“Fun with a little trouble ”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Cute resort, friendly staff, great food, fun activities, what else do you need for a vacation ? That little trouble just an added imprecation to make your vacation perfect!

Two families eight person in our party, we booked together and requested to stay together but on arrival we were told the hotel is full we could either stay in different building or one family has to switch room in mid of vacation, we picked the later, it was a bit of pain that we have to pack and and unpack but we could see that the hotel did the best to accommodate us..

Some names in good memory: Mario and Cory at front desk, Alberto at the lobby bar, Jamie the host and dancer, Nalley at the spa, Arlene the concierge, and some more.. You are all so wonderful ! Thank you!

Don't forget to:
1. Swim with dolphins in the resort
2. Float in lazy river with whole family for fun
3. Visit the coffee shop at least once, great coffee and tea there
4. Skip the Japanese restaurant: food are horrible there, I am sorry! You better off stay with dinner buffet
5 try to snorkel everyday if you can, it's pure beautiful joy

Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank Mymin
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Hola Mymin,

Thank you for contributing with your comments and feedback on the impressions of your recent stay. I am very disappointed to learn that this time we did not meet your expectations at 100 % and would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay.
Regarding your requests, we always do our utmost to satisfy our guest request but we also hope you understand that our resort was completely full when came .Unfortunately during the high season it is not possible for us to comply with so many requests.

On the other hand, I am happy to know you enjoyed our food quality, the lazy river and our coffee shop, it is pleasing to note your positive comments, I will be sure to let the team members know that their efforts are appreciated and have not gone unnoticed, specially to Mario, Cori, Alberto, Jamie, Nalley, Arlene and all your friends that you made at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

Our hope is that every vacation be a memorable and enjoyable one. I sincerely hope that you will return to Mexico many more times to have to opportunity to welcome you home.

Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (14,839)

Reviewed 29 August 2014

I went to the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya on May 2nd, and it was probably my worst trip in Mexico. I've been to couple of other hôtels, but this one really disapointed me.

When we arrived, I previously asked one king size bed. We were there for a wedding, without our kids, and we wanted to have a great time. They were saying that it was overbooked, all they had was 2 double beds...After 30 minutes spent at the front desk, we left, thinking we finally had our king size bed. Nope. When we arrived, it was 2 double beds...and guess what? My friends, the door beside me, had the king size bed. GEEZ! Ok, we were willing to have fun, we exchanged our room, case solved.

In the room: bathroom is not closed. Wall are not untill the roof of the room. So, guess what happen when you take a shower? All the humidity goes to your room. And with the A/C, it's damn cold. Even with low A/C. And i had to throw out many stuff at home, because it was smelling too hard humidity. Watch out if you are feeling for a number 2. No privacy, please turn on the tv before to go! And when you finally sit on the toilet...you can hear your neighbour! Hmm. Also, as it's full of humidity and that it's cold Inside the room, i was horrified to find out there is no cover or comforter on the bed! Nights were cold, trust me! Also, water was not always refilled in the fridge, so we had to run after the maid, who was not understanding what we wanted in 3 languages, including spanish!

Food: it was ok. Have seen worst (hello Cuba!), i've seen better (ex: Grand Bahia principe Coba). At private restaurant, i thought it was strange to get up for apetizers and desserts, only getting service for main plate. Never seen that in other hôtels, specially in 5 stars.

Pools: So, so so dirty!! EWWW! Like, really gross. In the pool to try the diving, i was not able to see further than my husband in front of me! I don't know what kind of people were there that week, but they were party animals at the pool bar, like Spring break or something. I was there just to have fun, like, a regular couple. There was even vomit in the jacuzzi. And the water of the jacuzzi was heading to the main pool, as there was a fall between them. Wonderfull.

Service: I won't lie, they have great service. Don't book restaurants à la carte at the little meeting the day after your arrival. Go meet your concierge of your building. They are the best. Always nice and smiling, loved them. One of my good point. Except: they should stop calling people at 8 am to ask if we want to book a restaurant or if we want to go to the spa. Not everybody is up at that time!

