“Love this place!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Walton Hills, Ohio
“Love this place!!!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was our fourth time at the Grand Palladium, I have been to Mexico too many times to count ! What more can I say. The resort is big and has just about anything you could want...beautiful beaches, outstanding service. Just be prepared to walk and I mean walk alot, just remember to bring bug spray and comforable shoes. There is a train that runs frequently between the lobbies. If you are a pool person, there are two main pools plus adult-only pools to chose from. If you are a beach person, there is a beautiful big beach to enjoy. The roped off beach is for snorkeling and just remember there is a coral reef, so be careful walking out into the H20. This visit, we saw a beautiful Devil Ray swimming in the shallow ocean waters!

We went on the Whaleshark excursion, and that was a 12 hour day (just a little longer than expected). It was a 1 & 1/2 hr ride up to the boat to take us to the whalesharks, then a 1 & 1/2 hr boat ride to where they were feeding. It was awesome swimming with them! Yes, they are big, but they are harmless, they are not interested in us. After this we went snorkeling off a reef at Isla de Muejeres, then hung out at a beautiful beach off the coast of Isla!

The diving was good (I would not say great ) right in front of the resort, as the whole area has been over -fished, over-dove and basically over-humanized:( The Dive company at the resort were very good! Rudy, our dive master was awesome! We also had one of the dive masters filming with a "GoPro" and he actually saw a small Seahorse!!! I was so excitied.

During the evenings we just hung out at the Lobbies of the different resorts and listened to the entertainment! The service in the lobby was very good! We especially liked Ivvone Rojas at the White Sands Lobby; she gave outstanding and personalized service and always had a big smile on her face. Also, Antonio at the White Sands lobby bar also was very good!

I liked the "free style" sit down restaurants....we especially liked the Italian one and went back twice (the baked Alaska was great!). There are two restaurants out of six (I think) that only take reservations, and they hand you a pager after you arrive and within minutes you are seated.

The only thing that we didn't like was the subtle pressure the Grand Palladium placed on us by having an attractive female (Brisas) talk with us. She basically was the front person for a big sales pitch by the Grand Palladium to listen to a presentation at the Royal Sands. She was very complimentary and friendly, but it was just a snow job to sell us the Grand Palladium.

Instead of calling it a "timeshare" it was called "The Grand Palladium travel Agency!" We did not waste our precious time as we are not interested in this! We have alot of different interests and do not want to be bound by a contract!

We do have to mention what a cluster the Cancun airport is. We flew United Airlines, an this is no exaggeration, there were five thousand people in the Cancun terminal waiting to be checked into their flight. The line was out the front doors of the terminal! There are no kiosks for boarding passes. Fortunately, we brought only carry on luggage and United had a small customer service desk for the previously checked in customers without checked bags.

All in all, a vacation is what you make of it! The positive points far outweight the negatives!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DiLovesadventure
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear DiLovesadventure,

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your last stay with us. I feel glad to realize that you did have the wonderful vacations expected, specially being a repeater guest that enjoyed your previous visits.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Michigan
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was the 2nd time at this complex. The resort consist of 5 hotels with one of them being the long term contacts hotel. The other 4 hotels are very similar with some important distinctions. The Kandahar and Colonial are on the north side of the complex. They are closest to the beach and are more child friendly with a very nice kiddie pool that is very shallow with water slides. BUT! The large pool is 5’ deep. The beaches are very nice with lots of chairs and shade available. There are plenty of fish and sea life available to view. The early evening entertainment show is at the Colonial. Trains run between all the hotels every 10 minutes so it is easy and convenient to visit the different hotels.
Our room at the White Sands was fairly large with a Jacuzzi. The air conditioner worked great and the ceiling fan really helps with ensure comfort. Our shower drained slow but that was mostly tolerable. The shower and the lavatory have a door but are not in a separate room. When traveling with children this feature will have to be worked around. The maid service was a little spotty but a call to the desk always corrected the shortfall. Shower water pressure and temperature was excellent.
The specialty restaurants are pretty decent and do not require reservations. The adults only nights are rotated between the various restaurants. Expect waits up to an hour if you show up after 7:30 PM. The buffets were some of the best we have encountered in Mexico resorts. Great variety, well maintained and lots of on the spot preparation.
The White Sands is more adult oriented with the variety show starting about 11 PM. The crowds are about 2 hours behind the north two hotels. The pool is only 4’ deep with a zero entry level option. There is an adult only pool and a sea water pool also available.
Overall these hotels offer a lot and are a good deal for the money. I would recommend these hotels for couples or families.

