“Discrace”

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Tyne and wear
“Discrace”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

DONT go here absolute waste of money. Me and my friend stayed here for two weeks, dirty rooms, it's meant to be five star platinum I wouldn't even rate it a three. We had broken air conditioning, had to move rooms at 1am to a dirty horrible room with blood stained bedding, ripped curtains absolute damn disgrace. The hotel is miles away from everything to top it off. The only good thing about Mexico is the flight home.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Kelly1985568
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Hola Kelly1985568,
Thank you for sharing your review about your stay with us. It saddens me to hear it was not completely satisfactory for you.
In relation to the issues in the rooms; one of our priorities is to fix or improve any imperfections of our structures and services. We check rooms on a daily basis but we are always subject to mechanical and/or human mistakes. As soon as we detect them, we put them out of service and replace them.
I would also like to confirm and rectify one important point to the Trip advisor community; despite our resort was almost 100 % full; our front desk offered you immediately a room change.
I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate how wonderful a stay at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya can truly be.

Joice Rivadeneyra
Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,741)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We were blown away when we arrived,with the size of the place, we were very tied and checking in was quite slow we were given a drink to refresh us. My young grandaughter who was 8 and I were 2 blocks away from the honeymooners. We were on the ground floor in front of a swimming pool. There were people cleaning and working all the time. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Not that you heard them working. We unpacked straight away then noticed a leak from the bathroom ceiling. Once I reported it they came very quickly to fix the problem. We went for a swim, by the time we got back to the room, you would not have known it had been leaking. We are quite fussy eaters, but had no problem finding something we loved. Rooms were big, and cool. My grandaughter and even myself enjoyed the evening shows that was on in the theatre every night. There was a market evening a few times a week, prices reasonable. Make sure you bring a brolly, when it rains it really buckets down. It can be very slippery. We were lucky 11 days of sunshine then the rain came. We went on 2 trips 1 to see and swim with dolphins FANTASTIC. Also the boat trip which was very relaxing. Snorkled and saw turtle and sting ray. Staff on the boats were so friendly. My only regret is being a older woman with an 8 year old I did not feel I could go on a walk-about to see the real Mexico.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Linney2013
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2014

General info: first time to Mexico, travelled with my husband for 10 days.
I will satrt with disadvantages, cause this is what poeople are looking for:) But trust me - they are minor:
- service in buffet was a bit slow. Very often I would come and they would not even notice my table. I don't mind, I can take care of myself, but you expect, you know. Also very often the tables would be not ready and it was hard to find a clean table for 2.
- on the entrance to teh ocean there are some rock so to feel comfotable, bring the water shoes. We did not have them and were completely ok, but some people would complain.
That is actually it.
The good part:

Hotel overall: Big, but beautiful! Gardens/jungles are everywhere and they are very well maintained so I enjoyed the nature there every day. I liked very much that it is big, since you would need to walk a bit, so it adds more to excersizes. We also liked to run around with my husband and saw many iguanas, racuns, other cute, but unknown for us animals and also wild beaches etc. Really great place.
Food: Overall, was very good. My favourite meal was breakfast. They had delicious smoothies at that time. For lunch we preferred going to the beach restauran. They served great meat and hamburgers, my favourite nachos with chees, yammy tacos. You have 4 choices of a-la-carte restos and it is more than enough. There is one French where you need to pay $60 to attend. We have got that one for free and it was an excellent one. From the rest we liked the most Medditerranian and Brazilian.
Service: People are very nice overall. I would like to say a special thank you to Chef in French restaurant Don Fransisco, whose duck and steak was just amazing! Also I would like to thank our best waiter Jesus for making our stay even better.
Rooms were super clean and well maintained. They would clean couple times a day. I don't need that often, but don't mind at all.
Pools: many and some of them are very cosy under the trees. There is always a spot to stay near pool. Great thing is a lazy river - we would go there every day.
Beach: Big and as well there are always a free spot to find. But the main advantage is just unforgettable snorkelling experience! We saw turtles couple of times and many beautiful-beautiful fishes. The reef is actually 15 meters from the beach. We bought one excursion where snorkelling was included and we both agreed that it is much better the one in hotel. All the vacation we were like in the big aquarium. Unforgettable experience!
Activities to do: plenty. We took 3 excursions: Maya Adventure (we went to open, closed cenote and to the place where underground river meets the ocean). Was super fun all day long. While snorkeling we met stingray and were able to be so unbelievable close to him.
We went to dive with ScubaAdvisor. I was soo scared and nervious, but thankfully to our hero and a great instructor Isrrael I did super good underwater. He made gorgeous pictures of us and dive 13 meters down! Again, we saw turtle having a meal with 2 wonderful huge fishes.
We also went to Chicen Itza. A must go place!
Overall, we both loved this vacation and I will keep the memories forever.

