Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
3,080 results
All reviewsribsthe salt water poolimperial suitefishcolonial poolel doradopunta emiliaa la carte restaurantsadult pooltravel clubbeach barone bedroom suitekids clubriviera sectionsegway tourcolonial buffetcolonial kantenah
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We have recently booked 2 weeks at the White Sands for this coming November. This will be our 7th trip and the 3rd in the last 12 months. We spent a week last November and another week this April. Every trip has been fantastic. People are always friendly and do their best to please. We did have a problem with no hot water in the room for 2 days on trip 2. We called the front desk and within a short time they began to work on the problem.
On trip 1 there was slow service in the Mexican restaurant and the food was so-so. We did not go back to this restaurant until last trip and it was very good. All other food has been great. Good food and a very wide selection to choose from.
We spend a lot of time on the beach and pools and there is never a problem finding a place to sit. The beach is great for us as there are sandy sections for swimming and rocky sections for snorkeling. It is always clean except for the odd day depending how the wind blows when seaweed washes on shore. On those days they have a crew out early morning to clean it up. It is a big job and can take a good part of the day even with 10-12 employees working on it(all by hand with rakes, no tractors). We have always stayed in building 58 as it is close to the beach but a bit far from the lobbies. It is perfect for us and we have requested it once again in November.
It always amazes me how sloppy and discourteous some guests are no matter where you travel. They never pick up after themselves although there may be a trash can only feet from them. They treat resort staff (many of whom do not speak English) like 2nd or 3rd class citizens. We have found that a little courtesy and respect go a long way wherever you travel. In Mexico try saying Hola(Hello) with a smile to everyone, and they will usually respond with a smile and a Hola back to you. Por favor (Please) and Gracias (Thank You) are a couple of other simple words that can make your vacation more enjoyable. I am not fluent in Spanish but before we go in November I will be reviewing and learning more simple Spanish words and phrases to help make this next trip as enjoyable as all the others.
When you read poor reviews, ask yourself, how did those people treat the locals.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Cobblestonekw
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Cobblestonekw,

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your last stay with us. I feel glad to realize that you did have the wonderful vacations expected, specially being a repeater guest that enjoyed your previous visits.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We recently visited Grand Palladium. Overall, this is a great hotel and we loved the actual place. However, our so called membership we bought last year (3 weeks) was all of a sudden only a "trial membership." The hotel representative, Brisa, greeted us upon our arrival but soon began a web of lies. As soon as we saw the regular purple bands, we asked her why we were not getting the color reserved for members and if we could use the new lounge (reserved for members) and she flat out lied and said yes, we could still use it. She told us to relax and that she would explain everything to us. We told her that we wanted to upgrade to a suite and she offered to take us to the new area to see if we could get a room there (since all the suites were taken in the whole resort). She handed us an invitation to a catamaran cruise and told us it was on them as a thank you. What she did not tell us was that the next day when we met up with her for our tour to the new area, reserved for members, was that we were being obligated to sit through another 90 minute presentation in order to become full members. When we declined the invitation, all the perks were suddenly taken away from us (the catamaran trip, the one day spa, the additional one night reservation to a sit-down restaurant). We were treated as less than valuable guests by her supervisor as well. After that, the travel club members chose to ignore us and when we confronted them that we were not allowed to use the lounge, they disregarded our concerns and told us that we were not able to use it and that was it. We will NEVER be back at this resort ever again. The people overall are nice but most do not act like they want to be there, especially the staff at the buffets. We are not picky travelers and we understand that not everyone has a good day, however, it was nearly impossible to try and get good service most of the time. It's unfortunate since the place is very nice and the beach is outstanding. Just one caution to all of you travelling here, and that is do not fall for all the false promises, especially if you are not interested in becoming members. Overall, our experience was a very disappointed one this time around.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with kids, suites are more private although there is an additional fee.
4  Thank NY-CO-Piper
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2014

Dear Pipermurphy,

First and foremost, thank you for your comments about your holidays in our resort and for taking the time to share your observations. About the situations that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.

We are working every day in order to improve our services and we really appreciate all comments that help us to be a better hotel.

Thanks again and please, feel free to contact us if you decide to visit us again, so we can do our best to take care about your reservation and I’m sure you will appreciate the improvements in our service.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

My review will be divided into 3 sections. The Good. The Bad. And Tips.