The beach: ok. hard to get in, there was just a little place to get in without scratching your feet. Wavy.

The wedding i went was really nice and fun, it was the moment i loved the most. The private beach is awesome. Nothing bad to say here. The planner is really nice.

The wifi and the safe are expansive too. And the internet connexion is good 1 day on 2. It was hard to Skype with the kids at home.

Sincerly, i will never go back there, and will never recommand it to someone else.

Room Tip: Choose higher floor. We had a really strong rain going on outside, and first floor was flood. It'...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Marie-Chantal P
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We have just returned After reading some reviews that were really negative it put me off the hotel. All I can say is don't let it put you off, it was an amazing holiday all I can say is it's not a modern new build hotel so it does have areas that need work , it was very large but never felt overcrowded , rooms were very clean and large , staff were lovely especially concierges , only negatives were people reserving sunbeds around the pools apart from that would defiantly recommend this hotel worth the money if you want to relax! Coco bongo is a must do along with xplor!!

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank StephLxo

Hola StephLxo,

I am grateful for your positive review published on Trip Advisor, It is really important to us to receive positive feedback as yours, and I am glad to know that we exceeded most of your expectations during your recent stay at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with the rest of the team, we all took your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to improve our services and make sure our entire guest feel welcomed

Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Our experience here was one of our favorites! The resort had lots of places to walk and explore, we were finding new picture worthy moments at every corner. We enjoyed the beach immensely and received outstanding beach drink service from Ledi - she's a gem!

The food and service were excellent (highly recommend the beef tenderloin at the Steakhouse and the steak at the Cajun) and the stand alone coffee and ice cream bars were fantastic. The wait staff in the a la carts (we had the same one at the Steakhouse and the Cajun - he was outstanding and I'm sorry I cannot recall his name). Our room was maintained and stocked throughout our stay. Cleanliness was high and I liked that there were hand sanitizer dispensers at the entrances to the buffets.

The evening entertainment could be ramped up, as there isn't much other than the disco after the theatre and lobby singers wrap for the night, which is quite early. We enjoyed having local vendors in on one evening as well.

We did find the bed incredibly hard (hardest we've encountered yet); it felt more like sleeping on a box spring than a mattress. That and the evidence that our belongings were rifled through on one occassion (fortunately we travel with little of value and keep anything that is of value locked up) are the reasons for a 4 rating rather than 5.

We will definitely revisit this resort and look very forward to it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PEIsland_Gamz
Reviewed 29 August 2014

The grand serenis was a choice of two friends, one flying from Yellow knife with his 8 yr old daughter, one flying from Toronto with my 8 yr old daughter so I thought it was only right that I should join the fun. We all arrived on the same day at 9am, 3:30 & 5pm and we're allocated our rooms quickly enough, only thing for the 9am check in was they couldn't get a room until 2pm so bit of hanging around in the heat, although my daughter just went swimming in her clothes !!

On first impressions the complex is huge, however by the end of day 2 a few short cuts had been found and everything was pretty local. We were in Jaban 2504 & 2508, which were on the ground floor at the back of the complex, a bit further out but suited us to be away from the pools etc. the room was huge, with two doubles for myself and my friend and a sofa bed. Ok the mattresses weren't fantastic but we all slept pretty well. At the end of the day they are slept on almost every night by a wide variety of people so they are going to get worn quicker than your average. The jets in our shower didn't work but we didn't report it because the shower was powerful and hot enough without them. My daughter loved the jets in the bath !! The room was cleaned every day so an excellent standard with lovely towel art. The mini bar was good and refilled every day also. The air conditioning was more than adequate in the rooms and it always felt lovely and chilled.

The pools were amazing, the quiet one which was close enough to the lazy river for the kids to wander off on their own was probably our favourite although we did spend the last couple of days by the steak house pool, I loved the fact you could sit on one of the shallow parts and just watch the world go by. The main pool was a bit too hectic for us but saying this we never found a problem getting a sun lounger at any of the pools or even the beach. The hammocks were a favourite by the sea.

