“Amazing place....” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Redcar, United Kingdom
“Amazing place....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We went end of March beginning of April 2014.
Everything about this hotel is fantastic, we were a bit worried it would be too big - but that turned out to be a good thing. Love the fact you don't have to book the Alacarte restaurants and can just turn up. All restaurants and buffet halls were excellent food - couldn't fault any of it. The staff everywhere were extremely friendly at all times and always welcomed you with a Hola no matter where they were. This is one place I definately would go back to and I don't say that very often....!

Room Tip: Stay at the Riviera side - brilliant - get a top floor room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karen P
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Karen P,

Thank you for your good comments and for the feedback, as our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests, and the way we can do it is to know what our guests like and the things we can enhance.

We are happy to understand that you and your family enjoyed your stay, and please, do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything further we can do from this end.

Kindest regards,

Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

This was supposed to be the holiday of a lifetime and cost thousands but was ruined by the disgusting and selfish behaviour of unaccompanied, drunken teenagers from USA, Canada and Spain. We were plagued by drunken teenagers (over 1000 of them, all without supervising adults) barging in front at meal times and at the bar. Woken throughout the night as they screamed, shouted and sang at the top of their voices. Staff did nothing and they served them with alcohol even though many were in their early teens and majority under eighteen years old.
We complained to our rep every day and got a £12 entry to the spa to fob us off-big deal!!
Even though the setting is beautiful the fact that senior staff did absolutely nothing to challenge this boorish behaviour just shows how little they care about customer relations.
Food choice limited at buffet and restaurant food quality mediocre, and limited menu choice. Don't get duped by the concierge who will offer to show you the Travel Club complex, they try to con you put of $2000!! I wouldn't mind but they are part of the hotel staff and still try to get you to upgrade because they know the other rooms are poor quality. Never again, worst holiday ever.

Room Tip: Pay a fortune and get in to the Travel Club section to avoid poor quality, dingy rooms, we won't...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JimBobGrylls
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear James K,

I would like to give you thank you for your time and your comments. I will share this with the rest of the team.

I respect your point of view but in all moment, we have personal for to help our guest with anything.

If we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Best regards,

Grand Junction, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed in the Riviera Section for 8 days the end of May. I traveled with my husband, three kids and a family friend. I had emailed prior to our arrival to let them know we were coming for our 4th stay and I would prefer our rooms to be on the top floor, with an ocean view, if possible. When we arrived, they were not aware that we were repeat guests and were given the same wrist bands as our friend who was making her first visit. We were also placed on the bottom floor in the section furthest away from everything. I believe that if you visit a resort as many times as we have and spend as much money as we have, our requests should have a high priority. I do not believe for one minute, that there were no rooms available for us on the the top floor. The rooms on the bottom floor seemed to have a smell. Also, our shower would not drain properly and smelled like sewage. The shower was fixed after we called them to report the problem. After checking back in with them at the front desk the next couple of days, we finally found someone who would help us rather than just put our name on a list and say they would get back with us if something opened up. We were moved to building 61 (much closer to everything) and placed on the top floor with a very tiny ocean view. The room smelled much better and we were happy for the move.

The food was pretty good. We are not too picky and could always find something to eat. The bread is amazing. We always at at the al la carte restaurants. We tried to arrive before 6:30 and never had much of a wait. We did go to the Mexican restaurant at 7 one night. We were seated after about 20 minutes, but the food was still not there after 1.5 hours. It was a disappointment and I wish we had just gone to the buffet. The waiters felt terrible about the wait and we were not upset with them at all. We also ate at the brazilian, italian, Japanese show table, and ribs and more. We ate at Ribs and more 3 times. The first time my steak was great. Second time very tough. Third time average. We always found plenty to eat at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. The pool restaurant was always good, as well. I would say the food is above average, but not the best I've ever had.

Pools were warm and fun. The kids water park was great fun for my 7 year old daughter. The beach is beautiful. We always paint pottery when we go and we did it again this year on the Riviera side. The lady who takes care of the pottery is very nice and we also met her mother and enjoyed talking with them.

The transportation around the resort was frustrating and very slow at times. Other times rides would be immediately available. I don't mind walking so I would walk most of the time because you can predict how long it will take you to get somewhere. With the shuttles, no telling on whether you will get there fast or slow.

I had an 80 minute relax massage at the spa. It was very good and I would do that again. If you pay for a service at the spa, you can be there all day enjoying other parts of it. They said the pools, steam rooms ... they also had snacks. I didn't try any of that.