The Good.

1) Our check in was speedy. (We were the only people to arrive at our particular time!) and the lady at check in was nice.

2) The food was great! The dry buffet (You can't go in wet like you can at the pool buffet) is located on the Riviera side (very close).If you eat there try to sit in Wilberth's section. He goes out of his way to make you feel welcome. The buffet has a ton of selection. Ribs and More, Portofina (not sure of the spelling) and El Dorado are not buffets but you don't need a reservation. The food in all three was awesome. The servers at Ribs and More (Carlos and Walter) were awesome! As was our server at El Dorado.

3) The grounds are well kept. Our room was nice.

4) The entertainment staff offered lots of activities for everyone. They are a happy, friendly group for sure!

5) Because it is such a big resort (there are 4) there are lots of different pools to go to. There is the shallow pool (at White Sands) and a deeper pool at Colonial and a kids section with water slides. There is also a salt water pool!

6) We never found it hard to find seats under the shade, no matter what time we went to the pool.

The Bad

1) The bartenders are some the most unfriendly people around. Sullen (as in-- grumpy and extremely unwelcoming), and prone to ignore you (unless you speak spanish --then you may fair a little better.) We did not find one bar where they were nice. The worst by far though were the bartenders at the White Sands swim up bar and the bartenders at the wet buffet bar. Awful!

2) Not all servers are created equal. And I don't just mean speed of service. That is why when we found one we liked (Marlen in the buffet, Wilberth (also in the buffet), Carlos, Walter we tried (sometimes in vain) to be seated in their section again. (No need to worry if you go to Ribs or More though. All the servers there seemed to be friendly).

Tips

1) If you believe in tipping (we do) bring lots of small bills because trying to get your bigger bills changed there is a real challenge. Your best bet--the bellboys. If you want to try the front desk don't go too late. I even tried the bartenders and they claimed they had not small bills. Yea, right!

2) We were in block 58 and it was close to the shallow pool and the deep pool so it was perfect. Didn't hear any loud music or noises once we retired for the night either.

3) If you want to eat at one of the sit down restaurants go early unless you want to wait. They get very busy.

4) The salt water pool is very rocky so you would need watershoes.

5) Our WestJet rep warned us that the Travel Club is actually their Time Share. We passed on the free gift that you needed to go pick up from them.

So, would we go back to Mexico? Definitely! It's beautiful, warm and there is lots to see.

Would we go back to this particular resort? Probably not. I am sure we can find one where there are more Wilberths and Carlos and less sullen bartenders.

Would I reccommend the resort to a friend? I would give them the facts and let them decide. We did have a good time but let's face it-- the people make the place and we would like to find someplace next time where we don't have to deal with so many sullen people.

Room Tip: Blocks 56, 57, 58 and 59 are all close to the shallow pool in White Sands, the deeper pool in Colonial. Quiet at night.
8  Thank Denise B
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Denise B,

I am sorry to hear that your stay and experience at the Gran Palladium Riviera Resort and SPA was a disappointing one. About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations. .

It is true that our hotel receives guests from different nationalities. There are national and international guests and we always try to make each of our guest’s vacations a memorable experience.

Again, I would like to apologize for your experience in your last vacations. While the staff at Palladium does their best to make sure that our guests have a great experience while with us, at times we do fall short in our efforts.

I hope you can give us another opportunity and come back to let us show you the Palladium hospitality.

If there is anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I will start my review by saying that I have stayed at the Grand Palladium Resort in Jamaica, so I have another Grand Palladium to compare to. The Grand Palladium in Jamaica is far and away better than this one. The people are more friendly and WANT to help you and friend you. The people here tend to avoid you. I am a Travel Club member. When I would enter the Travel Club area at the Colonial, Maria wouldn't even stop what she was doing to acknowledge I was standing in front of her. I would have to say, "Excuse me, before she even acknowledged me." She was just rude and made it clear that I was a bother to her. Other times, there was no one in the travel club to assist me.

Twice during our stay, our mini bar was not restocked. I called the front desk and they said they would make a note of it. I guess that's all they did, because our mini bar wasn't stocked until the next day.