Wasps were a bit of a problem but they seemed much more placid than at home and I only heard of one person being stung, again with all the sugary drinks that are served and sometimes left around by holiday makers it's only to be expected. Cocktail list was extensive and actually tasted like they had alcohol in so that was good, the girls loved the fact they could have the same as the adults but without the alcohol. Service around the bar was excellent and the staff worked extremely hard.

The animation team were great during the day, a special mention to Mario who spent almost two hrs with Evie and Keira teaching them Spanish. Gracias !! The night time was good but did finish really early, that wasn't a problem to us as it was a long and hot day and by 10pm we were ready for bed.

The wildlife was amazing to watch, raccoons, geko's, snakes, frogs. A real jungle feel.

As an independent traveller I can recommend ResortHoppa to get you from the airport to the hotel, it's roughly 1hr 20 mins away but only cost me £8. Certainly value for money.

We did the Xplor trip which wasnt cheap $596 for 3 adults and 2 kids but an amazing experience zip lining above crocodiles and leopards. Tip if you have a waterproof camera you'll definitely use it here, not possible to use phones etc and a USB with all your pics on from the day was another $109.

I'm really struggling for anything negative about the resort, we weren't even bothered about the time share stuff we just politely declined on the first occasion and it was not mentioned again. The only down side was it was nigh on impossible to get into the al la carte restaurants and we only managed the steak house which was excellent and the Mexican which wasnt so, the main guy on the door was obviously having a bad day and every knew it. The buffet food was good, omelettes for breakfast and lots of choices for all.

I'm returning on the 10th December with my boyfriend for an adults only break and really cannot wait.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank curlytops007
Reviewed 29 August 2014

First I should state that we visited this resort back in 2012 and were returnng based on our experience then, which incidently was excellent. Back then i did not realise that my eldest daughter was casing the joint with a view to having her wedding there.

Moving on two years we booked the holiday with Thomson and the wedding directly with the hotel.

The Holiday

The holiday experience was as we expected with us all having a marvellous time. The positives are the rooms are all suites and that means they are huge and being on the top floor (ground, 1st and 2nd floor only) we had a balcony that in our case overlooked some forest that has been retained within the grounds of the hotel. With either twin double beds or a super-queen size bed, a multijet shower and a jacuzzi bath in each room the room is well appointed.

With 3 pools, 2 of which are party pools and 1 a quiet pool there is plenty of room. On the beach there are further umbrellas and numerous loungers if you fancy the sand between your toes. The entertainment is on par with many of its ilke. The food in the buffet restaurant was varied and excellent and the bookable (no cost) restaurants Mexican, Italian, Cajun, Brazilian and Japanese were outstanding with my 82 year old mother-in-law commenting "how much do I owe you for the meals in the special restaurants". Our party had no stomach complaints during our stay and all commented on how much they enjoyed the food offerings.

However, probably the best thing about this hotel is its STAFF they could not do enough to help/serve their guests. The Mayan people seem to always have a smile on their faces and this is reflected in the way the staff go about their business. The fact the majority of the hotel staff are from the immediate vicinity means they really buy into the fact the hotel needs to attract/retain custom if its to thrive.

If i'm to be critical the decor in the rooms is now beginning to look dated that is not to say that what was there was not in a good state of repair. Sadly no free wi-fi and since 2012 you now have to pay for your room safe.

I want to give credit where it is due and i wish to praise the Thomson staff both within the hotel and at the airport. My mother-in-law only stayed for a week whilst the rest of us stayed for a fortnight. She had recently had eye surgery and was not fully recovered. I asked the Thomson staff that she have escorted service to/at Cancun Airport. She could not speak highly enough of everyone involved - well done!!

The Wedding

The wedding, well where do i begin, It has to be at Cancun Airport where it was nearly a disaster before it began; an over zealous official tried to ensure that the bridegroom saw the wedding dress and thought it really funny. Other officials were extremely embarrassed by his attitude so brides beware!!!

