“Vacation & Birthday”

Birmingham, Alabama
“Vacation & Birthday”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Resort (Very Good):
Very beautiful resort upon arrival. Resort is spread out and you get to go to all 4 of the resorts which was neat! A lot of walking but you can ride a train to each resort, but plan on waiting. They also have trams running through each resort to take you to your rooms or other destinations throughout the resort. It was a hit or miss with those guys, though. The resort sits right on the Caribbean and was absolutely breathtaking! We really enjoyed the beach! My fiance and I tried the non-motorized water activities. The first day we did the kayak which was really fun! The man in charge needed our room key and ID and we only had a room key. He was nice enough to not make us walk all the way back to the room and just accepted the room key. The water was calm and the kayak was really peaceful. The second day we wanted to jetski or parasail but the wind was too much so they did not have those activities going unfortunately. We then decided to snorkel yet they were out of snorkeling equipment! How do you run out of that kind of stuff?! We ended up trying to wind surf and my fiance really enjoyed doing that! It was a lot of work but it was a really fun activity! The main pool was pretty good size and they have a swim up bar in it, but plan to wait a while to get a drink! They had an adult pool next to the main pool that we never went too. I was a little disappointed that they did not have louder music or any music some days. We did find a secluded pool and that was neat. On my birthday night, we were sitting in the bar area of one of the resorts and the power goes off in the entire resort (all 4!!). The power was off for an hour and a half!! Nobody told us why it went off or gave any information during the outage.The next day it went off AGAIN for 30 minutes. Overall, the resort was very beautiful and each one had their own personality.

Room (average):
We had a great room with a beautiful view of the lagoon. Room was kind of plain, though. We did, however, have a very cute towel arrangement made on our bed with flowers (first night only). We were told on our fun-jet information that we would have a stocked fridge in our room. While that was true, it was not cold at all and we only have beer, soda and water (no hard liquor). Yet, my parents had a bottle of tequila in their room. The rooms were very HOT! They were extremely hard to keep cool because any time you opened the door (including balcony) the air would cut off. Which meant when our maid was cleaning the room she kept the door open the entire time in there which let out all the cool air. So when returning from the beach to get ready for the night I was literally dripping sweat. Also, my parents and sister who were in two separate rooms received a special gift from the hotel which my fiance and I were never given?? The second to last night we had a flood in our bathroom from the shower (still not sure how it happened). The maid came to clean it up and after that our room smelt like sewer. Not sure if it was coincidence, but needless to say it was miserable.

Food and Restaurants: (Average)
The first night there was my sisters birthday. We did not know we had to make reservations at the restaurants (outside of the buffets). In order to eat at the good places, without a wait, you need to make reservations 24 hours in advance. With arriving the day of my sisters birthday that was obviously not possible and they did not seem to care. Also, my birthday was the following day and at that point it was too late to make reservations for that night because of the 24 hour rule. However, the lady was able to finally get us a reservation made for my birthday night which was very nice.

We ate the buffet for my sisters birthday which was average. They had a good selection of different foods but the quality of the food was just average. I did not find a lot of things that impressed me.

The night of my birthday we had reservations for Rodizio, a Brazilian steakhouse. Our party got dressed up and ready to go, only to get to the restaurant and be turned away!! Apparently they had a rule that all the men had to be in long pants! We were not made aware of that!! We told them that it was my birthday and they did not care. It not only was embarrassing but we were hungry and very disappointed! Not to mention, my dad and brother-in-law did not even bring long pants with them! Once again, we were left to eat at the buffet.

The next day we went and spoke to someone about getting reservations somewhere to explain to them what had happened. She informed us that no reservations could be made but we could get there and wait on first come first serve basis. Also, that they rented pants for a $20 refundable fee, which would of been nice to know in the beginning! That night we went back to the same restaurant. We got there right when they opened to be seated immediately. (Power went out right when we got in the restaurant and we waited it out for 30 min, but we were first in there so the seated us first when the power came back on). Food was amazing and service was the best we had had so far on the trip! It was very hot still from the power outage but all-in-all it was excellent!

