“Cant sleep and staff doesn't care....”

Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Cant sleep and staff doesn't care....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Currently on our honeymoon and it must be known that this place is very nice! Plenty to do and it is beautiful! However there is air conditioning problems in the rooms and our room is currently over 90 degrees!! Our room feels like a sauna...when we walk in we begin to sweat! Very uncomfortable! It has been that way for three days and every time you call the front desk they say they are fixing the problem or we have found the problem and it will be fixed by tomorrow. That was at least two days ago. I have been to the front desk of various lobbies asking for a room to be switched to but the staff acts as though they don't care and have no urgency to move rooms or to even try to accommodate us. We have received no calls or letters about updates on the problem which would be appreciated but I wouldn't expect that at this point with this staff. Half the resort is out of a.c. and this place doesn't care...great place but poor management and front desk workers! So if you want a beautiful place to go...this is the place but if you have a problem while you're here don't expect anyone to help you!! Signed pissed off honeymooner

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Brandon S
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Brandon S,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your last holidays with us. For us is essential to know all the opinions from our guests and what we need to do to better meet their expectations, in fact we are already working in some of the observations you made.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Polish first
San Antonio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

This place had great shows, food, and rooms. The only downfall is after the shows a huge crowd congregated to get a ride on a golf cart/train and at times would push and shove each other to get on. They have the same times for the shows and I wish that they would accommodate the guests with a ride back to their rooms or closer to their rooms.When you ask the front desk if they could figure out a way to get guests back to their rooms, the standard answer was always," Just 5 more minutes." Only for a golf cart to come around the corner and the driver to get out and disappear. That was super frustrating. You could walk, but it's a very long way and when you have children or older people, it makes for a long and exhausting trip in the dark.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Jlwwb
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Jlwwb

First and foremost, thank you for your comments about your holidays in our resort and for taking the time to share your observations. About the situations that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.

We are working every day in order to improve our services and we really appreciate all comments that help us to be a better hotel.

Thanks again and please, feel free to contact us if you decide to visit us again, so we can do our best to take care about your reservation and I’m sure you will appreciate the improvements in our service.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Trip: This trip was booked through Groupon and coordinated through Travel by Jen (Hotel) and Jetset Vacations (Airfare). The booking process with Groupon was easy, literally click of a button. Working with Travel by Jen/ Jetset Vacations was a little more difficult. It took multiple calls to the travel agent, emails as well, to constantly stay on top of the required documents and make sure the trip was planned as purchased. I will say, the travel agent, Jessica Azzaro, always returned phone calls and responded to email, even at the busiest travel time of the year. I called a lot, being nervous about spending that much money and relying on someone else to book and confirm details was nerve-racking, so her responses were surprising at such a consistent level. Although it seemed odd that it took two separate travel companies to book the trip, they worked together and all the trip details were planned as promised and the trip went off with out any problem. Be sure you read the fine print and notice you are responsible for confirming your flight and hotel room/ reservations immediately before you depart. I also made specific room location requests via the hotel website.

Hotel: The Grand Palladium Riviera Maya was phenomenal. On arrival, the first thing we noticed was the eco-setting of the hotel which is literally built right into the natural habitat. This was exactly what I wanted, all the amenities of a resort, but still having the beauty of the natural coastline, mangroves, and flora/ fauna of the area. The hotel staff, for the most part, were very helpful and glad to assist in whatever way they could. We stayed in building #63 (room #6307) which was a downstairs suite. The building is exactly where I asked to be which was right down from the salt water pool, but far enough away to be isolated in a quite area, and close enough to the rest of the eateries, bars, and beach area. It was a beautiful location. As I read in other reviews, it does take some walking to get to different places, but who cares. Your in a tropical paradise, walk and see the surroundings. Even with the walking, it was a great experience. I rarely saw anyone standing and waiting for the train that will come pick up you if you refuse to walk. The power went out for over an hour the last night we were there, which was inconvenient. We decided to take advantage and went to the salt water pool and watched the stars, however it was around dinner time and probable hundreds of people were left in the dark restaurants as we had just finished before the incident. My only other complaint was the lack of snorkel equipment for guests. I've been surfing for fifteen years, been a waterman my whole life, and was truly excited about snorkeling every day. I should have brought my own fins and mask, but expected the hotel to provide and used the suitcase space for two Gopro cameras and other things. The Riviera area only had fifty mask sets, according to staff, to lend out and they were gone first thing in the am and people did not return them until closing at 3:30 PM (not surprised).
I could go on and on about the hotel, but to sum it up, it was beautiful, the food was amazing and there were different places to eat every night, the shows were fun, and we will absolutely and without question be going back next year to this exact same resort.

