“Grand Sirenis Mexico”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was our first trip to mexico and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The hotel was fantastic in many ways and the staff were so friendly. Special mention to Ruben, Natalia and Jonathon (our concierges) for their support and help during the holiday - they were all so helpful.

The pool staff and waiting staff were always smiling and made you feel very welcome.

The only criticism would be the food. With the exception of the a la carte Brazilian and Japanese restaurants, the food was very average. I would not recommend the Mexican a la carte or steak house - these were simply awful.

Overall though - would definitely go again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Daniel H
Write a ReviewReviews (14,987)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was my second trip to the Mayan Riviera staying in an all-inclusive, but have traveled all over the world. We were on a week-long vacation for a friend's wedding.

Airport - disastrous - it took us two hours to clear through immigration -- that was unbelievable - and no air conditioning either - I will think twice about going back to Cancun/Mayan because of this alone.

Transport to the hotel - the bus was cool, clean, and quick - we were the first of two stops, so it was WONDERFUL. The last time, we were on the milk run.

Check in was fast and easy. We were given a map, and told about the restaurants and the buffets. We were told to check with our concierge when we got to our building. We were there, our luggage delivered to our room within 10 minutes. Great service by the front desk and the bellhops.

Our room was always clean, and kept cool. No complaints other than the mini bar had very limited selection of both soft drinks and just had one beer in it, and the bed was as hard as a rock - seriously. Believe all the stuff you read about that. Our Air Transat service gave us free safe use - we were never told about the Internet, but it was $40 for two weeks - I would have bought it if I had known it was that inexpensive.

My biggest (and it is big) complaint was the food. There was lots of selection in both the main buffet and our little pool side buffet (which was only open in the morning), but it essentially all tasted the same, and it was served at one temperature - lukewarm. There are actually microwaves in the buffet so you can heat up your food - along with a sign saying that all of the food is served at 65degrees. I actually lost 3 pounds while staying at an all-inclusive!?!

We hesitated to book our a la carte restaurants until we met with the rest of the group, and as a result, did not get any of the restaurants or times we wanted. We ended up with the steak house (most boring steak dinner I've ever eaten), and the mediterranean - I would skip them both.

It's too bad that the food was so awful and the people working at the resort seemed to be working so hard to make sure the resort was beautiful and clean. Obviously, the chefs are not given much to work with. By far the best meal we had on the resort was at the spa. There is a little sandwich/fast fry place there - it was delicious and fresh.

The beach was rocky, but the snorkeling was FANTASTIC - no need to venture away from the resort to see some fish! The seats were hard to come by both at the pool and at the beach - too bad resorts never do what they say they'll do and clean off the towels that are just left behind.

The other peeve I have is that there is a clearly laid out class system at the resort. Those that are VIPs - time shares, etc. with black or red bands, and the rest of us. The black bands get to ride shuttles everywhere, have access to private VIP rooms, and first dibs at all of the a la carte restaurants. The rest of us are left to walk 10 minutes to the main buffet every time we want anything other than breakfast or ice cream. We did the dolphin swim (a pretty good deal - except for the price they are charging for the pictures), and even though we all paid the same price for the experience, the people with black bands were catered to. One 6 year old with us was not allowed an extra chance when the dolphins pushed her too hard, but when the same thing happened to the 11 year old traveling with a black band, the lifeguard ensured they had a great experience. I will NEVER go back to this resort just because of the two-tiered system (which I wouldn't have even noticed if it hadn't been that some of our party were "VIPs" and the majority of us weren't).

There really wasn't much to do at the resort, so we ended up venturing out on excursions. Car rental is available right at the hotel, and was much cheaper and more convenient than booking excursions to Xel-Ha and Tulum. We also took the car to Playa del Carmen for a shopping trip. Best way to get around EVER!

Make sure to check with your travel agent to see what your package includes - we got the safe, a bottle of tequila, and a $20 spa credit - none of which the hotel bothered to mention.

Room Tip: I agree that the main floor is crazy noisy with the concierge phones ringing and the golf carts driv...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank SLSCalgary_AB_Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2014

2 weeks in march 2014, had a great time, cocktails, great service,massive rooms,hot tub bath in rooms,food to die for, what more could you want ?

Would recommend to anyone but only let down is beach it's not quite what we expected.

Room Tip: As for a room close to reception other wise long walks
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Teddybear3003
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Hi Teddybear3003,

Thank you for your in depth review, I found your feedback very interesting and have learnt a lot from your experiences.

I am happy to know that you enjoyed the cocktails, the wonderful rooms, the food and our service.

The Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya team looks forward to seeing you very soon.

