“Family Vaca at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Maryland
“Family Vaca at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I traveled with my husband, two adult children and my son's girlfriend so we booked 2 jr. suites for 1 week. My goal was to stay at a nice all-inclusive resort that had something for everyone and wouldn't break the bank. As a past travel agent, I researched many properties and found this resort would meet our needs. After reading all of the bad reviews I was a bit hesitant but am so glad we stayed at the Grand Sirenis. Over all I give this resort an A+ mainly because of the wonderful staff- they are there to please! From the moment we arrived at the property, we were treated like VIPs - started w champagne at check-in and continued with special treats/gifts in our room every day! The beds were comfortable- rooms could use some updates but overall were large and very clean thanks to the amazing cleaning staff! One room had an a/c issue and was taken care of immediately. The concierges were extremely helpful in arranging spa and a la cart dinning reservations. The spa was a great treat and between the five of us, we had 9 services from massages to body wraps. We also received a free 90 minute hydrotherapy treatment which was fun as we all did it together. The buffet dinning was really good and there was ALWAYS so much to choose from. The a la cart dinning was nice and the service was A +. Each room used room service for a late evening meal and they arrived within 10 minutes of ordering! The beach is beautiful with powdery white sand and there are plenty of lounges & shade available - the ocean has colorful fish everywhere and a sea turtle swam right up to me! The lazy river was very relaxing and if you want some fun, go to the pool near the steak house on the rivera side. The beach and pool side service was great, always ready to refill your drinks! The entertainment was ok - I would suggest they provide more Mexican heritage or Latin American entertainment and stay away from the musical (dance) productions of broadway hits. The Grand Sirenis is a great resort that met our needs and we plan on returning - we will stay longer next time!

Room Tip: *Request an upper floor room if you want good views and quiet. *Book your a la cart reservations a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Becky J
Grandrivieramaya, Gerente at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Hola OBXQueen,

Many thanks for your excellent review and for having chosen The Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya for your family vacation.

It’s good to hear you left happy with our staff, especially with the concierges, and that you did enjoy our spa services.

All our guests' contribution is highly appreciated, such as suggestions (as those about entertainment) and comments which help us find out about your preferences. I’m happy and enthusiastic for having met your expectations and would love to welcome you back.

Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,803)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Solihull
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have just returned from two weeks at this hotel and I will give you a good honest review.
We booked 3 rooms for 2 couples and 2 singles and requested quiet rooms on 2nd floor and all together. We more or less got what we asked for although one room was below the 2 others.The rooms are very large with either a king size bed or 2 double beds. The bathroom is spacious with a very large jacuzzi bath. All very clean and very comfortable. Don't listen to the other reviews saying the beds are bad. We found them very comfortable.The maids do a good job each day and are very friendly. The con siege are very good with the booking of the A lacarte restaurants but be aware they also try to get you to go and look at the privilege rooms in view of booking to go back. They get rewards for getting you to go. All the restaurants are passable but the Mediterranean and the Japanese are the best. You need to book when you arrive as the better ones are hard to get into.
The pool by the ice cream bar is the family pool but gets very rowdy with the younger guests smoking and drinking in the pool. We found the quiet pool was much better but we favored the beach. The beach is lovely but we recommend you take beach shoes as is a little rocky in places. The sea is lovely much better than the pools as they get to hot just like getting in the bath. We brought snorkeling gear and saw plenty of fish and breath taking Turtles. No need to go on Turtle trips as you can see them for free. The Spa is very good and I can recommend a massage £29 and a shellac manicure.£34. We also swam with the dolphins on resort and had the royal package at £70, well worth every penny. The food in the general restaurant was always very good. The bar service is excellent. We have been all inclusive several times but here they encourage you to have as much as possible not like other resorts where you still have limits.Room service is free. All the staff can't do enough to help you but Rosario the bell boy is most helpful getting you what you want eg: Taxis for days out etc. We recommend if there are a few of you in your party you do your own excursions with a taxi as this works out a lot cheaper with personal service and they know all the best places to eat . Top tips-, Go to Paradise beach in Tulumm (breath taking). Go into Playa de Carmen for night life and shopping. Coba pyramid and swimming in the Cenote ( underground water caves)
We always rank our holidays and number one is a Caribbean cuise and this comes second. We would highly recommend this hotel and will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a Quiet room on 2nd or above floors
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank Julia W
Hola Julia W,

Thank you very much for your visit and for taking the time and share the experience you had at our Resort.

