“Great resort.”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Calgary, Canada
“Great resort.”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I'd like to start off by saying that Grad Sirenis is a nice resort with a good value for the money.
The grounds are kept immaculate. You will see a lot of racoons, iguanas, birds etc.

To all cat lovers and people with a kind heart: when you get a chance please please feed the 2 cats that live on the property. These cats are male and female, white in colour with red spots. They are very friendly and affectionate... and hungry.
You can find them at the back of the Bayou restaurant, which near the main pool (where they serve breakfast and lunch). The female cat was pregnant. She was very gentle.

Appreciate your help! Wishing great time in Mexico.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Voyager403

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Polish first
cardiff
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Travelled 21 May - 1 June 2014 as a family with two kids aged 14 and 11

I have used Trip Advisor for years and never written a review but felt I had to after this great trip, having read so many negative reviews that spoiled the anticipation of our holiday. All I can say is if you are planning to go to this resort - look forward to it as I'm sure you will have a great holiday.

The room was excellent - we emailed ahead and asked for a quiet room on 3rd floor near the beach and pool. That is exactly what we got - 2951 in NAAB, and it was perfect. It was cleaned beautifully every day by Sonya, with 3l bottled water, fresh towels and linen whenever required. The beds were very comfortable, and the air conditioning very efficient. The screen between the bedroom and bathroom is totally obscure so there are no privacy issues to worry about.

The food was also excellent, and none of us were ill. The Brazillian and the Japanese were fantastic - you must book these as soon as you arrive. The buffet was also very good - there is so much choice, I defy anyone not to find something. One of my daughters is quite fussy, but there is always pasta cooked to order as a back up. The staff in the buffet are amazing, constantly refilling water and getting anything you need - Arnolfo was our favourite.

The concierge in our block was Merlin (with Izaac covering on his days off), They were both fantastic, and organised all our restaurant bookings with ease. They also both took time to recommend local places to visit and the cheapest ways of getting there. We took their advice and had a few great days out. They both asked how things were going whenever they saw us and seemed to genuinely care that we had a good time. I was very wary initially as I had read so many reviews about pressure by the Concierge to join the timeshare, but please don't be wary. The information is there if you want it but there is no pressure to go. I made it clear to one of their colleagues that it was not for us and it was not pushed further.

The coffee shop is also great. Aurelia is wonderful, and works so hard - her Ice Mochacino is a must have.

The pools, lazy river, beach and beach bar b que were all great, with plenty of staff constantly cleaning up and serving drinks. All the Mexican staff we came across were exceptionally friendly, helpful and happy, more so than in other Caribbean destinations we have visited. They work very hard and deserve any tips people give.

One criticism, is the lack of organised activities for teens. There was a kids club catering for small children and plenty of '20 something' entertainment but not enough for teens - daily beach volleyball, pool games etc would have been good.

The sea and beach were great - beach shoes are useful but not essential. You must be careful where you enter the water as there are some rocky patches but once in the sand is lovely. We saw turtles form the beach and in the water everyday - I can't imagine there are many places in the world where you can say that.

Trips - it is worth a trip to Akumal if you want to see turtles in calmer water. The beach is beautiful, has a fantastic beach bar/restaurant, and the snorkelling perfect for turtles and rays. We took a taxi both ways - M$200 each way (approx £10). No need to pay for a guide or anything else, just take snorkels and swim out. We hired a snorkel vest on the beach for our youngest to take the pressure off the swimming.

Also took the colectivo to the ruins at Tulum - brilliant and an amazing beach - take swim things - not to be missed.
My husband did the trip to Chichen Itza with Thomson, he said it was really excellent and good value. Martin, the guide was extremely informative and very entertaining.

I visited the spa for a taster session of the hydrotherapy pools - it was marvellous.

I'm not comfortable with the Dolphinarium, as it seems way to small.

Weather was perfect - very hot, up to 35 quite often, and we were lucky with no rain until our last day. This was the only downside to the holiday. The external marble areas of the hotel get very dangerous during the rain, and despite being careful, I did have a nasty fall and suffered quite a serious injury. The hotel need to look at this situation and add rubber matting at these times, simply mopping it is not enough.

