“1st trip to Mexico” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
United Kingdom
“1st trip to Mexico”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Travelled as a couple for 2 weeks in May this year. Flight was ok from Gatwick on the new Dreamliner, long as expected.
The transfer from Cancun airport put me off coming back to this hotel unfortunately. It is basically at the end of the road and took over 1.5 to get to Grand Sirenis. If you don’t mind long journeys it would be fine.

Check in was painfully slow as they explain the same thing and go over the map to everyone separately instead of 2 or 3 couples at the same time for example. Overall, check in took probably 45mins, also took atleast 15-20 minutes for a drink to arrive at the front desk for everyone.

Room was lovely, ground floor right infront of the lazy river so was pretty central – lively pool on one side and beach to the other side so we was happy with that.

As we stayed for two weeks we had 6 visits to the Al a carte resturants, the worst one for us was the Italian on our first night. Table was for half 8 we arrived 8.20 and they ignored us until half 8, which would never happen in England there wasn’t even a hello, they just kept walking past us. I didn’t understand why they couldn’t just seat us instead of ignoring the whole que starting to form. Also we was first in line yet 2 other tables was served before us for all of their courses, I thought it was first come first served but obviously not.
We didn’t eat at the Mexican or fish restaurant. Our favourite was the Brazillian we was so stuffed we couldn’t move. Japanese was good, the chef put on a little show.

Buffet restaurant breakfast lunch and dinner was standard all inclusive hotel food, always found something to eat. The best night in the buffet was probably the oriental night once a week. We enjoyed the fish/meat counter where it would cooked fresh in front of you although the ques were long some nights.

The waiters in these restaurants should stick to their section and attend to everyone regardless of tips or not, one night we ate our whole meal without a drink as they kept by passing our table. We got one ourselves. The waitress’s at the bars of a night was very good, once the drinks finished they are straight back over asking if they can get you anything else. The cleaners do a good job, we had towel art on our bed every day he was very talented.

We done a bar crawl via Thomson which ended up in Coco Bongos, meant to VIP bla bla bla. We definatly was not! What a disappointment it was absolutely packed we was up on the top and once you are there you can’t move or you won’t get back in atall. That spoilt it to be honest, I couldn’t dance there was constantly people trying to get past, people are even standing on the stairs. I only managed to get one drink all night.

We visited the Dolphins through Thomson which was one of the best experiences ever, rip off though when you get there because not only had we paid 100 pounds each it was 50 GBP for one photo, so make sure you take money if you want more and the video etc.

We was hoping to visit Cancun nightlife a few nights of our trip for something to do as we are only 23 but the cab fare was way too dear as it was 1.5 hours away. If you are looking to be able to go out of a night most nights, this hotel is not for you.

This review sounds negative but we did enjoy our two weeks and did not want to leave, the weather was lovely even though it rains about 20 mins a day it needed it, was so sticky. However, we feel we could have found somewhere else to stay, better value for money and maybe more livelier.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Alice A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,661)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Brantford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

The rooms were larger, food was better and had more variety and bars were more efficient than we expected. We didn't pay much attention to the shows except for going to the Lion King night. It's a lip-sync focused on costumes and dancing but they really do a terrific job. Rooms have a jacuzzi tub and great shower. If the beds and linens were upgraded they would be perfect! The best restaurant was the Brazilian but the Mexican was a close second. Drinks in your room and at the bars, coffees, milkshakes, snacks, the lazy river -- what's not to like?

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Susan R
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We are here on our honeymoon hotels lovely but the bar are good but two of the bartenders stand out as the best . If you come here look for Erik Nuxim and Samuel Tamay you are guaranteed the best service best cocktails and a cracking laugh .

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank owain1980
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hola owain1980,

Thank you for such wonderful comments regarding your honeymoon at our Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

I know that our staff especially Erik and Samuel will be truly motivated by your kind words about your experiences.

It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya maybe to celebrate your first anniversary?

Joice Rivadeneyra
Assistant Manager
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is our 3rd trip to Grand Sirenis - we got VIP status which allowed us 10% off all services and the shop bought there and a bottle of Tequila in the room which we enjoyed on the balcony. This is the only hotel we have ever returned to, mainly because we have small kids. The beach is vast, with wild edges and wildlife (agoutis, tahons, monkeys, turtles, lizards, iguanas, ghekos, racoons, eagles, frigates, pelicans), rock pools, snorkelling and beach waitress service which is a gift for those with small kids.
Mini disco keeps kids happy as does the beach and many pools and lazy river - nice relaxed vibe. No frills plain fun, Mexican style.
More English people here versus other times.
Dolphins are a nice addition and good value/fun.
Staff are great especially Adriann Tun, the happy and helpful and fun waiter. Karen the beach waitress was a joy. Elbis the waiter in the main restaurant was lovely as was Juliana and their Captain Juan Zarate.
It was my son's birthday whilst there and we had birthday cakes and a happy birthday sang at the beach party.
Rooms are a little tired now but we think that there is something special about this place for families - it is a basic 4 star.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor room for late evening sun numbered in the 1800s to be close to the beach
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank 338rachel
HI 338rachel,

I am grateful for your positive review and your loyalty for the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya, I am honored to know that your enthusiasm for our Hotel and service has not changed.

