathy4655,