“lovely hotel and amazing holiday!!!”

Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Camborne, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel and amazing holiday!!!”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The hotel was great, staff are so friendly and welcoming. Lovely private beach to snorkel and we even saw a turtle. Food was great at the buffet for breakfast and evening meal, all fresh and so much to choose from only the coffee was very bad which was a shame. Some of the towels was stained which didnt look good. Hotel in general was spotless. :-)

6 Thank Laura C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Polish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Ok I hate to do this but as before this is the truth and nothing but!!
Second visit to this Hotel we stayed for 2 weeks from June 5th - June 20th and we took friends this time because it was so good last time but I got to say that it has slipped a bit and it's not really worthy of its 5 stars anymore, truth is it's a 4.
Don't get me wrong the place is still great and they do a really good job on the whole but the hotel need to improve on a few things and Thomson definitely need to take some responsibility.
Last year the place was a bit more exclusive and I think they paid more attention to all the little things which made it worthy of it's 5 stars.

Thomson didn't do it half as good as Thomas Cook did it which really surprised me and their local Rep Antonio basically bordered on rude most of the time but the other 2 Jasmine and ?? sorry can't remember were good. Try telling people the truth about trips, for instance there are turtles a plenty to see snorkelling at the resort no need to buy trips to swim with turtles. Tell people about the Collectivo and how to use it and how they can save a fortune doing these things themselves instead of selling/buying trips and getting taxis, customers will respect you more and return because of the service they get from the Reps. Thomas Cook get reps in from the trips like a Fat Cat rep came and talked about the trip there was none of this from Thomson.

The Big Fat Cat trip is the best trip bar none out there, Honestly I cannot big it up enough get on it if you ever get the chance. We did again this year and again it was amazing, Thank you Oscar you are the best. Try to get the afternoon adults only trips it's a blast but be warned, Thomson only offer Wednesday afternoons and they sell fast either book before you go or book direct with Fat Cat for more days options Thomson let me down here big time.

Ok shout outs to Hotel staff: Consierge - Merary, Rubens & Johnathan Block 20 were really good, better than last year. At the bars - Diego, Franklin, Leo all legends last year and all legends this year thanks to you all, and they had some new faces helping them that deserve a shout out too Emmanuel & Dariel you're doing well keep learning from those other 3 and you won't go far wrong.
Leydi still waiting at the pool and still doing a great job but you are at the wrong pool girl get back up to pool number 1. Aurielia and Janeth at the Coffee shop 1st class and smiling all the time. Felippa Mex room cleaner thank you, you were great.

Things to improve on time - Food at the buffet restaurant is pretty bad I have to say repetitive and boring and a definite drop on last year, the service is pretty bad as well.
Steak house is just bad, don't expect a good thick steak they just don't do one.
Cajun OK not bad, Crab cake is lovely.
Japanese is a good show but food just OK, starters are good.
Italian is bad the only course that was right was the starter we got ourselves from the salad bar. Brazilian is still fantastic and the best by a long long way, more food than you can handle just needs to come round a little quicker.
The mattresses in the rooms are straight up uncomfortable, time to change them.
They have changed the towel policy - 1 card 1 towel this year, no cards just take towels last year OK I get it no big deal but better last year.
You need more tables and chairs in the lobby bars this place is getting busy these days.
The place is in need of a bit of repair here and there, nothing major it's a lovely place but simple things like the basketball court needs sweeping off and the baskets need rehanging straight, the gym equipment is old and rusting through sweat, Sunbeds collapsing & the toilets by the medical centre are neglected and dirty.
I got injured while there through not fault but my own playing basketball but when I tried to get on a shuttle anywhere I just got ignored even though it was clear I had major trouble walking they wouldn't stop. And the life guard/Medic didn't have a clue what to do either which leads me to the biggest point of all.
In the first week there a large man collapsed and had a massive heart attack on the beach.
The staff were useless and extremely slow to react, they were giving CPR on the beach for at least 15 mins before the onsite ambulance even got to the scene, they didn't clear people away or make any space for them to get him off the beach, I'm afraid to say he was already gone by this point and I can only hope for him that it was instant and painless because the staff were lost with how to handle the situation or help the man.

