16,819 results
All reviews lazy river mayan beach ice cream parlour health bar el rancho hole in the wall a la carte restaurants fish main buffet frosted glass swim up bar the lion king time share water circuit quiet pool kids club spider monkeys
Reviewed 12 January 2018

We decided that a change of pace was required and booked the Grand Sirenis for a week from January 2-9, 2018 with our two children (14 and 11). Overall we really enjoyed our stay. Some points to share:

- We travelled with Sunwing, their service was really good. Very available for any questions we had from arrival at the airport to the hotel and back again.
- Our check in experience was really quick with no wait. I think we lucked out with the time we checked in (approx 1130am). We also only arrived with two other families. Large check ins might be a problem.
- The resort is huge. I used the first morning to walk the resort.
- We were very happy that although the resort is very lush and surrounded by green space, there were very few bugs to worry about.
- The rooms were a nice size and the housekeeping was excellent. Staff were all very friendly from the gardener you see in the morning to the housekeepers, restaurant staff etc. Can truly say not one bad interaction with staff.
- The food was pretty good. Buffer can get repetitive but there is a large selection. We ate at three speciality restaurants. The Japanese, the Steak and the Brazilian. By far the Japanese was the best. The other two were okay.
- The guacamole is excellent
- The healthy juice bar by the beach is great. We visited daily.
- The ice cream parlour was good but underwhelming. Really only a person scooping up a few different types of ice cream. This area could be so much more.
- The coffee cafe was great. Nice to be able to have a coffee or tea and relax.
- The concierge staff in our building were excellent. Happy to provide service, answer questions and were not pushy re tours or other paid services. They will mention the executive membership opportunity but were not pushy at all (we did not take the tour), Jose and his female co-worker were excellent.
- The pool areas were great and range from quite to a party atmosphere. We were always able to find chairs with the sunshades. If you want to be right by the pool or beach you will need to get a spot early.
- Having pool and beach side drink service was great. We didnt use it often but staff were great.
- beach is great for snorkelling and exploring the rocky coast
- We didn't watch any of the nightly entertainment but heard it was pretty good.
- There is wildlife on the resort (iguanas, raccoon like animals and another rodent about the size of large guinea pigs with skinny legs (as my kids described them). Signs everywhere asking guests not to feed them but well you know how that went. If you are sitting next to a green space the raccoon looking ones will steal your food and sip on your drinks.
- if you need any supplies like toothpaste or are feeling for a bag of chips etc there is a small store just up the road from the front lobby that is very reasonably priced. I think it was called OXXO.

CONS
- not much to do for teens at night. This resort would benefit from a teens club (video games, music etc). There is a young kids areas that seemed well attended and looked like fun for all. Teens ended up taking up the pool tables in the sports lounge.
- beach is rocky/has lots of shells on it. I would recommend water shoes, just makes it easier and less like walking through lego.
- the sports offerings like shooting and archery were very busy and only at certain times. Kids would have to wait long periods to participate.
- floors can be very slippery when wet
- for some reason the lights in the building hallways turn off very early. We were checking out at 645am and suddenly the lights turned off. Mentioned this to the front desk on checkout as they need to adjust the timers
- the nightly entertainment doesn't start until 930pm. Seems kind of late for those with children or those who are just tired from a day in the sun.

Overall a great experience for our first trip to Mexico. Just one other note, this hotel is secluded and I dont think you could walk to anything off the resort. It is about a $25us cab ride to Playa del Carmen. Our Sunwing trip included a shopping excursion to 5th Ave. Amazed at the variety of shopping experiences there. Everything from Old Navy and Nike etc to mom and pop shops selling 5 dollar shirts.

Room tip: We had a room near the front lobby, it was a bit noisy but never bothered us. If you want quiet be prepared to walk.
8  Thank where-me-festivals
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2018

Hola where-me-festivals,

We are pleased to read the positive comments on your recent stay at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities.

Thank you again, and hopefully see you again here at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

Reviewed 12 January 2018

the location of this resort is fantastic. Right on the reef with excellent beaches. The pools are good, and the food is on par with other resorts we have stayed at. Our favourite was the lazy river, it was lots of fun to read about the animals along the way. The rooms however, are another story.
We had room 2139 in an area that has not gone through renovations yet and it is in desperate need of repair. We have stayed at 3 star resorts that had nicer rooms than what we experienced at grand sirens. We were travelling with our 8 year old and he slept on the pull out couch - we ended up putting our luggage under one corner of the bed because the springs holding the mattress up were not there at all so the mattress was tilted to one side. There were broken tiles in the shower, and the shower head fell completely off on day two. The a/c turned on but the fan wasn't pushing the air through the room which wouldn't have been a big deal but the ceiling fan also didn't work. The sliding glass door to the patio had a broken lock, and when we went to plug in our phone the electrical outlet pushed right into the wall.
All of these issues were brought to the attention of hotel staff right away, the only thing that got fixed was the shower head.
The other issue we had was that despite clearly having a booking for 3 people we only had bedding for the one king sized bed. We arrived at about 9 pm and asked for bedding for my son by 9:20.
By 10:30 he was really needing to go to bed and calls to the front desk and to housekeeping did not get us any bedding. We ended up giving him our top sheet and blanket to sleep with and we went without. At midnight someone from housekeeping knocked on the door and gave us two pillows??? and no blankets???
Also - be prepared to spend $50 USD on a safe - this is our 10th time travelling to Mexico and we have NEVER paid for a safe.
Overall we had a good trip, but there is no way I would ever stay here again. There are much nicer resorts around for the same or even less price.

