“21st birthday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
“21st birthday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 10 nights in August was absolutely beautiful loved every minute.

Went the the girlfriend and we hated the thought of leaving would 100% recommend this to any couple seeking a fun chilled place.

Spent days in the sap was lovely and cleaned and massages were brilliant.

Only problem I came across was how big the place was and it's so confusing with directions and lobby's. Eventually you get used to it and jump on the train to the next lobby with ease !

Staff are unbelievable and bend over backwards for you. Give them a tip also and they appreciate it so much.

Swimming pools are great one what's a bit more lively and of course the adult pool. Very clean also.

Swim up bar could be bigger and the water a little bit shallower, I found that I was just walking back to the steps with my arms in the air and my head in the water trying to save my cocktails that might be me being a midget though 5ft7!

The rooms where fantastic, baths with jets and cleaned everyday without fail. Mini bar always filled also only problem is I didn't have a bottle opener so for te first few days I couldn't have a bear at the room until I found a shop!

We went to cancun for the day and did some excursions I recommend the snorkelling/speed boats

ALL restaurants were amazing and very cool, air conditioned nicely, recommend the Brazilian (if your not a vegetarian thAt is)
My girlfriend loved the Chinese but hey ho they were all beautiful.

Met some nice family's/couples out there and the night entertainment was wicked. White party's on the beach the lot!

Would love to stay again, hopefully for longer there is so much to see and do in Mexico !!

Thanks very much!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jordan J
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Jordan J

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your last stay with us. I feel glad to realize that you did have the wonderful vacations expected.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Kindest regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

There are definitely pros & cons.
Pros. The place is beautiful. All the lobbies clean you see hard working employees everywhere cleaning and very friendly. The view from the saltwater pool is breathtaking and love the sand on the beach enjoyed walking every morning. We had a connecting suite traveling with two teenage girls glad the rooms connected. We requested ocean view but not available until mid-week. We changed rooms from a 1st floor in villa 62 to 3rd floor villa 63 very glad we did you get a nice breeze and a little view of the ocean. You just can't help that the trees grew. Never seemed to wait to long for a ride but liked to walk thru the jungle saw some animals and birds we never saw before. Liked the saltwater pool area best. Never crowded always a place to sit and not noisy, J. Carlos at the bar was always friendly. Not big drinkers he made frozen peach juice for us. The restaurants at the white sands were not crowded we never had to wait more than 15 minutes as long as you got there by 7. Waiters always pleasant and food good. Ate at Rodizio, Ribs & more, Portofino, Bamboo and Mare Nostrum, Punta Emilia (favorite) and the Buffet. Always enough food, and good choices we have some picking eaters and waiters always helped and were very patient. Definitely would recommend the spa we had a couples massage and used the spa facilities. You can go to the spa for $10.00 a day at least do that you will be pleased you did it was a nice relaxing time.
Cons. Daughter's Ipod went missing 10 minutes after arriving she set it on her luggage went up to the check-in came back it was gone. The lobby was not crowded and I asked all the near by employees no one saw anything. Rooms were not ready and when ready went to the room and the keys did not work had to go back to the lobby for a new set a half hour round trip.Did not get our request room originally had to change rooms during the week so we had to pack everything. 1st room the furniture was filthy would not sit on it. Maid only cleaned one room said the Do not disturb sign was on the door it was joining rooms with the door open and no sign same thing happened at the new room but they did come clean when we went to diner. Refrigerator in the second room did not work and had to go to 3 buildings to get an ice machine that worked. My husband likes beer and they only serve beer in plastic cups which gets warm fast it would be nice to have bottles with buckets of ice. Recommend taking insulted cups with you.

Excursions definitely book the Aqua dive/snorkel to Cozumel we had 2 divers and 2 snorkelers in our group. They handle everything all the transportation. Did 2 dives 100ft, 60ft. and 3 snorkel areas a 40 minutes and 2 that were 20 minutes and then lunch it was a great day. Very professional always felt safe.
Segway tour, My husband and daughter loved it great way to get a feel for the resort.