I am pleased to know that you and your family have enjoyed our resort, the food in the restaurants, the room and our wonderful Spa; I am sharing as well your kind comments about our service with all the team, especially to Rosalio who was pleased to be mentioned on Trip Advisor.

Again, thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts with us and the rest of the travellers. The Grand Sirenis Management sends you warm greetings and hopes to see you again soon.

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was our first visit to this hotel, and even to Mexico; and what a brilliant visit it was! We stayed for 2 weeks, flying with Thomson on the 26th May and returning on the 10th June 2014.
Check in was on the slow side, but when we were greeted we were offered two rooms in two completely different locations which was a nice touch, and was given a map of the hotel and all the information we needed.

The rooms were brilliant; so much space! We stayed in the Kajun building which was next to the beach and the views were outstanding. The bed itself was extremely comfortable, our room had a divider between the bathroom and the actual room which was not a problem, but for people who travel as a family/friends; I can understand those rooms without the divider; why it would be a huge problem. The jacuzzi bath was very relaxing if you were sunburnt but did take a while to fill up.

The food, was incredible! My boyfriend who is extremely fussy ate anything and everything! The only downfall I would say is that the Italian a la carte, was not up to standards as some of the other a la cartes. However definitely try out the steakhouse and the Japanese restaurants as the service and food was fantastic. The buffet staff were fantastic, as soon as we sat down they would waiter on your straight away with water and any other refreshments you wanted.

The weather was very temperamental! We had one week of pure sunshine- where temperatures soared; however there was a thunderstorm, where it rained 3 days straight which made it extremely difficult to walk around the hotel as it was very slippery so be careful!

The animation team were brilliant. Very friendly and welcoming and the evening shows were excellent. Obviously they will not cater to every-bodies taste, but we enjoyed the Lion King and all of the pre-shows were hilarious.

Location: The hotel is not near any bars as the hotel itself does provide everything you need! If you wanted to leave the hotel and explore then Playa Del Carman was only a taxi ride away and I think it cost roughly 285 pesos, Akumal down the road was cheaper and the taxi prices are set prices so you cant get ripped off which for me, was a huge plus as it made me feel that extra bit safer.

On the whole, this was one of my favourite holidays and I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Michaela0510
Hola Michaela0510,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at the Grand Sirenis. It enlivens me to read your good comments about our staff as we put a lot of effort and resources to achieve so.

I am very pleased to know that you have enjoyed our spacious rooms, food and our staffs’ friendliness, especially the animation team; I will share with all of them.

Thanks again Michaela0510 for your comments. I am also very happy to hear that you are looking forward to returning to the hotel. Let me know when you will, so we can make your next arrival more especial and enjoyable, if possible.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have just come back from a 2 week holiday with my Fiance, it was our first visit to the The Grand Sirenis and first visit to Mexico and the place was absolutely amazing, I read some of the reviews before I left and thought oh my gosh what have I let myself in for but to be honest I really don't know what these people were complaining about the hotel is absolutely fabulous it is very large but very beautiful they have little shuttles you can just flag down and they will take you anywhere in the hotel you want to go which I thought was a brilliant idea. I couldn't fault anything on this holiday from the cleaning staff who would make cute little animals with the towels that was I very nice touch I felt, the concierge Chris, Jetz and Paco were absolutely fantastic nothing was too much trouble especially Chris he was great. The food was fantastic in the buffet restaurant which was the main restaurant the food was very tasty and lots of it the waiters were again brilliant could not do enough for you were always happy considering they don't get paid a great deal they were all happy in their work, the choice of restaurants you could book to go into were again brilliant our favourites were the Italian and the Japanese the food was great the Chef's did a wonderful job with the food especially Christian in the Japanese restaurant who cooked it all infront of you and made it entertaining. We just loved the place and would definitely go back, everybody there worked so hard to make your holiday enjoyable, even the waitresses on the beach the were lovely really looked after you. I cannot say enough about this hotel and the staff I really don't understand the bad reviews we could not fault it, well done Grand Sirenis absolutely perfect 10/10 see you again. ;)