I am happy to know you and your kids enjoyed our the entertainment activities, it is pleasing to note your positive comments, I will be sure to let the team members know that their efforts are appreciated and have not gone unnoticed, specially to Adriann, Karen, Elbis, Juliana, Juan and all your friends that you made at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

I cannot wait to welcome you back for the 4th time to spoil you and make you feel at home again.

Joice Rivadeneyra
Assistant Manager
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We loved the spa, especially the water spa with so many stations to relax and reinvigorate. A special 5+ stars to Leonardo (Lopez?) who took such good care of us at the spa.
We have been to Sirenis 5 or 6 times and obviously love it there. Isolated from other resorts, less "traffic" on the beach and in the water. Some of the best snorkelling right at the resort (compared to many other resorts in the area)

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RGN999
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was the first time anyone in our group had travelled to Mexico and we were definitely not disappointed! We travelled in a group of two families with a 16 year old two 20 year olds and the adults who would be most displeased with their ages being disclosed I could imagine. Before leaving we saw some truly terrible reviews for this hotel and it really made us wonder if we had booked the right place for us. However, if you can bear with me I promise to give you a 100% honest review of this hotel and the services provided.

Airport/Transfers

Although this isn't directly related to the hotel I have seen some horror stories about Cancun airport. We travelled with Thomson and although we were an hour late into Cancun we generally found that getting through customs was pretty efficient considering the volume of people coming through. (Due to the lateness we clashed with about 3 other flights). When we got through however, our cases had already been taken off the baggage rail and were sitting waiting on us just to collect. Unusual but was definitely a welcome sight after an 11 hour flight! The transfer took just under an hour from the airport to the hotel and the coach was comfortable and air conditioned and the Thomson rep who accompanied (Jorge?) was absolutely fantastic. He completely understood how out of it we all were with the time difference and kept the information to the absolutely necessary. Also as the Sirenis is such a big hotel every person on the coach was headed there so there was no stops between.

Arrival

When we arrived at the Sirenis our cases were all unloaded for us and there were waitresses waiting to greet us with cocktails. First impression of the hotel was how big it looked but also how pristine it seemed. There are two sides of the hotel; the Riveira Side and the Mayan Beach side. I read one review where the couple were taken to the wrong reception and had the 'hassle' of being dragged all the way around the resort...the receptions are literally right next door to each other. Must have been terrible to walk 50 feet! We were checked in quickly and then taken via golf buggy to our rooms while being given a quick tour of the resort by the bell boy. It was dark so we didn't see that much to be fair! We arrived at our rooms which were on the Mayan Beach side and in the Akumal block which was right next to pool 3 and the Cajun restaurant. Within 10 minutes our suitcases were brought to us by another bell boy. Overall very efficient and by this point we had no complaints!

Rooms

The rooms are large, spacious and pristine. Perhaps they could do with being updated but this is more the case in some rooms than others as the room I shared with my sister looked a lot fresher than the room my parents were in. It's purely cosmetic though and nothing a bit of paint couldn't solve. The beds were comfortable but I felt that the sheets could maybe do with being replaced. A bit thin for my liking but I understand with the Mexican heat that this is probably on purpose but as I live in Scotland I'm used to being wrapped up as much as possible. The air conditioning works well and there's also a ceiling fan you can use to make the room even cooler if that is what you prefer. The jacuzzi bath takes a while to fill but is worth the wait. The shower is also excellent. This is a very environmentally friendly hotel and towels can be replaced as often as you want but you are encouraged to use them for a couple of days before doing so. The maids cleaned the room every day without fail and made a very good job of it. It was lovely to come in and find a different towel animal every day! We only had one issue with the room in our fortnight stay and that was that when we returned from the pool one day there was a bit of flooding from the jacuzzi on the floor. We called our concierge and it was fixed and mopped up within the hour. Safety deposit boxes are also available within the room for a cost. A lot of people seem to be upset that they had to pay for this service but we have never been to a hotel where this is included in the price so couldn't understand the moaning about this. You can't really put a price on the safety of your belongings can you? We also had no issues with security which we have seen mentioned previously. As for noise it can get a little bit loud in the early hours of the morning when people are returning to their rooms but it only lasts a few seconds and I was only woken once.