The Wedding Co-ordinator, Lillian, was absolutely fabulous making the bride and bridegroom totally comfortable and ensured that their day was everything that THEY wished for. I (the brides father) wanted to do something special and Lillian and the rest of the team were brilliant in making it happen. Thanks to Will (the head of the entertainments team) for everything he and his team did. To sing my song and see my daughters reaction will live in my heart forever. The day went superbly ceremony on the private beach, wedding breakfast in the Brazilian Restaurant, my song in the theatre and then the finale (my daughters idea) the night/early morning at CoCo Bongo's. The Photographer from the hotel was great and the album of photo's really represented a fabulous day.

Finally, fun, memorable, enjoyable, fabulous,and great people.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Nigel R

Hola Nigel R,

In the name of all Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya, receive our most sincere appreciation for your loyalty to our chain.

It is very rewarding to read this kind of reviews, even more to know that you chose our beautiful resort to spend your daughter’s wedding, congratulations! Our main job is to make you have a memorable stay with us and we are very pleased that this was your case!

We will be displaying your comments for all our staff to see and we have passed your praise to those that have been personally mentioned.

Receiving words like yours, it is always the best inspiration for our work. Please let us know when you will be back for your third visit so we can make your next arrival more especial and enjoyable.

I hope to receive you soon at your house in The Mexican Caribbean!

Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Firstly, the positives;
- the service of the staff was ace, particularly the staff who take your order and serve drinks all day long in the scorching sun, by the pools, on the beach, in the theatre and the lobby.
- Restaurants were 'ok' - some more than others. Brazilian and the French were the best for us.
- the rooms are modern and clean, our maid worked very hard and our 5 year old loved her towel art.
- beaches were clean and beautiful- we particularly liked the 'trench' that staff dug to put the washed up seaweed in (I was told that there was a lot brought in from sea each day and unless it was cleared, the beach became clogged) by burying it, it was able to decompose in an environmentally way.
- the weather was fab. I know this is a hotel review and the weather is hardly relevant to the hotel but I think its worth knowing! (From 12/8/14-27/8/14)

The negatives;
I won't go on and on. There were two main bugbears for us.
The first one was the food.
WE ARE NOT FUSSY EATERS! We are well travelled, and will try anything (with the odd exception!) but dear God- Peas and Brussel sprouts for breakfast?!)
The quality of the food in the buffet restaurants was very poor, mashed potato that 'breathed' as you looked at it where a skin had formed and it was being kept hot from underneath?! Pasta that wasn't identifiable, chicken that looked grey, 'baked' potatoes that were sat in an inch of water? As for deserts, they were all generic; slabs of factory made sponge, layered with different coloured creams (according to which cake it was) decorated with either half a grape, a piece of plum, or a blob of more oily cream. It became a bit of a joke between the three of us. We literally ate salad, bread, fish (where it seemed edible), fruit (it was good fruit!) and ice cream.
NOT what I'd expect from a 5* resort. Especially having paid nearly £5k for 3 of us.

Second bugbear was this;
This hotel need to stop with the pressure selling.
We were approached over and over and over, on our first day (staff obviously know you've just arrived) we were asked 4 times in 3 hours to attend a 'special, invitation only breakfast'. During the course of our stay, they varied their tactics and approach to trying to enticing us along. We were asked to a special '50th birthday anniversary party' an 'exclusive breakfast' we were invited to take a look at their 'brand new apartments, and enter a prize draw' we were invited to a 'celebratory lobster dinner' (invitation only of course) and upon booking our al la carte restaurants we were told that although there was an extra charge for the French restaurant, he could waiver that charge IF we attended the special FREE (it's an all inclusive resort?!) breakfast.
I had phone calls in the room while my son was sleeping, we were collared upon going out for dinner, we were asked while sunbathing on the beach, we had letters out under the door, and we were approached in the lobby.
The selling wasn't only from the premier members club reps too, we were collared by spa sales reps, there were (loud) demos on the beach over a microphone system as well as dolphin excursion reps, and other local excursion reps. It got too annoying and I started to feel the need to be very blunt. I go on holiday to get away from sales calls and door to door salesmen.

We've stayed in many hotels in many parts of the world, this was our most expensive holiday by far, and yet it was the worst for food.

Thanks GS but we won't be returning :(