“Rooms need updating”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We spent 11 nights at the hotel in July. The grounds and pool areas are very well maintained and beautiful. There are 3 pools -one a quiet pool where you can relax which is also quite shaded and two pools where activities take place during the day. The animation team are very friendly and try to cater for most people -although the vast majority of participants are teenagers-so if you have a teenage family I am sure Jamie,Carlos and Mario will keep them entertained. The entertainment at night is typical hotel fair-kiddie disco, crazy game and then a show such as Grease,Lion King etc. The quality of the food and drink in the hotel is very good-the buffet can be a bit repetitive but they do try and theme it with Oriental and Mexican nights-in fact the Mexican buffet in the main restaurant is much better than the Mexican A La Carte which I thought was very poor...so I would not waste an A La Carte dining experience on the Mexican restaurant. Our favourite restaurant by far was the Japanese.,closely followed by the Mediterranean. These do get booked quite quickly so I would recommend booking with the concierge as soon as you arrive so you are not disappointed.
Now the criticisms-the rooms are quite dated-very noisy air-conditioning-which we had to switch off in order to sleep, the locks on our door failed on three occasions-and were never fixed-which resulted in security being called to change batteries...3 times in 4 days??? The showers and tiling are in need of upgrading to bring it to the standard of a 5 star resort.
Large complex -very busy-I would not recommend it as a romantic destination....but suited to young couples or families with older children.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to get a view-ground floor rooms have only a view of shrubbery.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank carolanne2504
There are newer reviews for Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Reviewed 1 August 2014

we arrived on the 14th july, checkon was very quick. taken to our room by the bell boy. room was massive and extremely clean. we had to hire the safe .slippers and dressing gown supplied . food in the buffet was hit and miss. I would wdvice you not to eat the chicken as its always raw. alacarte ,, fabulous esp steakhouse and brazillian. ive got to mention juan carlos from the steakhouse el rancho. what a fantatstic man he was. it was our 10th wedding anniversary and oh my did he treat us like royalty.thank u juan carlos.the hotel site is massive probably the size of a city lol. theres a shuttle bus to get artound on with the driver juan , my star of the holiday. he took us all around the complex. he even showed us where the spider monkeys are and on the last day my hubby , juan and myself spotted them. the wildlife is fantastic here , raqcoons , iguanans ghekos monitor lizards , humming birds and the odd snake. the pools are all kept cleaned and very well maintained. I reported a broken step on the pool and within the hour it hjad been removed and replced.all the staff are friendly and work very hard , no one expects u to tip them , the only rude member of staff was on the beach bar , I didn't get his name otherwise I wud have reported him.entertainmnet is absolutely dire. we went to the beach party on Saturday nite, bar didn't open till 830, no ashtrays , I was told to chuck the fag butts on a wooden floor, mm not a gud idea. the beach to the left side of the hotel is paradise, the water is turquoiuse blue and emerald green, ur swimming with tropical fish, angel fish barramundis and zebra fish.please get up early to see the sunrise its spevctavcular , nature at its best. 6.15am. rite the bad points, this hotel as wat I call the 95% syndrome. this wats lets it down making it no more than a 4 star. I had 60 cigarettes taken from my room, on informing not only my concierge issac but also the Thomson rep who if u ask me needs the sack. thomsons rtep at this hotel are disgusting and do not deserve a job, I also reported it to the front desk. not one single person was interested , everyday for the last 4days of my holiday I reported it,, to nop avail, . it wasn't until we checked out or shud I say tried to check out that it was sorted. we didn't fin d out we had a delay of 6hrs until we went to check out. the man dealing with us on the front desk unfortunately I cant remember his name wat a star. once he found out about the theft he rung round and even the mamnagement he rung to try ands find out wat if anything had been sorted. well becus of the delay and u have to be out of ur room for 12 this man let us stay in opur room for free until 2pm as an apology for the way we had been treated. rite Thomson reps,,,,, they tell u not to swim with the dolphins at the hotel because they are not in there natural environment and not treated properly so we decided to go with thomnsons. 300 quid to swim and 60 quid for 2 fotos later,,, the water the doplphins were in was absolutely disgustingly filthy dirty and smelt rotten and yet the hotel dolphins oh my a world of difference . we went to the dolphin enclosure at 11 am for the free dolphin show cudnt believe how clean it was and how well care d for these beautifgul creatures were. I answered a question correctly and got a free swim with Charlie the dolphin. all that the Thomson reps are interested in is money ggrr. rite moans about the resort itself wat lets it down. the wifi u have to pay for , it works out 10 quid a day, the safe again u have to pay for 30 quid for 2weeks. the room , after 2days the ashtray was taken out and not replaced there was never a bin liner in the bin and the cleaner was forever going in my bag so I set her a trap and yes she waqlked straight into it. at night no places to drink outside, on,ly the lobby bars which are quite clinical. the drinks arnt that bad, ive hyad worse.never enough ashtrays or seating in the lobby at night. the girls who works the bar and the beach and pool areas they are the hardest and most polite girls I have eva met, a big hello to norma tuz. the entertainment was non existent absolutely dire. soooooooooooo boring at night we were going bed at 9pm .rite Thomson air stewardess wata fabulous job they did . I had a major problem going out with a man behind me who intimidated me and in the end threatened ,e. I didn't want my hubby to know so I went to one of the girls asked her for a word. omg she was absolutely brilliant, calmed down sorted it out immediately even both of the pilots came out to me to speak to me because the man was going to be arrested as we landed. anyways he must have been spoken tyo because everything went ok afters so I decided not to have him arrested because I didn't want his wife to be on her own in mexico. on the way back we had the same airhotess who recognised me straightaway asked if we were ok etc. ,,,, back to the hotel, would o go back no because the world is a big place and its there to be explored. would I recommend this hotel yes if ur a couple and u don't expect 5star treatment. hope this review is helpful .