Room Tip: Decide if you would rather be closer to the pool or beach, ask for a third floor for better views an...
4 Thank Jan H
Dear Jan H,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your last holidays with us. For us is essential to know all the opinions from our guests and what we need to do to better meet their expectations, in fact we are already working in some of the observations you made.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Have just returned from a 2 week holiday in the Colonial Section of the Grand Palladium. This was a return visit as we stayed there 2 years ago and absolutely loved it. We went with my sister and brother-in-law, who have stayed at another location in the Riviera Maya, and I couldn't wait to see what they thought of this resort. Like us, they absolutely loved it! This resort, the restaurants, the facilities and the staff are exceptional - there is absolutely nothing to find fault with. We will definitely return again and we'd have no hesitation in recommending this resort to others. Thank you to all at The Grand Palladium for our wonderful 5 star vacation.
Irene and Deryk Smith (Scotland)

Room Tip: The Colonial rooms are handy for lobby, pool and beach.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Irene S
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Irene S,

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your last stay with us. I feel glad to realize that you did have the wonderful vacations expected, specially being a repeater guest that enjoyed your previous visits.

BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is our 3rd time staying at a Grand Pallidium and we always had great experiences in Riveria Nayarit and Jamacia.

We were booked to stay in the Kantenah side however when we checked in we were told we were getting an upgrade over to the Riveria side and that our room was ocean view. After taking 2 shuttles around the resorts we arrive at building #63 to find out there are no ocean view rooms. Then we asked if we can please have a room over on the Kantenah side as it was closer to the kids club and pool. We then shuttled back with all our luggage to the lobby to find out there are no rooms left and we have to take the building #63. It took us 4 hours to check in with our 2 children ages 6 & 3. This was after being in a plane and bus all day so we were not very happy as we just wanted to go for a swim. It seemed every time we would ask a staff member a question they would simply say yes and never return. We asked 8 people were we could find pool towels and they would say yes and never hear back from them.
Our first few days we not enjoyable. It took us awhile to figure out were the buffets were located and our building is pretty much the furtherest away from any restaurant. I don't mind the walking but with kids the long walks to get food and go to pools etc were a bit much.

The beach on the Riveria side is all rocky so they made a salt water pool area. It was nice but not kid friendly. The Riveria side seemed better for adults.

We experienced everything from fire alarms at 4 am to loud neighbours, front desk calling us at 5am to see if everything is ok The room was large but dated. It took us awhile just to figure out how to get places and all the staff would tell us we need to take a shuttle. When your walking with all your beach gear for the day with 2 small children taking a shuttle then transfer just to get to the pool is ridiculous. The resort was very busy and shuttles were difficult to find at times.

After 4 days and us calling them 3 times a day they finally found us a room on the Kantenah side. It took us a half day to transfer rooms. We called at 830am to have help with our luggage to bring to our new room. At 930 a bell boy shows up on foot ( no golf cart ) to pick up our luggage and 3 other people with luggage. It took him awhile but he finally found a cart to load everyones luggage on but didn't have room for all the passengers. He took us to the Riveria lobby and then we had to check out and go to the Kantenah lobby and check in again. This process was extremely painful and took almost 2 hours. We were very happy to get in our new room building #49 by 1 pm. As we only had one week to spend here it was disappointing that we felt we were starting our vacation on day 5 at this resort.

The Kantenah side was much better and we could walk to the pool and beach areas without shuttles. The kids pool was great with the watersides. The kids club was really nice. Our kids were 3 & 6 and unfortunately if we left them there they had to separated due to there ages ( 3 yr old had to go to the baby club) My kids were not excited about that so we were not able to take advantage of the service.

Most people put towels on chairs early and never used the chairs all day. There were a few days were we did not have chairs until later in the day by the pool or beach.
Restaurants were great. My favourite was the Brazialian followed by Japanese and Ribs. Food selection was really good at restaurants and buffets. We did make it to a show over on the Riveria side and the professional dancers were amazing.

Our kids enjoyed the Raggs dogs and went to the Pido surf party & breakfast. It was more of a money grab to get the kids to buy the stuffies but they had fun.
The ardillos and iguanas around the resort were fun to see everyday. We also enjoyed using the basketball, soccer, and mini golf. My son thought the trains were great.

We enjoyed our last few days and service was better. The weather was not cooperating as there was a lot of rain and wind and our dives were cancelled 4 days in a row.

