“Amazing resort”

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Halifax, Canada
“Amazing resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

What an amazing resort! We visited the Grand Sirenis between Feb 11th and 18th and was blown away by the experience we had there. There were no negative things just positives. From the moment we arrived at check in and were greeted with drinks we were treated like royalty. Too many great things to list but here are the main reviews. The hotel was clean, well kept, and very modern. We had a beautiful room, big and very clean. The staff were incredible, always smiling and ready to assist you in any way. Whether it was cleaning, food, bar, or public service staff, they all went out of their way to accomodate us. The food was really good, I couldn't get enough. Valentines day was made very special by enjoying chocolates and wine in the lobby after dinner. I would highly recommend this resort, and would have no problem returning there again. Hats off to management and staff for making our first trip to Mexico a memorable one. Gracias!

Room Tip: Get a room central like the Acat building so as to shorten walks
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank daviddD7522JE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,709)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Our family stayed in sirenis hotel from Dec 22 to Jan 1st. this is our second visit as my wife and kids like this hotel better than the hotel we stayed in Cancun area. It was pleasant during the stay but it becomes nightmare

After we signed membership of Sirenis premium travelers club. My family lost 14,000 US dollar by purchasing worthless timeshare. I want to write down all my mistakes so that other travelers can avoid same mistakes again.
First, the concierge is selling the membership, he or she will invite you for the seminar ( free family breakfast in Mexican restaurant and $100 gift voucher). Once you accepted the invitation, one sales person will be sitting with you at dining table and talking with you about general stuff (vacations, hobbies, family, kids, etc). meanwhile, they will obtain personal information through friendly talking (your career, age, vacation expenditure in last three years,etc). after breakfast, the sales will invite you to visit their premium suites ( three different types:Junior Suite, one bedroom Suite and Presidential Suite). They all have better view and better renovated than regular hotel rooms. After returning their sales room, the high pressure selling start, it could last two or three hours, the sales start to advertise their membership by providing false or dishonest information and we have been totally fooled by following:
1. The sales said we are not selling club membership, it is total different with timeshare. Actually they are one VARIATION of timeshare, they are using same timeshare website to book hotels (RCI and Dial an change). Be caution, the sales said we have 3000 hotels worldwide, but those hotels are located in unpopular areas or very few in big cities, for example, in Vancouver city, they have non hotels available. When we really try to book hotels, we found either no hotels in the city or total booked out. One of my friends told me I need to book at least one year in advance and may be multiple years in advance.
2. The sales said this is company 49th anniversary, the price we gave you will change tomorrow. Our regular price is that you pay such dollars to get 25 week vacation in 25 years.Be caution, they will keep offering better privileges if you are still hesitating, my wife and I are bad negotiator, so we do not get any better deal. But my friend purchased timeshare from another resort, he got 100 weeks in life time and only paid 2000 US dollar, he signed the contract but found it is still useless.
3. The sales said we are offering wholesale price, you are purchasing same price as other vocation package provider did (westjet vacation, aircanada vacation). You could save 3000 dollars for this trip if you purchased membership before. Then he took out calculator from his pocket and gave me some figures which make us believe. Be caution, they may offer a little bit discount on club premium suites, but they do not offer any price discount on flight. When we returned home and did our homework, it is cheaper through vacation package providers. I just can not figure out how I can save $3000.
4. The contract I signed is not cancellable. They hide the clause that I have 5 Day Rescission period given by the Consumer protection laws of Mexico. When I returned home and analysis, it is too late and all the money paid are not recoverable.

As I said, we love to stay at Sirenis hotel, but we will never return again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank bob w
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

After we had booked our vacation here we started to read some of the reviews. Not sure where these people stayed but it was not at the Grand Sirenis! We stayed at the Grand Sirenis from Feb 6-20/14. We had a fantastic time! We had booked a room on the top floor with a king size bed. When we arrived we were on the main floor with two very small beds. We were assured that we would be moved to a different room in two nights and we were. It was perfect! We understood that they were full and had the patience to wait for a different room. The food at the buffet and the a al cartes couldn't have been better. One of our waiters at the buffet, Daniel, provided excellent service and was always asking if "it's Okay?" Thank you Daniel! Bar service was superb from the Flying Gorillas to the Blue Lagoons as all were very good. Many thanks to Karen at the Premium Members only pool area for her smiling personality and ensuring that we never went thirsty! Thank you Karen! Our room was always spotless and always with a different wonderful towel animal. Thank you to Carolina! And to Alex, our concierge in block 22. He and his assistant Marcos, couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. They made sure our dinner reservations were made, shuttles called and answered all of our questions. When we left and said goodbye to Alex it was like leaving a good friend. These people are the main reason that we will be back to Grand Sirenis! We were treated like royalty.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VacationBound2014
North Bay, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I have recently returned from my one week stay at Grand Sirenis with my sister and was impressed with this 5-star resort..Our rooms were spacious and clean and we found our "Humahpu" building[1400 block] was in close proximity to main lobby ,pool,buffet and there was no shortage of places to eat[8 a-la-cartes but didn't qualify at French}Our concierge Hunab" was always available at our building for advice and directions,as was our Air Canada rep,Marcella.All staff friendly but must mention a few who went "above & beyond";there was our waiter at buffet,Diego Hernanda Chan ,Adventura and Leo,bartenders who work hard and never complain! Then there was Saret,the beach waitress who always had a smile as she walked "miles" in a day! Did you know that at end of their day they must wash all those "recyclable" glasses .I like the fact that it was a family oriented place and always felt safe there.We met some wonderful Canadians from all over Canada and that made our vacation so enjoyable...great memories! Don't be afraid to take local bus to Playa Del Carmen...well worth the 70 pesos[one way} On final note,please be aware of `Yellow Cab Company`at airport...they nearly scammed us so don`t stop or talk to anyone on way out of airport.until you see your travel rep!!!!