Room Tip: naab building
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank alison b
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We came back last week from a two weeks visit to this beautiful resort (July 12-26). Really enjoy our stay. The resort is sparkling clean, as are the rooms. As everybody was mentioning, the rooms are very large, with jacuzzi tub and a large shower with back nozzles. They provide toiletries, shower gel and shampoo, slippers, but we did not have bathrobes. We had the partition between the bathroom and the room. We have asked for a room on the third floor, and we got it in building 17 – Luum, which was very close to the beach and the entertainment pool. The TV was a newer model, LCD with a bunch of English channels, one of them for kids.
We were late risers and always able to find a palapa at the entertainment pool around 10 in the morning. Same with the beach, lots of shade/palapas, especially at the beach on the left side of the beach guard after you pass the premium club enclosure (opposite BBQ restaurant). Clear water, lots of fish swimming around you.
Drink service on the beach and at the pool provided, those ladies work very hard in the heat, the drinks are always served with a smile – thank you Guadalupe.
The food was good, tasty, good selection at the buffet, especially in the morning. Crepes, pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, eggs, sausages, bacon, toast, cereal, cheese (love it), yogurt, warm sandwiches and croissants, donuts etc, not to mention mimosas some days (but had to get there early for it). Can have lunch at the main buffet (Riviera side), both pool restaurants (steakhouse at Riviera and Cajun at Mayan Beach) or at the beach. Book early the restaurants, especially the Japanese (yummy fried iced cream) and brasilian, which seem to be the most popular.
Loved the iced cappuccino at the coffee shop and the chocolate ice cream at the ice cream shop. Tea time in the main lobby around 5pm, when they serve cookies, tea and popcorn.
The lazy river is a nice addition and can be very relaxing, unfortunately many kids and even adults are just swimming and playing around without a ring which can be a bit annoying.
The resort is big, but not massive and it takes a day or two at the beginning to find shortcuts and learn your way around. Never needed a shuttle, we enjoyed the walk. Beautifully lit at night, a real pleasure to walk after dinner, to burn all the food and sweets.
Have to pay for the safe and internet, wifi very slow or non-existent in the room, faster in the lobby.
Re the time share sell, the concierge did ask us once if we want to attend, we declined and that was it, with the exception of two flyers in the door, that they left which you can ignore if you are not interested.
We flew with West Jet, uneventful flight (this is how you want it to be), on time, no complaints; had seat entertainment system on the flight there but none when we came back – they were renting tablets for movies. No food served on the plane only some snacks and drinks. Best Day is their travel provider at the resort and they give you all the info needed about the trips; you can book trips with them. They also provide the transport to and from the airport. We did Xel-ha and Xplor, both beautiful parks with the food and drinks included in the tickets. The hotel offers discount for the dolphins packages on site. There is a Budget rental car company on site, we rented a car for a day to see the ruins at Tulum and Akumal beach.
We had a lovely weather, 14 days of sunshine with only 2 hours of rain one day (it also rained pretty hard one night but this does not count).
When we left they were replacing the loungers at the pool with new ones.
We had a lovely holiday, and hope to return one day.