We tried to do the same thing, show up based on first come first serve for the Japanese restaurant in Kantenah. Unfortunately, we got there at 8pm and there was a 45 minute wait. We decided to go have some drinks and wait it out. We were seated at 8:55pm (not too bad). Service was so-so and the restarant was very hot (no power outage as an excuse). We werent able to do the show because that was based on reservations only but the food was very good! I was satisfied!

The breakfast buffet was my favorite of them.

Outside Resort Activity (EXCELLENT):
We were recommended by our Fun-Jet representative to do Explor. It was $169 for an all day activity. It included zip-lines, cave swimming/paddling, ATV riding and other activities. It also included lunch and travel. The zip lines were amazing!!! They even had some that went through water! I would definitely recommend doing this activity if you have a day and want to get out of the resort! It was well worth the money. They even do a night one and if we had known earlier we would of tried that out, it looked awesome!

Service/Shows/Overall Experience (Poor):
I was very disappointed in service! I paid a lot of money for an ALL-INCLUSIVE resort and I did not feel that I got my moneys worth. The service was very spotty and we could never get solid answers to our questions/issues. We saw 2 shows but they were not that good. Entertainment was very disappointing. I did not feel involved in any activities (if they even had any going on I knew nothing of them)! In my opinion, there should of been a drink in my hand the entire trip I was there, I felt I had to work to get my drinks. The ONLY bartender that was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING was at the Riveria his name was Ulises. He found out it was my sister and I's birthdays and made us SEVERAL shots, one after the next, and he was very on top of his game! Needless to say we tipped him very good, but he was very attentive and was giving us what we paid for! If we had that the entire trip I would of been pleased but unfortunately we didn't. Upon check in they informed of us that they had 21 bars!!!! AWESOME!! And 2 of them were 24 hours!! HOWEVER, they did NOT inform us that those 2 bars did not serve hard liquor past 11am and the one closest to our rooms was still serving the reserved restaurant until 11pm, so it was not technically open to others. That was a big let down to our group. We wanted to hang out late and drink (get our moneys worth) yet all the bars closed at 6-8pm except two and they only served beer, wine and juice (which personally I am not a big drinker of).

Overall, my rating of this resort is on the fence of being Average/Poor. I was disappointed in the service of the staff and I felt my birthday was not even celebrated as I would of expected it to be in CANCUN! I will never return to this resort.

Room Tip: - Lagoon view (junior suite)---but might be hotter due to facing the sun - Close to main pool and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shannon L
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Shannon L,

I am sorry to hear that your stay and experience at the Gran Palladium Riviera Resort and SPA was a disappointing one. About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations. .

Again, I would like to apologize for your experience in your last vacations. While the staff at Palladium does their best to make sure that our guests have a great experience while with us, at times we do fall short in our efforts.

I hope you can give us another opportunity and come back to let us show you the Palladium hospitality. If there is anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 20 July 2014

A very large facility with four resorts contained in one area. Plenty of area to lay and enjoy the beach. The food was great and there were plenty of choices to eat. We stayed 6 days. You do have to walk a little to get to all the resorts, but not too bad.

The staff was excellent. the rooms themselves could have been set up a little better and our room was dated and the air conditioner was very loud. However, the entire experience was great.

2 Thank Steve B
Dear Steve B,

First and foremost, thank you for your comments about your holidays in our resort and for taking the time to share your observations. About the situations that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.

We are working every day in order to improve our services and we really appreciate all comments that help us to be a better hotel.

Thanks again and please, feel free to contact us if you decide to visit us again, so we can do our best to take care about your reservation and I’m sure you will appreciate the improvements in our service.

Kindest regards,

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Our family of 5 stayed at the GP Riviera from July 12-19. In summary, a great vacation. We were in building 61 second floor facing the ocean...but no view of it. It is a bit far from the lobbies, but close to the beach/salt water pool. Room was clean, but nothing fancy. We had connecting rooms; suite, and junior suite. It served our family well.