Room tip: pay for the room upgrade
Date of stay: November 2017
6  Thank trace85

Hola trace85,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us. It is unfortunate to hear about your negative experience in our resort.

We would like to make a heartfelt apology that your stay was not up to your expectations, we will take every action to improve the service that you felt was lacking on our part, in order for this not to happen to you or any other guest in the future.

Please be assured that we have shared your feedback with the rest of the team, we all took your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to improve our services and make sure our entire guest feel welcomed; so we invite you to come back soon, we are very confident that it will be a better experience.

Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

I Visited for a week last year at the end of may/begining of June with my partner and had the most amazing holiday!! The hotel staff were all so friendly, they really couldn't do enough for you! The food was brilliant, really enjoyed the beach BBQ!! There are 2 buffets on site which were great, I am a really fussy eater and always found something I liked as there is so much variety. The food was fresh and hot and you could always see it being cooked behind the counter. There are also many a la carte resturants, we got the choice of going to 3 while we were there at no extra cost which I thought was very generous, we booked these through the concierge desk who were very helpful in booking us in when we wanted. On site is also a coffee shop, ice cream bar, swim up bars and a health bar so there really is something for everyone.The cocktails were the best I have ever had! There are both alcoholic and non alcoholic options, perfect for all the family and chilling on the beach!! We never had to get our own drinks on the beach either which meant we could sit back and just relax! The room service was great, very speedy! There is a fair bit of walking as it is a big site but a small price to pay for how spacious the complex is, there are also golf buggies driving around at all times who will help you get around, you can even ask your concierge to call one to your room if need be, I recommend this if you are booking the spa. We stayed at the hotel the entire week and didn't feel the need to leave, so perfect if you don't want to spend any extra money! We never queued for anything and never thought anywhere was overcrowded or slightly busy even though most rooms were full. When we showed people pictures they even said it looked like we had the place to ourselves! In each building they have a concierge desk which I think is a great addition to the place as if you want advice or have any issues there is always someone close by to speak to meaning you don't have to waste you time walking to the main reception. I have seen a few people complaining about hearing outside noise while in their rooms, we never had a issue with this and we were on the ground floor right next to the concierge desk! I am also a very light sleeper so would've realised had this been a problem. The rooms are lovely, so big and have a jacuzzi bath! I'm not sure if all rooms are the same but ours had a opening (window) in the wall between our room and the bathroom so you could see through. However there are frosted doors in place infront of the toilet and shower to help protect your privacy but if it's still a issue you can easily work around it. We spent most our time on the beach, there was never any issues getting a sunbed, the weather was great and the sand and sea was lovely. We could even see the fish as the water was so clear, great opportunity to do some snorkeling! Before we went I saw people saying it could be quite rocky standing in the sea so we brought water shoes with us. We didn't really use them as you can easily avoid it by standing in other areas, but they were useful so if you already have some I would bring them along with you.There are also many pools if you rather, we had a great time on the lazy river! I would also highly recommend going to the spa during your stay, it does cost but not too much, we had 2 hours using the facilities and a full body massage! We chose to have 1 hour then the massage and then another hour which I think worked nicely, The first hour we even had the place to ourselves which was lovely! After the spa you can sit and eat lunch there and watch the dolphins in the dolphin arena for no extra cost. So worth the money! While staying you will realise that certain people are 'Gold Members' which intitles them to extras, I think these are people who have time shares there but I may be wrong. I didnt see many advantages of it, I realised there is a private place on the beach for Gold members. It's never too busy to get a good seat though so it will never effect you. There was also certain golf buggies that were only for gold members but that's not really a issue when there were so many others. I think there's also a exclusive Gold lounge too but theres so many other places to go in the hotel so that never bothered us either. Its also worth being aware that they might ask you to go to a time share meeting. They didnt ask us as we are only in our early twenties, but I have heard they can be quite pushy and time consuming so definely avoid unless you're interested. All in all I would definitely recommend to all ages, what ever the occasion. It will always be a special holiday I remember forever and I definitely hope to return in the future.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
10  Thank Louise O
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Hola Louise O,

Many thanks for your excellent review and for having chosen Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya for your vacation.

We are pleased that you loved it here; we will share your positive comments with our staff it encourages them to continue working hard.

The idea of Sirenis Premium Travelers is just to offer another option for our customers, with different inclusions.