I would go back to this resort again. I feel like the workers work so hard and try so hard to make your stay special. I'm not one to be waited on or have people fuss over me --- but they really try to do everything to make your stay great. I did try and tip after each meal because I know that is probably appreciated tremendously. We talked to one of the shuttle drivers -- he lives 18 hours from his family and sees them hardly ever. It breaks my heart that he is there working so hard, fussing over spoiled vacationers, while missing out on his kids growing up. So if you go, tip well and appreciate all of the sacrifices these people make so that we all can have a fabulous vacation.

I also wish the resort would reward people like me who have visited multiple times. I think that my requests should have a priority, not just be fulfilled if its convenient or if you happen to ask the right person. I have money to spend and I have the choice to go anywhere I want ... this resort needs to remember that.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynn S
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Lynn S,

Thanks a lot for such a delightful review about your last holidays in our resort. Reading it made us feel happy for being part of the team that made possible to offer you a memorable vacation.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

Duncan, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Good:

We stayed in the Riviera section at Grand Palladium, and from walking all over this giant resort, I found our section to be the best. We were a short walk to both the beach and the pools. Riviera Building 60 was perfect for myself and my boyfriend. The beach was beautiful and you could find a spot at anytime of the day. I preferred the beach over the pools because I enjoy the sound of waves over music.

Out of the a-la-carte restaurants, the El Dorado was the best! I cant remember the name of our waiter but he was amazing. The buffets did not disappoint either, there are plenty of options for everyone.

The cappuccinos! So delicious in the restaurants. More of a latte, but still better than the regular coffee.

TAKE AN EXCURSION TO JUNGLE TULUM! That was by far the best day of our vacation.

The Not-So-Good:

Our room smelt like sewage (I couldn't pin point the smell but my boyfriend is a plumber and that was his immediate reaction). This must be why they offer aromatherapy for your room $$$.

The Mexican A-La-Carte restaurant (I cant remember the name) was TERRIBLE. Our meals took 45 minutes to arrive, with only 4 other tables there at the same time as us. The food was such a let down and the waiter couldn't understand when I told him about my allergy to eggs.

If you don't enjoy long walks, this resort is extremely large so I wouldn't suggest it. Yes there are shuttles, but with them comes waiting, and waiting.. and more waiting.

The Worst:

Out of our week stay, our room was only cleaned and stocked properly ONE TIME! There was always sand on the floor and our mini fridge didn't work.

MILAGROS is probably the most unfriendly, unprofessional, unhelpful guest service representative I have ever dealt with. I have no idea how she is working for this resort since she has absolutely no customer service.

Room Tip: Riviera 60/61 are close to both the beach and pools, I would suggest asking for the 1st floor since...
3 Thank Sharlene M
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear Sharlene M,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your last holidays with us. For us is essential to know all the opinions from our guests and what we need to do to better meet their expectations, in fact we are already working in some of the observations you made.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Bingley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We have just returned from a 3 week stay here & found the hotel room (we had a suite) excellent in most aspects.
Unfortunately the curtains came adrift from the pull on mechanism which we reported to front desk who confirmed someone would come & fix it but this didn't happen.
This should have been sorted that day when paying for a 5* hotel.
We could manage to pull the curtains closed manually so it wasn't a real problem for us.

The mirror in the bathroom had scratch marks on it which again isn't a real problem but these small things detract from what is billed as a 5* hotel.

The pool area & surround was really good - able to get sun loungers whenever we wanted & loads of room to move them about, also a fantastic entertainment team to keep everyone who wanted to, busy with various activities but didn't press you to join in if you didn't want to.

The shuttle transportation between here, White Sands & the Colonial & Kantenah was really good & overall we found that the staff in all areas couldn't do enough for us.

What we did find disappointing though were the a la carte restaurants that we visited.
The meats in the majority of these were quite tough & chewy rather than being tender as we expected. We also heard of other people making similar comments. The one restaurant that we did really like was the Mare Nostrum at Colonial & Kantenah & would recommend this to anyone visiting.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite which was really good with dual aspect & sun in the mornings usually.
1 Thank Judith_Bailey
Dear Judith_Bailey,