If we were not so far removed from everything the first 4 days it would have been much more enjoyable. We choose an all inclusive resort as we thought it would make travelling more relaxing with young kids. This resort states it is family friendly, and they are lots of great things for kids to do, however the staff is not helpful at all when it comes to needing a bit of extra assistance. This is my last trip to an all inclusive and most defiantly a Grand Pallidium. Honestly I would not even go back if they offered me a free week.

Room Tip: There are no rooms close to the pools or beach. If your wanting to use kids clubs/ pools stay in the...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Worldtravellers69
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Worldtravellers69,

First and foremost, thank you for your comments about your holidays in our resort and for taking the time to share your observations. About the situations that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.

We are working every day in order to improve our services and we really appreciate all comments that help us to be a better hotel.

Thanks again and please, feel free to contact us if you decide to visit us again, so we can do our best to take care about your reservation and I’m sure you will appreciate the improvements in our service.

dedham, ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Yes, I did have to walk quite a bit but I did not want to wait for the shuttles. I was in one of the last buildings in this section (67) and it was very quiet at night. The closest beach was rocky but it was a nice walk along the shore to get to the saltwater pool. I spent most of my time at the White Sands pool. The animation staff was great and I never had to worry about finding a chair in the shade. I also ate at the buffet in the White Sands lobby and it was never crowded. For lunch, the laguna buffet at the White Sands pool was awesome. I did not see people tipping to get better service. I found the bar staff and wait staff very attentive and the food was delicious. I ate a lot of fresh fish at lunch and dinner; grilled right before my eyes.

I am planning a return trip with my family this July. I met people from all over the world! Knowing a little Spanish does help with staff interactions but being polite goes a long way. I could not count the times I witnessed people being rude and acting entitled. If possible, show some interest in the people you meet and you will have a completely different experience.

Room Tip: The Colonial pool seems more geared to kids and families.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank wackyjacqui
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear wackyjacqui,

Thanks a lot for such a delightful review about your last holidays in our resort. Reading it made us feel happy for being part of the team that made possible to offer you a memorable vacation.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

For a lot more info see the "fan club" web site www.palladiumaddict.net

We rated Palladium 5 stars in 2011. Marked it down to 4 in 2014 due to maintenance issues and a "kerfuffle" with check-in.

We booked via WestJet Vacations via their web site. They hiccupped a little when we redeemed our "WestJet Dollars" against the flight ... took 1/2 hour of their agent's time, had to cancel our reservation and make a completely new one. On the plus side they were great at changing our flights at the last moment when a death in the family necessitated a detour through Toronto from Edmonton on our way down.

Location, and travel to and from: Palladium is about 1 hour to the Cancun airport: with NO traffic hassles and NO intermediate stops at hotels. The closest town is Akumal which has a wonderful beach and limited services.

Check-in and check-out: Check-in and room assignment: only rated a 2 out of 4. Surely they could have cut us some slack for being returning guests, and e-mailing them a room request which simply confirmed what had been on WestJet's reservation all along. Preferences for Building (nope), Floor (OK), Non Smoking (OK) and Side of the building (nope).

We requested to switch rooms and wound up getting 3 out of our 4 preferences but it was an ordeal which blew the better part of a day. Why oh why do they want you to pack up, porter all your bags to the front desk, wait half a day for your "new" room to be made up, then porter the bags to the new room ... and this is to move to a room about 4 metres away, across the courtyard. In the end the very helpful front desk lady bypassed all the portering but we were still out of a room for the better part of the day.

Front desk personnel at check-in were a little clueless on the Gym (yes it is free, not $10) and the hours for the a la carte restaurants (open at 5:30 not 6:30).

On the plus side they had returned our e-mail with an advance copy of the check-in form which saved some time on arrival. See the Palladiumaddict web site for how to.

The rooms ... Junior Suite in the Riviera is certainly big enough to spread out in for 10 days. Good bed, TV has a middlin' assortment of channels. Jetted tub in the bathroom. Everything quite clean and (mostly) working, although showing its age compared to 3 years ago. Bathroom mirrors streaking due to corrosion. Loose floor tiles. Electrical fixtures just hanging there.
Mini bar fridges in the rooms (Riviera at least) are just plain funky. New, high tech and totally silent design; you may think they aren't working, but have patience and make sure the door is open on the cabinet which contains the fridge.