Room Tip: I guess that there is only one building facing the beach. Most of rooms are facing the jungles, whic...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Yaroslava B
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Hotel is beautiful and the staff are fantastic - namely Paulina on the beach who is a credit to the team and also the concierge staff Adrian and the team who again informed us of everything that was going on and booked our meals in the restaurants. We had 3 days of storms, it was dangerous in the hotel the amount of people we saw fall over i lost count but the hotel staff were trying their best sweeping the water. I personally thought that the Thomson reps could of organised something within these 3 days especially for people with children as people were just sat around with nothing to do.The staff cannot do enough for you and again helped make this holiday a relaxing one which is exactly what we wanted. Bit of advice if you get offered to go on the 90 minute session to talk about becoming a privalaged member/time share don't bother it was for over 3 hours and a lot of money to part with, a lot of people we spoke to also complained about this and how they felt pressured in the meeting, even 1 woman wanted to return home after her meeting!!!!! I must of said 10 times I am not interested but kept bringing people to us with yet another deal and what they could do for us, even to the point they brought a Scottish man to speak to us which I am not sure if they thought this would change our mind. Medical staff also need to have the correct equipment to help and support people as there was an incident which I will not put on here, this is not the medical staffs fault, Management need to ensure they are fully equipped. Wifi - this is the first hotel we have stayed and had to pay for it, then we were cut off after the first week and charged twice they did deduct it off the bill in the end. The hotel is beautiful and staff fantastic, would of been nice to see Management and also more of the Reps but apart from that you will enjoy, Our disappointment is with Thomson which half the people on the plane were but won't go into details as this is about the Grand Serenis however this did put an overall damper on the overall experience. Mexico is a beautiful country and we also met some fantastic people from over here that we will remain friends with. I always say when you read reviews it is what you make a holiday and we all have our own preferences and things we dont like however I would not put anyone going to this hotel, even so 2 of my team are going this year with their families!

Room Tip: Do not have a room next to the stairs for the higher floors as a lot of traffic especially when peop...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sue M
Maryland
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I traveled with my husband, two adult children and my son's girlfriend so we booked 2 jr. suites for 1 week. My goal was to stay at a nice all-inclusive resort that had something for everyone and wouldn't break the bank. As a past travel agent, I researched many properties and found this resort would meet our needs. After reading all of the bad reviews I was a bit hesitant but am so glad we stayed at the Grand Sirenis. Over all I give this resort an A+ mainly because of the wonderful staff- they are there to please! From the moment we arrived at the property, we were treated like VIPs - started w champagne at check-in and continued with special treats/gifts in our room every day! The beds were comfortable- rooms could use some updates but overall were large and very clean thanks to the amazing cleaning staff! One room had an a/c issue and was taken care of immediately. The concierges were extremely helpful in arranging spa and a la cart dinning reservations. The spa was a great treat and between the five of us, we had 9 services from massages to body wraps. We also received a free 90 minute hydrotherapy treatment which was fun as we all did it together. The buffet dinning was really good and there was ALWAYS so much to choose from. The a la cart dinning was nice and the service was A +. Each room used room service for a late evening meal and they arrived within 10 minutes of ordering! The beach is beautiful with powdery white sand and there are plenty of lounges & shade available - the ocean has colorful fish everywhere and a sea turtle swam right up to me! The lazy river was very relaxing and if you want some fun, go to the pool near the steak house on the rivera side. The beach and pool side service was great, always ready to refill your drinks! The entertainment was ok - I would suggest they provide more Mexican heritage or Latin American entertainment and stay away from the musical (dance) productions of broadway hits. The Grand Sirenis is a great resort that met our needs and we plan on returning - we will stay longer next time!

Room Tip: *Request an upper floor room if you want good views and quiet. *Book your a la cart reservations a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Becky J
Grandrivieramaya, Gerente at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Hola OBXQueen,

Many thanks for your excellent review and for having chosen The Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya for your family vacation.

It’s good to hear you left happy with our staff, especially with the concierges, and that you did enjoy our spa services.

All our guests' contribution is highly appreciated, such as suggestions (as those about entertainment) and comments which help us find out about your preferences. I’m happy and enthusiastic for having met your expectations and would love to welcome you back.

