This was our fourth time at the Grand Palladium, I have been to Mexico too many times to count ! What more can I say. The resort is big and has just about anything you could want...beautiful beaches, outstanding service. Just be prepared to walk and I mean walk alot, just remember to bring bug spray and comforable shoes. There is a train that runs frequently between the lobbies. If you are a pool person, there are two main pools plus adult-only pools to chose from. If you are a beach person, there is a beautiful big beach to enjoy. The roped off beach is for snorkeling and just remember there is a coral reef, so be careful walking out into the H20. This visit, we saw a beautiful Devil Ray swimming in the shallow ocean waters!
We went on the Whaleshark excursion, and that was a 12 hour day (just a little longer than expected). It was a 1 & 1/2 hr ride up to the boat to take us to the whalesharks, then a 1 & 1/2 hr boat ride to where they were feeding. It was awesome swimming with them! Yes, they are big, but they are harmless, they are not interested in us. After this we went snorkeling off a reef at Isla de Muejeres, then hung out at a beautiful beach off the coast of Isla!
The diving was good (I would not say great ) right in front of the resort, as the whole area has been over -fished, over-dove and basically over-humanized:( The Dive company at the resort were very good! Rudy, our dive master was awesome! We also had one of the dive masters filming with a "GoPro" and he actually saw a small Seahorse!!! I was so excitied.
During the evenings we just hung out at the Lobbies of the different resorts and listened to the entertainment! The service in the lobby was very good! We especially liked Ivvone Rojas at the White Sands Lobby; she gave outstanding and personalized service and always had a big smile on her face. Also, Antonio at the White Sands lobby bar also was very good!
I liked the "free style" sit down restaurants....we especially liked the Italian one and went back twice (the baked Alaska was great!). There are two restaurants out of six (I think) that only take reservations, and they hand you a pager after you arrive and within minutes you are seated.
The only thing that we didn't like was the subtle pressure the Grand Palladium placed on us by having an attractive female (Brisas) talk with us. She basically was the front person for a big sales pitch by the Grand Palladium to listen to a presentation at the Royal Sands. She was very complimentary and friendly, but it was just a snow job to sell us the Grand Palladium.
Instead of calling it a "timeshare" it was called "The Grand Palladium travel Agency!" We did not waste our precious time as we are not interested in this! We have alot of different interests and do not want to be bound by a contract!
We do have to mention what a cluster the Cancun airport is. We flew United Airlines, an this is no exaggeration, there were five thousand people in the Cancun terminal waiting to be checked into their flight. The line was out the front doors of the terminal! There are no kiosks for boarding passes. Fortunately, we brought only carry on luggage and United had a small customer service desk for the previously checked in customers without checked bags.
All in all, a vacation is what you make of it! The positive points far outweight the negatives!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium White Sand are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa (excluding the Royal Suite facilities). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium White Sand Hotel Akumal
- Grand Palladium White Sand Resort And Spa
- Palladium White Sands
- Grand Palladium White Sands Resort
- Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa Riviera Maya, Mexico - Akumal