Room Tip: The north side of the complex is more ‘child friendly’ and has much more wildlife available. That w...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank klm_ram
Dear klm_ram,

Watford, UK
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This was our 8th visit to one of the Palladium resorts, our last 7 being at Grand Palladium Punta Cana.

On arrival at the resort we were greeted by Jesus, who was very helpful and explained all we needed to know. We were lucky enough to be given the villa we requested in the White Sands part of the resort. We were also given VIP bands as it was our 8th visit which was a lovely touch.

We headed to our room with the Bellboy on the cart and our room had lovely fresh flowers in their as well as beautiful towel art and flowers on the bed, again a lovely touch.

We met friends over there so after a quick change we headed out for dinner and a catch up.

We went to the buffet in the Kantenah/Colonial section which was nice, it was fish night (which none of us are particularly keen on!) but we managed to get some nice food to eat.

We then headed to Hemmingways, which was lovely and cool and the drinks were good. The lobby over that side is very nice.

The following morning we woke up to a very hot and sunny day – happy!! And on our stroll to meet our friends found all the animals scattered about the place! There are loads of lizards basking in the sun!

We found some beds round the small quite adults only pool and this was to become our hang out for most of the stay. Luis who works there was amazing and kept us in good supply of drinks! Thank you Luis.

We had breakfast in the White Sands buffet this time and must say I preferred this more than the buffet at the other side.

Food was amazing, a glass of bubbly everyday was a lovely touch too.

We tried several al a cartes while we were there, the steakhouse, ribs and more, the Italian, the Asian and the Japanese. We liked all of them apart form ribs and more where we found the service a little slow, food was ok (that may just have been our choices). The Asian had great service but boy was the food salty!

For lunch we sometimes used the buffet, other times we used the outside smaller buffet at the White Sands Pool, its smaller but you can eat outside which is a bonus…. But watch for flying birds!! You also get great ice cream there!!

We also eat at the beach bar one, and the burgers were lovely, I wish I had gone back there more.

We always found food to eat, you can never go hungry!

Pools
We stayed mainly at White Sands Pool as that’s were our rooms were. As said, we stayed mainly in the adults only little hideaway as the main pool got crowded round the swim up pool…. There were certain young groups who were there all day drinking…. We didn’t really fancy wading into whatever deposits they were leaving at the swim up as they didn’t move all day!!

The downside to the pools….. they are quite deep all the way round and in the swim up, I was up to my neck so had to move away with the drinks to enjoy them. We loved the bikes in the pool for when you felt energetic! (not that often!!)

I’ve seen It mentioned before about the green stain the water left on swimming costumes and didn’t really believe it…. But yes… any white on your costume will have a green tinge on it at the end of the day… I also saw a few people with slight green tinges to the hair!! Yikes!

We ventured to the salt water pool one day, it’s a lovely quiet little oasis tucked away….. but I didn’t like the little fishes swimming round my feet!! So I admit, I wasn’t in the water long!!

Beach
We had a couple of trips to the beach, we found shade quite easy by the rocky part of the beach, but then had to walk down away to find the bit of sandy part that you could walk into. That bit was quite busy. If you are into snorkelling, you could be out all day in the rocky areas. You would definitely need shoes as it hurts your feet!

The beach bars were good, loved the plastic glasses they served your drinks in on the resort, much nicer than the plastic throwaway ones at Punta Cana, didn’t use our bubbas as much.

The racoons come onto the beach a lot so if you are eating look out for them!!

The hammocks were very nice to relax in too.

Buildings
We were in Villa 56 top floor which was what we requested and were lucky enough to get, our view was the jungle which was a shame and there was nothing to see. The rooms are kept immaculate by the staff and the fridge was filled daily. The TV was hit and miss to get a channel that you could see, but hey ho… we didn’t do too much TV watching! Our aircon was hit and miss, the room always felt warmish.