Getting Around: The Aeromexico flight out was non-stop (thanks Jetset Vacations) and easy, on-time, and no issues. Getting back, the flight was delayed almost three hours, but that was not the fault of the travel company, so no complaints. We elected to use collectivos rather than taxis and saved a ton of money. It was three dollars (U.S.) each way, anywhere you needed to get in Quintana Roo. We went up to fifth avenue in Playa Del Carmen to meet some friends, get on the Del Mar to get over to Cozumel, down to the ruins in Akumal, and all around, and it was super cheap. The drivers will speed and you will get there fast. Is it less private than a taxi? Sure, but you save so much money and its full of other travelers doing the exact same thing. We booked Best Day travel prior to departure for hotel/ airport transport and it was great. They transported us just when they said they would, without worry, and it was nice to know it was guaranteed.

Over-all/ Summary: Over-all, we had a great experience. Travel By Jen/ Jetset Vacations were easy to work with, Aeromexico was about the same level of ease, and the hotel was amazing. I could right for ever about our trip. I took over six-hundred photographs, thirty diving videos, and spent a minimal amount of money, however did many of the dive tours and excursions. As with any foreign travel, know your currency transfer rate. The locals will try to scam you out of money and not give you correct change. When getting gas, we rented scooters on Cozumel to explore the island, tell them how much gas you want and do not let them do it for your. Watch the pump.
I recommend this hotel, even above others in Playa Del Carmen that were surround by hot concrete and buildings/ people everywhere. This truly is a tropical paradise, away from the hustle and bustle of a big resort area/ town. The Groupon deal was great, we saved money for sure, and the Groupon staff, Travel by Jen, and Jet Set Vacations, were all there to answer questions and work to ensure the trip was a success.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Stay near the salt water pool. Here, you will get more privacy, peace and quiet, and are still a sh...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank J B
Dear J B,

Thank you for your good comments and for the feedback, as our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests, and the way we can do it is to know what our guests like and the things we can enhance.

We are happy to understand that you enjoyed your stay, and please, do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything further we can do from this end.

Burnaby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

There are a lot that I can write about this place..it is a gem. The staff are so hardworking and friendly. The resort is very clean. The bars, the buffets, restaurants, service, you name and they have the best. The daily shows were very well choreographed and well executed. It was a pleasure to be a part of this fun fare each day for that week. Pipi and Kiki were my favorites. I can see why there are so many Palladium Addicts.... Every night the fine dining experience was also very exquisite. My best were Sumputori, the Punta Emilo Beach Restaurant, El Adelito and Bamboo... All the swim up bars had great bartenders who did not leave a bottle unturned to make is a lovely experience for each one of us. Carlos, Petro , Jose, Mario they were all so good and great entertaining bartenders... Sunset disco was a great place to hangout after the show... Daily themes at the disco bring variety. Live bands and show all throughout ... the nightly market selling local art is impressive... Pontoon boat ride daily is free and fun while enjoying the flora and fauna of the area, crocodile dens, wild iguanas, feeding Tilapia fish, it is all so much fun. The beach has beautiful white sand, hammocks, chairs and a lovely swim with tropical fishes, stringrays, turtles and parrot fish. Snorkeling and scuba diving is a must try. There are tons of daily activities for kids, adults and seniors... like volley ball, nature walk, archery, shooting, scuba, snorkel, dancing, aerobics, yoga, cooking, painting, pottery, and lot more. I will certainly go there again and again. The swimming pools are clean and well maintained. Loved it.