From the Riviera buildings there isn't a view of the ocean, just trees (ground floor) or tree tops (upper floors).

We got a nice breeze through our screen door which allowed us to sleep without the air conditioner. This was in building #61, on the windward (sea) side of the Riviera buildings. Downside was considerable noise from the bar "Las Rocas" until about 11 pm (didn't 3 years ago, must have changed?). The ocean side on buildings #63 and #64 would be noisier than our building.

The overall resort ...
The sheer size of the place wasn't a concern; we knew our way around. It is a little daunting for the first timer. Because most of the original forest remains intact, you cannot tell where you are without carrying and consulting the resort map, which is mercifully quite good and there are lots of "you are here" maps on the walking paths.

The Kantenah / Colonial side is of the resort is clearly busier than the White Sand / Riviera. Not all services are available in all lobbies all the time: e.g. Guest Services in the Riviera lobby is only staffed till 1:00 pm; after that you walk over to White Sand.

We noticed more up-selling this time, e.g. more fancy (and extra cost) entrees in the restaurants; e.g. lobster in the "Mare Nostrum" and charges in the Gym for what used to be free.

Compared to 3 years ago the place looked just a tad shopworn. Wooden steps and railings are rotting on the bridges across the lagoon, same for boardwalks in the mangrove swamp. (Arguably they are working on these but somewhere they got behind the 8-ball). Stained and torn upholstered seats in the Ribs & More restaurant. Make no mistake, it's still a heckuva lot nicer than a couple of other all-inclusives we have stayed at, just down a bit over 3 years.

WiFi: New is total site WiFi coverage: rooms, pool, beach (mostly). Not sure this is a good thing: you're supposed to be getting away from it all, right? They monetize the Wifi: room charge includes "standard" Wifi (translation: slow at times); you can pay extra for "premium".

Activities: Palladium have a large and active Recreation staff and they run everything from Zumba on the active side to Bingo on the sedentary side. Mama won a bottle of Tequila at Bingo! Evening stage shows are, as Mama put it, "prance around and shake your bootie". The "Colonial" show, at 9:00, is basically acrobatic dancing to recorded music. The "Riviera" show, at 10:15 is reputed to be a lot better but is too late for us.

The gym, in the spa building, is pretty good for a Mexican all inclusive: much larger and better equipped than most. The equipment is a little frayed around the edges, like most hotel gyms, and not all the locks and adjustments work. More up-selling: what used to free in the gym is now monetized. Pay $10 extra or book a spa session to use the lockers or the hydro massage area.

The beach is pretty good overall. The sand is quite smooth, hard and clean. Shade can usually be found under a palm tree or one of the little thatched shelters. The Kantenah (north) end of the beach is quite swimmable and this is where the roped off swimming area is. (Also where the big crowds of people are). As you move towards the Riviera (south) end of the beach it gets pretty rocky. There is a reef only about 50 metres off the Riviera end of the beach; bring your swim fins if you want to snorkel because they won't loan them to you there.

On the beach, you can borrow kayaks and snorkel masks (but not swim fins?!). We went snorkelling with "Underwater Technical World" who operate the resident dive shop. Spent about 30 min in the water at Akumal, a 20-30 minute boat trip from Palladium, cost US$40. Lots of sea turtles and a nice coral reef. Well organized, solid boat, professional looking.

Hemmingway's Bar off the Kantenah lobby is where you will find the site library which operates on the honour system, leave some, pick up some. Huge assortment of paperbacks, in several languages, covers a whole wall.

The food --- and isn't that a big reason to book an all inclusive?
Better than last time, all the a la carte restaurants were open every night, at least in March. No limit on the number of a la cartes you can use in your stay at the hotel (some resorts limit them). Every night one of the a la cartes is Adults Only which may be a boon if you want quiet.

The buffets are great: Huge but well labelled. Food choices are good and rotate themes throughout the week.
We had no problem at all with gluten-free / dairy-free diet.

Our a la carte impressions:
Good ---
- Punta Emilia, on the beach. Downside, you must book well in advance; reservations fill up by about 8:15 am the day before. Great atmosphere, nice entrees, super presentation.
- Rodizio. Traditional Brazilian meat on a skewer (more like a "sword"). Unique to Palladium.
- Portofino. Italian. Gluten free pasta options (!). Good meal.