The lobbies were amazing, lovely to look at with lots of comfy chairs. The lobbies with the theatres tended to get very busy so was sometimes hard to get served there.

We loved Hemmingway’s and would try to get there when we could. The sports bar was huge! We only went once, it was packed as there was Mexican footie on but the lads went a few times to watch the hockey.

Getting around
The resort is huge… I really don’t think I saw all of it!! There is one train going round to all the lobbies which is good if you can get on it. Then there are little carts going to the villas which are lovely especially at night when you just want to get to bed. We had gold bands so were able to get the Royal Suite carts, but only two of us had them, some of the bellboys would take us all no problem, but a couple refused saying no only two of us, I understand that if the buggy was full, but when it was empty! So we walked.

Walking….. lots of it!! To get to the pool/buffet etc there are two large bridges with lots of steps, ok for us able bodied but very tiring! But if you had buggies… awful. By the end of our stay… my feet were a mess and I had extra muscles from all the walking!

One tip… get on the trains before the theatres kick out otherwise you could wait an hour! It’s a free for all!!

Staff
Staff were always courteous and most of them friendly, maybe they are quite shy but we found them to be somewhat indifferent at times, we are used to the warm happy staff at Punta Cana so it was quite a change for us. They work very hard at all times though. Some staff shone through more than others. We sometimes had to wait a bit to be served in several places, and more often than not would just go to the bar ourselves.

Excursions
We only did one excursion booked via one of the tour desks, it was to Talum including an adrenaline tour as well. We visited the ruins with a tour guide for about 45 minutes then had some free time so we went to the beach which is beautiful, it was very hot and there was not a lot of shade so the beach was a welcome cool down. The ruins are amazing. We also saw part of the beach that was closed because the turtle had laid eggs, it was lovely to see the track marks.

We then had Mexican lunch in a restaurant and you just had to pay for your drinks, there are several shops at Talum which we were not aware of so take some money with you.

After lunch we were taken by bus to the adrenaline part of our tour run by Maya Adrenaline. This included quad biking, abseiling, zip wire and a swim in the cenotes. The quad biking or ATV was a bit hairy! But loved the rest, it was a fun packed day and well worth the money. ($90 each)

We also took a taxi into Player del Carmen. There were lots of shops and restaurants and if I went back I would definitely go again and maybe eat this time as the food smelled amazing. We walked till our feet dropped off! There are so many shops so we stocked up on our souvenirs; the prices are so much cheaper than resort shops, especially the market type ones. You will be hassled all the time to come in to the shops! Just give them a polite no and they leave you alone. Watch out for the men saying, hi I know you, you are from my hotel where I work and they name it, of course seeing it from your bands! I had read about this before leaving so just carried on walking! I’m not sure what they are trying to lure you into!! On the way home there are taxis everywhere! Just agree a price before you leave, it was hassle free.

Would I go back… yes in a heartbeat, it is a beautiful resort…. But my heart lies in Punta Cana.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Watfordweekenders
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Watfordweekenders,

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your last stay with us. I feel glad to realize that you did have the wonderful vacations expected, specially being a repeater guest that enjoyed your previous visits in our other resorts.

Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have been to many resorts over the past few years along the coast and can honestly say that we have had the best experience I've ever had over here. Everyone I talked to there was really helpful and willing to take the time. They have an amazing beach and really fun pools with a great active staff including people in activities.

I want to give a special shout out to Barbara, Memo, Lolo, Pedro, ‎Fabiàn, Checko and Onesky of the entertainment staff in the white sands/riviera pool for making this the best stay of my life. They are all amazing people.

The other guests were also a really big blast to get to know and vacate with. Food, experience room and everything else was an A++ experience. This was also the first resort where I had no problems with something in the room breaking. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking to take a trip out.

Room Tip: I was in building 56 and had no complaints, it isn't a building overlooking the ocean though.
2 Thank Dmitri H
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Dmitri H,

Thank you for your good comments and for the feedback, as our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests, and the way we can do it is to know what our guests like and the things we can enhance.