Solihull
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have just returned from two weeks at this hotel and I will give you a good honest review.
We booked 3 rooms for 2 couples and 2 singles and requested quiet rooms on 2nd floor and all together. We more or less got what we asked for although one room was below the 2 others.The rooms are very large with either a king size bed or 2 double beds. The bathroom is spacious with a very large jacuzzi bath. All very clean and very comfortable. Don't listen to the other reviews saying the beds are bad. We found them very comfortable.The maids do a good job each day and are very friendly. The con siege are very good with the booking of the A lacarte restaurants but be aware they also try to get you to go and look at the privilege rooms in view of booking to go back. They get rewards for getting you to go. All the restaurants are passable but the Mediterranean and the Japanese are the best. You need to book when you arrive as the better ones are hard to get into.
The pool by the ice cream bar is the family pool but gets very rowdy with the younger guests smoking and drinking in the pool. We found the quiet pool was much better but we favored the beach. The beach is lovely but we recommend you take beach shoes as is a little rocky in places. The sea is lovely much better than the pools as they get to hot just like getting in the bath. We brought snorkeling gear and saw plenty of fish and breath taking Turtles. No need to go on Turtle trips as you can see them for free. The Spa is very good and I can recommend a massage £29 and a shellac manicure.£34. We also swam with the dolphins on resort and had the royal package at £70, well worth every penny. The food in the general restaurant was always very good. The bar service is excellent. We have been all inclusive several times but here they encourage you to have as much as possible not like other resorts where you still have limits.Room service is free. All the staff can't do enough to help you but Rosario the bell boy is most helpful getting you what you want eg: Taxis for days out etc. We recommend if there are a few of you in your party you do your own excursions with a taxi as this works out a lot cheaper with personal service and they know all the best places to eat . Top tips-, Go to Paradise beach in Tulumm (breath taking). Go into Playa de Carmen for night life and shopping. Coba pyramid and swimming in the Cenote ( underground water caves)
We always rank our holidays and number one is a Caribbean cuise and this comes second. We would highly recommend this hotel and will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a Quiet room on 2nd or above floors
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank Julia W
Hola Julia W,

Thank you very much for your visit and for taking the time and share the experience you had at our Resort.

I am pleased to know that you and your family have enjoyed our resort, the food in the restaurants, the room and our wonderful Spa; I am sharing as well your kind comments about our service with all the team, especially to Rosalio who was pleased to be mentioned on Trip Advisor.

Again, thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts with us and the rest of the travellers. The Grand Sirenis Management sends you warm greetings and hopes to see you again soon.

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was our first visit to this hotel, and even to Mexico; and what a brilliant visit it was! We stayed for 2 weeks, flying with Thomson on the 26th May and returning on the 10th June 2014.
Check in was on the slow side, but when we were greeted we were offered two rooms in two completely different locations which was a nice touch, and was given a map of the hotel and all the information we needed.

The rooms were brilliant; so much space! We stayed in the Kajun building which was next to the beach and the views were outstanding. The bed itself was extremely comfortable, our room had a divider between the bathroom and the actual room which was not a problem, but for people who travel as a family/friends; I can understand those rooms without the divider; why it would be a huge problem. The jacuzzi bath was very relaxing if you were sunburnt but did take a while to fill up.

The food, was incredible! My boyfriend who is extremely fussy ate anything and everything! The only downfall I would say is that the Italian a la carte, was not up to standards as some of the other a la cartes. However definitely try out the steakhouse and the Japanese restaurants as the service and food was fantastic. The buffet staff were fantastic, as soon as we sat down they would waiter on your straight away with water and any other refreshments you wanted.

The weather was very temperamental! We had one week of pure sunshine- where temperatures soared; however there was a thunderstorm, where it rained 3 days straight which made it extremely difficult to walk around the hotel as it was very slippery so be careful!

The animation team were brilliant. Very friendly and welcoming and the evening shows were excellent. Obviously they will not cater to every-bodies taste, but we enjoyed the Lion King and all of the pre-shows were hilarious.

Location: The hotel is not near any bars as the hotel itself does provide everything you need! If you wanted to leave the hotel and explore then Playa Del Carman was only a taxi ride away and I think it cost roughly 285 pesos, Akumal down the road was cheaper and the taxi prices are set prices so you cant get ripped off which for me, was a huge plus as it made me feel that extra bit safer.

On the whole, this was one of my favourite holidays and I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Michaela0510
Hola Michaela0510,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at the Grand Sirenis. It enlivens me to read your good comments about our staff as we put a lot of effort and resources to achieve so.

I am very pleased to know that you have enjoyed our spacious rooms, food and our staffs’ friendliness, especially the animation team; I will share with all of them.

Thanks again Michaela0510 for your comments. I am also very happy to hear that you are looking forward to returning to the hotel. Let me know when you will, so we can make your next arrival more especial and enjoyable, if possible.

Assistant Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,379 reviews

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!