Criticisms:
segregation of Premier Members areas/shuttles made us feel like 2nd class visitors.
had hotel beach towels go missing twice and it was a nightmare to get a replacement - not sure this is really necessary as surely no-one would steal them.
cost of safe in room - £30 for 11 days - too much

I believe that some of the reviews say more about the visitors than about the hotel. If you treat the staff with respect, you will experience the excellent service we did. We haven't met friendlier people anywhere else in twenty years of holidays, and feel it is very sad that accusations are made on-line directed at individuals with no right to respond.

Enjoy

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
23 Thank celestecardiff
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

ATTENTION, PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THE STAFF HERE ROBBED US!!!!!!!!!!!!!What started off as an exciting holiday, went South very quickly! Got there on June 1 and it was lovely, clean room and an expansive buffet, what more could a family ask for? Let me tell you, first, our beds were incredibly uncomfortable! Springs stuck out in both beds in our room, so much so that at several points during each night, all 4 of us were awake only to relay to each other how crappy the mattresses were! Then, there was a strange creaking/squeaking sound that seemingly came from the room next door that chirped non-stop every night so we all slept wearing ear plugs. Next day at the buffet, we thought we would start the day with a great breakfast however, the food was horrid!!! the eggs were runny, fruit was wilting and the veggies had clearly not been washed, still had dirt and bugs on them! None of the other meals were any good either, at any point in the day! in the evenings they put out cheese and it was always sweating and looked like it had been left out for days on end. All the juices tasted like tang drink mix- not anything that even resembled real juice! But here's why I'm REAAAALLLLLYYYYY mad! Our last day started great, went to the pool and beach with the kids , came back to the room to get ready for another "delightful" meal when I went into our LOCKED safe to retrieve our wedding rings and they were, along with ALL of our money, GONE!!! My husband is diligent about securing our belongings, he had locked the safe and gave the door 3 swift tugs to ensure it was indeed locked yet they were able to open it anyway. They stole all of our cash, my heirloom wedding band (that my grandfather had given my grandmother 60 years ago, and he has since passed away) as well as my custom made engagement ring which was a one of a kind! After filing our report with "security", we went back to the room and my husband was able to determine that with the help of any tool with a handle :a knife or a screw driver, he was able to jimmy it open with great ease. We had left our ipad and iphones out and they were untouched. This was an inside job and a deliberate one. These people knew what to take and knew which items could be easily smuggled off of the hotel property! The hotel management was of no help either! The manager basically just told us that we had no proof and there was nothing he could nor would even attempt to do for us! I WOULD NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
24 Thank melanie b
Grandrivieramaya, Gerente at Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hello melanie b,

Thank you for sharing your comment with us. Firstly I would like to show you my sorrow about the setback undergone during your holidays. I perfectly understand the annoyance you reflect due to the bad experienced occurred in our facilities.

I would like to let you know we have reports and these differ from the information you post on this community which I will not mention in order to protect your privacy. As you already know I have contacted you in private for such reason.

I want to let you know that Grand Sirenis works during good and bad times with its protocols and guidelines to guarantee the enjoyment, safety, security and well-being of our guests and we recommend following them as they are. Obviously we can never oblige or influence in your power of decision if it is different from what is stipulated for this and any other case.

I still encourage you to contact us should you need any help to take the case further.

Jorge Viñuela
Assistant Manager
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My fiancé and I enjoyed our 8 day stay in June. We booked via RCI, so I'm not sure how this compares with standard booking. When we booked, there was a 1/2 off AI fees and some free spa services. We were greeted at the VIP desk with champagne and a speedy check-in. Our safe was complimentary. The rooms are roomy and very clean. The air works pretty well and the beds are relatively comfortable. Although we were assigned a "personal concierge" he really didn't do anything extra for us. Their main job, I think, is to try and sell you vacation options. He did set up our restaurant reservations, and if you aren't aware, men are required to wear long pants. We had to buy a pair in the gift shop! Some reviews speak to "special treatment" for VIP members, not necessarily true. We tipped regularly, but didn't notice any change in the service. Like with any place, sometimes you get better service than others. All the staff is super friendly, and the ENTIRE resort is very clean. The food is decent, the a la carts are the same types of food, just a little bit more dressed up. The resort is large, but the main lobby and restaurants are pretty centrally located. People who feel like they had a trek, probably just got lost in the roundabouts, and took the long way around. About the only thing we were a little disappointed about was the beach. We like the idea of a vast beach that extends for miles, where you can get in a nice long morning run. Not the case here. Its more of a cove, or coral shoreline. There are limited places you can get to because its so rocky. There was a red flag the entire week we were there, so we couldn't get snorkel gear. The water was murky, but with goggles you could still see plenty of fish. The hydrotherapy was nice, but only if its free. We spent 2 hours in the pools and saunas, skipped out on the free massage. All in all, its a nice place, with friendly staff, that we would probably visit again.