We are happy to understand that you and your family enjoyed your stay, and please, do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything further we can do from this end.

Kindest regards,
montreal canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We Went to this resort for the first time last month. We were travelling with a 16 month old baby and here is our review.
After visiting the GP in Jamaica, the year before we had a positive feeling about this chain.
As it was our first time here we noticed the difference at this resort is that most employees had only very basic English skills compared to Jamaica. This is an understandable as you are in Mexico but it was really annoying one morning when I had left early to go for a walk before breakfast and had walked through a sprinkler that was dispensing not water but disgusting fertilizer probably directly from the SEWAGE SYSTEM. I found this out after asking one of the gardeners. Thank God I was not walking with my baby that morning as I usually do. A couple of days later I noticed they do this every morning throughout the resort before 6 am and many are blocking your path to the bridges, lobbies, etc. When I went to complain it seems that they did not understand what I was explaining to them. Also, we felt the 1 hour, 45 minutes bus ride to the resort to be too long but we were aware of that before we arrived and the bus was actually a small mini van with only 2 other couples so it was a bit tight but bearable. The bus ride was uneventful .
The rooms were dated but cleaned well and re-stocked everyday. The grounds are nice but not as tropical as you find in Jamaica.
We found the food to be average and the a la carte's just ok with the exception of the Italian and Ribs N More.
The beach was great though and so was the kids club and we discovered that you could actually push a stroller on the sandy part of the beach very easily as the ground is firm and the sand not that deep.
As everyone has pointed out in previous reviews this resort is very large and the maps and directional signs do not make any sense. We found out the second to last day we were there how to navigate the place on our own. The best way is to walk the beach.
We went to a Disney kids show one evening and it was actually pretty good. There were Disney characters and at the end of the show you can take pic with Mickey and your child.
Overall the staff did the best they could and were always very friendly but we found the language barrier with some key people at the reception desk for example to be discouraging.
Would I return to this resort, probably not but now I have a good argument basis with my wife to convince her that we are going back to Jamaica next year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank jamaicamania
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear jamaicamania,

First and foremost, thank you for your comments about your holidays in our resort and for taking the time to share your observations. About the situations that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.

We are working every day in order to improve our services and we really appreciate all comments that help us to be a better hotel.

Thanks again and please, feel free to contact us if you decide to visit us again, so we can do our best to take care about your reservation and I’m sure you will appreciate the improvements in our service.

Kindest regards,

Nipomo, California
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We just returned from a 7 night family trip and stayed at the white Sands in bldg. 59. We have stayed at many all inclusives and this one had the worst quality of food and service by far. The hotel just seems to be poorly run and most employees we encountered were not helpful. Our check in was over 45 min., no one in line either, and the attendant didn't educate us on anything. We were very confused how the reservation system worked for ala cartes and it turns out you can only make a reservation for either the beach seafood restaurant (which is really a beach bar during the day) or the japanese teppan. The service is painfully slow at all the ala carte restaurants and that could be why there's always a 45 min. wait to get in. We did find if we got to the restaurant by 7:15 pm, we could get in easier. The last night at the Mediterranean restaurant, we were 1 of 2 tables and it took over 30 min. to get our entrees and another 30 min. to get desert!

Rooms: we stayed in a suite which was nice but nothing special. The beds and pillows were some of the worst I've ever slept on. The sheets are so scratchy and uncomfortable too. Our air went our 2 times including the first night, and the air was hit or miss throughout the whole time but we didn't bother to call more often. We never got a restful sleep and couldn't wait to get home to sleep in our own beds! We had spotty room cleaning and some days we didn't get enough towels and wash cloths but too many shampoos! Our location was great...there was a bridge connecting us to beach and it was easy to get chairs, though very cheap and uncomfortable, under a palm tree or umbrella. The breeze was amazing compared to the pool area. The active pool at the colonial's overall depth was 5'3 so if you're an average height woman, you're on your tippy toes the whole time.