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I were celebrating our One Year Wedding Anniversary and decided to go to Grand Palladium in Mexico as we went to the Grand Palladium in Jamaica for our Honeymoon. Upon arrival to the Grand Palladium at 12:00 pm, we had to wait until 4:15 for our room. We were suppose to stay at the White Sands but were given the Riviera Suite. Once we got to our suite the security box did not work and the phone did not have the wire that runs from the phone to the outlet. I picked up the phone and said to my husband "Look! It's wireless!. We could not call the front desk and had to walk (15 minutes) back to the lobby to speak to someone at Reception. We were told to go back to our room and wait for someone to come and fix the security box and phone. We waited 2 hours, walked back to reception and complained about the lack of service. We were told to go back to our room and wait, someone will be there shortly. We waited another 2 hours!!!!!! We finally decided to go for dinner. Went back to our room - nothing was fixed. I also noticed that we did not get the guest bath robes or slippers. The next morning we complained again to the reception and only when I told them that I would scream, they had someone follow us to our suite to get the phone and security box fixed.
We had no water 2 nights in a row. We called reception and as usual were told that someone would be there right away with our water. We waited 2 hours and finally we decided to walk back to the lounge area and ask reception for our water. The only time we got service is when we left a tip!!!!! I asked for the pop to be removed from our suite as we did not drink it and stock up with more water and beer. That fell on deaf ears!!!! We took the pop out ourselves and marked the bottom of each one with a marker, the next day , after lunch the pop (same ones we marked) were back in the fridge!!!!! We spent 8 days at the resort and spent most of our time waiting for service of some sort. Jamaica was fabulous! Mexico - We will not be returning EVER!!!!!!!
We were Thankful for the trips we planned! Swimming with turtles, Ziplining and Tulum.

The rooms were not cleaned properly and yet I wondered why we had to wait for our room upon arrival.
Some bars on the beach would not serve you unless you had a tip to give them.

Don't waste your time going to Grand Palladium in Mexico!!!!!!! Go to Jamaica instead!!!!!

4 Thank Billzbrat
Dear Billzbrat,

I am sorry to hear that your stay and experience at the Gran Palladium Riviera Resort and SPA was a disappointing one. About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations. .

It is true that our hotel receives guests from different nationalities. There are national and international guests and we always try to make each of our guest’s vacations a memorable experience.

Again, I would like to apologize for your experience in your last vacations. While the staff at Palladium does their best to make sure that our guests have a great experience while with us, at times we do fall short in our efforts.

I hope you can give us another opportunity and come back to let us show you the Palladium hospitality. If there is anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Assonet, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We traveled May 2014 to the Grand Palladium in Mexico, stayed in the Riveria Resort complex. The hotel is huge, offering different options for your stay. The location is impressive, the beaches were amazing offering plenty of sun and shade. No issues with finding a chair at either the pool or beach. The outdoor beds by the salt water pool were wonderful.

The hotel room was was lacking in updates; holes in curtains, mirrors in bathroom broken or chipped, furniture damaged, etc. While the room appeared clean it gave you the feeling that you needed to look in every nook for cleanliness. The bed and pillows were so hard it was impossible to sleep on. Linens were scratchy.

This was our first all inclusive, done many cruises. While there was an abundance of food offerings for restaurants, buffet and beach side grills the food as simply not good. I expected some changes in preparation, etc but the overall quality just did not cut it.

The tram running from hotel to hotel was so inconsistent that we ending up walking (logged 15k steps everyday on my FitBit with no additional exercise). Hotel staff was friendly but could not assist with basic questions like "where can I find food at this time" or "how do i get from here to there".

As far as the entertainment it was okay. The resort "host" was funny and engaging. Plenty of pool side trivia, dance lessons etc. The nightly shows are tragic. I felt bad for the poor dancers having to perform in front of ripped curtains, poorly decorated props and bad sound quality of songs they were supposed to be signing (like skipping as the perform is acting out a high note).

The hotel is over an hour away from the airport. We used Lomas Travel to transport, they were very effecient and friendly. We also used them to book a day trip to the Talum Ruins. The ruins are beautful and the tour was great. Highly recommend them.

I chose this brand based on the rating, reviews and the fact that they appeared to be a well established resort brand. Others had offered up the El Dorado and Moon Palace. In a desire to stay budget friendly I think I made a poor decision.

Room Tip: Email a couple of weeks before your trip and ask for a room either near the beach or the pool, your...
4 Thank MelB296
Dear MelB296,

First and foremost, thank you for your comments about your holidays in our resort and for taking the time to share your observations. About the situations that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.

We are working every day in order to improve our services and we really appreciate all comments that help us to be a better hotel.

Thanks again and please, feel free to contact us if you decide to visit us again, so we can do our best to take care about your reservation and I’m sure you will appreciate the improvements in our service.

Kindest regards,