My deepest sympathy goes out to his family.

Afterwards there was not another mention of it by anyone Hotel or Thomson, it left us concerned with any emergency treatment we would receive if anything would have happened to us whilst there.......

So there you have it, that is my review of The Grand Sirenis now a year on from our last visit.
Would we go back again? To Mexico yes, to that resort I don't think so, not without improvement guaranteed.
Would we recommend it to anyone? Not if you are looking for truly 5 Stars. Not anymore.
Now I start my search for a new holiday favourite.

Hope this helps, as I said it's the truth and nothing but. I'm not moaning I believe you are responsible for making your own holidays great and we had a really good holiday there but the truth is that it has slipped a bit.

18 Thank The_barleymo
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The great thing about this resort is the Snorkeling on the beach. Go to the North beach and enter there. We brought are own equipment which was a good move. I was told by others on the beach the wait to get the free snorkeling gear was over an hour and the hotel was not full. They do not give you fins we brought are own. Nice coral in the bay, sponges, turtles, rays and eels. We went everyday. Several days water was rough but if your a good swimmer it was ok.
5 Adults on trip. 3 did dolphin encounter right on grounds this was great to. All had a great time. Spa was very nice wife and I did it.
Good price for dolphin encounter.
The bad was the Italian restaurant. My son and son-in-law ate the mussels and both got very sick that night 5 minutes apart from each other. They both had the mussels. The rest did not they got sick we did not. You be the judge.
Rooms big and clean. Pillows flat.
Secret to good service is building Concierge call them for anything you want. They will get it done. You want mini-bar restocked call them, Extra pillow, more bottle water.
I will say a lot of choices on buffet restaurants. Main buffet in morning always had smoked salmon which is nice. Had grouper for lunch most days.
Watch out in town. People will come up to you and say they served you last night to get you in store, common trick. They look at your wrist bracelet.
Over all we enjoyed it very much but it is very hot. They need to air condition restaurants more at night. They try to go cheap on the air at restaurants.

Room Tip: Building 18 or 19 best
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank TomOrlandoFL
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Gran sirenis hotel was quite simply the most amazing hotel I have ever been to. The grounds are immaculate, the food well above par and the staff were great too. A Big shout out to Max and Martin in the mayan beach buffet section they made us feel so welcome and even enjoyed a spot of football with my son which he loved. The beach is beautiful, full of fish, ray's and during our two week stay a group of turtles visited the far left side of the beach everyday which was truly an amazing experience for both me my wife and son. All in all it was the perfect holiday..
Sturgess family 2014

Room Tip: All rooms are great all noise from pool areas finish by 5pm the only noise you can hear comes from t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Peter S
Grandrivieramaya, Gerente at Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hola Sturgess family,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences with future travelers, we enjoyed reading your feedback and we are happy you had a great vacation.

I am happy that you’ve enjoyed all the details we take pride in offering our guests. Gladly I shared your lovely remarks to our team members, especially to Max and Martin who were pleased to be mentioned on Trip Advisor.

We look forward to welcoming you home again soon and hope you will not hesitate to spend another wonderful vacation in Grand Sirenis Hotels,

Kind Regards from Grand Sirenis Staff,

Jorge Viñuela
Assistant Manager
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

have just returned on the 18th june from our holiday i was worried by the comments on trip advisor but all i can say is these people need something to and moan about i have been to mexico four times and this hotel was the cleanest of all our room was massive with a king size bed which we needed walkie talkies to speak to each other we were in block 12 which was a two min walk to lobby and pools we book in the mayan side but were put in rivera side which was much better close to everything plus all the young emericans went to the pool at that side next to the ice cream bar which i would have hated we went to the beach nearly everyday but the quiet pool was lovely and really big and quiet the food was fab as well and loads to choose from i dont care what anyone says but it dont matter where you go you always get sick of the food on the second week the entertainment did a fantastic job as did the waitressess i want to give a mention to my little sweetheart laura who served us in the tequila bar everynight the compex was quite big but you found short cuts to most places we were lucky because we were close to everything . we had a few spots of rain which lasted seconds but had two weeks of fab weather but as i said before you go on holiday to relax and enjoy the sun as long as my room is clean and the food ok you make your own holiday so ignore the stupid comments and enjoy