Room Tip: Ask for third floor rooms so that you can see the sky or else all you see is forest. Villa 67 is go...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank YaShaK
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear YaShaK,

Thanks a lot for such a delightful review about your last holidays in our resort. Reading it made us feel happy for being part of the team that made possible to offer you a memorable vacation.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Resort (Very Good):
Very beautiful resort upon arrival. Resort is spread out and you get to go to all 4 of the resorts which was neat! A lot of walking but you can ride a train to each resort, but plan on waiting. They also have trams running through each resort to take you to your rooms or other destinations throughout the resort. It was a hit or miss with those guys, though. The resort sits right on the Caribbean and was absolutely breathtaking! We really enjoyed the beach! My fiance and I tried the non-motorized water activities. The first day we did the kayak which was really fun! The man in charge needed our room key and ID and we only had a room key. He was nice enough to not make us walk all the way back to the room and just accepted the room key. The water was calm and the kayak was really peaceful. The second day we wanted to jetski or parasail but the wind was too much so they did not have those activities going unfortunately. We then decided to snorkel yet they were out of snorkeling equipment! How do you run out of that kind of stuff?! We ended up trying to wind surf and my fiance really enjoyed doing that! It was a lot of work but it was a really fun activity! The main pool was pretty good size and they have a swim up bar in it, but plan to wait a while to get a drink! They had an adult pool next to the main pool that we never went too. I was a little disappointed that they did not have louder music or any music some days. We did find a secluded pool and that was neat. On my birthday night, we were sitting in the bar area of one of the resorts and the power goes off in the entire resort (all 4!!). The power was off for an hour and a half!! Nobody told us why it went off or gave any information during the outage.The next day it went off AGAIN for 30 minutes. Overall, the resort was very beautiful and each one had their own personality.

Room (average):
We had a great room with a beautiful view of the lagoon. Room was kind of plain, though. We did, however, have a very cute towel arrangement made on our bed with flowers (first night only). We were told on our fun-jet information that we would have a stocked fridge in our room. While that was true, it was not cold at all and we only have beer, soda and water (no hard liquor). Yet, my parents had a bottle of tequila in their room. The rooms were very HOT! They were extremely hard to keep cool because any time you opened the door (including balcony) the air would cut off. Which meant when our maid was cleaning the room she kept the door open the entire time in there which let out all the cool air. So when returning from the beach to get ready for the night I was literally dripping sweat. Also, my parents and sister who were in two separate rooms received a special gift from the hotel which my fiance and I were never given?? The second to last night we had a flood in our bathroom from the shower (still not sure how it happened). The maid came to clean it up and after that our room smelt like sewer. Not sure if it was coincidence, but needless to say it was miserable.

Food and Restaurants: (Average)
The first night there was my sisters birthday. We did not know we had to make reservations at the restaurants (outside of the buffets). In order to eat at the good places, without a wait, you need to make reservations 24 hours in advance. With arriving the day of my sisters birthday that was obviously not possible and they did not seem to care. Also, my birthday was the following day and at that point it was too late to make reservations for that night because of the 24 hour rule. However, the lady was able to finally get us a reservation made for my birthday night which was very nice.

We ate the buffet for my sisters birthday which was average. They had a good selection of different foods but the quality of the food was just average. I did not find a lot of things that impressed me.

The night of my birthday we had reservations for Rodizio, a Brazilian steakhouse. Our party got dressed up and ready to go, only to get to the restaurant and be turned away!! Apparently they had a rule that all the men had to be in long pants! We were not made aware of that!! We told them that it was my birthday and they did not care. It not only was embarrassing but we were hungry and very disappointed! Not to mention, my dad and brother-in-law did not even bring long pants with them! Once again, we were left to eat at the buffet.

The next day we went and spoke to someone about getting reservations somewhere to explain to them what had happened. She informed us that no reservations could be made but we could get there and wait on first come first serve basis. Also, that they rented pants for a $20 refundable fee, which would of been nice to know in the beginning! That night we went back to the same restaurant. We got there right when they opened to be seated immediately. (Power went out right when we got in the restaurant and we waited it out for 30 min, but we were first in there so the seated us first when the power came back on). Food was amazing and service was the best we had had so far on the trip! It was very hot still from the power outage but all-in-all it was excellent!