Still good but not so stellar ---
-Ribs and More. Just OK entrees. Place looks shopworn (ripped and dirty seats).
-Bamboo. Asian. Nice sushi but overcooked salmon.
-Sumptuori. Japanese. Would have been "good" except the exhaust fan on the Teppan grill next to us was so LOUD as to rule out any conversation at all. Arguably only one fan out of four in the place made the racket --- likely a maintenance issue but why didn't they fix it already? And we would have reserved for the Teppan grill / show if we'd known it was by reservation.
-La Adelita. Mexican. Just average North American style Mexican food, arguably nicely presented and the salad bar had some unique offerings.

Great! Every single food service employee we saw wore a hair net.

Barbeque: BBQ's now are two nights a week and do not cost extra as long as you do not order lobster. (3 years ago cost extra and only once a week). The BBQ itself is ... well ... overcooked and thin meats but a big buffet of side entries and the light of the moon to eat by.

Room Tip: Take a look at the map on the Palladiumaddict web site. "Riviera" is a little quieter and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank energizer0_0
Dear energizer0_0,

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

My mother and I traveled to the Grand palladium riviera resort last week, along with my sister and brother in law. They own their own travel business, specializing in wedding destination vacations for couples in southern manitoba. They recommended this resort to stay at, because of the positive feedback from couples who booked with them. I am not surprised after our week long stay. Our vacation didnt start off that well. We ordered a room with two double beds. Our room that we were given had one queen size bed. My mother and I were not to pleased. Within a few minutes, someone knocked on our door. it was the bellboy, Eduardo, with our luggage. We told him of the situation and he took action by calling the front desk. After speaking with the desk he told us to pick up our carry on bags and he would drive us to the front lobby in his golf cart, to get this fixed. We went and spoke with the manager who gave us another room in villa 63. Eduardo drove us to the villa 63 and dropped off our luggage in the room. The time was around 6:30 pm and he drove us to the front lobby, where he pointed out where the buffet was located. We thanked him and i gave him a tip that he truly deserved. Our Room was clean and spacious. Our bathroom was big compared with other resorts we stayed at in the caribbean. We had a shower stall and a bathtub jacuzzi. Very nice. My mother liked the balcony and found it sheltered by the trees surrounding our villa.
Another thing we liked is that the resort is Celiac-friendly. My mother has a wheat allergy and our sister informed us that she was in touch with the food and beverage manager, Angel Parales. He informed us that he would meet with my mother on our first full day around 9 am. We meet him and he gave my mother a small green card that said :" palladium dietary card Celiac". She would present her card each time she went to the buffet or restaurant on this site. The Maitre'd would come over, introduce themselves and introduce her to the chef. The chefs gladly came over and explained which foods where celiac safe and good for her to eat. They would offer her a choice for dessert for lunch or dinner and deliver it to her at her table. Mom really appreciated the service and that they cared about her allergy. I enjoyed the food at the resort. We ate at the kabah buffet, tikul at kantaneh and la laguna by the pool. We enjoyed the service and how the staff greeted us each day. We also tried the restaurants too. we ate at portofino, ribs and more and la adelita. All were good and we enjoyed the food offered at each restaurant. Some restaurants fill up fast, especially the chinese restaurant, so it is a good idea to book a day in advance at the lobby. The resort is spread out. It is 5 resorts on one large complex. Bring some walking shoes or sandels when travelling to your destination. What we liked about this place, was the scenery around the resort. We would walk to the salt water pool and than follow the path leading to the beach every morning. My mother really liked the staff as well. Whether it was the serving girls at the buffet, the maintenance guys working around the resort, or the guys at the bar, when they said "hola", they really meant it and said it with a smile. We were impressed with the service and the selection of food. The resort wasn't perfect. The beach although nice to walk on and lounge around, was not friendly for swimming. On a few occasions, I stubbed my toes on rocks in knee high water. It is a good idea to wear your flippers or the waterproof shoes to protect your feet. Overall, I was glad to spend my vacation at the Riviera resort and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: villa 60 is close to the beach. Villa 63 and 64 are close to the salt water pool.
8 Thank sp1968
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear sp1968,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your last holidays with us.We are grateful for your kind comments about the staff and facilities.