Travelled as a couple for 2 weeks in May this year. Flight was ok from Gatwick on the new Dreamliner, long as expected.
The transfer from Cancun airport put me off coming back to this hotel unfortunately. It is basically at the end of the road and took over 1.5 to get to Grand Sirenis. If you don’t mind long journeys it would be fine.
Check in was painfully slow as they explain the same thing and go over the map to everyone separately instead of 2 or 3 couples at the same time for example. Overall, check in took probably 45mins, also took atleast 15-20 minutes for a drink to arrive at the front desk for everyone.
Room was lovely, ground floor right infront of the lazy river so was pretty central – lively pool on one side and beach to the other side so we was happy with that.
As we stayed for two weeks we had 6 visits to the Al a carte resturants, the worst one for us was the Italian on our first night. Table was for half 8 we arrived 8.20 and they ignored us until half 8, which would never happen in England there wasn’t even a hello, they just kept walking past us. I didn’t understand why they couldn’t just seat us instead of ignoring the whole que starting to form. Also we was first in line yet 2 other tables was served before us for all of their courses, I thought it was first come first served but obviously not.
We didn’t eat at the Mexican or fish restaurant. Our favourite was the Brazillian we was so stuffed we couldn’t move. Japanese was good, the chef put on a little show.
Buffet restaurant breakfast lunch and dinner was standard all inclusive hotel food, always found something to eat. The best night in the buffet was probably the oriental night once a week. We enjoyed the fish/meat counter where it would cooked fresh in front of you although the ques were long some nights.
The waiters in these restaurants should stick to their section and attend to everyone regardless of tips or not, one night we ate our whole meal without a drink as they kept by passing our table. We got one ourselves. The waitress’s at the bars of a night was very good, once the drinks finished they are straight back over asking if they can get you anything else. The cleaners do a good job, we had towel art on our bed every day he was very talented.
We done a bar crawl via Thomson which ended up in Coco Bongos, meant to VIP bla bla bla. We definatly was not! What a disappointment it was absolutely packed we was up on the top and once you are there you can’t move or you won’t get back in atall. That spoilt it to be honest, I couldn’t dance there was constantly people trying to get past, people are even standing on the stairs. I only managed to get one drink all night.
We visited the Dolphins through Thomson which was one of the best experiences ever, rip off though when you get there because not only had we paid 100 pounds each it was 50 GBP for one photo, so make sure you take money if you want more and the video etc.
We was hoping to visit Cancun nightlife a few nights of our trip for something to do as we are only 23 but the cab fare was way too dear as it was 1.5 hours away. If you are looking to be able to go out of a night most nights, this hotel is not for you.
This review sounds negative but we did enjoy our two weeks and did not want to leave, the weather was lovely even though it rains about 20 mins a day it needed it, was so sticky. However, we feel we could have found somewhere else to stay, better value for money and maybe more livelier.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa 5* is an astonishing complex, situated on the Mayan Riviera, just 20 miles from Playa del Carmen, and 1 hour from the airport at Cancun. Is in a class of its own due to its spectacular design. It brings to mind the ancient Mayan buildings; but at the same time, a moder, minimalist style which blends perfectly with the luxurious natural vegetation in the gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel And Spa
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach
- Grand Sirenis Mexico
- Gran Sirenis
- Sirenis Riviera Maya
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa Mexico - Akumal