Room Tip: No ocean view in 1400 block but end room on upper level quiet.I am told they asked for more money to...
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed at the resort February 16th -23rd. All in all we had an enjoyable stay.We have island hopped a fair bit during the last decade and stayed at many different resorts.

Check In: Our check in went well. They checked us in very quickly. The porters are great!

Internet: It is pay service. We paid for a week and it was about 45$

Gift Shop: Prices are double what you would pay for the same thing in Playa Del Carmen. If you don't want to pay 30 dollars for a bottle of sunscreen bring lots from home.

Rooms: The rooms were very nice. They did have a musty smell but I think all resorts have the same problems. Beds are a little hard and because we wanted a room close to our daughters we had to have a room with two doubles rather than a king. Air conditioning in our room worked great but in our daughter's room was a somewhat sluggish. We asked for someone to come look at it and they never did. Bathroom is gorgeous with a jetted two person jacuzzi and a shower with many different shower heads. Maid service was great! Our fridge and coffee was well stocked every day and cute little towel animals appeared on our bed! We did tip every day though. The average wage of Mexican people is 63 pesos a day (around 5 bucks) so we felt tipping was important. Our location of our rooms were great as they were in the first building closest to the buffets and entertainment. This is a huge resort and I imagine the people in the farthest buildings had quite a hike to get to the main buffets to eat. They do offer shuttles though.

Food: The buffets were good. Lots of selection. Different themes every night in the buffets. The service staff in the buffets were great!

We ate at 4 a la cartes:

Steakhouse. Great food. Bad service. My husband asked for steak sauce at the beginning of his meal which our server forgot and we couldnt seem to get his attention. We finally flagged down the maitre d and he quickly made things right amd our service got better from that point on.

Cajun and Italian were very good! Great food. Great service!

Japanese. We have been to quite a few teppanyaki restaurants and I would have to say our teppanyaki chef definetly needed more practice and more personality. He looked very nervous. There was a chef at another table that was great! He had the people laughing and hollering. There needs to be consistency and only really good chefs should be there as people can compare. Food was pretty good but you are going there for an experience as well and ours was boring.

Drinks: Drinks were great! They will make them as strong as you like! Bartenders were awesome and also they would direct people who tried to butt in to go to the back of the line and wait their turn. Waitresses on the beach were very speedy!

Entertainment: The Mexican night was really nice. Good dancing and great costumes! The other night were kind of substandard. We usually stay at Iberostars and their entertainment is top notch. I really think that they need to go to Iberostar and see how it's done! Their STAR teams are amazing. I do want to say that the guy who sang Can You Feel the Love Tonight in the Lion King play was an amazing singer. The Mariachi Band was awesome as well!

The Beach: We had picked this resort as we heard it had good snorkelling. Good snorkelling usually means a rocky beach with lots of coral so we werent expecting a fine sandy beach. It was quite rocky going into the water but we brought water shoes and if you go here, I strongly recommend you bringing some. Save your toes. We saw medics bandaging up alot of peoples feet. The snorkelling was so so as most days it was windy and the water was rough. If you are not a good swimmer, get a life a jacket as you have to go out close to the buoys to see fish but they are out there. My husband and daughters saw quite a few! If you bring food you will be surrounded by them. Just like many other resorts we have been to, people do the towel thing. The towel thing is that someone gets up at the crack of dawn and goes down and places their towels on the beach chairs to claim them. I absolutely hate this but if you don't do it, you might not get a beach chair and you certainly won't get a spot with a palapa so hopefully you will have one early bird in your group.

The grounds are beautiful. Lots of wildlife around. It is a large resort so expect to walk a fair bit but we didnt mind that as we felt it helped work off all the eating we did!

We had a great week! I don't think I would go back and the reason is because of the entertainment.

Room Tip: Pick a room close to the buffets and entertainment.
1 Thank SandraLea40
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Not a 5 star hotel, 3 star at the most, disappointed, rooms only average, facilities in case of bad weather poor! Beware of timeshare sales, can spoil your holiday, felt pressured into accepting, had to be rude to get them to go away!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Classy-Chik
Lindsay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We just got back for our trip here and we had a wonderful time. I have 3 children and I was worried about how it would all play out for their first trip. The staff at the kids club were very nice; did lots of things with them and put on great shows. The staff at the scuba snorkle hut were also very nice and accomodating to the children; we swam with the turtles (which was a wonderful experience)but the guides dove down and brought up different types of starfish for my girls to hold. The restaurants were fantastic and fun. Everything was so clean. We did make a practice of leaving a dollar or two at restaurants or outings or on the bed for tips they work hard and deserve it. I would not only recommend theplace I will definately go back. Loved it.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and were happy with that. We did not have any noisy people around so we...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#75 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,079 reviews

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!