10  Thank Leo9r
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just back from 10 days at The Grand Sirenis, had a fantastic time. This is a very good resort hotel where they work very hard to ensure you have a great stay. I read all the reviews before I went and once again wondered if some people actually stayed in the same place. Perhaps some people just like to moan.

Flew with Thomson on the Dreamliner which is a great aircraft, so much space, but come on Thomson, update the movies and charge less to book a seat.

Arrival at the hotel can a bit daunting, with a coachload all trying to book in at once and only limited front desk space. However we got the rooms we requested ( third floor Makal ) for the quiet and the view, although noise is not actually a problem. At first impression the resort is huge and intimidating, but after a day or so you learn the shortcuts and it is manageable. Nowhere is more than a ten minute walk, so unless you are lazy it is not a problem. The grounds are fantastic, a mix of manicured lawns and jungle, carefully tended and loads of wildlife, we loved the Racoons and Tejon. You could pay good money to visit botanic gardens like these. Rooms are huge ! Biggest we have ever had, and the beds are large and comfortable. Housekeeping was exemplary with a new towel creation on the bed every day. If you have been out all day you can order room service as part of the all inclusive and it is quite good with a varied menu, gets delivered complete and on time. The racoons will eat any left overs put outside your room, so place your food in the bins provided in the lobbies to save the mess.

Be sure to book your a la Carte restaurant choices soon after arrival with the concierges in the lobbies or the best slots will have filled up. Italian and Mediterranean were our favourites but the food was great everywhere, and varied. There is a coffee bar, beachside BBQ, Taco Hut and ice cream parlour so you won't go hungry.

The staff in all the bars and restaurants are well trained, cheerful and work so hard. Never once felt we were being asked to tip ( apart from the bell boys, but they are the same the world over )
however we did tip people we came into contact with often, such as the lady who brought us poolside drinks all week. We personally never saw anyone rowdy or drunk, everyone good natured and mostly polite. You never wait long to be served.

Be sure to go to Playa del Carmen for the shopping and just to get out. We used the Collectivo (public minibus) which you get from the main gate. Just wait by the road and they pull up in minutes, safe, air conditioned and cheap just 35 pesos per person each way. Much cheaper than a taxi. The Collectivo stop is just 3 blocks from Avenida Quinta which is where all the shops are. The driver will point the way to go. No end of shops selling usual tourist stuff, all very friendly and safe. Use the bars for the free wi-fi and toilets.You get the Collectivo back from where they drop you off and you won't have to wait. We also went to Xel Ha which was a good day out, almost no queuing and good food a part of the ticket price, wish they could run Thorpe Park like this.... We heard xPlor was also good, but lots of queuing.

You will have to get up early to reserve a prime poolside lounger with shade, a bit tedious and unBritish, but is the same the world over I am sure. The beach is not world class, a bit rocky and the breeze is onshore so it is a bit wavy, however the pools are great and there is a lazy river going through the gardens. You can have a free bike tour as well.

All in all a great place very well run by friendly people, a great introduction to Mexico. My only niggle would be having to pay to use the room safe - that was a first, and really they should be looking to provide free wi-fi in a resort of this class. Nice to see the retro TV's - big old things from 15 years ago, but they do have the BBC World Service.

Room Tip: Look at the map before you go, ask for a top floor room in the block you choose. Makal and Akam are...
12  Thank David T
Reviewed 31 July 2014

US: A couple, mid 30s female & a mid 40s husband. We’ve both travelled to different destinations worldwide. I work in the travel industry FT.

WHEN WE STAYED: July 12th-26th 2014

Just wonderful! Every time we stay it just gets better & better. Amazing weather for the entire 2 weeks; yes, very hot & humid with a few odd thunderstorms in the morning that quickly disappeared after 30min.

The staff are wonderful, friendly, professional and cannot do enough for you. These people are amazing, working long hours 6 days a week with a big hola. Cannot say enough good things about the staff!