Room Tip: Higher floors are better didn't hear any noise
9 Thank Samantha B
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Hola Samantha B,

Many thanks for your excellent review and for having chosen to spend your holidays Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya, your home away from home. We always appreciate our guests' contribution, suggestions and comments which help us find out about their preferences. It is very restorative when all the work behind the scenes is rewarded with words like yours.
I am happy that you’ve enjoyed all the details we take pride in offering our guests. Gladly I shared your lovely remarks to our team members, especially Chris, Jetz, Paco and Christian who were pleased to be mentioned on Trip Advisor.
I look forward to having the pleasure of seeing you back in the near future.

Joice Rivadeneyra
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was my and my boyfriends first time to the Riviera Maya. We definetly enjoyed our stay!
When you go somewhere for the first time, (out of the country), i think its hard to dissapoint because you really don't have anything else to compare it to. If you fly into Cancun, please know that no matter what the travel agencies say..you will be traveling for an hour or more.. You make a few stops on the way to pick and drop off at other resorts.

Pulling up to Grand Sirenis was magical after seeing all of the resorts before finally reaching ours. Its beautifully structured with a modern aztecan mayan theme. Our room was very clean and it was awesome for our stay..Just keep in mind the large cutout which will lack privacy for families in the junior suite.

The pool was where we spent most of our time. It was awesome..there are a couple of pools..One with entertainment and djs which initiate pool games and other fun activities. The other pool is more quiet with private tiki huts and canopied sunbeds. So the choice is up to you.
The beach was awesome as well. If you want a good spot, you have to head down a bit early though.

The food was okay..Nothing blew us out of the water. Their meats just werent tasteful to us at all. We weren't sure if maybe it was the difference in how the livestock are raised there, or the quality or what have you. We stuck mainly to familiar things such as fruit, pasta..etc.
The snack bars on the beach seemed extremely dirty..I know its on the beach but birds were constantly flying through, along with flies..which diminished your appetite.

If you're a drinker..bring your own. They have to be serving watered down alcohol..You could drink for days and not catch a buzz. The only way to catch a buzz is to take hardcore shots of Smirnoff which is their top shelf..A dollar really goes a far way..If you frequent the same spot every night and just throw a dollar or two, they will remember you and serve you quicker. They will also try to serve you "special shots or drinks" which in retrospect my boyfriend and i came up with the theory that these "special drinks" are fillers..Think about it..if you spend all day drinking juice, you're going to feel so bloated that you will be completely over it. Now if you like beer, thats the way to go! They only have Corona however. Beer is beer, it's on tap and can't be tampered with for that matter..so if you like beers, CERVEZA!

The staff was awesome..very nice and friendly..very helpful.
Jose at the bar was awesome! Also Angel! Heads up the shops in the resort only take pesos, you can convert them at the reception desk in the main lobby.

Nightlife..
There were live shows every night. Very entertaining. We saw the lion king, hula hoop acts, beauty and the beast and Phantom of the opera all while being served drinks.
The main lobby was a go to for everyone as well. They did have a disco (club)..that was way too far to walk. We caught the shuttle over, walked in..noticed 3 people..and instantly ran out to catch the shuttle back before it left..haha. I think its just such a far walk that noone even bothers.

Overall this resort was awesome being first timers. We really enjoyed ourselves.. The beds were doable.. first night a bit stiff, but unless you're sleeping on a sleep number or tempur pedic, i promise they arent that bad. Lots to do there and the weather and beach is gorgeous..
Wear Sunblock! Only downfalls i could really say is the weakness of their drinks and quality of the food..

When you arrive book your special restaurant meals first thing, as they go fast!
Hope you love it as much as we did!