We tried to do the same thing, show up based on first come first serve for the Japanese restaurant in Kantenah. Unfortunately, we got there at 8pm and there was a 45 minute wait. We decided to go have some drinks and wait it out. We were seated at 8:55pm (not too bad). Service was so-so and the restarant was very hot (no power outage as an excuse). We werent able to do the show because that was based on reservations only but the food was very good! I was satisfied!

The breakfast buffet was my favorite of them.

Outside Resort Activity (EXCELLENT):
We were recommended by our Fun-Jet representative to do Explor. It was $169 for an all day activity. It included zip-lines, cave swimming/paddling, ATV riding and other activities. It also included lunch and travel. The zip lines were amazing!!! They even had some that went through water! I would definitely recommend doing this activity if you have a day and want to get out of the resort! It was well worth the money. They even do a night one and if we had known earlier we would of tried that out, it looked awesome!

Service/Shows/Overall Experience (Poor):
I was very disappointed in service! I paid a lot of money for an ALL-INCLUSIVE resort and I did not feel that I got my moneys worth. The service was very spotty and we could never get solid answers to our questions/issues. We saw 2 shows but they were not that good. Entertainment was very disappointing. I did not feel involved in any activities (if they even had any going on I knew nothing of them)! In my opinion, there should of been a drink in my hand the entire trip I was there, I felt I had to work to get my drinks. The ONLY bartender that was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING was at the Riveria his name was Ulises. He found out it was my sister and I's birthdays and made us SEVERAL shots, one after the next, and he was very on top of his game! Needless to say we tipped him very good, but he was very attentive and was giving us what we paid for! If we had that the entire trip I would of been pleased but unfortunately we didn't. Upon check in they informed of us that they had 21 bars!!!! AWESOME!! And 2 of them were 24 hours!! HOWEVER, they did NOT inform us that those 2 bars did not serve hard liquor past 11am and the one closest to our rooms was still serving the reserved restaurant until 11pm, so it was not technically open to others. That was a big let down to our group. We wanted to hang out late and drink (get our moneys worth) yet all the bars closed at 6-8pm except two and they only served beer, wine and juice (which personally I am not a big drinker of).

Overall, my rating of this resort is on the fence of being Average/Poor. I was disappointed in the service of the staff and I felt my birthday was not even celebrated as I would of expected it to be in CANCUN! I will never return to this resort.

Room Tip: - Lagoon view (junior suite)---but might be hotter due to facing the sun - Close to main pool and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shannon L
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Shannon L,

I am sorry to hear that your stay and experience at the Gran Palladium Riviera Resort and SPA was a disappointing one. About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations. .

Again, I would like to apologize for your experience in your last vacations. While the staff at Palladium does their best to make sure that our guests have a great experience while with us, at times we do fall short in our efforts.

I hope you can give us another opportunity and come back to let us show you the Palladium hospitality. If there is anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Houston, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

A very large facility with four resorts contained in one area. Plenty of area to lay and enjoy the beach. The food was great and there were plenty of choices to eat. We stayed 6 days. You do have to walk a little to get to all the resorts, but not too bad.

The staff was excellent. the rooms themselves could have been set up a little better and our room was dated and the air conditioner was very loud. However, the entire experience was great.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Steve B
Dear Steve B,

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Our family of 5 stayed at the GP Riviera from July 12-19. In summary, a great vacation. We were in building 61 second floor facing the ocean...but no view of it. It is a bit far from the lobbies, but close to the beach/salt water pool. Room was clean, but nothing fancy. We had connecting rooms; suite, and junior suite. It served our family well.

Food was above average. Loved the al a carte restaurants. Buffet was average. Breakfast was good.

Pools are great...but the beach is amazing. Tons of fish! And clear blue water. We spent most of our time at the Colonial pool/beach.

Entertainment staff at the pool/beach were a a lot of fun. They did a nice job of getting everyone involved.

Evening shows were fun, fire show was our favorite.

Grounds are beautiful....lot's and lot's of walking, but no problem for us. Kids had a great time. Loved all,of the wildlife at the resort. Our Kids met many other kids from the states and Europe.

Would definitely return for future visit. Great resort for families.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Palnell
Dear Crítico Novato,

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!