“AWESOME VACATION!!!!”

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Toronto, Canada
“AWESOME VACATION!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed the week of July 13-20. It was one of the best vacations ever!!! From the moment we arrived we were treated so kind. We checked in at the main desk with Roman. He took time to explain everything to us. He treated us like we were the only ones on the resort. He was soooooooooooooooo awesome. Everytime he saw us after that he greated us by our names. There are hundreds of people and he still remembered our names. He even took time to say good-bye when we were in the lobby the morning we left. The other people we would like to mention that made our time so special were the pool people. It is the pool over by room 2964. They work so hard and made our day fun. Our cleaning lady was the best. She made our son special animals everyday out of towels. Everytime she saw us..... she stopped and said hi.
The pools were super clean. The lazy river was so fun. It was long and goes through-out the whole resort. I have been where the beach is better BUT you can snorkel all day and see so many beautiful fish. The food was good, there was a big variety. If you are thinking of going..... go..... so much fun and loads to do. The shows at night were fun. We will go back again. We can't wait.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2964 and we had a great view of the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,703)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We had a very great time overall. Food at buffet was good and variated. Restaurants were overrated, exept for the Japanese one (worth the reservation). There were shows every evening to suit all kind of audience. The musicians and dancers are real professionals and quite good. The staff was pleasant and polite, exept for the one responsable of the restaurant reservation... These guys, the «concierges» work for time share business and they offer you tons of extras to try to catch you. We found it annoying. Plus, having a place at the Japanese restaurant from our tenant, asking day after day (we were there 10 days), was just not possible until my husband got really mad the sixth day.
Aside this, we recommend this place 100%! It is just a fantastic place for snorkeling. We saw lots of fish, even a turtle, right in front the resort. Our room was clean and nice. The resort itself was well maintained, too. We just thought the elevators were smelly.
There is a lot to see and do on the spot, plus it is close to many touristic attractions such as Tulum, Coba, Xcaret, Rio Secreto...(hint: tours are great but expensives, taxi always negociable, save even more money with the collectivos - fast, frequent, safe, really cheapper, no reservation needed, and with A/C!).
Finally, don't miss their beautiful Spa!

Room Tip: We had a 3rd floor, jungle view room, wich was very nice for birds lover like me! Stay away from poo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

just to let u all no this hotel was perfect the food the staff where tops just arrived back on the 22nd july 2012 after a fortnight in this lovely hotel had a ball.I have to mention a few off the staff fernando @angel@fabian our conciers where so so helpfull could not do enough for us 10 out of 10 for them .then angel quiuo the bar man who worked so he getshard to make sure u enjoyed ur drinks which was plentyfull .and our wee pool waitress whom i called coco loko she was so friendly and made sure u where never without a drink .and our pool entertainment staff where wonderfull thanks to OSCAR and his staff .just 1 bad point about the whole fortnight was on frie the 20th july at 3 05 pm i went to my room 2821 at that time and found a male member of the cleaning staff in my safe which he had taken 450 english pounds from my passport

Room Tip: pool view rooms r brill
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Chris G
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Excellent staff and very accommodating. Thank you Natalia Alcantana, Marko, Cesar, Merary, Rosalio & Marisa.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank helena9999
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

I stayed at the Grand Sirenis hotel from the 6th to the 20th of July. It was definitely one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed in!

The rooms:
The room was massive - with a gorgeous king sized bed, a jacuzzi, a mini bar (this was topped up daily - it's free!), TV, living area, balcony and massage showers. I loved the room! The hotel itself is very grand - there are lots of short cuts from the room we were staying in to get to the restaurants and theatre.

Food:
I had no complaints about food in the first week - there was plenty of choice for me (and I'm a strict vegetarian). We also visited three restaurants: Mexican, Italian and Japanese. I LOVED the Japanese restaurant - there was a beautiful atmosphere and the food was brilliant! The Italian was good too - plenty of choice for vegetarians. I did not enjoy the Mexican restaurant at all - lack of choice for vegetarians! In the second week, I eventually got bored of the food. It was highly repetitive - even though they have theme nights nearly every night. There was no indication of which foods were vegetarian too - and the waiters did not understand English, therefore I felt as if I was missing out on trying different foods! The service in the restaurants was generally great - I did experience staff being rude to us about two times - it was really off putting! The juices are watered down too, so I just stuck to water. Most of the waiters are really attentive and kept filling our glasses with water. Room service takes 45 minutes - and the food is off poor quality!