P.S. We went through the XPLOR agency and did an excursion to a theme park of theirs which shuttled us in the morning to a park where we ziplined, rafted through the caves, swam through them and also rode amphibious vehicles..LOTS OF FUN..food and soft drinks included.
However..they drop you off at 9am and come back at 5pm to get you..Most of the activites only allow you to participate once..So unless you're going to raft and swim all day, plan on being at that park for a good 3 extra hours unless you take a cab back,,(kind of sketchy)

Room Tip: If you are traveling as a family, do not get the junior suite as it is geared more toward a couple w...
3 Thank AprilMercedes
Prestonpans, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was our second visit to this hotel. Our first visit was good this one was brilliant. The choice of various restaurants is amazing all good but the Mediterranean was head and shoulders out of them all ,The waiter Pedro the chef Yesica and the restaurant Captain Rogello where just magnificent the service was great the food was superb and the ambience was just fantastic.
Our Concierge Jean Miguel was so helpful and friendly.
The bar staff (to many to mention ) are the most hard working people I have seen and always with a smile.
The pool waitresses especially Karen are superb.
The hotel seems to be improving all the time and keep adding to things .
Overall a great experience and cant wait to return.

Room Tip: Up grade to block 19 if you can
9 Thank Colin B
Hola Colin B,

In the name of all the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa receive our most sincere appreciation for your loyalty to our resort.

It is really important to us to receive positive feedback as yours, and I am happy to know you enjoyed our food quality, the bar and our staff service , I will be sure to let the team members know that their efforts are appreciated and have not gone unnoticed, specially to Pedro, Yesica, Rogelio, Jean Miguel and Karen.

We would be more than happy to welcome you back for a third holiday in our resort.

Joice Rivadeneyra
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two weeks from 14th June. Was a bit apprehensive due to some recent reviews but needn't have been. Checked in quick and efficiently even though there were quite a few of us and taken by buggy to our rooms we requested wall or window between bathroom As staying with our 18 year old and this was provided in fact it was a wall. Also requested room in quiet location and top floor which was also provided. Room spacious and cleaned thoroughly on a daily basis. Bed I didn't find comfortable but my daughter and husband did! I think they need updating.
A la cartes provide a nice break from the main restaurant which is repetitive however there is always something for even the fussiest of eaters best meals there are probably breakfast And lunch. Must say thanks to Gerado at the Mexican for being an excellent waiter and making the meal fun. Best food personally was at the Mediterranean so well done to the chef. Also tried the steakhouse - good, Italian -v good. The BBQ at the beach for lunch is also good. All in all you won't starve here and food quality is high.
Resort
Not the greatest beach location due to being very rocky but large resort with 3 pools one quiet one which we spent most of our time at big thank you to Magala the drinks waitress at that pool who worked really hard you were never without a drink and we're close enough to the bar makes you very lazy.
Some areas like the glasswork around the rooms need more cleaning but we did find them doing this the day before we were leaving at painting this should perhaps be done more regularly to maintain its star ratings. Sun beds - could always get one but perhaps not where you wanted it unless you were up early but this problem is worldwide!
Entertainment
Very low key some decent shows those that moan should remember not to expect broadway! However should be more in the lobby area occasional bands but not on for long and they need more seating in the lobby areas.
Bar/staff/drinks
Excellent choice of drinks including premium brands, thanks to Jesus, Luis , Alberto and Amilcal for looking after us.
Some tips
Take American dollars or sterling to change when needed. You have to pay 750 pesos for safe should be free in this star of hotel but a must. Departure tax is 755 not 765 as told by Thomson pay in pesos because it's a bit cheaper. Exchange rate at hotel is around 19.8 but we got 20.3 at home so at least change here for tips, safe and tax. Despite reading otherwise you can pay this in sterling £40. Tips are obviously welcome and you should tip if you've had good service which on the whole you will. If you are thinking of booking don't be put off by some peoples reviews that clearly wouldn't be happy anywhere. We are fairly seasoned travellers and this is an unbiased review. If you have found it helpful please vote or if you've been and find it spot on then also vote as this will help others.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
36 Thank jaf_oreilly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#54 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!