Pools/Beach

There are 3 different pools around the resort. Pools 1 and 3 are the pools where you will find the Animacion team and plenty of activities and Pool 2 is the quiet pool. As we were situated at 3 we just stayed there most of the time. We had no problem getting sun loungers even when we came to the pool at 2pm one day. We never wanted loungers in the shade though which I heard were a bit more competitive to get but again that's not a problem we encountered. As with the rest of the hotel the area was immaculate. It had a swim up bar which I must admit had a very strange smell around it. Bearable though if your only purpose is to swim up, get a cocktail and leave. Wouldn't sit there for long though! The beach is nice but very rocky. I cannot stress enough how much of a life saver pool shoes that actually strapped onto our feet were. I definitely do not advise tackling the beach without them as even when you head into the sea it's really rocky and there's plenty of coral about. Believe me you don't want a bit of that stuck in your foot as some of it can cause an allergic reaction. Everyday you are entitled to an hour of non motorised water sports which are great. We took full advantage of the snorkelling as there are turtles live right in the cove of the beach. We even saw a ray one day. You can also kayak or take a pedalo out depending on the current. One comment I would make is that they put the snorkel equipment into a big bucket of 'disinfectant' when you hand it back. I can't say that I was filled with confidence that they were overly clean after use so investing in your own gear from the shop may be advisable. Always plenty of sun loungers available on the beach too which carries a nice breeze.

Food/Drinks

There are two main buffets located near the reception areas and 7 A la Carte restaurants that can be booked through your concierge. The buffet restaurants have a massive selection of food but I could imagine that if you ate in them every night for a fortnight you would get bored pretty quickly. There's a good range of foods with pasta available to be freshly cooked in front of you. Out of the A la Carte restaurants we tried 5, Cajun, Steakhouse, Italian, Japanese and Mexican. The other two are Mediterranean and French. The Japanese was an absolute highlight of our whole holiday. I wasn't keen because I was convinced it would just be sushi etc and I was gonna have to head to the buffet straight after but I couldn't have been more wrong. A chef prepared our rice, vegetables and meat in front of us and gave us a bit of a show. I won't say anything else as I don't want to spoil the experience. The only restaurant we were disappointed with was the Mexican. The food just wasn't great but the head waiter was also ridiculously rude and spent the whole evening pandering to the premium members. This was the only time we felt like they received a better quality of service with us and not being happy with being treated like second class citizens we complained to our concierge who dealt with the matter accordingly. The drinks are great. If you don't like the local drinks the branded drinks are also available just be sure to ask for them. The Miami Vice cocktail is also excellent but not on the menu. You can get drinks virtually anywhere you are in the hotel and they even bring them to you while lying at the pool.

Entertainment

Unfortunately this is where I have to begin a string of complaints. The entertainment team is large due to the size of the hotel but they are honestly the worst bunch I have ever seen in any hotel. They call themselves 'Animacion Super' and you are forced to listen to their rubbish song as they half heartedly dance along to it at least 3 times a day. A more appropriate name would be Animacion Average. They rotate around the pools every few days and the only days we actually had any fun with them were the days that Mario and Jamie came to our pool. They were fantastic and I really want to makes sure that it is clear that NONE of my complaints apply to them. They were a breath of fresh air and actually looked like they enjoyed their jobs. It feels as though when they do their 'entertainment' they do it more for their own joy than the pleasure of the audience. The kids club at night looked bored stiff as a guy in dodgy dungarees ran about the stage without a smile on his face. We were there for a fortnight and we never learnt the names of any of the girls. Shows you how friendly and approachable they all were! The evening shows were also just the same cast singing different songs. Very poor for a five star hotel and we actually started dodging the shows because they were so rubbish. Apart from Animacion Average there is also a disco for over 18s at night. It is a proper nightclub situated miles out onto the outskirts of the hotel to keep the noise down. The golf buggies run there though so it's easy enough to get to. I want to make a special mention to Samuel the bar tender in there who was absolutely excellent and had a shot of tequila waiting for us every night we entered! The music is great and the club is also immaculate. In fact there is a cleaner who mops around you on the dance floor should a drink be spilled. It's also very well air conditioned which is bliss.

Apart from the one negative experience in the Mexican restaurant the service was faultless. We did not travel as premium members and to be honest we didn't really see the difference. Tipping is not a part of the British culture so we did find this strange to start with but even if you don't tip every time you receive a drink you find no change in the service which is great. One aspect of service I was not impressed with was during my visit to the spa. The spa itself was great but Lou-Ann who told me about my luxury manicure told me I would be receiving shellac treatment. When I got there it was OPI which is completely different. I was also not impressed with the girl who performed my manicure, it took an hour and she didn't say a word to me. No hello on arrival and no goodbye when I left. It was extremely awkward. Apart from this the service was outstanding everywhere else in the hotel.

Do not let negative reviews put you off this wonderful hotel! Go and experience it for yourself and I promise you will have the time of your life. Apologies for the long review but I know I preferred to read long ones that were honest before I departed for the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first and second floor are less noisy as the golf buggies drive straight through the gr...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
28 Thank Sm02
Petersburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I had a wonderful experience here probably my best vacation yet. From checking in with Aaranza who maybe the initial paper work very painless and enjoyable; even going the extra inch to make sure no question was unanswered. Then, the amenities towel origami, archery smoothie bar the works! absolutely beautiful. Would have given it 5 but the bugs and some of the place looks worn and a tad bit run down. However, I would and have recommended this place to friends and relatives.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank William S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,819 reviews
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!