Activities - the great thing about this hotel is that you will never feel boredom! I did yoga and body pump (only do this if your fitness levels are really good), a bike tour, and cooking lessons. If you have kids, there's a kids club which seems very organised. They do theatre shows every evening - the hotel puts in a lot of effort for these! My favourite shows were the International show, Mamma Mia and Ideal couple. There's also a disco, I went on Monday night and it was pretty empty, but I still had lots of fun! There's also a lazy river (which I LOVED), swim up bars and a gorgeous beach! The beach does have a few stones but it was quite smooth too! It was beautiful to have a beach within the resort itself! There's a beach bar near the beach too. I loved all the mock-tails. I did find the staff in the beach bar quite rude and unhelpful though - which was a shame! The weather was on and off - it rained every few days (although it cleared up pretty quickly).

Excursions - we booked our excursions through the hotel, simply because it was a lot cheaper than booking through First Choice. We decided to go to Chichen Itza - this is well worth a visit! We were given our lunch at 4pm though - this was off putting. The best thing we did was to go to Xplore - which is an adventure island. You do activities like zip lining, rafting, driving and swimming in the caves. I had SO much fun! Another activity we did was swimming with dolphins - in Delphinus. We were in a group of 10 people, so I felt that it was personal at all! I wish I did it in a smaller group. The photos were a rip off too, about £20 for one! You're not allowed to take cameras either! We booked the excursions on a Sunday, the guide told us that they have better discounts on a Sunday because it's arrivals day! I also went to Playa Del Carmen for a few hours - it's well worth the visit! Make sure you haggle in the stalls though!

Spa - The spa was great too. We went for a massage on the beach - which was very relaxing. We also had a facial - which I would not recommend at all! It was meant to last 50 minutes but it felt more like 30 minutes! I paid £50 for it, so it was a total rip off! Paloma, the therapist, was very lovely though - definitely go to her! We also got a complimentary water hydration treatment (you get 1 free per room) which was AMAZING! My skin was glowing for days! It involved massage chairs in the swimming pool, massage water jets, warm jacuzzi, ice water bath, 3 different types of steam rooms, 3 different types of saunas, scented showers, and a Turkish bath! We also got a complimentary chromotherapy (we simply asked for freebies) which involved relaxing on a water bed - it's not worth paying for!

General - generally, most of the staff are really helpful. My mother fell over and hurt her legs, so the staff helped us by providing us a shuttle service to the restaurants and theatre! The concierge for our rooms (we stayed in Muuyal) was very helpful and attentive to our needs. I loved the cashless system in the hotel, which means that everything is charged to your room and you pay at the end. It definitely makes life a lot easier!

Cleaning: The maid service was pretty poor. The maid who cleaned our room was incredibly rude - we complained straight away. When we complained about the maid, we did receive complimentary bottles of champagne. The hotel also does night duty - where they do your bed and give you chocolates in the evening - I thought this was a lovely touch. My mother and brother received different animal shaped designs everyday - unfortunately my sister and I didn't! If anything went wrong in the room, the reception helped us straight away and somebody was down to our room within minutes!

Would I go back? Yes, definitely. I had a brilliant time in Mexico - the hotel was beautiful! They need to improve their food choices for vegetarians though - and it will be perfect :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Ferrero R
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Let me preface this review by letting you know I've stayed at the property 3 times; each time in a different section of the property. Most recently we stayed as Premium Travellers July 8-18th/12.

ROOM: 1943: Premium travellers: Large,quiet room with an amazing beachfront location. The pillow top, king size bed was a dream & both myself and husband adored it. You do get 5 bottles of premium liquor in your room of your choice, with all the water, cerveza, pop and juice. Double sinks in the large bathroom and a very nice jacuzzi soaker tub to match.2 32" flat screen TVs as well as playstation, an in room computer with complimentary internet. The welcome bottle of sparkling wine on our arrival & on our wedding anniversary was a classy, thoughtful touch! Cannot say enough wonderful things about this room as it was perfect for us. Even though we booked a gardenview they upgraded us free of charge. The beach and restuarants is a short walk away and you can also request a shuttle from your concierge. I loved the fresh, fragrant flowers in the room every 2-3 days.

RESTUARANTS: We visited all except Mexican. Our favs: the French, Mediterrean, Italian and the Japanese. While the service was very good through out the entire resort these places really stepped it up a notch! Attentive, knowledgable, gracious; these are just some of the words to describe the staff. The food-the French was delicious-my husband has the lobster Thermidore and I had the rack of lamb along with the Lobster bisque. Delicious! The serving of lobster was very generous. While I cannot remember specific names of the people working at the restuarants their work ethic is second to none. Many restuarants in North America sholuld take lessons! Even though tips are supposedly included your package price we tipped regularly as they earned it. $2-$5 and a big genuine thank you means a lot to them. Meditterean: lots of fresh olives, cheese and seafood-prawns, mussels and crab. Italian: Pasta and the Tiramisu were excellent. Our waiter-Vincenzio was so nice and attentive.