The food has definitely improved over last year; proving the resort listens to the feedback. The buffet has a huge selection appealing to many. Some complain that the food gets repetitive after a week or 2; the same can be said at home though. Regular theme nights; if you can’t find something to eat & enjoy you only have yourself to blame.

A la carte restaurants:

Our favourites: Italian, French, Japanese & Brazilian. The seafood linguine at the Italian was amazing. French is just wonderful; a quiet, intimate experience with divine food & service that includes rack of lamb, lobster, duck a l’orange, filet mignon etc. Well worth the supplement if you don’t receive it complimentary as a member. The sushi and teriyaki salmon at the Japanese was delicious & very filling; our waitress at the teppanyaki table was constantly taking care of everyone. Brazilian, nothing but meat. The yellow curry sauce is so good! The spinach salad with goat cheese was delicious too. The staff provided excellent, attentive service in all of these places.

The 2 times we were at the Brazilian large groups came in for the 830pm sitting, the groups definitely put a strain on the service. The resort may need to reconsider how many groups they book into a small a la carte at one time.

I’ve read reviews of people claiming the got food poisoning from the resort. I didn’t see any questionable food/drink handling from the staff. Been to the Sirenis numerous times and have never had issues with the food so I find the food poisoning statements very questionable.

The Steakhouse was meh; we went once during our 2 week stay and didn’t want to go back which is shame since it was very good on our previous trips.

The wine list offers a good selection with some amazing options. We opted for a Mexican red at the French and we brought the bottle home under the hopes we can find it here.

We enjoy the coffee shop every time we go.

We enjoyed breakfast every day in the Steakhouse restaurant; it’s a great way to beat the crowds and grab a quick meal by the pretty pool. The selection isn’t as large as the buffet but we prefer ambiance over mass quantities of food.

The lazy river is so nice and a unique feature of the resort.

The resort can be a little quiet at night which is perfect for us as we go for R & R. It’s an hour south of the Cancun Airport but most major attractions such as Xel-Ha, Akumal beach, Xplor, Tulum etc are within 40 mins of the resort so the location is fantastic for off site excursions. Coba & Ek Balam are magical!

In general-ignore the haters & moaners. Many of the negative comments on here are laughable at best. For a resort the size of the Sirenis; it’s a strong 4.5/5 star resort. The people who compare large resorts to smaller ones are not offering a fair comparison. Would you compare an apple to the proverbial orange? The people who complain clearly have not travelled a lot or they have unrealistic expectations. If they did, they would be more reasonable. In this day & age there is no reason to have a bad vacation if you’ve done some basic research and go with a positive attitude. Don’t ruin your own vacation!

The spa: A little pricy but well worth it. I’ve had several treatments and we always get a couples beachfront massage which is heavenly every time. Hearing the waves, the ocean breeze. It was so good we went for a 2nd couples massage this trip. Highly recommend! The waxing, hydrotherapy and slimming treatments are very professional. Isis at the spa, you did a wonderful job! Hope to see you next time! Hydrotherapy pools are so nice and definitely unique to the resort.

The diving, Aqua Excursions was a complete blast. They are just down the beach from the beach BBQ area. Marco(s) & Carlos-so helpful, friendly & professional. Love them & already miss them! Did 8 dives at the resort and 2 Cozumel; one of the highlights of our trip.

The regular rooms are looking a little tired and could use some updating but If you’re a member, you will be spoilt rotten! The regular rooms are massive.

Make sure to look at a resort map online and add as many room requests as possible to minimize un necessary walking in the blazing sun. They do their best to accommodate requests so it never hurts to ask. If you like quiet rooms definitely go with the top floor to avoid the shuttle noise and loud people returning to their rooms.

Yes, the floors can be slippery when it rains but so can every other resort in the Riviera Maya. The staff do everything they can to get rid of the water. Do be careful and take some responsibility for your own well being.

Buidlings 18 & 17 are close to 1 of the pools and a la carte resturants

We did have some minor glitches but they were quickly addressed. We love this place as it’s truly paradise and have already booked additional stays at the Sirenis.

There are some specific people we would like to recognize:

ALBERTO & ALFONSO: The butlers for presidential members-you guys are just amazing! Always there when we need you and so attentive.We want for nothing when we are there.

ISIS at the Spa: Thank you for the wonderful treatments & making sure I was happy & comfortable every step of the way.