One day house keeping didn't come to our room. I called the front desk who promptly sent them. We were out when they came. When we arrived back to our room, they had taken the two extra blankets we requested. I called the front desk to have them brought back. They arrived with sheets. While they were gone to get the blankets, I went into the bathroom. We were COMPLETELY out of toilet paper and all bathroom amenities. The floor hadn't been swept or mopped. All they had done was make the beds and leave. The trashcans didn't even have liners. :( And I highly suggest asking for a specific time of day to have housekeeping arrive. It never failed, that they would show up when we had gone back to the room to change or cool off.

The resort touts it's many a la carte restaurants. This was by far the worst part of the entire resort. The a la carte restaurants are horrible and the service is slow. At Ribs and More, we waited over an hour for our main course. I asked to speak with the manager and was told there wasn't one. We did enjoy the hibachi restaurant and the Mexican restaurant, at which we did receive good service. But the other restaurants I cannot recommend. The service was SLOW! The food was horrible.

The beach is really nice as are the pools. The choices for excursions are great as well. I highly recommend swimming with the dolphins at Delphinus and taking a trip to XCaret.

The one person who really saved the day for this resort is Jose Poot. He is a bellman for the Travel Club. We absolutely loved Jose. He was very friendly and outgoing. His English was great and he was always offering to help us. If Jose couldn't help us, he would send someone who could. He joked with my children and they just loved him. They didn't want to ride with anyone but Jose. :) Jose Poot is a true asset to this resort.

Do not expect to be able to exchange currency at this resort. They have very little Mexican money and only $20's at the front desk. If you need change, your best bet is asking the bellman. To be honest, the service at the front desks is lacking. Even as a member of the travel club, I was still left waiting a long time.

To be honest, I can't see what the benefit of being a Travel Club member really is. Others who were not members booked for the same or less than I did. There was no benefit to the Travel Club. Our concierge, Demian, was okay. But didn't follow up on issues I brought to his attention. For example, I asked for a glass of wine. I was brought a bottle and charged for a bottle. I mentioned this to Demian on the second day we were there. When we checked out, the bottle of wine was still charged to my account. I was FORCED to pay for the bottle of wine or miss my transportation to the airport. I kept asking to speak to the resort manager but was not allowed.

And the beds are SO INCREDIBLY HARD!!! I have always said, "I could sleep anywhere". I'm not a picky person. But sleeping on the hard mattresses at the Grand Palladium was very difficult. I woke up each morning feeling like I had been beat. I actually slept on the couch one night and it was MUCH more comfortable.

The resort was fun, the ocean was great, the excursions were exciting ... but the staff at this resort were horrible. They really were the Debbie Downers of the trip. :(

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 56. I would recommend it due to it's location. It is central to everything and has a train station just outside the door. Easy access to White Sands lobby and Colonial lobby as well as the pool and ocean.
7  Thank MNoxon

Dear MNoxon,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our family of 5 stayed at the resort from july 1st - 8th. This was our 4th stay in 5 years. The beach and grounds our awsome and kept extremely manicured. The facilities are always spotless, the pools, weight room, dining and buffet areas and walking areas...The rooms were spotless when we arrived and recieved a fruit basket. the fridge was always kept full with water and soda. A special thank you to Marleen, in customer services, and all the chefs that helped with my daughters special dining needs..The dining experiences werent quit as good as they have been in the past, probably due to the amount of people that were there. We normally go in winter months and there is a smaller crowd. This trip the buffets and beach were extremely busy. Even with that, i would say the food was still above average and the only reason i gave a 4 star rating. We also dove 2 days and had 4 wonderful dives. The staff at Aqua Excursions were awsome. 2 years ago my eldest son and I came down and got our open water certification and this trip my 12 year old son recieved his open water. A big "thank you" to Mayra and Rudy and the whole Aqua Excursion staff for making our vacation complete..
Overall our 4 th stay was excellent and cant wait till we return.

Room Tip: there can be lots of walking, so try to pick a room closer to those things you want to do..there is also a train that runs and if you have special needs they will always send a golf cart for you..we have stayed in the same building the last 3 trips, so once you find your spot you will always want it the next trip.

Dear iloveriveriamaya2012,

Thank you for your good comments and for the feedback, as our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests, and the way we can do it is to know what our guests like and the things we can enhance.

We are happy to understand that you and your family enjoyed your stay, and please, do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything further we can do from this end.