THE SPA: Very good. While the treatments can be expensive it's like anything else in life; you get what you pay for. While I was there I had waxing, a beachfront couples massage and a slimming treatment. All were very well done; my fav was the 1 hr slimming treatment. Staff was knowledgable and the facilities very clean. They do have a fresh juice bar at the back. The hydrotheraphy pools are complimentary and I do reccommend it; relaxing and a wonderful break from the sunshine! They have the most amazing ceramic, heated loungers that I could spend hours in; sooo relaxing!

DIVING: While we were there my husband took the 4 day Open Water Diver Course and I did the 2 day PADI/Scuba certification. Polly, David, Denice, Luis etc were all wonderful too. Very patient, knowledgeable and friendly. If anyone is thinking about getting their certification we whole heartedly say DO IT as it amazing and you'll have a great sense of accomplishment once completed. You may see stingrays, sea turtles, barracudas, lots of different fish and coral on the reef which is a shoort 5-15 minute boat ride away. What a great time and I don't think either of us can ever snorkel again.

The beach is rocky but lends to some excellent snorkelling right off the beach. Depending on your package you may receive use of the gear for 1 hour; do it, it's a lot of fun and very safe!

The staff from beginning to end were top notch; cannot say enough good things about them.

Our personal premium travellers concierge-ERNESTO-was excellent, whenever we needed anything he was always there and checking in with us to make sure everything was ok. Having most of our a la carte restuarants booked prior to arrival was a very nice touch.

Yes, we stayed in the premium rooms but on my previous stays the service was equally as good when I was in the standard rooms.

Bufffets had a good selection of food and the homemade donuts are excellent.

If you have questions please email me: onenightinbangkok2009@hotmail.com. I work in the travel industry, have stayed at numerous AI properties through Mexico and we're also SPT members which we're very happy with btw.

The only negative: The floors are extremely slippery when it rains so be careful as I do not want you to wipe out as I did.

Room Tip: Add lots of room requests. It never hurts to ask! If you're SPT members the best block of rooms...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
15 Thank PickledCactus
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

This was my first time going South for an all-inclusive. I wanted something nicer and newer that gave its visitors a lot to do. The restaurants were fancy and the food was great. The buffet was really nice too! I was really impressed actually because you always hear horror stories about the buffets at resorts. I tried new foods and didn't get sick. They have a late night snack bar too with pizza which was convenient and satisfying after a day/night of drinking. The water was safe to drink and the employees were always working hard to please the customers. The only thing I can complain about is that the power would go out momentarily and come back on and this messed up the alarm clock. As a result, we napped through our first a la cart.. it was no problem to reschedule though. This happened maybe about 3 times during the week we were there. I wasn't even during a storm, which was really odd. The other thing I wasn't too pleased with was the information they gave us about public transportation. We wanted to go to Playa del Carmen to shop, but because it was Sunday the shuttle from the hotel wasn't running. We didn't want to waste money on a cab, so we decided to take the city van which most of hotel employees and the locals use to get around. We had inquired at the front desk how much this would cost us and they misinformed us. (You think he would've known right?) It ended up working out though because the van driver carries change - which is awesome. Some people may have felt it dangerous or sketchy to venture into the city via public transit but it was no sweat! Very very inexpensive and convenient. Other tourists were using it as well. You just have to be smart about it.

Although this isn't related to the resort - on the way to the airport as we were leaving our driver got stopped for speeding and got fined. The police are kinda scary cause they carry massive guns. Everyone in Mexico speeds, but I wasn't expecting to get stopped for it. It definitely made us all a little nervous. It was an amazing vacation. The resort beach was incredible, but the beach at Tulum was the most beautiful. The pool was nice and the swim up bar too. Our room had a jacuzzi separate from the shower. It was very spacious and clean. There was a funky odor to the resort that lingered on all of our clothing after we left. It's not a horrible smell.. I don't really know how to describe it... mildewy or watery? It wasn't intolerable, but it definitely lingered on our clothing and suitcases. We washed everything when we got home. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone. Unlike Cancun, the Riviera is secluded so it's more private and less hussle-y bussle-y. I had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that's not located on the first floor because when it rains, it pours and the...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#75 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,066 reviews

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!