We look forward to welcome you back for your next visit at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed 11 January 2018

Upon check-in we were given only one key and no code to the lock box. (some people had to pay for the lock box; luckily we didn't). We were also asked to pay a $10 environmental fee that we weren't told about from our travel agent. Others at the resort are having this waived however we already had paid when found this out. The room that our travel agent specified to the resort was totally inappropriate for a family. We got the room with the "mayan hole" where there is basically no wall between the bathroom and the rest of the room. No privacy whatsoever. I asked to have my room switched but they could not accommodate us.

At night this resort is very noisy and we were in a building that was quite far away from the entertainment; Naab building. The design of the building amplifies everyone's voices to be extremely loud. It is all open concept with hardly any outside walls. The cleaning staff were extremely noisy outside of our room as well as drunk guests coming in at all hours. The beach party was the night we arrived and my whole family didn't get any sleep after a long trip! The party was right outside our building.

Some of the staff can be very rude. I think with a large resort this must be hard to manage to avoid misunderstandings and staff taking it upon themselves to do things their own way and when you speak to another they have another way yet again. No consistency.

The evening entertainment in the main show area was definitely sub par compared to other resorts. The Sky Bar was great and had good entertainment.

I did not appreciate the elitist class levels between regular guests and executive/preferred members. We see this enough in society and it seems like another cash grab.

Thought it odd to have to give ID for snorkel or water activities. Had to go all the way across resort to get ID when we learned this. Perhaps an orientation package in the rooms about these types of things would go a long way!

No free Wi-Fi in resort. We got 1 hr per day for one device per person that was all. We didn't mind however this might not work for some who need to stay connected.

Pluses: the resort is very clean, gardens are kept beautifully, the concierge was wonderful (being asked to go to the "celebration" time share event 5 times+ however got a bit annoying), we got a lot of a la carte restaurant experiences which were all fantastic - Brazilian and Japanese were the best by far. My family thoroughly enjoyed the lazy river. The spa was awesome and had a very comparable therapeutic massage as I would at home.

Room tip: Ask for a newly renovated room; however you may not get it!
6  Thank Michelle D

Hola Michelle D,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.

I am very disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations at 100% and would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

But on the other side I am happy that you enjoyed our Sky Bar, the Brazilian and Japanese restaurants and the Spa.

Be assured that we will keep on working to improve our services and we hope that you will allow us another chance to restore all your confidence in Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya, so if you decide to visit us again, do not hesitate to contact us before, for sure the next experience will be totally incredible.

Reviewed 11 January 2018

This was our first trip to the Grand Sirenis. We have been to 8 other all inclusives and this was our least favorite.
We got dropped off and were checking in when the receptionist told us we were on the wrong side. We asked what she meant and she said that the Riviera side is more for Canadians and Europeans while the Maya side is for the Americans. So that was kind of strange. She ended up checking us in on that side anyway, but it was a strange thing to say. Some of the rooms got free Wifi, while ours did not. A pet peeve of mine that there is still a charge for some for Wifi!
The location is nice and the beach area is nice for snorkeling. However, there is really not a beach line so you can't take long walks along the beach like other resorts. It is too rocky.
The pools were nice, but the water is pretty cold.
The service at the pools was not great. They only had 1-2 waiters taking drink orders around the pool and you were lucky if they came to you. I tipped one gal and she actually counted the money there, which was strange.
The bartenders at the pool were good and did take care of you if you were sitting there.
The food was not great. We never expect awesome food at the all inclusives, but this was the worst we have had. They definitely need more fresh fruit.
We tried to get into the Japanese restaurant for dinner, but they couldn't fit 4 people in, even with 4 days notice! They have some sort of Members club at this resort and they appear to get the preferential treatment. We ended up at the mediterranean restaurant which was decent.
The animation crew was fine. Diego does a good job of trying to get people involved and has a lot of energy!
We never did get the welcome gift we were promised. We had also requested adjoining rooms but were told they did not have any. I'm now seeing reviews that mention they had them. The checkout procedure took longer than it should have.
Just FYI there are tons of kids at this resort. So for any of the games volleyball, ping pong etc. it was all kids! You could not get a competitive game going.
The bar at the beach is terrible. The service is so slow. They do not even attempt to look like they are trying to go fast, even with the incredible long lines.
The rooms are clean, but need to be updated.
Overall it is a nice resort, but would not consider it a 5 star based on the customer service.

5  Thank colofamily

Hola colofamily,

Thank you for taking the time to express your impressions and giving us the opportunity to know which services and facilities we can improve.

Though most of our guests really enjoy our culinary options, we understand that sometimes is difficult to cover all our clients palates, so please be assure, that your valued observations have been commented with our executive chef and your experience challenge us to continue with our creative options, in order to satisfy the most demanding of our client’s palates.

To be honest we are so sorry and so surprised at the same time by most of your comments and especially to know that the service provided by our attentive staff was not the adequate to complete your requirements. Most of our guests find the service at the resort warm, polite and most of all, efficient.

Nevertheless, be assure that we will be working in your suggestions to avoid inconveniences for the future travelers and to ensure the satisfaction from our guest.

We sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate how wonderful a stay at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya can truly be.