Room Tip: There was a pretty significant echo outside the rooms, I would suggest to try for the 3rd floor at t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa V
Grandrivieramaya, Gerente at Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Hello Melissa V

Thank you for the time spent on writing your comments about your experience with us. What else can I add, you said it all! I am really happy you had enjoyed as much as I have read.

I am very glad you liked are rooms and that you enjoyed the green areas of the resort.

Just to help you with your comment, allow me to say the concierges’ job is to offer information and customer service according to your needs, they help, as you perfectly said; getting oriented the first days or making restaurant reservations. Besides, for those who want to acquire a supplement to their holidays or just get informed of how it works they do give information about different options of vacation.

Again, thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts with us and the rest of the travellers. The Grand Sirenis Management sends you warm greetings and hopes to see you again soon.

Jorge Viñuela
Assistant Manager
ferrari9997
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 10 days in June, on arrival checked in efficent then was told we had to pay, yes pay at a 5 star hotel for the safe, well if anything was missing it would be on my head!!! Then the WiFi is expensive too, if you buy a week it's about £25 and slow, also you can only use it on one device.so it soon ads up when most familys has one or more devices !!!!
The lobbys are like airport terminals, you wouldn't even know you was in Mexico.
All the staff are really nice and happy all the time, and the waiter / waitress service around all areas is excellent.it's a lovely beach with some coral/Rocky parts but that's nature, a lot less sea weed than my previous expierences in Mexico.lovely wildlife everywhere including monkeys between blocks 17/18 . The rooms are big but a major privacy issue between bedroom and bathroom, just a big gap so you can see all.toilet and shower have frosted doors though . the concierge and some staff will try and blag you into timeshare, they give you a free bags of goodies tell you your watch/earings are gorgeous then offer you a free breakfast , yes that's right a free breakfast at an all inclusive and say they want to show you the lovely sea view block, tell them no instantly unless you've got money you don't want.all the toilets are fresh and clean except the beach areas which are disgusting.buffet food is good with plenty of choice and lots of supply.the a la carte restaurants are deffinatly not, the Italian is quite good then Japanese, the rest ain't much good, and all have a salad bar for starters.if you are going with someone with walking problems or has a wheelchair everywhere is flat and accessible.there are also golf buggies that take you everywhere.the entertainment is good and plenty of day stuff too.there are a lot of safety issues around as well.broken glasses , railings missing rubbish all through the jungle areas .they need someone on a daily walk checking all areas, look at one of my pictures of the railings, if a child fell down the gap or an adult they would die or be critical.hotel was told on two occasions and did nothing.if it's you're first time in Mexico you will love it, if you have been to decent Mexican hotels before it will be stardard.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank ferrari9997
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband & I spent 2 weeks here in May 2014.
Hotel good and kept clean - rooms very spacious, lovely bathroom with jaccuzi bath great shower, effective air conditioning plus ceiling fan too.
Hotel quite large and spread out - quite a bit of walking to get from area to area.
Cocktails good - great choice and excellent service in both lobbies, poolside and even the beach.
Food extensive choice in the buffet. Good choice of restaurants (allowed 3 per week) where food was of reasonably good quality.
Entertainment was a bit noisy in around the pool area (although there was also a smaller quieter available) - and a lovely drift around in the lazy river. Evening shows were pretty good, especially the Lion King show.
NO free Wi-fi, had to purchase Wi-fi which had a pretty poor reception.
We were a little dissapointed in the beach, which was fairly small and fairly rocky (with a thin top layer of sand). Plenty of sunbeds, but not enough umbrellas or shade for the hot sun.
Despite this we had a great holiday here and spent the majority of our time chilling out on the beach.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Janet-Charles
Reviewed 6 June 2014

great holiday, tequila volleyball everyday sun, beach all round awesome got abit too drunk a couple of times but met some fantastic people here they make it easy for everyone to get along with the games they do and it is by far the biggest hotel ive ever been too. would love to go back

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family