Room Tip: the best blocks close to everything on the quiet side are 10 11 12 we were in block 12 heard no noi...
12 Thank Lorraine T
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The whole experience was excellent. Nothing negative to say about anything.we stayed there for a week from june 6th to june 13 th 2014. We were in building 25 hundreds. The room was excellent. I think any of the buildings are pretty good, with the buildings 25 hundreds and up closest to the ocean. Special thanks to Merary, JD at the members area, Marlene, fabian and Alan.Best of luck to them for their future plans. Would definitely come back in the future. Check out the painting person by the theatre who comes there when there is a bazaar and who paints on tiles with his fingers - pretty talented. The home made lunch during the Ek balam trip which we got at the cenote was truly excellent. Can still taste it in my mouth. The food at the buffet restaurant [ resort ] was ok but not excellent. The tour guide speedy [ omar ] for the tulum trip was excellent - very knowledgeable. A few constructive suggestions are as follows:
1. We took a half day trip to tulum and a full day trip to Ek balam / Cenote maya. We booked with the air transat representative at the hotel. When i went on line to check the prices with the same tour operators for the same trips i found that they were considerably cheaper [ about 40 -50 % cheaper ]. would like to find out whats going on with that. why is it so?.
2. Please aircondition the A la carte restaurants. If they are air conditioned it does not work very well. Liked the japanese and brazilian restaurants . A special mention that although my wife is vegetarian the staff were able to cook up some vegetarian for her despite the restaurants being mostly meat etc.Thanks for that.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room up on the 2 nd or 3 rd floor if possible so you are away from the noise of peop...
4 Thank jessefromtoronto
Leeds
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Lovely grounds, lots of facilities. Lovely (if a little crowded) beach and although a couple of pools weren't to our taste, we found the one near the beach was perfect.

The rooms were nice enough and well equipped.

My main gripe though is the food. The food was woeful overall. I know that the taste of food is subjective but myself and my Fiancée are struggling to see how anyone rates it! I'll give them their due, the freshly made pizzas were nice in the buffet. However everything else was of poor quality, lacked taste and quite often the ability to recognise what it was you were eating. This is a buffet though, what was I really expecting. The A La Cartes would save the day...

Mediterranean - No feeling of being special, collect your own starters and desserts. A common theme. Bland, tasteless slop! The restaurant was just a room.

The Steakhouse - Worst steak I've ever eaten. Think I'm still chewing a bit of it now actually.

Japanese - Pretty good. Not amazing but decent food, cooked in front of you. Nice to have a bit of atmosphere and it felt like an occasion.

Brazilian - We have a restaurant here in Leeds called Fazenda. Similar theme. You sit there and they bring lots of meat to you. This place was so poor, they'd bring a skewer round the restaurant and cut a tiny bit of sausage or steak off for you. I was left with a plate with one fork's worth of sausage until ten minutes later when they would bring the next scrap of meat over. Oh and the chicken was inedible.

Cajun - You know those tinned hot dogs you get in brine? Cut those up and put them on some rice. No taste, felt like it had been microwaved (hotspots).

The beach bar was alright for a quick snack but the ingredients are of poor quality. Tastier than majority of the restaurants though.

Overall the restaurants were poorer than the buffet. I suspect because a lot of it was buffet food reheated.

We will be returning to Mexico again hopefully, loved the country, people and Akumal Beach is a must. No need for a tour, just get the collectivo down there and walk into the sea and swim with turtles, incredible! We will not be going to the Grand Sirenis though! All inclusive means food is a big part of the price and it was just shocking!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank JayHayNay
Grandrivieramaya, Gerente at Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Hola JayHayNay,

Thank you for sharing your comments with all the readers, I appreciate your time and dedication as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

I’m very sorry to read your comments concerning our food quality, it’s understandable that we can’t always be the best for everyone’s discerning tastes .We do have a wide gastronomic offer with 2 main buffets and 8 thematic restaurants “à la Carte”, with a wide variety of both cold and hot dishes to comply the expectations for all ages and nationalities and most of our guests find the service at the resort warm, polite and most of all, efficient.

We hope that despite of this situation you afford us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Jorge Viñuela