Joice Rivadeneyra
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Have been to this hotel 4times and have booked again arriving on the 30th Oct 2014 to celebrate my wife's 60 the birthday.I can't say anything bad about this hotel and with my wife we have been very happy here.the staff are wonderful and can't do enough for you.looking forward to returning .Norrie&Heather Dale

Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 20 July 2014

What an amazing holiday there is not a bad thing I can say about this hotel and feel it should be shouted about! I have never filled a review in online before but feel this hotel is well worthy and for everyone to know how fantastic it is as people are always too quick to complain and not compliment.
Me and my partner went in June this year for 2 weeks for a relaxing break and loved every minute and barely left the resort as there was so much to do.
We mainly sat by the lively pool each day and loved the entertainment team especially Jamie and Mario. Playing water polo and volleyball each day was fab and we loved the swim up bar.
The 3 members of staff who made our holiday were Iver, Luis and Ibanue. They worked on our bar and couldn't do enough for us. They remembered what drinks we liked and made us surprise drinks throughout the day and kept the bar lively. Perfect service!!!

The hotel was the cleanest I have ever been in. The whole place was immaculate and the staff were constantly cleaning and maintaining high standards.

The gym and spa facilities were fabulous and we had an amazing aloe Vera treatment on the 1st week and was well looked after.

The restaurants were great and had plenty of options. I am a vegetarian and usually struggle but nothing was too much trouble. We even visited the Brazilian restaurant and I was informed I wouldn't be able to eat but Angel ensured chef made me something which was great as I was planning on eating in the buffet after my partner had experienced the Brazilian.
Our favourite was the Japanese.
The only advise I would give is that you make your meal reservations as soon as you arrive as they do book up very early on so you may miss out on certain days and slots.

The beach was gorgeous and there was plenty of sun loungers so no need to worry about reserving or getting up early.
The canoes, peddle boats and snorkels are All free to use and the jet skis very cheap.

My only gripe is only a small one but it should be noted. I was slightly disappointed to have to pay for wifi in such a luxury hotel. Have never had to pay before and it also wasn't very good in our room 2500's block. It only worked when I was near the hotel lobby which defeats the object really.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to any young couples looking for a gorgeous resort that offers top notch service and plenty to do.
We will definitely be returning :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Emma W
Reviewed 20 July 2014

As we got to the resort we was abit on edge as we had read a few bad reviews and didnt no what to expect, when we arrived we was totally amazed about how nice staff were and how clean and tidy the place was not to mention everything was just beautiful! Our room was remarkable so spacious and the maid was great! gave it such a thorough clean everyday and our mini bar was filled everyday too, the bath was amazing too along with an separate shower and a huge sink!
The food was good plenty of choice in buffet, also we had Marcial the waiter who was just amazing and sorted us out all the time. We went to 5/6 restaurants booked with our concierge Maria who was very nice and helpful. we went to steak house, Mexican, Brazilian, Japanese which were all amazing especially the Japanese! we also went to the Mediterranean which we found not so good. We also booked the spa and did the hydrotherapy treatment which so amazing!
We spent a few days at the activity pool which was fun always got stuff happening and its quite loud round there we just liked the swim up bar, we spent most of our time at the relaxing pool which was just great so quiet and the bar ladie Guadalope brought us drinks every 15minutes and was so friendly! The beach was just a short walk away from the relaxing pool and was lovely, it is rocky and you need to be careful were you put your feet but breath taking, there is an hours free snorkeling everyday along with kayaking and other water activities which is great lots of colorful fish in the sea! also the lazy river is a nice relaxing thing to do to.
There is lots of excursions available we only did Xel-Ha which we booked with excursions in the red shirts we DO NOT recommend them, go with Thomsons.
The only problem we had with the hotel is that only members are allowed bottled water we have to have it in plastic cups, this really annoyed me as everyone should be entitled to bottled water!!!!!!!
All in all this was an amazing holiday loved all the animals there and would recommenced this hotel, its so clean and all the workers there work so hard !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Sophy S
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We travelled to grand sirenis with Thomson 26th june 2014 for two weeks. I cannot praise the staff enough as nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. A special mention for Olga, for keeping our room immaculately clean, and providing us with a different towel feature every day, also, for Lidiana in the Lobby bar for excellent, friendly service in the evenings. There is a great coffee bar, three good pools(although one rather noisy d J)
beach is good and fish in sea all the time to see when snorkelling. Food is good in buffet restaurant, please bear in mind they are catering for all nations here, it cannot be easy and you can't please everybody, there was always something to eat. waiter service on beach and pools very good they really work very hard.
I would also like to mention the Dolphin experience on hotel grounds, Amazing!!! Don't do Thomson dolphin trip use this one easy to get to and cheaper too ,free show every day and we swam with dolphins for one hour and did loads of stuff for 119 dollars for two of us. Great deal. Do try to get some shade as it is very hot !!
Racoons and lizards are good fun.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ccfcgaz
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hola ccfcgaz,

I am much honored to know that you enjoyed the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya, our facilities, the grounds, the coffe bar, the pool and our amazing beach, all those details are part of our brand and the compromise that we have to offer to our guests. Our goal is your relaxation and made of your stay a perfect and unique experience.

I appreciate the fact of highlight the services and the personal attention from our staff, reviews like yours, are the motivation to keep in the good job, especially for Olga and Liliana; we will pass all your inspiring comments to them.

I am also very happy to hear that you were looking forward to returning to the hotel for your 2nd visit.

Joice Rivadeneyra