This was my and my boyfriends first time to the Riviera Maya. We definetly enjoyed our stay!
When you go somewhere for the first time, (out of the country), i think its hard to dissapoint because you really don't have anything else to compare it to. If you fly into Cancun, please know that no matter what the travel agencies say..you will be traveling for an hour or more.. You make a few stops on the way to pick and drop off at other resorts.
Pulling up to Grand Sirenis was magical after seeing all of the resorts before finally reaching ours. Its beautifully structured with a modern aztecan mayan theme. Our room was very clean and it was awesome for our stay..Just keep in mind the large cutout which will lack privacy for families in the junior suite.
The pool was where we spent most of our time. It was awesome..there are a couple of pools..One with entertainment and djs which initiate pool games and other fun activities. The other pool is more quiet with private tiki huts and canopied sunbeds. So the choice is up to you.
The beach was awesome as well. If you want a good spot, you have to head down a bit early though.
The food was okay..Nothing blew us out of the water. Their meats just werent tasteful to us at all. We weren't sure if maybe it was the difference in how the livestock are raised there, or the quality or what have you. We stuck mainly to familiar things such as fruit, pasta..etc.
The snack bars on the beach seemed extremely dirty..I know its on the beach but birds were constantly flying through, along with flies..which diminished your appetite.
If you're a drinker..bring your own. They have to be serving watered down alcohol..You could drink for days and not catch a buzz. The only way to catch a buzz is to take hardcore shots of Smirnoff which is their top shelf..A dollar really goes a far way..If you frequent the same spot every night and just throw a dollar or two, they will remember you and serve you quicker. They will also try to serve you "special shots or drinks" which in retrospect my boyfriend and i came up with the theory that these "special drinks" are fillers..Think about it..if you spend all day drinking juice, you're going to feel so bloated that you will be completely over it. Now if you like beer, thats the way to go! They only have Corona however. Beer is beer, it's on tap and can't be tampered with for that matter..so if you like beers, CERVEZA!
The staff was awesome..very nice and friendly..very helpful.
Jose at the bar was awesome! Also Angel! Heads up the shops in the resort only take pesos, you can convert them at the reception desk in the main lobby.
There were live shows every night. Very entertaining. We saw the lion king, hula hoop acts, beauty and the beast and Phantom of the opera all while being served drinks.
The main lobby was a go to for everyone as well. They did have a disco (club)..that was way too far to walk. We caught the shuttle over, walked in..noticed 3 people..and instantly ran out to catch the shuttle back before it left..haha. I think its just such a far walk that noone even bothers.
Overall this resort was awesome being first timers. We really enjoyed ourselves.. The beds were doable.. first night a bit stiff, but unless you're sleeping on a sleep number or tempur pedic, i promise they arent that bad. Lots to do there and the weather and beach is gorgeous..
Wear Sunblock! Only downfalls i could really say is the weakness of their drinks and quality of the food..
When you arrive book your special restaurant meals first thing, as they go fast!
Hope you love it as much as we did!
P.S. We went through the XPLOR agency and did an excursion to a theme park of theirs which shuttled us in the morning to a park where we ziplined, rafted through the caves, swam through them and also rode amphibious vehicles..LOTS OF FUN..food and soft drinks included.
However..they drop you off at 9am and come back at 5pm to get you..Most of the activites only allow you to participate once..So unless you're going to raft and swim all day, plan on being at that park for a good 3 extra hours unless you take a cab back,,(kind of sketchy)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa 5* is an astonishing complex, situated on the Mayan Riviera, just 20 miles from Playa del Carmen, and 1 hour from the airport at Cancun. Is in a class of its own due to its spectacular design. It brings to mind the ancient Mayan buildings; but at the same time, a moder, minimalist style which blends perfectly with the luxurious natural vegetation in the gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HotelsClick, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel And Spa
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach
- Grand Sirenis Mexico
- Gran Sirenis
- Sirenis Riviera Maya
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa Mexico - Akumal