KAREN at the members beach area: Wonderful service with a beautiful smile! None stop service in the blazing heat! ESPERANZA who covered Karen’s day off; you remembered our drinks after not seeing us for a week! Thank you for being so thoughtful & attentive!

PEDRO CHE at the Italian: Waited on us hand and foot without being intrusive

ALVERTO at the Brazilian-always on the go taking care of the patrons.

AUDO at the Mediterrean: Just lovely

The 2 ladies who gave us beachfront massages, I am sorry I forgot your names but THANK YOU for a very relaxing time!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE! Troy & Sabrina

See you in January

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank PickledCactus
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We visited the Grand Sirenis the week of July 11 to 18th. Prior to leaving I read some of the comments that were posted and was a little concerned. Everyone at the resort was extremely helpful and willing to provide any service to make our stay more comfortable. We stayed in building 25 and had the best concierge's in Fabian, Alan and Arlina, anything we needed were quickly taken care of by them. The food was great at both the buffet's and the a la carte restaurants. The pools were amazing, as was the entire property. The kids swam with the dolphins, to have that available on the resort was spectacular. There is a lot of walking because the resort is large, but after the great ice cream at the ice cream parlor we could use the exercise. I can't say enough about this resort, I would definitely stay there again. The kids loved the lazy river and the snorkeling. Remember you are on vacation so if something isn't perfect just make the best of it and enjoy the great weather.

Room Tip: The hotel deals with peso's so you will probably get a better rate exchanging your money prior t...
5  Thank Dina V
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Hola Dina V,

Thank you so much for staying at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya and for taking the time to share your comments.

I am happy to know you enjoyed our food quality, the lazy river and our ice cream parlour, it is pleasing to note your positive comments, I will be sure to let the team members know that their efforts are appreciated and have not gone unnoticed, specially to Fabian, Alan, Arlina and all your friends that you made at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

Our hope is that every vacation be a memorable and enjoyable one. I sincerely hope that you will return to Mexico many more times to have to opportunity to welcome you home.

Joice Rivadeneyra
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Wouldn't know where to start didn't have a problem with the hotel at all it had everything. From the spa to dolphins to archery to the bar everything was great and how anyone can determine this is not a 5* is beyond me. I loved every second of being there and without a doubt will return. The weather was unbelievably hot so hot a lot of people were resorting to there rooms the hotel did everything they could putting more staff out to serve drinks offering parasols to those not quick enough in the morning to get one. Our concierge Michael was brilliant friendly, approachable and an all round nice guy. Room was huge and well facilitated I was in 2148 lovely few quiet enough and within 5/10 minutes of everything. The shuttle busses were very useful in the heat and always stopped a tip does help now and again every time we qseen the drivers they stopped to see if we wanted to hop on. If a couple I would recommend the couples romantic spa package I booked this as a surprise for my partner and needless to say it scored me a good few brownie points, full use of the water circuit, use of the saunas and steam rooms, an hour long massage together and a romantic surprise in the room that night all for roughly £80pp. We did the basic package with the dolphins and it was enough half the price of the others and had 45mins for photos getting to know the dolphins and touching, the dolphins are extremely well looked after and seemed very happy. The main pool we used by the Cajun restaurant isn't for people who want peace and quiet all day but is a good place to socialise. The restaurants were hit and miss to be fair brazillian, Japanese and Mediterranean were all fantastic and Miguel from the steak house did everything to make our 1st proper night special. Tips do go a long way but each and everyone of the staff deserve it. If you get bored or not struck on the buffet use the room service although limited choice for AI the food was so much better but be careful of the raccoons when you put your tray out they seem to like mustard. Be careful in playa del carmen the store owners will say they recognise you from your hotel and have served you at some point but really they've just learnt to identify each wristband I almost fell for it myself. The hotel gift shop was very useful and not much different in price from going off the resort. Use Walmart about 300peso in a taxi for snacks and that for your room it's very cheap and we did get a lot of last minute gifts from there. Only problem we did have was with thomson themselves still waiting for a reply to my email 4 weeks on but oh well. Would recommend this hotel to everybody something for all ages. Will return after a bit more of seeing the world. Those planning a wedding there be careful we spoke to some newly weds and they explained how they was getting cheated things like £300 for the brides hair but what do you expect I guess. Didn't get asked once about the premium timeshares we ended up doing our own research on it but wasn't for us right now. The evening shows were not for me but my partner loved them so try them out for yourself

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Andrew E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!