Food was above average. Loved the al a carte restaurants. Buffet was average. Breakfast was good.

Pools are great...but the beach is amazing. Tons of fish! And clear blue water. We spent most of our time at the Colonial pool/beach.

Entertainment staff at the pool/beach were a a lot of fun. They did a nice job of getting everyone involved.

Evening shows were fun, fire show was our favorite.

Grounds are beautiful....lot's and lot's of walking, but no problem for us. Kids had a great time. Loved all,of the wildlife at the resort. Our Kids met many other kids from the states and Europe.

Would definitely return for future visit. Great resort for families.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Palnell
Dear Crítico Novato,

Thanks a lot for such a delightful review about your last holidays in our resort. Reading it made us feel happy for being part of the team that made possible to offer you a memorable vacation.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

England
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We travelled as two couples and booked to stay at the Grand Palladium Colonial Resort. Upon arrival we discovered that both couples had been given twin rooms (two small double beds) and requested to change room to a double bed or king size bed. Due to lack of availability we were moved to Riviera which in my opinion is a nicer part of the hotel. I would advise that anyone booking specifies that they would like a double room. The resort is huge with four main lobbies which are all well maintained. A buggy service is not offered unless you are in the royal suites which means there is a lot of walking. If I could make any recommendations to the hotel it would be to increase the number of buggys so all guests can use them. However, there is a train that runs every 20 minutes between the lobbies.
The food was outstanding in all of the restaurants and buffets offering a wide selection to cater to everyone. The only issue with the restaurants is that you do not need to make a reservation which in some respects is nice as you can pick where you would like to go on the night as opposed to pre-booking but often needed to wait an hour for a table.
The staff were wonderful particularly; Luiz at the adult pool bar, Yvonne at the White Sands Lobby and Fredy at the breakfast buffet at Riviera. They were very friendly and provided an excellent service.
The hotel is well situated for excursions with a good beach and lots of animals including; raccoons, coatis and iguanas. The animals are very tame and like to be fed fruit!
This is a very nice hotel with high standards throughout. You can use all four resorts on the complex providing an excellent variety of food and entertainment.
I would highly recommend this hotel to couples and families. If you do stay here I would highly recommend going on the Captain Hook excursion.

Room Tip: Ensure you request a double room as you will most likely have a twin room if not.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hoodsmen
Dear hoodsmen,

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your last stay with us. I feel glad to realize that you did have the wonderful vacations expected.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Okla
Reviewed 19 July 2014

great place to lay and enjoy the beach, food was great and plenty of choices to eat, we stayed 6 days and did not get to see everything the hotel had to offer, have to walk a little to get to all the resorts, but not bad as you get to use all 4 resorts on your stay

Room Tip: NO oceanview so don't spend the extra to get a oceanview room, hotel told us they have told trav...
Dear Gary Y,

Thank you for your good comments and for the feedback, as our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests, and the way we can do it is to know what our guests like and the things we can enhance.

We are happy to understand that you and your family enjoyed your stay, and please, do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything further we can do from this end.

Kindest regards,

Hopewell Junction, New York
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Upon check in and arrival in our room we realized that they did not give us our preferred room. My wife and I are members of the palladium travel club. The travel club office promised several times to change our room but these promises were only words. Our vacation was for two weeks and we left without room change which we had booked as junior suite with two double beds but instead we got a room of one king bed. It seems that the travel was focused to make sales to new members and did not really give much attention to existing members. Do not bother to become a member if you want good service because they will work very hard to have you become a member.

Room Tip: choose any room on 2nd floor and above
2 Thank daniel n
Dear daniel n,

I would like to give you thank you for your time and your comments. I will share this with the rest of the team.

I respect your point of view but in all moment, we have personal to help our guest with anything.

If we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Best regards,

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Very nice hotel- so big . There is everything what you want. I love this hotel. Perfect shows. A lot of fun during the day. Very good and friendly staff. Food amazing !!! very nice beach. I can not say anything wrong

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Denisa B
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Denisa B,

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!