Tours: We did the tortoise snorkeling which was amazing. Saw barracuda, large fish, and many turtles. The guide Omar was excellent. We also heard lots of amazing stories about the cenotes so we hired a van through the hotel and went to Aktum chen. They have 3 "tours" you can do: the zip lines, the cave and animal tour, and the cenotes. Our family loved all 3 and felt the guides were informative and funny. Swimming in the cenotes was a highlight of the trip for sure. never seen such clear water!
My husband and I had massages at the spa for a 2 for 1 deal and I highly recommend it. Someone from the spa walks around the beach and pool so look for him. The spa is beautiful and has it's own pool, lazy river, jacuzzis, cold plunge pool, showers and more. The masseuses were professional and experienced.

Getting around: OMG the maps in this place are SO confusing!!!! We wasted alot of time getting lost but it wasn't as bothersome as the food and beds. We found from the white sands it was easiest to walk along the beach to colonial pool and restaurants until the last day where we found an easy route via the road. We never took the shuttles because we enjoy walking and getting some exercise but you are sweaty.

Overall we had a good time w/ family but felt this resort was overrated by other trip resort reviews!

4 Thank onedoglover
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear onedoglove,

I am sorry to hear that your stay and experience at the Gran Palladium White Sand Resort and SPA was a disappointing one. About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations. .

Again, I would like to apologize for your experience in your last vacations. While the staff at Palladium does their best to make sure that our guests have a great experience while with us, at times we do fall short in our efforts.

I hope you can give us another opportunity and come back to let us show you the Palladium hospitality. If there is anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Edmonton
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We have been going to the Grand Palladium for several years now. The last 3 trips we stayed in the Royal Suites but this time we had our daughter with us again so we thought we would make a return visit to the White Sands.

We were there from June 1 - 7. We were a bit concerned about the forecast because it ranged from not too bad, to some rain to a tropical depression. The latter can bring heavy and non-stop rain for several days. We were lucky because although it rained quite a bit on Monday the rest of the week was fine. We didn't get a ton of sun but you will tan just fine when it's cloudy.

The resort was about 80 to 90% full. We had no problems finding a nice quiet spot on the beach or at the White Sands pool. The Colonial pool was quite busy with lots of people from Spain in particular. However, even there you could always find a place to sit. The new kid's pool looks very impressive!

As usual every day we did a lot of walking because the resort is great for this. Some people think the Palladium is too large but we like having the room to stretch our legs for a nice walk. The beach in particular is great from the north end of the resort to past the salt water pool. One afternoon my daughter and I walked around the resort for some photography and we were amazed what we came across with respect to lizards, birds and interesting plants.

Although we have seen the shows a few times now we went to one or two most nights. They are always a nice way to finish the day. The pirate show is great and we always like the Mexico show.

We ate at the a la cartes most nights. The food was very good to excellent as it was at the buffets. Again, most places were busy but not excessively so. The meals that we had at El Jardin were the best we have had to date. Although some people complain about AI food you can always eat healthy at the Grand Palladium - nice grilling stations for fish and chicken and no shortage of fresh fruit.

I've been learning Spanish since last September in preparation for a trip to Peru and South America next May. The staff were very patient as I was practicing my Spanish which I much appreciated. It really does add to your trip to be able to converse with the staff in their own language (not including Mayan of course).

We had a great room which included a partial ocean view. We were very fortunate to get this room because ocean view rooms are in short supply with the expanding vegetation. There hasn't been a hurricane for several years now so the trees in particular are getting quite large. Everything was spotless and there was none of the tropical musty smell.

As a final note, we really appreciate the Palladium staff. Because we have been several times we recognize some of the staff and almost all provide great service. I suspect those that don't are either overly busy or perhaps a bit timid about not speaking English. A big thanks to Betty and Laura in the White Sands for their hospitality.

I didn't give the spa top marks because a couple of things weren't working when we went. However, no big deal and we enjoyed the spa a lot. My wife went twice - once for a hot stones massage and second time for a facial/manicure/pedicure. She said both were great.

People ask why we return to the Palladium each year. There are many reasons but we just do and plan to keep doing so into the future. There is lots to see and do both on and off the resort and this part of Mexico is very safe.

Room Tip: Don't worry too much about what room you get. We have stayed all over the resort and have been h...
5 Thank KeishaT
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear KeishaT,

Assistant Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!